AVS Forum banner

4801 - 4820 of 6557 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry for hijacking the thread for just a quickie, but a quickie it will have to be (crazy amounts of work as of late).

I've been a happy 65X900A owner for more than a year but I am thinking of getting a 79X900B. Has anyone come across any good "pro" reviews specifically written for the 79 inch model?

All I come across when I Google it are either reviews for the 65 model that *assume* their verdict applies to the 79 model (different panel - so WTF?), or reviews so shallow and unhelpful they could have been written off the manual of the TV.

I am mainly interested in (a) input lag (b) blacks (c) 4K playback capabilities and (d) settings that work best for movies.

Also, I'd *really* appreciate impressions on the 79 inch model from people who had last year's 65 model, as I did. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry for hijacking the thread for just a quickie, but a quickie it will have to be (crazy amounts of work as of late).

I've been a happy 65X900A owner for more than a year but I am thinking of getting a 79X900B. Has anyone come across any good "pro" reviews specifically written for the 79 inch model?

All I come across when I Google it are either reviews for the 65 model that *assume* their verdict applies to the 79 model (different panel - so WTF?), or reviews so shallow and unhelpful they could have been written off the manual of the TV.

I am mainly interested in (a) input lag (b) blacks (c) 4K playback capabilities and (d) settings that work best for movies.

Also, I'd *really* appreciate impressions on the 79 inch model from people who had last year's 65 model, as I did. Thanks in advance!
Input lag: not noticeable
Blacks: as "good" as any ips panel (good for a well lit room, bad for ht)
4k: play most files via usb (no dlna support for uhd) and upres all other sources pretty well

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my set for about 2 weeks now, and am struggling with it a bit-- may return it actually.

I'm upgrading from a Panasonic TH-37PX50U, which I have loved, but it's a bit small for my present room (viewing distance 11-14 feet). It makes me feel crazy to try describe this-- I'm trying to upgrade from a 10 year old 37in 720p set, and I'm struggling with a 55in 4K set? I must be nuts.

The sony is great for certain things: football and news for example, look great.

The problems I have with the sony seem to be 3 things:
(1) the picture is very problematic for action scenes in movies, fight scenes for example seem to just be a blur of colors and motion, I can't really see what's happening. This problem even shows up to a lesser degree in sit-coms, not due to fight scenes, just what seems to be motion-blur? Is that what I'm experiencing? Anyone know any setting changes that can help with this?

(2) The TV seems to introduce panning into scenes that did not have panning before-- meaning the camera appers to pan left and right in scenes where I had not previously noticed this motion. I can't tell if I'm making this up, if I'm just noticing something now that has been there all along, or if this is a result of a setting or possibly the upscaling. It gives programs an effect like you're watching a stationary TV from a boat that is moving around. Anyone know what this is? Is this one of the smoothing things, cinemotion, upscaling? I apologize for not understanding these things, and am trying to figure it out.

(3) I'm making progress on getting the sound better, but it's tricky. Does anyone have any particular sound settings that really seem to be favorable. I know that viewing environments differ, but it's worth a try as a starting point. I've been using the "advanced auto volume" set at 'normal' a lot, but this sometimes creates a very "tinny" quality to the dialog. Some shows are better with this 'off' and some are better with this at 'normal'. Also if I don't adjust the volume offset up to 4 or above, I find myself watching shows at a volume level of 60-80-- yes 80, sometimes I put the TV at 80 to get what seems to be normal sound-- compared to 15 or so on my 10 year old tiny Panasonic.

I'm starting to get the feeling that this isn't a TV that you can just turn on and watch-- it seems like you have to adjust settings with every channel switch, and that really isn't what I want. Maybe I just haven't gotten it set up right. All help is appreciated, thanks.
I've spent some more time trying to figure out this set, and with regard to my problems I've found the following:

(1) motion blur remains a problem. I can seem to minimize it with adjusting the settings, sometimes quite quickly, but sometimes not so quickly.

(2) the panning artifact is likely a result of the various smoothing attempts, it can be pretty much eliminated by adjusting the smoothing settings. Sometimes this will result in more motion blur, but sometimes not. I suspected this was the cause of this problem initially.

