AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 3769 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here's a new one, that I haven't experience on this set. I have an M552i connected to a Denon 1712 receiver. We don't use surround sound very much anymore with a newborn 45 feet away - but ever since the FW update (I think), switching to Netflix or Amazon has been turning on the receiver. And oddly enough, it's turning the receiver on to the cable audio input, not the Netflix/Amazon feed.

I figured it was an issue with ARC - so I changed the HDMI input (since we just use the TV's speakers for casual watching). It still happens! Stupid question - is ARC a hardware or software thing?

Either way, any suggestions on a solution to this? It's a giant pain in the ass to turn off the receiver every time we want watch something on Netflix/Amazon. Thanks!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here's a new one, that I haven't experience on this set. I have an M552i connected to a Denon 1712 receiver. We don't use surround sound very much anymore with a newborn 45 feet away - but ever since the FW update (I think), switching to Netflix or Amazon has been turning on the receiver. And oddly enough, it's turning the receiver on to the cable audio input, not the Netflix/Amazon feed.

I figured it was an issue with ARC - so I changed the HDMI input (since we just use the TV's speakers for casual watching). It still happens! Stupid question - is ARC a hardware or software thing?

Either way, any suggestions on a solution to this? It's a giant pain in the ass to turn off the receiver every time we want watch something on Netflix/Amazon. Thanks!
I would look for something called CEC in the TV or receiver menus and turn it off.

BJBBJB

·
Registered
6 Posts
M502i-B1 POWER ISSUE :(

I just acquired an M502i-B1 from a friend and it has a weird power issue.

He told me that it rarely powered on for him. I got it home and it powered up just fine. The issue arises when I UNPLUG it from the wall. When I plug it back in it will no power back up/illuminate the standby light in the corner. I've exhausted just about all of my options including: Power Cycle
Leaving un plugged for various lengths of time.
Holding power button to discharge capacitors for varying lengths of time.
Calling Visio(walk me through basic troubleshooting then refer me to their repair partners because I am out of warranty).
Opening the unit and checking for burnt/bad components(no bad capacitors from my inspection).
Checking the voltage on the power supply board going to the main board.

I did notice that when the TV is in this funny state of not powering on that the main board is getting SOME voltage because I plugged in an Ethernet(CAT6) cable to the RJ-45 jack on the main board and the link light was illuminated.

I do recall that I am at Firmware Version 1.3.24-FHD

Any help would be appreciated. I have priced out/found main boards for sale(ebay and BB PartStore) I would just like to avoid that if I can, or find a cheaper option. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2 Posts
TV model : Vizio M602i-B3
date of firmware update : 01/15/2017
firmware version : 2.0.13.0190

observed issue:
===============

Prior to this update, I had absolutely no WiFi network issues.
My router is top of the line and is close enough to the tv that it always shows full bars.

After update, WiFi connects immediately when the TV boots.
Then after streaming for a while, the app will stop and indicate that there is no network connection.
The TV's info still indicates a connection with full bars, but no app can see the network until after the TV power cycles.
This happens every time that I use this TV now.
Not good!

Personally, I wish there was an option to simply configure the TV to never update firmware..
to avoid bad versions that introduce new bugs, such as the one I'm currently experiencing.
I'd disconnect it from the network altogether.. to stop these automatic updates,
but I like using some of the "smart" apps that are built in.

I usually use Amazon to stream content on this TV.
I wasn't aware that Amazon was no-longer supported by Vizio.. until visiting this thread just now.
Sounds like an update in the near future will remove this app altogether.
Very not good!

Le sigh..

·
Registered
569 Posts
TV model : Vizio M602i-B3
date of firmware update : 01/15/2017
firmware version : 2.0.13.0190

observed issue:
===============

Personally, I wish there was an option to simply configure the TV to never update firmware..
to avoid bad versions that introduce new bugs, such as the one I'm currently experiencing.

Le sigh..
I have been advocating for this for years. I had to unplug my Vizio Ethernet connection for this reason. An update a few years ago totally changed the Gamma and messed up my calibration. I had another Vizio whose remote would not respond for 3 minutes after power on if Ethernet was plugged in.

We can only hope all manufacturers would add this. My new Sony does.

