AVS Forum banner

4861 - 4880 of 6557 Posts

·
Banned
179 Posts
Finding the 3D on the 79X9005B to be pretty unwatchable on newer Marvel films (Iron Man 3, Captain America 2, Thor 2) due to motion blur.

Emailed Sony 2.5 months ago and keep getting the line "that this has been forwarded to the tech team"

For a £7000 TV, pretty disappointed. Motion blur/ghosting is abysmal for faster paced scenes (Lego Movie was completely unwatchable).

It seems to have gotten worse, not sure if that's a side effect of recent firmware updates.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
From Moderator on Sony Forum:

Netflix app broken on new X850B.

Hello to all,

Greetings and thank you all for your messages . We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the issue you are currently experiencing with the Netlix application shutting off and restarting the sets. Our engineering department is already aware of this issue that seems to have started back on December 3rd as reported by other customers after the last firmware upgrade and is currently working closely with Netflix to address the issue as soon as possible and find a permanent solution to this problem.

We appreciate the patience regarding this issue and the reports regarding your experience with your units, we will keep you posted if there is any update available from our engineering department .

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I thought the Sony's 4k xbr 900 series were sold tv's but I guess I was wrong.
Quite a few of them have been sold actually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently bought the XBR-65X900B model, and so far loving it, but does anyone have their PS4 hooked up and know if it can run games at 60 fps? I don't think it's running my games at 60 fps like in The Last of Us or Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes. Both those games are supposed to run at 60 fps but when I was playing them I think they were playing at 30 fps. Is there something in the settings I have to change to get 60 fps? I know when I hook up my pc to the tv through HDMI and I set the resolution to 3840x2160 at 60Hz I can definitely tell when it goes above 30 fps in games and it's really smooth, and the PS4 doesn't look like this.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I recently bought the XBR-65X900B model, and so far loving it, but does anyone have their PS4 hooked up and know if it can run games at 60 fps? I don't think it's running my games at 60 fps like in The Last of Us or Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes. Both those games are supposed to run at 60 fps but when I was playing them I think they were playing at 30 fps. Is there something in the settings I have to change to get 60 fps? I know when I hook up my pc to the tv through HDMI and I set the resolution to 3840x2160 at 60Hz I can definitely tell when it goes above 30 fps in games and it's really smooth, and the PS4 doesn't look like this.
Have you tried enabling game mode?
What you seeing is probably lag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I switched it to Game mode. The thing is, I had rented those two games when I first bought the tv, so I can't really test them out now, but I did download the game Trials Fusion which runs at 1080p at 60 fps, and it definitely looked like the game was running at 60fps unlike the other two games. Weird.

Only thing I did different that I know of was in PS4 settings I only selected 1080p in options, and I switched the input from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1. So I don't know if one of these things fixed it, or if I am crazy or what. I just know when playing The Last of Us there's an option for 30 fps and 60 fps, and no matter what I would switch it to the game was running the same. And then I just recently found out Metal Gear Ground Zeroes runs at 60 fps, and I was shocked because it didn't seem like 60 fps back when I played it. So I got scared this tv can't do 60 fps or I'm doing something wrong in the settings. But then when hooking up my pc to the tv the other day, I could tell it does do 60 fps because Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition were running at 45-60 fps (using fraps) and it was obvious the game was real smooth, so then I thought maybe it's just the PS4 that can't do 60 fps on this tv. Then yesterday I downloaded the Trials Fusion demo and it does seem to run at 60 fps.

I guess the only real way to tell is rent The Last of Us again and see if I can tell a difference now. Maybe I did something different now that will allow 60 fps that I wasn't doing before.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah I switched it to Game mode. The thing is, I had rented those two games when I first bought the tv, so I can't really test them out now, but I did download the game Trials Fusion which runs at 1080p at 60 fps, and it definitely looked like the game was running at 60fps unlike the other two games. Weird.

Only thing I did different that I know of was in PS4 settings I only selected 1080p in options, and I switched the input from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1. So I don't know if one of these things fixed it, or if I am crazy or what. I just know when playing The Last of Us there's an option for 30 fps and 60 fps, and no matter what I would switch it to the game was running the same. And then I just recently found out Metal Gear Ground Zeroes runs at 60 fps, and I was shocked because it didn't seem like 60 fps back when I played it. So I got scared this tv can't do 60 fps or I'm doing something wrong in the settings. But then when hooking up my pc to the tv the other day, I could tell it does do 60 fps because Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition were running at 45-60 fps (using fraps) and it was obvious the game was real smooth, so then I thought maybe it's just the PS4 that can't do 60 fps on this tv. Then yesterday I downloaded the Trials Fusion demo and it does seem to run at 60 fps.

I guess the only real way to tell is rent The Last of Us again and see if I can tell a difference now. Maybe I did something different now that will allow 60 fps that I wasn't doing before.
Interesting question, i have to go check mine too then. I dont use game mode because you loose quality visual. Since i like my games to look good. I dont care what people says Yes i like good looking visual. I used motion standard on mine. Even tho some games you see motion jags.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Quite a few of them have been sold actually.
lol!! what I meant was solid not sold...lol!!!

Interesting question, i have to go check mine too then. I dont use game mode because you loose quality visual. Since i like my games to look good. I dont care what people says Yes i like good looking visual. I used motion standard on mine. Even tho some games you see motion jags.
what kind of visual quality do you loose?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I've had my set for about 2 weeks now, and am struggling with it a bit-- may return it actually.

I'm upgrading from a Panasonic TH-37PX50U, which I have loved, but it's a bit small for my present room (viewing distance 11-14 feet). It makes me feel crazy to try describe this-- I'm trying to upgrade from a 10 year old 37in 720p set, and I'm struggling with a 55in 4K set? I must be nuts.