(3) Sound settings can be optimized. For me that means a volume offset of 3 or higher for any source. Usually the "advanced auto volume" is best placed to normal. Supposedly there are ways to configure the external subwoofer, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Overall, it seems to be a very fickle TV. It isn't something I have been able to configure in such a way that I can just turn it on and watch across a variety of programming. Almost every channel change requires re-configuring the settings in some way to optimize it. This can be done more quickly as you gain experience with the set, but it isn't easy to figure out up front and the manual and SONY online resources are very poor. Sony's customer support also not so good.

·
Registered
773 Posts
They delivered my 79" X900B.

It is a very confusing set :)

Watched some BD and it looks incredible. My PS4 however looks terrible. Flat, washed out, and very dark. My 850B this replaced looked fine.

I get a decent amount of clouding on black scenes and the lower right has a lot of light bleed through.

I never notice the bleed through except letterbox which is most BD's.

It's the first TV I've considered having calibrated.

·
Registered
494 Posts
has anyone compared this to the 79 inch Samsung side by side. I can get a brand new 79 inch for $5k from the friend and family at Sony.
The samsung still hovers around 8k.

Curious to hear anyone who has had the chance to do a side by side

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looking to pick this set up but am worried this tv won't work with 4K blu-ray. Since this is only a 8 bit panel could they still work and if so would I be losing PQ? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I noticed the new list price on the XBR-79X900B is now only $7,499.99. So if you recently paid $7,999.99 you might be entitled to a $500 refund.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I tried the HD Club 4K video and it stutters like crazy after 30 seconds or so.

Very disappointed in that and the lack of USB 3, I think buffering is the issue not so much read speed. Plays fine on my Samsung F9000 with '14 Evolution box.

I got mine on Friends/Family so I'm a bit more willing to forgive some of these things but if I had paid the full price some of the features do not seem ready for prime time.

LG just dropped the price of their 79" IPS 4K to $5999.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Very disappointed in that and the lack of USB 3, I think buffering is the issue not so much read speed. Plays fine on my Samsung F9000 with '14 Evolution box.

I got mine on Friends/Family so I'm a bit more willing to forgive some of these things but if I had paid the full price some of the features do not seem ready for prime time.

LG just dropped the price of their 79" IPS 4K to $5999.
It is not related to usb speed. Usb 2 has enough bandwidth.
Try formatting the usb stick.
It is give/take on those tvs. The samsung won't play any of the weird res videos (elysium trailer 4096x2304 and others) while the sony plays fine.
Sony does not support 4k via dnla, samsung does.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
has anyone compared this to the 79 inch Samsung side by side. I can get a brand new 79 inch for $5k from the friend and family at Sony.
The samsung still hovers around 8k.

Curious to hear anyone who has had the chance to do a side by side
I did a side by side in Magnolia before purchasing the Sony 79". Sony had better upscaling and Samsung had better blacks in the showroom. After professional callibration on the Sony, I think the blacks are as good as the showroom Samsung.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Looking to pick this set up but am worried this tv won't work with 4K blu-ray. Since this is only a 8 bit panel could they still work and if so would I be losing PQ? Thanks for the help.
The important thing for Blu-ray 4k is HDCP 2.2, of which the Sony (and all others claiming 2.2, today) has the "Lite" version. The full HDCP 2.2 chips won't be available until several months into 2015. Will the Blu-ray 4K standard be compatible with the lite version? Probably, at lower video performance. Yes, the color performance of the current 79" Sony will lose color performance, compared to a 10 or 12-bit 4:4:4 color signal--which will only be attainable with OLED or quantum-dot TV's. Your money, your choice. I went for now, knowing this as I wanted a big TV that I could afford now, not in 2 years; with the expectation that Blu-ray 4K will be backward compatible, though with less than the full color performance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The important thing for Blu-ray 4k is HDCP 2.2, of which the Sony (and all others claiming 2.2, today) has the "Lite" version. The full HDCP 2.2 chips won't be available until several months into 2015. Will the Blu-ray 4K standard be compatible with the lite version? Probably, at lower video performance. Yes, the color performance of the current 79" Sony will lose color performance, compared to a 10 or 12-bit 4:4:4 color signal--which will only be attainable with OLED or quantum-dot TV's. Your money, your choice. I went for now, knowing this as I wanted a big TV that I could afford now, not in 2 years; with the expectation that Blu-ray 4K will be backward compatible, though with less than the full color performance.
So I really won't be losing anything then. Correct? Also how do you like this TV?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hdcp is only for drm/content protection and is separate from the hdmi spec (i.e hdmi chips on most 2014 tvs that are hdcp 2.2 compliant don't have full hdmi 2.0 spec support).