BJBBJB

·
Registered
71 Posts
anyone else having this issue?...i have the 42" and for awhile now when i turn the tv on i have no control over the volume or any other tv funtion for that matter until the unit connects to my wifi...dont think it was always like that...no doubt something changed after yet another sweet firmware update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
anyone else having this issue?...i have the 42" and for awhile now when i turn the tv on i have no control over the volume or any other tv funtion for that matter until the unit connects to my wifi...dont think it was always like that...no doubt something changed after yet another sweet firmware update.
Yeah this has been happening to me as well recently. It's unfortunate but fortunately it only lasts a few seconds. Stinks when you turn the tv on and the volume was left way higher than you want it currently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have aVizio M422i-B1. I set it up for WiFi and things were fine for the most part. Then I tried Amazon streaming. Bah!
My internet speeds were in the 300-400kb/s range! I called my Internet provider...but no luck. I have used Chromecast on another TV and it worked just fine.

Well, to make a somewhat long story short, I noticed I never registered the TV with Vizio. It's an option in the menu. Well I registered. Shut down the TV and
took another look at it a little later! When I hit the menu button, it notified an update firmware was installed! Bada-Bing,,,,,the download test is now reporting in the 8000-14000Kb/s range!
So I assume the issue is fixed.

Moral of the story: Us the register function in the menu to make sure you get the latest firmware. Mine is now at v2.0.6a.000

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Moral of the story: Us the register function in the menu to make sure you get the latest firmware. Mine is now at v2.0.6a.000
I don't recall needing to do that before and don't even see a register function in my menu. I'm on version 1.90.33, maybe something changed in later Mxxx series.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What's the latest firmware for a 2014 m492i? I unplugged mine from the Internet awhile back when one of the versions was messing up sets, but I seem to recall they were fixed later. Just wondering if it's worth upgrading. Currently I have 1.90.33.08366_135 barring that's the Firmware in the System Information menu.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey guys,
I need help, I was watching my M602i-B3 a few nights ago and turned it off to go to bed, when I woke up the next morning it would not turn on. No power at all. No stand by light or anything. I double checked the power cable and the surge protector I had it plugged into.
I was pretty sure it wasn't the surge protector though because all my other equipment was plugged into the same surge protector and everything else worked, but just to be sure I plugged the tv into another wall outlet and still nothing.
I did a little reserch on line and everything pointed to the power board so I found one on line and bought it. I installed that but I still have no power at all.......no standby light or nothing, anybody have any ideas ? I don't want to just throw it away. I have found a place to get used main boards that they guarantee for a discounted price so if I can fix it I would love to put it in the playroom in my basement for my daughter and her friends to use.
I already replaced it in my entertainment room with a 65" Samsung 4k ( UN65MU6300 ), but I would love to fix it if possible and if it's cost effective.
Thanks !

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My M492i-B2 is on v2.0.13.0888_135. I haven't had any issues really, but I mainly just use my Chromecast as the only input.
Yeah, I let it upgrade but was still have the judder issue on some videos. I pretty much only use a Nexus player/Kodi 16 with a Myth DVR backend. After playing around with the picture settings, I found putting on gaming mode made the judder disappear and now my video is smooth as silk. As for the new firmware I see no issue either and based on the age of the TV I suspect this will be the last update we see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I let it upgrade but was still have the judder issue on some videos. I pretty much only use a Nexus player/Kodi 16 with a Myth DVR backend. After playing around with the picture settings, I found putting on gaming mode made the judder disappear and now my video is smooth as silk. As for the new firmware I see no issue either and based on the age of the TV I suspect this will be the last update we see.
Yes, I have judder too and game mode fixes it but that essentially turns our tv's into discount 60hz tv's. It's really unfortunate, the original firmware didn't do this for me.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes, I have judder too and game mode fixes it but that essentially turns our tv's into discount 60hz tv's. It's really unfortunate, the original firmware didn't do this for me.
Damn, didn't realize that's what it did :(, but at least that explains why it fixed it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Damn, didn't realize that's what it did :(, but at least that explains why it fixed it.
I have had some luck doing a system reset, getting through the initial setup and then not touching anything (Not changing the profile off standard). Of course, it's not the ideal color temperature but changing things to the calibrated profiles seems to break things again.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have had some luck doing a system reset, getting through the initial setup and then not touching anything (Not changing the profile off standard). Of course, it's not the ideal color temperature but changing things to the calibrated profiles seems to break things again.
Thanks for the info, might have to try some experimenting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone having issues with this set flickering/corruption/losing signal? It has done it a few times over the past year but did it quite a bit more today. Tomorrow, I will try changing out the HDMI cable because the symptoms are similar to what would happen with a poor cable but I'm worried the board is dying.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We see similar but since it's associated with 1-2 channels and intermittent I think it's Brighthouse. Either they're messing with an upstream cable local to us or their down load signal at the dish is wonky.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I haven't any such issue with my set losing signal and I think my set is going on 3 years old now. It did recently get a new firmware issue which I was surprise to see considering this model is now several years old.

3741 - 3760 of 3769 Posts