The sony is great for certain things: football and news for example, look great.

The problems I have with the sony seem to be 3 things:
(1) the picture is very problematic for action scenes in movies, fight scenes for example seem to just be a blur of colors and motion, I can't really see what's happening. This problem even shows up to a lesser degree in sit-coms, not due to fight scenes, just what seems to be motion-blur? Is that what I'm experiencing? Anyone know any setting changes that can help with this?

(2) The TV seems to introduce panning into scenes that did not have panning before-- meaning the camera appers to pan left and right in scenes where I had not previously noticed this motion. I can't tell if I'm making this up, if I'm just noticing something now that has been there all along, or if this is a result of a setting or possibly the upscaling. It gives programs an effect like you're watching a stationary TV from a boat that is moving around. Anyone know what this is? Is this one of the smoothing things, cinemotion, upscaling? I apologize for not understanding these things, and am trying to figure it out.

(3) I'm making progress on getting the sound better, but it's tricky. Does anyone have any particular sound settings that really seem to be favorable. I know that viewing environments differ, but it's worth a try as a starting point. I've been using the "advanced auto volume" set at 'normal' a lot, but this sometimes creates a very "tinny" quality to the dialog. Some shows are better with this 'off' and some are better with this at 'normal'. Also if I don't adjust the volume offset up to 4 or above, I find myself watching shows at a volume level of 60-80-- yes 80, sometimes I put the TV at 80 to get what seems to be normal sound-- compared to 15 or so on my 10 year old tiny Panasonic.

I'm starting to get the feeling that this isn't a TV that you can just turn on and watch-- it seems like you have to adjust settings with every channel switch, and that really isn't what I want. Maybe I just haven't gotten it set up right. All help is appreciated, thanks.
im having these same issues with my xbr65x850b that i got last week, the motion just doesnt seem right. and with everything i watch i find myself constantly adjusting the settings. i was thinking of upgrading to the 900b cause i figured the 900 didnt have the motion issues since it has the higher motion rate, but i guess not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Amazon Prime going live with 4k streaming. Awesome service and while the content isn't mind blowing its a good start.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
What's annoying both with Netflix but especially Prime is that there's no one-click way to pull up 4K titles. On Amazon, searching for "4K" or "Ultra HD" doesn't do it. They sure as heck don't make it easy to locate the UHD content...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased the XBR79X900B and should be here next week. I am planning to order the Wall mount from Monoprice.com http://www.monoprice.com/Cart. I would like to know if anyone have use this wall mount on the 79x900b? If yes, how is the quality?
also, I appreciated if you can recommend good wall mount for this tv.

·
Registered
985 Posts
netflix

What's annoying both with Netflix but especially Prime is that there's no one-click way to pull up 4K titles. On Amazon, searching for "4K" or "Ultra HD" doesn't do it. They sure as heck don't make it easy to locate the UHD content...
when I go to the Netflix app it pops right up cause that's how I watch house of cards.
rjv

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My Prime home screen has a category for 4K (Ultra HD)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased the XBR79X900B and should be here next week. I am planning to order the Wall mount from:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=5920&seq=1&format=2
I would like to know if anyone have use this wall mount on the 79x900b? If yes, how is the quality?
also, I appreciated if you can recommend good wall mount for this tv.

Some of the review pointed out this TV doesn't have good Black Level. Not sure if this is true. I was torn between the Samsung 78H9000 and the XBR79X900b. But I took a bite to go with Sony and hopefully I won't regret since they have some QA issues such as Cloud/bleeding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also signed onto Amazon Prime for the 4k content.
I have the 65x900b
A few observations regarding Amazon UHD.
If you call Amazon to verify if your TV is compatible,or if your internet speed can support it, double check the info they give you.
The Amazon site shows all compatible TVs that work. However,they showed the 79" 900b,not the 65".
So when I called to make sure the 65" will work,they told me No,its not compatible with their system. I was a bit surprised since the 79 and 65 are pretty much the same sets,except for their screens.
I asked the Amazon rep,if they are sure about this, and if they could double check. I was put on hold, and again was told the 65 will not work. Frankly i became a bit upset with this, and asked the rep to ask to check again, and explained it made no sense why one model of the 900b series will work , and another one won't .
After being on hold for awhile,the rep came back, and now said Yes,the 65" will work . She finally checked with her tech support dept.
So as a heads up,make sure Amazon double checks the info they give you. Also make sure you give them the complete model number of your TV,for instance,not 65x900b,but Sony XBR 65x900b.
I also have Fios with 20/5 internet speed. Amazon seems ok with that so far. Although the App did get hung up a bit yesterday,to a point,that it locked the Sony, and would not respond to any remote commands. I finally unplugged the Sony,for about less than a minute,and once plugged back in,the Sony worked,thankfully!
Ive also tried to listen in surround sound,via the Digital Optical Output,from the Sony,into the Optical input of my Yamaha Aventage AVR. But all i get is 2 channel stereo. No Dolby Digital surround. I also tried the HDMI 4,from the Sony,to the Yamaha,and again,no sound at all.
So am i doing something wrong here? Is there a work around to get DD, or does the Sony only output 2 channel stereo via its Optical Digital output?
I didnt see any settings either to change the sound in the menu.
Any and all thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Anyone know if you csn start up a 4k netflix stream on the app and wait for it to fully load before playing? My connection is the 10mbps at the moment but would love to finally see something in 4k.

Also anyone in Aus/NZ manage to get the Netflix app working on the TV?

4861 - 4880 of 6557 Posts