Full specs for an "eventual" 4k bray have not been finalized (things like 8-10 bits, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 support, hdr, etc).

http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
As bassplayer said, you're confusing HDCP with HDMI. I wouldn't expect that from you, Ted. These TV's are fully HDCP 2.2 compliant on one or more HDMI sockets.

As for 10/12-bit 4:4:4, bear in mind that while HDMI 2.0 can do that up to 30p, the 50/60p 10/12-bit variants max out at 4:2:2 because not even HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth to handle them, so IMO we won't be seeing 10/12-bit 4:4:4 consumer video delivered into homes for quite a few years yet.

And I do believe that the current Sony 4K sets have 10-bit panels (this is the one in the 55 inch X9 A series, for example: http://www.panelook.com/T550QVD02.0 CELL_AUO_55_CELL_overview_19718.html), so if 4K Blu-ray ends up being 10-bit 4:2:2 (but 4:2:0 is likelier) then these sets will be just fine for 4K content up to 30p.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
As bassplayer said, you're confusing HDCP with HDMI. I wouldn't expect that from you, Ted. These TV's are fully HDCP 2.2 compliant on one or more HDMI sockets.

As for 10/12-bit 4:4:4, bear in mind that while HDMI 2.0 can do that up to 30p, the 50/60p 10/12-bit variants max out at 4:2:2 because not even HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth to handle them, so IMO we won't be seeing 10/12-bit 4:4:4 consumer video delivered into homes for quite a few years yet.

And I do believe that the current Sony 4K sets have 10-bit panels (this is the one in the 55 inch X9 A series, for example: http://www.panelook.com/T550QVD02.0 CELL_AUO_55_CELL_overview_19718.html), so if 4K Blu-ray ends up being 10-bit 4:2:2 (but 4:2:0 is likelier) then these sets will be just fine for 4K content up to 30p.
Oops! Don't try to do many thoughts at once. It's the HDMI 2.0 spec that will be upgraded to 4K 60fps in early 2015. To respond to a number of comments. I love the set and am very happy with it. Things will be better in the future, but this set is one that will be able to keep up with the future, although not at the highest performance of the future, such as REC 2020. Consider the source materials. All legacy video is 24 fps. The Blu ray 4K standard may allow 60fps, but it'll only be native 60fps if it was shot in a digital master, not film (the future, but not a lot, now). The REC 2020 color standard will be great, but it's a few years away. So, all in all, I think the 79" is a good buy for a 5-year horizon. An early post in this thread quoted the panel manufacturer's specs for the 79" as IPS, 8-bit. The specs for the 65" and smaller were different. However, when I run the Netflix resolution clip, which tests your display's performance, my 79" goes all the way to 4K and 10-bit. So, it is a 10-bit panel, or Sony is doing electronic trickery to get 10-bit performance out of the display? I don't know. When I crank up a blu-ray, the upper left corner of the screen can flash up 1080P 10-bit and sometimes 12-bit. What does this mean?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

Very disappointed in that and the lack of USB 3, I think buffering is the issue not so much read speed.
I have the same problem on my 65X900B on ALL 4K content, either on USB or via DLNA media server. Have tried different brands of USB stick, formatting NTFS vs. ExFAT, different USB port.

