AVS Forum banner

4841 - 4860 of 6557 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yes, the Netflix app shows 2160 @ 4K.

How do you know the dropdown to 288/480 isn't network related? It may not be YOUR network connection, but bottlenecking at Netflix's end or somewhere in between.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes, the Netflix app shows 2160 @ 4K.

How do you know the dropdown to 288/480 isn't network related? It may not be YOUR network connection, but bottlenecking at Netflix's end or somewhere in between.
15' away my Samsung F9000 plays it perfect at 2160p.

I have a fantastic connection here at home. Regularly see over 120mbps and have never had a single problem streaming anything, from any provider at the max resolution.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
@Eric Connelly

Since you have both sets, which ultimately you prefer in terms of picture quality....900b or f9000. These are the two sets I'm looking at the moment and I keep going back and forth which is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
@Eric Connelly

Since you have both sets, which ultimately you prefer in terms of picture quality....900b or f9000. These are the two sets I'm looking at the moment and I keep going back and forth which is driving me crazy.
It is kind of tough to say since I use them for different reasons.

The TV in our bedroom, the F9000 we mostly watch streamed TV, or DirecTV over a Genie, which is not as good as watching it not he originating DVR. We also watch Blu-Ray's but they are usually comedies or something similar and just play off a spare PS3.

The Sony we watch BD off of a Oppo 103. This is where our HT stuff is so the bigger production movies. Some TV, and I game a lot on it.

BD looks spectacular on the Sony but overall out of the box the Samsung looks more appealing. Not better, just easier to watch and more colorful.

I have not had the Sony calibrated yet. For gaming the Samsung hands down. The Sony looks washed out on my PS4, but then again I need to get it calibrated. It insists on using this game mode when the PS4 is on which washes everything out.

From a technology standpoint the Samsung is 10X better than the Sony. It's faster, easier to use, etc.

The Sony would not have been the TV I picked as of today, maybe that will change once its calibrated. I did get it because I got it nearly half off cost so nothing could touch that. The closest TV would have been a the LG 79" 4K IPS at 6K. So for saving between $1,500 and $2,500 depending on the set I can live with the differences. Since most of what we do is BD on the Sony its excellent.

The Samsung aesthetics are much nicer although now that the Sony is mounted its awkward size and shape are not noticeable. Horrible light bleed on the Sony but I've heard this is common on all sets of that size unless you get FALD. Since I mounted it with a slight angle downwards light bleed is much better, so must be flex in the cabinet. The Samsung is better but much smaller TV so not a comparison I would make.

One place the Sony excels and for today's content makes it all worth it is upscaling. Nothing comes close to what Sony does with upscaling and I have the latest '14 Evolution box, Sony is still superior and does a great job with even crappy content.

Bottom line the Samsung looks good no matter what you put on the screen. The Sony does not. BD is incredible, other stuff looks more washed out, but again needs to be calibrated.

If today someone offered me a direct trade of a Samsung 79" or LG 79" for the Sony I'd take it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
@Eric C onnelly

That's strange what you say about the Sony xbr-900b. When I see the Sony in person at Best Buy, the colors have more pop than any other tv due to their triluminos tech, it looks anything but washed out. Also, Sony's are known to have the fastest response times something like sub 40ms which makes them great for gaming. Now I'm really confused! Too bad Samsung's are enamored with their curved screens which I really hate. I mainly use the tv as a dedicated computer monitor as I use my computer for everything...music, movies and 4k gaming.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Need some help. What would be the differences in picture quality between the 2013 model xbr65x850a and the xbr65x900b? I considering the xbrx65x900b and I wanted to know if the difference is worth it. The space I have will be very tight for this model.
It's an apples and oranges comparison. You're straddling not only model years, but also series. The equivalent to this year's 65X900B would be last year's 65X900A, not 850A.

With the 2013 models you cannot stream 4K content without the aid of an external box, whereas with the 2014 models it's built in.

I've not spent any time in person with the 2013 models, but in the 2014 series the black levels and contrast of the 900 series is much improved over the 850 series.

In short, since you are not only dropping back a year in model, but also down a series, the discount on the 850A would have to be ginormous to justify it over a currrent 900B, IMO.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's an apples and oranges comparison. You're straddling not only model years, but also series. The equivalent to this year's 65X900B would be last year's 65X900A, not 850A.

With the 2013 models you cannot stream 4K content without the aid of an external box, whereas with the 2014 models it's built in.

I've not spent any time in person with the 2013 models, but in the 2014 series the black levels and contrast of the 900 series is much improved over the 850 series.

In short, since you are not only dropping back a year in model, but also down a series, the discount on the 850A would have to be ginormous to justify it over a currrent 900B, IMO.
I had the 65x850a and just got the 65x900b. There are good things And bad. The x900b is a brighter and sharper picture that ups ales a lot better. The sound is incredible but it is a huge set.

Now for the down sides. There is more flash lighting than the x850a and the blacks are better on the x850a. I also am grtting more banding to where I can see it sometimes on fast moving sports on the x900b.

The overall picture is better on the x900b but I need more time determining if I can live with the banding, slight light bleed in lower right and slight loading in the middle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
@Eric C onnelly

That's strange what you say about the Sony xbr-900b. When I see the Sony in person at Best Buy, the colors have more pop than any other tv due to their triluminos tech, it looks anything but washed out. Also, Sony's are known to have the fastest response times something like sub 40ms which makes them great for gaming. Now I'm really confused! Too bad Samsung's are enamored with their curved screens which I really hate. I mainly use the tv as a dedicated computer monitor as I use my computer for everything...music, movies and 4k gaming.
On BD it is a superior picture to anything else I've seen minus OLED and the 950B.

Outside of BD, its washed out.

I'll see how it is after calibration.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was hoping a firmware update might fix this at some point but I'm not liking my chances at this stage. Has anybody found a solution for 3D cross-talk? I find that with any motionflow turned on there is huge amounts of cross-talk. If motionflow is turned off then there is no cross-talk but then the picture moves wrong. The picture has so much judder I can't watch it without motionflow. Anybody found a happy medium between these two?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Xbr79x900b anyone else having Internet issues. ..I had 3 set replaced and it still drops out very often when streaming. ..Thank God the finally put Vudu on these...when will we get amazon 4k streaming or that other 4k streaming service I heard Sony made a deal with. ...I have a 350MBS Download and 75MBS upload speed from my isp and I can do a speed test on my cell while watching the TV and it showing no Internet on the TV bur my speed is above the quota and it's like the Sonys WiFi adapter is a piece of crap

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
On BD it is a superior picture to anything else I've seen minus OLED and the 950B.

Outside of BD, its washed out.

I'll see how it is after calibration.
when you say outside of BD does that mean your desktop? and why would the colors look washed out with other material? At Best Buy, they show all kind of sources and all look incredible. It could be a settings issue. Just recently, I discovered that I had my video card's dynamic range set wrong all this time by sending a limited range of 16 to 236 instead of full 0 to 255 which made a world of difference in colors. Now all the colors on my desktop and movies look incredible, not triluminous incredible, but much better than before LOL!!!:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just got this TV and was looking forward to the 4k play back but I found that the sound stutters with a couple of different files. Also even my 720p files didn't have the smoothest playback from usb. Anyone else find this?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yes. Seems to be a defect in the set. No solution found thus far. Certain 4K content plays ok, but most does not.

4841 - 4860 of 6557 Posts