AVS Forum banner

4821 - 4840 of 6557 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I picked up a 65" x900B from best buy today. This last week I've tried a few TVs. I wanted local dimming, 4k and I messed around with picture settings and such as much as possible to get the best picture out of each TV I could.

First the 65" Vizio P series which I didn't like because it had a green line of pixels all down the right side during some content, the Netflix 4k looked awful (didn't even look like 4k except in the title sequence...so strange), when off my computer would lose connection to the extent it didn't know it was there, and the backlight didn't seem to know what it was doing and was easily confused during dark scenes in moves and would flicker and just be very distracting. Overall though it looked pretty good, I would have been happy saving the money if it had just worked better but I have no faith in them fixing it with a firmware update at all. I didn't want to be stuck with this TV hoping and praying vizio would fix it.

Then I exchanged that for the 65" Samsung hu8550 (I didn't want a curved TV so this is their top of the line for me). The netflix experience was very much improved compared to the vizio--it looked great. The TV looked good overall despite some light bleed from the edges but I could live with that. The thing I couldn't live with was it didn't work with my computer at all (I'm just running Win 8.1 with 2 Nvidia GTX 780Ti, nothing crazy). The other thing I noticed with the samsung is it has terrible viewing angles. I know everyone complains LCDs are bad with viewing angles etc etc but the Samsung really takes the cake. Honestly I think Samsung alone must be the reason people bring up viewing angles so much--they were just such a joke on this TV. The $800 cheaper Vizio was much better in this regard and the Sony simply blows it out of the water. The Samsung would be entirely unwatchable from a 45" angle however the Sony is basically fine.

So I got the Sony. I was very surprised that it weighed 2x as much as the other TVs (101lbs without stand!) so that made it a bit of a challenge to get up on my wall but it looks great. Picture is much better than the vizio and better still than the samsung. It also works great with my computer and even runs at 3840x2160 @ 60Hz with the Nvidia GTX 980 I tested with. As far as I know the GTX 980 series is the only card out right now that has FULL HDMI 2.0 support, so it's good to know it works well. I tested that it was indeed at 60hz with the blur busters UFO test it also works fine with adjusting refresh rate to match video in xbmc/kodi to 24hz for instance for movies. I know a few people in this thread have asked about that so...there it is. It works. The TV is fast, it's a lot faster than our Sony 55HX950 in every respect--changing inputs, loading apps like netflix, switching framerates, even getting to settings like picture brightness. It's a very noticeable and welcome upgrade.

However I do seem to have a problem with my example. There is a big blob of backlight bleed near the middle of the screen (as with the edges) but it's very distracting because of its location and the fact that it's bright enough it's noticeable over peoples faces and clothes in indoor scenes. The only time it isn't noticeable is in bright scenes. I know the x950B would solve problems like these but this TV is already expensive enough that I don't feel like this is something that is acceptable. I'm also not willing to spend the extra $3000 just for the full array--I'd much rather wait a year and get an OLED when the prices drop if that is my only option.

Attached is a photo of what it looks like on a black background (the white bar at the bottom is from the taskbar but it doesn't cause the issue--it happens on a completely black screen too.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? I have tried changing the backlight and the brightness but it seems to have little to no effect. Should I contact Sony or Best Buy or do you guys consider this something you would live with? The edge bleed especially on the left seems rather excessive to me as well but I could almost live with that as it isn't very distracting.
thanks for verifying my question which was [email protected] from pc. I would love to get this tv but all light bleeds and clouding horror stories are giving me second thoughts. I don't understand why a company like Sony can't make a panel free from uniformity problems specially for the asking price.

Also, that picture you posted of your Sony showing major uniformity problems looks horrific. Did you manage to exchange it for a new one? Can you please confirm if the Sony 900b series uses a true 10 bit panel?
thanks!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,822 (Edited)
As for 10/12-bit 4:4:4, bear in mind that while HDMI 2.0 can do that up to 30p, the 50/60p 10/12-bit variants max out at 4:2:2 because not even HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth to handle them, so IMO we won't be seeing 10/12-bit 4:4:4 consumer video delivered into homes for quite a few years yet.
Are you sure?

According to this Pioneer Elite rep - HDMI 2.0 can handle it - you just have to find a TV that can also...

"These are the first flagship Blu-ray players Pioneer has released in four years. They upconvert content to 4K at 60 fps at 4:4:4 which is a first. This player uses the very highest bandwidth capability of the new HDMI 2.0 spec."

:confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am just getting into configuration on my XBR-X900B. I am watching blurays and they look awesome. There is one issue I see that I don't know where to start and was looking for assistance.

When I watch a movie like avengers it looks awesome until there is a lot of action. When the action starts its almost like the picture isn't getting the full fps or somehow can't keep up. It's just not extremely smooth.

