AVS Forum banner

4881 - 4900 of 6557 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Anyone know if you csn start up a 4k netflix stream on the app and wait for it to fully load before playing? My connection is the 10mbps at the moment but would love to finally see something in 4k.

Also anyone in Aus/NZ manage to get the Netflix app working on the TV?

You don't need to load it up. Mine works fine almost at start with 4k content.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Anyone know if you csn start up a 4k netflix stream on the app and wait for it to fully load before playing? My connection is the 10mbps at the moment but would love to finally see something in 4k.

Also anyone in Aus/NZ manage to get the Netflix app working on the TV?

You don't need to load it up. Mine works fine almost at start with 4k content.
What kind of internet speed do you have?

·
Registered
88 Posts
What's annoying both with Netflix but especially Prime is that there's no one-click way to pull up 4K titles. On Amazon, searching for "4K" or "Ultra HD" doesn't do it. They sure as heck don't make it easy to locate the UHD content...
Other than the big "Ultra HD" tile that has all the 4k content together on Amazon you may be correct...or maybe not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also signed onto Amazon Prime for the 4k content.
I have the 65x900b
A few observations regarding Amazon UHD.
If you call Amazon to verify if your TV is compatible,or if your internet speed can support it, double check the info they give you.
The Amazon site shows all compatible TVs that work. However,they showed the 79" 900b,not the 65".
So when I called to make sure the 65" will work,they told me No,its not compatible with their system. I was a bit surprised since the 79 and 65 are pretty much the same sets,except for their screens.
I asked the Amazon rep,if they are sure about this, and if they could double check. I was put on hold, and again was told the 65 will not work. Frankly i became a bit upset with this, and asked the rep to ask to check again, and explained it made no sense why one model of the 900b series will work , and another one won't .
After being on hold for awhile,the rep came back, and now said Yes,the 65" will work . She finally checked with her tech support dept.
So as a heads up,make sure Amazon double checks the info they give you. Also make sure you give them the complete model number of your TV,for instance,not 65x900b,but Sony XBR 65x900b.
I also have Fios with 20/5 internet speed. Amazon seems ok with that so far. Although the App did get hung up a bit yesterday,to a point,that it locked the Sony, and would not respond to any remote commands. I finally unplugged the Sony,for about less than a minute,and once plugged back in,the Sony worked,thankfully!
Ive also tried to listen in surround sound,via the Digital Optical Output,from the Sony,into the Optical input of my Yamaha Aventage AVR. But all i get is 2 channel stereo. No Dolby Digital surround. I also tried the HDMI 4,from the Sony,to the Yamaha,and again,no sound at all.
So am i doing something wrong here? Is there a work around to get DD, or does the Sony only output 2 channel stereo via its Optical Digital output?
I didnt see any settings either to change the sound in the menu.
Any and all thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.
Try HDMI 1, it has ARC I can control my amp with the Sony remote,
I have a Yamaha amp (RX-A3020) witch will also pass through 4K my old Pioneer did not (SC-LX85).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have set-up Netflix on the TV - relatively simple to do actually. Quite happy with that.

My download speed is only 10mbps. I started streaming House of Cards (I have the 4K sub) and the max it reached after 6/7 mins was 1080p. If I leave it running longer, will it eventually reach 2160p? Or am I dreaming?

Wish I could just let it load for a couple of hours and then watch it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have set-up Netflix on the TV - relatively simple to do actually. Quite happy with that.

My download speed is only 10mbps. I started streaming House of Cards (I have the 4K sub) and the max it reached after 6/7 mins was 1080p. If I leave it running longer, will it eventually reach 2160p? Or am I dreaming?

Wish I could just let it load for a couple of hours and then watch it.
The UHD content is 10Mbps so it is unlikely your network will support.

