AVS Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 3765 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
If wouldn't count on the Vizio going cheap on Black Friday, more likely something from the E series.
Yeah I mostly saw last year was an E series. Surprise they dont put the M series on sale but what about this or Panasonic one I posted. Which one would fit better for my needs. BTW is the LCD 55 inch good in this one? I want something that runs movies/anime and games well. Going to keep the tv for a good 4-5 years until 4k becomes better. Thank you!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just picked up a Vizio M652i-B2 last night from Costco. First impressions are the black level and contrast/pop are excellent. I put in The Dark Knight and everything looked great for a while but then in the darker scenes like the building jump I got some serious blooming and scene at the end with just Joker and Batman had some weird trailing or motion blur happening around the Joker's face. I also noticed some slow reaction of the dimming zones where it took a second for them to fade to dark. Have others watched this movie on their sets and seen this behavior?

FYI I was watching with Calibrated Dark out of the box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
M703B Audio sync

Hey...
New here.
Just received new m702i-b3 and upon setup notice millisecond lip-sync delay though my AV receiver from DVD player. Have no issues with BLU-Ray player.
Both using optical audio to Receiver and HDMI from devices to TV.
Had a 65" DLP Mits projection unit. No issue with same audio equipment, but that TV did not support HDMI - Same audio cable to AV receiver.
Otherwise love the TV so far though still exploring the settings options. noticing the motion blur especially in fast panning reality shows like on History Channel.
Anyone have any thoughts on the audio delay?
Thanks ~S

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm considering moving from my 50" E-Series (E500i-B1) to the 49" M-Series (M492i-B2) and would like to get some thoughts on the trade-offs. Unfortunately, I was duped by the "effective" refresh rate on the E-Series, and was really looking to get a true 120Hz panel. I'm going to be connecting a gaming PC to this TV and using it for a sim racing rig. However, the input lag on the M-Series isn't quite as good as that on the E-Series. Is it worth sacrificing some input lag for the smoother and more responsive motion that 120Hz brings? Or am I better off keeping the input lag as low as possible? I've never really gamed on true 120Hz monitor or TV, so I'm honestly not sure what that brings to the table.

So I've got a decision to make: 120Hz with an input lag of about 40ms? Or 60Hz with an input lag of about 27ms? Would love to hears some thoughts about just how big of a deal the jump from 60 to 120Hz is in gaming.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Is it true that Vizio TVs have problems with sound bars? I have an Pioneer soundbar and people said that all sound bars have a lip sync issue on their TV's. I was going to pull the trigger on the M 55 inch series and now I'm clueless again. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
All I know is when I had the M-49", I had lip sync issue that I was unable to resolve. I had a Vizio 5.1 sound bar hooked up as usual. When I put my Sony Bravia back in line, lip sync issues gone. That tells me there is a problem with vizio tv's, or at least the one I brought home. Too much trouble to keep trying different sets. Until there is a definitive fix from vizio, I will not buy a vizio tv. And that quite frankly, sucks. I'd like one. So, I figured why not get a sony 50". Well, I'm not paying a lot of money for a tv with terrible smart app problems. Slow and limited smart apps and a super slow USB buss is of no interest to me to spend bigger dollars on. I'm now settling in on Samsung. We'll see.

·
Registered
16,646 Posts
Did you ever consider forgetting one of those overpriced 'sound bars' and get a real component audio system?? If you are spending extra money, don't go half way.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Did you ever consider forgetting one of those overpriced 'sound bars' and get a real component audio system?? If you are spending extra money, don't go half way.
I actually got a sound bar for extremely cheap when it cost over 600 dollars. Still want to keep one and I don't have room for serious audio system yet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Is it true that Vizio TVs have problems with sound bars? I have an Pioneer soundbar and people said that all sound bars have a lip sync issue on their TV's. I was going to pull the trigger on the M 55 inch series and now I'm clueless again. Any help would be great.
click "search this thread" at top and type in lip sync.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not giving up a sound bar I really like and spent money on because a TV, from the same manufacturer mind you, can't write software worth a damn to accommodate it's own brand of sound bar. So no, that's not an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm considering moving from my 50" E-Series (E500i-B1) to the 49" M-Series (M492i-B2) and would like to get some thoughts on the trade-offs. Unfortunately, I was duped by the "effective" refresh rate on the E-Series, and was really looking to get a true 120Hz panel. I'm going to be connecting a gaming PC to this TV and using it for a sim racing rig. However, the input lag on the M-Series isn't quite as good as that on the E-Series. Is it worth sacrificing some input lag for the smoother and more responsive motion that 120Hz brings? Or am I better off keeping the input lag as low as possible? I've never really gamed on true 120Hz monitor or TV, so I'm honestly not sure what that brings to the table.

So I've got a decision to make: 120Hz with an input lag of about 40ms? Or 60Hz with an input lag of about 27ms? Would love to hears some thoughts about just how big of a deal the jump from 60 to 120Hz is in gaming.
Does the M series support real 120hz in 2D mode? I know many TVs that are 'true' 120hz but don't support it in PC mode/2D mode. Reading the comments on this site here, it appears people can get 120hz from PC but it requires tweaked/modified drivers. http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

It looks possible but it doesn't look like it will work out of the box. Personally it's what you can achieve, if you can get a true 120hz TV hooked up properly to support 120hz on 1080p, 44ms isn't bad for that. Plus do you get 120fps in the racing game you play? If you were dealing with consoles, 120hz is out of the question since games are capped at 60fps anyways, but playing on PC is different. If you buy a 120hz TV but play at a low frame rate, you gained nothing. 120hz gaming is really a huge difference compared to 60, but only if you have the frame rate to support it. For a racing game, an extra 20ms is nothing. Basically, if the TV supports it easily, and your PC pulls 120fps or close, then definitely go for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does the M series support real 120hz in 2D mode? I know many TVs that are 'true' 120hz but don't support it in PC mode/2D mode. Reading the comments on this site here, it appears people can get 120hz from PC but it requires tweaked/modified drivers. http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