Is this something that has to do with my blu player or is this something that I need to set on the tv? For example is this the MotionFlow setting?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just bought the 65 and it is beautiful. I have a 60f8000 and there is definitely a difference between Sonys and Samsung's that I am getting used too. If I turn on the master in 4k when not watching a blu ray will it make a difference? Is it only worth turning on when watching a blu Ray that is mastered in 4k?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just bought the 65 and it is beautiful. I have a 60f8000 and there is definitely a difference between Sonys and Samsung's that I am getting used too. If I turn on the master in 4k when not watching a blu ray will it make a difference? Is it only worth turning on when watching a blu Ray that is mastered in 4k?
I'm taking delivery of a 55" 900B in a couple of weeks and i'm coming from a HX950 which was defective. I can't wait :)

I hope it's a step up from the HX950 which was great

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just received my 65X900B from Sony finally. The picture is great with realistic colors. Probably the best overall picture I have seen. The colors are more accurate than last years X80a and X900A series. The set is huge but looks great. The reflections on the screen are not bad at all, if fact no worse than the X850A which I had previously.

Like all TV these days the set has some small issues, no set is perfect. With one day of viewing I can see a little banding in the upper center of the set. I also see a little flash lighting in the lower right corner. The flash lighting is very small , it actually looks more like light breeding through the edge of the corner and you can only see the faint light along the edge in a very dark room on letterbox signals.

Then something else I just notice was a line along the complete extreme outer edge of the screen when I use pixel to pixel or -1 for over scan in the screen menu as appose to normal over scan. Has anyone seen this in their TV's using the -1 for over scan ? Using the -1 setting for over scan provides a sharper picture and truer up scaling I have heard. This over scan setting can be found under picture settings then screen settings then display area.

This is what I discovered so far hope none of these issues are deal breaker. I truly believe that TV these day do have a break in panel probably due to the Panels especially the Triluminos panels (this is my own experience).

Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am just getting into configuration on my XBR-X900B. I am watching blurays and they look awesome. There is one issue I see that I don't know where to start and was looking for assistance.

When I watch a movie like avengers it looks awesome until there is a lot of action. When the action starts its almost like the picture isn't getting the full fps or somehow can't keep up. It's just not extremely smooth.

Is this something that has to do with my blu player or is this something that I need to set on the tv? For example is this the MotionFlow setting?
Thanks in advance.

What motion flow settings are you using? I like clear but many like standard. Your motion should be fine with this setting. Shut off all your filters in the setting but keep Reality Creation. What kind of blue ray player do you have? What are you setting on the blue ray? Try resetting the blueray player. What kind of HDMI cables are you using. You should use well made High Speed cables with a length of no more than 10 to 12 ft.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys,

Posted here earlier without any response sadly. I've exchanged my X85 for the X9005B, but I have a pretty huge issue with the clouding of this TV-set.

Can any of you guys comment if this is considered "normal" for this TV? Or is there a panel defect I have?
The white light at the sides are quite visible with most of the content sadly. I'm not sure what to do as exchanging it is no longer possible...

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
What motion flow settings are you using? I like clear but many like standard. Your motion should be fine with this setting. Shut off all your filters in the setting but keep Reality Creation. What kind of blue ray player do you have? What are you setting on the blue ray? Try resetting the blueray player. What kind of HDMI cables are you using. You should use well made High Speed cables with a length of no more than 10 to 12 ft.

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. I will try turning off the other settings.

How much of this can be due to the BluRay player. Sadly I need to upgrade mine.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi guys,

Posted here earlier without any response sadly. I've exchanged my X85 for the X9005B, but I have a pretty huge issue with the clouding of this TV-set.

Can any of you guys comment if this is considered "normal" for this TV? Or is there a panel defect I have?
The white light at the sides are quite visible with most of the content sadly. I'm not sure what to do as exchanging it is no longer possible...

This is not normal. If you cannot return to where you bought it work with Sony to repair or replace.

I just got my 65X900B and I have very little flash lighting in the lower left hand corner. I do have some banding in the upper middle that show up in a medium gray field but not too much in a regular picture, need more tine to evaluate. The picture is fantastic.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So I really won't be losing anything then. Correct? Also how do you like this TV?
Let me see if I can tie this stuff together:
At the moment, HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are joined at the hip. The current implementing hardware for 4K requires HDCP 2.2, but the maximum bandwidth for HDMI 2.0 is 10.2 Gbps when the two are used in conjunction. In early 2015, a new chip will be available which will allow HDMI 2.0 to pass 18 Gbps in conjunction with HDCP 2.2. This is sufficient for 60 fps and a wider color gamut, which OLED and Quantum-dot LCD displays will be able to show.

Current displays with the currently limited HDMI 2.0 are able to display any currently available 4K material. If the new 4K Blu-ray standard allows, but does not require things such as 12-bit color and 60fps, Blu-ray 4K will be backward compatible with current 4K displays, so long as they have HDCP 2.2, which is mandatory. The smart money is on backward compatibility.