The Netflix recommendation is 25Mbps.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

I have 15Mbps and it seems to work.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
OK, I admit it: I'm slow. Just saw a news flash about the new quantum dot technology for LCD/LED TV's and how it will increase the color dynamic range and color gamut. Later in the article, it said that Sony had already implemented this tech in certain TV's with the "Triluminos" feature. Checked Sony's specs for my 79XBR 900 and it says "Triluminos" display. I have been puzzled about the Netflix resolution test showing that my TV was producing 4K, 10-bit performance, when I understood it was an IPS panel. So, connecting all this info together indicates that my TV has the quantum dot feature and is truly producing 10-bit color performance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got the 79" Sony today and generally like what I am seeing though I have much to learn and the TV picture needs adjustment. One question I have tho is what amount of edge light bleed is normal for this set? See attached images. Any thoughts appreciated as I can return the set if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just got the 79" Sony today and generally like what I am seeing though I have much to learn and the TV picture needs adjustment. One question I have tho is what amount of edge light bleed is normal for this set? See attached images. Any thoughts appreciated as I can return the set if needed.
If it was me that would be going straight back , that looks awful especially on the right

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Image.jpg Had my 79XBR900B professionally calibrated and the following graph is part of the results. Does this say anything about 8 vs 10-bit color performance?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
View attachment 427482 Had my 79XBR900B professionally calibrated and the following graph is part of the results. Does this say anything about 8 vs 10-bit color performance?
Nope.

It really doesn't say much of anything at all actually.

It is only showing the CIE 1931 xy coordinates of your 3 primary colors, (red, green and blue) and the three secondary colors (cyan, magenta, yellow).

Who calibrated your set? Any idea what meter and software they used to do it?

·
Banned
179 Posts
On 3D for the 79" model:

I found a thread on Sony community forums concerning the X850b model, which too has passive 3D. Basically a lot of complaints on the 3D suffering from motion blur whenever there's faster moving scenes. Similar to what those have said about the 79X900B (finding I have same issue) — movies like Lego are unwatchable.

A user rconn2 found that by using a PC and playing a 3D SBS file and having the PC software combine the left and right image into an interleaved image at 4k — there was no motion blur at all and the 3D is flawless.

What's happening here is the PC is displaying the 4k image with the alternating rows (pixel rows alternate between right and left polarised images) - this process is what the TV does to display 3D, with SBS sources it stretches the left and right and displays them separately with the alternating rows, with frame packed (3D blu Ray for example) it again puts the left and right images overlapped with interleaved rows.

It seems to be that the process of interleaving the left and right images that the TV software is performing is at fault. To me that says this could be fixed with software.

I'm expecting a call from Sony to send an engineer over to look at the TV, but honestly, based on their email support, I am not at hopeful.

With that in mind does anyone know a blu-ray player that processes the 3D and outputs an interleaved image at 4k?

For anyone interested in the process of outputting a 4k 3D image, I did so using a Mac mini set to 4k resolution and using an app called Bino. The half SBS file is played using an input setting of left/right half stretched, and output settings of alternating rows.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just purchased the XBR79X900B and should be here next week. I am planning to order the Wall mount from Monoprice.com http://www.monoprice.com/Cart. I would like to know if anyone have use this wall mount on the 79x900b? If yes, how is the quality?
also, I appreciated if you can recommend good wall mount for this tv.
As your TV cost close to $8K. I suggest you go with OmniMount, Sanus, Chief. I have used only OmniMounts for the last 15 years and they R rock solid. I used it for a Sony 55in XBR, And Mitsubishi 55TV plus 3 other smaller bedroom tvs and they R still standing strong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
As your TV cost close to $8K. I suggest you go with OmniMount, Sanus, Chief. I have used only OmniMounts for the last 15 years and they R rock solid. I used it for a Sony 55in XBR, And Mitsubishi 55TV plus 3 other smaller bedroom tvs and they R still standing strong.

I also have an omnimount for my Samsung. I have the 65 inch Sony so which omnimount should I use?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mounts for TV

I have the ULPC-X and they are very good. A bit stiff to pull out and push in. I see they have the OC120FM and OC 150FM. These are the ones that you can move left and right up and down. I don't know if that's the type you r looking for or maybe u need a stationary one.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nope.

It really doesn't say much of anything at all actually.

It is only showing the CIE 1931 xy coordinates of your 3 primary colors, (red, green and blue) and the three secondary colors (cyan, magenta, yellow).

Who calibrated your set? Any idea what meter and software they used to do it?
Accucal (Jeff Meier). Photo Research PR-670. His own software.

4881 - 4900 of 6557 Posts