It looks possible but it doesn't look like it will work out of the box. Personally it's what you can achieve, if you can get a true 120hz TV hooked up properly to support 120hz on 1080p, 44ms isn't bad for that. Plus do you get 120fps in the racing game you play? If you were dealing with consoles, 120hz is out of the question since games are capped at 60fps anyways, but playing on PC is different. If you buy a 120hz TV but play at a low frame rate, you gained nothing. 120hz gaming is really a huge difference compared to 60, but only if you have the frame rate to support it. For a racing game, an extra 20ms is nothing. Basically, if the TV supports it easily, and your PC pulls 120fps or close, then definitely go for it.
This is pretty interesting, thanks! I know that I can set custom resolutions in the Nvidia utility for my graphics cards, so this might be feasible. I'm definitely getting more than 120fps a good portion of the time, so it sounds like it might be fairly beneficial.

Does the fact that I'd be running it at 120Hz actually reduce the effective input lag? I'm not entirely clear on how those two are related, as most input lag numbers that I'm aware on are measured at 60Hz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is pretty interesting, thanks! I know that I can set custom resolutions in the Nvidia utility for my graphics cards, so this might be feasible. I'm definitely getting more than 120fps a good portion of the time, so it sounds like it might be fairly beneficial.

Does the fact that I'd be running it at 120Hz actually reduce the effective input lag? I'm not entirely clear on how those two are related, as most input lag numbers that I'm aware on are measured at 60Hz.
The problems is the 'measured' input lag at 120hz to begin with. I can't see how it would go up with a higher refresh rate, the only reason it would go up would be if it was set to '120hz smooth' aka 60hz smoothed to 120hz. In that case since there's additional processing done by the TV, the added lag makes sense. Truth is I have no idea the variables for how they measured input lag at 120hz.

Also setting a custom resolution in Nvidia isn't enough, this requires modifying monitor/TV drivers to force modes on the TV it normally doesn't support. Adding a custom rez only outputs that rez, the monitor/TV driver will reject it if it's not supported in the driver. Because of this, some TV's can't even do 120hz in 2D mode at 1080p. Some can only do it at 720p.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Do you guys think Vizio will ever fix the Lip Sync. I have a sound bar from Pioneer, I want to order the M series 55inch but don't know if it's going to give me those issues.

·
Registered
20,688 Posts
Do you guys think Vizio will ever fix the Lip Sync. I have a sound bar from Pioneer, I want to order the M series 55inch but don't know if it's going to give me those issues.

Yes unless it's no. There is no real way to tell. The more people that call and report it (not just post about it) the more likely it will get fixed. Never buy a tv based upon a have that something will get fixed, that often just leads to disappointment. If you can wait then do so and watch what happens.

Sent from an system/360

·
Registered
146 Posts
I posted on their face book page about the issue. A lot of times that cuts through well. Overall with their p-series and all the software they're juggling now, I'm not expecting a fix any time soon. I'd like to be wrong thoug, but it's already been a long time. The software side of Vizio products is their weakness, imo.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I posted on their face book page about the issue. A lot of times that cuts through well. Overall with their p-series and all the software they're juggling now, I'm not expecting a fix any time soon. I'd like to be wrong thoug, but it's already been a long time. The software side of Vizio products is their weakness, imo.
Yeah its pretty freaking dumb. Its so hard to pick a damn tv nowadays. Always have something wrong with them. Trying to find a good 55 inch tv for under 900. Something good for movies and games but NOTHING. I thought this would of been it then this stupid sound crap messes it up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For me it's come down to the Samsung 6350 series. If I'm forced to spend money on a smart tv that I don't actually need because I use chrome cast, the choice seems to be clear that samsung has smart tv down well and of course a great picture will come with that. I was ruling it out early on because I don't like the stand on the 6350's and it doesn't work well for my setup. But I'll see if black Friday puts it at a good price for and grab one. At 50" for me, there doesn't seem to be any better choice than the 6350. Ideally I would love to go with a Vizio, but as things stand it has dropped out of the running sorry to say.

You could take a shot at a Vizio. Just be prepared to take it back if it doesn't work out. I took a shot full well knowing the issue. But the TV coupled with a Samsung HD cable box and a Vizio 5.1 bar proved to be problematic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For me it's come down to the Samsung 6350 series. If I'm forced to spend money on a smart tv that I don't actually need because I use chrome cast, the choice seems to be clear that samsung has smart tv down well and of course a great picture will come with that. I was ruling it out early on because I don't like the stand on the 6350's and it doesn't work well for my setup. But I'll see if black Friday puts it at a good price for and grab one. At 50" for me, there doesn't seem to be any better choice than the 6350. Ideally I would love to go with a Vizio, but as things stand it has dropped out of the running sorry to say.

You could take a shot at a Vizio. Just be prepared to take it back if it doesn't work out. I took a shot full well knowing the issue. But the TV coupled with a Samsung HD cable box and a Vizio 5.1 bar proved to be problematic.
I was in the same boat. I had them 2 picked out also. I'm just gonna go ahead and get the Samsung 55" 6350. I do hate that stand. It's so ugly looking.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

I'm a recent owner of the M50 which has the same V6 processor as the P series line and you may want to consider it instead of the M49. I know nothing about gaming but it does have a Game Low Latency feature that can be turned on and it's my understanding this lowers the input lag. It may have the same input lag as the P series.

2101 - 2120 of 3765 Posts