So, a current 4K set with HDCP 2.2 will continue to be very useful for many years, so long as you can live without 60 fps (all current film-based movies are shot at 24 fps) and a broader color spectrum than is currently available.

I love the set.

·
AVS Forum Addicted Member
537 Posts
So as of this morning Samsung owners are reporting the Ultraflix app available. I thought this was coming to Sony?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140915005831/en/NanoTech’s-UltraFlix™-4K-Streaming-Network-featured-Sony#.VHX51MlNcQY

Samsung is getting DirecTV 4K compatibility first, now Ultraflix first. Sony is really dropping the [CENSORED] ball. I'm starting to question my choice of 4K set... :(
Perhaps for now but any exclusives will be very short lived, 4k has a limited audience as it is so no content distributor is going to limit their business to one manufacturer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
900B vs 850B

What are the differences between the 900B vs the 850B? I just bought the 55" 900B for $2300 with 36 months financing, free subwoofer, mounting kit, cables, and 4 year extended warranty thrown in for free. But I can get the 55" 850B for $1370 with everything included above minus the subwoofer. I'm using it primarily as a computer monitor for work, gaming, and movie watching. My work is paying for all of it if i get the 850B or half of it if I buy the 900B. I don't really care about the money but I want to know picture quality wise is there a significant difference. I have 2 Radeon R9 290's on crossfire watercooled.

PS: I bought the 900B yesterday but haven't opened it yet. I don't really need the subwoofer since I have 2 subwoofers already. One elemental Designs 18" sub and a Diysoundgroup 10" Ultimax subwoofer that I built with a Behringer Inuke NU1000DSP amp running at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
IMO the contrast and black levels of the 900B and 950B are considerably better than the 850B. If you view the sets side by side on a variety of sources, it jumps out at you. The 850B is a considerable step down in my opinion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
At the moment, HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are joined at the hip. The current implementing hardware for 4K requires HDCP 2.2, but the maximum bandwidth for HDMI 2.0 is 10.2 Gbps when the two are used in conjunction. In early 2015, a new chip will be available which will allow HDMI 2.0 to pass 18 Gbps in conjunction with HDCP 2.2. This is sufficient for 60 fps and a wider color gamut, which OLED and Quantum-dot LCD displays will be able to show.

Current displays with the currently limited HDMI 2.0 are able to display any currently available 4K material. If the new 4K Blu-ray standard allows, but does not require things such as 12-bit color and 60fps, Blu-ray 4K will be backward compatible with current 4K displays, so long as they have HDCP 2.2, which is mandatory. The smart money is on backward compatibility.

So, a current 4K set with HDCP 2.2 will continue to be very useful for many years, so long as you can live without 60 fps (all current film-based movies are shot at 24 fps) and a broader color spectrum than is currently available.

I love the set.
Thank you for all the helpful information!!! Bought it off Amazon and it is being delivered on Monday. I can't wait!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are the differences between the 900B vs the 850B? I just bought the 55" 900B for $2300 with 36 months financing, free subwoofer, mounting kit, cables, and 4 year extended warranty thrown in for free. But I can get the 55" 850B for $1370 with everything included above minus the subwoofer. I'm using it primarily as a computer monitor for work, gaming, and movie watching. My work is paying for all of it if i get the 850B or half of it if I buy the 900B. I don't really care about the money but I want to know picture quality wise is there a significant difference. I have 2 Radeon R9 290's on crossfire watercooled.

PS: I bought the 900B yesterday but haven't opened it yet. I don't really need the subwoofer since I have 2 subwoofers already. One elemental Designs 18" sub and a Diysoundgroup 10" Ultimax subwoofer that I built with a Behringer Inuke NU1000DSP amp running at 2 ohms.
Where did you get such a great deal?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for all the helpful information!!! Bought it off Amazon and it is being delivered on Monday. I can't wait!!
And don't forget the Sony set already has an extended colour palette with Triluminos.

Not many movies support this fully, but the TV already outputs a slightly extended palette already on some scene settings.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

I love the set.
The 60p part is incorrect. The 10.2 Gb/s HDMI implementation in these sets is perfectly capable of displaying 4K 60fps content at 8-bit 4:2:0 colour which is essentially Blu-ray quality encoding, albeit with x4 as many colour pixels as what 1080p Blu-ray offers.

And bear in mind that even the full-fat 18 Gb/s HDMI 2.0 version does NOT support higher colour sampling than 4:2:2 for 10/12-bit 60p 4K content because it doesn't have enough bandwidth.

·
Registered
773 Posts
With the Netflix app does it show 2160 when its playing 4K when using the Display button?

I only see 1080 but the picture looks close to what my Samsung F9000 does but it shows 2160p.

It's a little hard to tell since one is 55 and the other is 79 but streaming quality on the Sony seems much worse. It drops down to 288/480 and its not my connection or hardware.

Put on the same content on my Samsung and I get probably 10 seconds of 480 before it pops to 2160.

4821 - 4840 of 6557 Posts