Nothing works.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Oops! Don't try to do many thoughts at once. It's the HDMI 2.0 spec that will be upgraded to 4K 60fps in early 2015. To respond to a number of comments. I love the set and am very happy with it. Things will be better in the future, but this set is one that will be able to keep up with the future, although not at the highest performance of the future, such as REC 2020. Consider the source materials. All legacy video is 24 fps. The Blu ray 4K standard may allow 60fps, but it'll only be native 60fps if it was shot in a digital master, not film (the future, but not a lot, now). The REC 2020 color standard will be great, but it's a few years away. So, all in all, I think the 79" is a good buy for a 5-year horizon. An early post in this thread quoted the panel manufacturer's specs for the 79" as IPS, 8-bit. The specs for the 65" and smaller were different. However, when I run the Netflix resolution clip, which tests your display's performance, my 79" goes all the way to 4K and 10-bit. So, it is a 10-bit panel, or Sony is doing electronic trickery to get 10-bit performance out of the display? I don't know. When I crank up a blu-ray, the upper left corner of the screen can flash up 1080P 10-bit and sometimes 12-bit. What does this mean?
Blu-ray is encoded as 8-bit video, if you're getting 10 or 12-bit flashing up when playing a disc then you've got the Deep Colour settings enabled on your BD player.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I picked up a 65" x900B from best buy today. This last week I've tried a few TVs. I wanted local dimming, 4k and I messed around with picture settings and such as much as possible to get the best picture out of each TV I could.

First the 65" Vizio P series which I didn't like because it had a green line of pixels all down the right side during some content, the Netflix 4k looked awful (didn't even look like 4k except in the title sequence...so strange), when off my computer would lose connection to the extent it didn't know it was there, and the backlight didn't seem to know what it was doing and was easily confused during dark scenes in moves and would flicker and just be very distracting. Overall though it looked pretty good, I would have been happy saving the money if it had just worked better but I have no faith in them fixing it with a firmware update at all. I didn't want to be stuck with this TV hoping and praying vizio would fix it.

Then I exchanged that for the 65" Samsung hu8550 (I didn't want a curved TV so this is their top of the line for me). The netflix experience was very much improved compared to the vizio--it looked great. The TV looked good overall despite some light bleed from the edges but I could live with that. The thing I couldn't live with was it didn't work with my computer at all (I'm just running Win 8.1 with 2 Nvidia GTX 780Ti, nothing crazy). The other thing I noticed with the samsung is it has terrible viewing angles. I know everyone complains LCDs are bad with viewing angles etc etc but the Samsung really takes the cake. Honestly I think Samsung alone must be the reason people bring up viewing angles so much--they were just such a joke on this TV. The $800 cheaper Vizio was much better in this regard and the Sony simply blows it out of the water. The Samsung would be entirely unwatchable from a 45" angle however the Sony is basically fine.

So I got the Sony. I was very surprised that it weighed 2x as much as the other TVs (101lbs without stand!) so that made it a bit of a challenge to get up on my wall but it looks great. Picture is much better than the vizio and better still than the samsung. It also works great with my computer and even runs at 3840x2160 @ 60Hz with the Nvidia GTX 980 I tested with. As far as I know the GTX 980 series is the only card out right now that has FULL HDMI 2.0 support, so it's good to know it works well. I tested that it was indeed at 60hz with the blur busters UFO test it also works fine with adjusting refresh rate to match video in xbmc/kodi to 24hz for instance for movies. I know a few people in this thread have asked about that so...there it is. It works. The TV is fast, it's a lot faster than our Sony 55HX950 in every respect--changing inputs, loading apps like netflix, switching framerates, even getting to settings like picture brightness. It's a very noticeable and welcome upgrade.

However I do seem to have a problem with my example. There is a big blob of backlight bleed near the middle of the screen (as with the edges) but it's very distracting because of its location and the fact that it's bright enough it's noticeable over peoples faces and clothes in indoor scenes. The only time it isn't noticeable is in bright scenes. I know the x950B would solve problems like these but this TV is already expensive enough that I don't feel like this is something that is acceptable. I'm also not willing to spend the extra $3000 just for the full array--I'd much rather wait a year and get an OLED when the prices drop if that is my only option.

Attached is a photo of what it looks like on a black background (the white bar at the bottom is from the taskbar but it doesn't cause the issue--it happens on a completely black screen too.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? I have tried changing the backlight and the brightness but it seems to have little to no effect. Should I contact Sony or Best Buy or do you guys consider this something you would live with? The edge bleed especially on the left seems rather excessive to me as well but I could almost live with that as it isn't very distracting.
thanks for verifying my question which was [email protected] from pc. I would love to get this tv but all light bleeds and clouding horror stories are giving me second thoughts. I don't understand why a company like Sony can't make a panel free from uniformity problems, especially at the prices they're asking for.

4801 - 4820 of 6557 Posts