AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Any value in getting a 4K blue-ray player to handle the up conversion? I was thinking something like Sony BDPS6200 3D Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi and 4K

www amazon.com/Sony-BDPS6200-Blu-ray-Player-Upscaling/dp/B00HPMCO14/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Is it worth it? Would the quality improve on fast action scenes as well?
I believe you said you had Clear Action On at night and everything looked great, but the tv was dimmer because of it, but made it ok because it was night.

If you raise the backlight to raise the brightness back up, to counteract the Clear Action dimming, then the tv will work for you in the day as well. That could solve your problem.

Most the blockiness you are seeing is normal for most digital video. You would have to look at something like Blu-Ray, or a highend DVD movie to not see it, and not all Blu-Ray, or DVD's are created equally as well. Some streaming shows are also very good, but you'll fine that isn't the case in any source most times. Really good digital video takes up a lot of storage, and bandwidth, so a lot of compression is used, and that causes the blocks. On a smaller tv, the blocks are there, they just are harder to see. Going from 39" to a 70", all flaws in the picture that was normally there, are now 2 or 3 times bigger, so they are more in your face then they were, but after a while, you learn to overlook them. It's really about the only option you have with digital video.

If you don't use you TV for games, or computers, then you might be happier with a Plasma.

Eric3316 was talking about his 65" Plasma and 100" projector. His 65" is one of the best Plasma's on the market, and really isn't a fair comparison to LCD. I think most people that use a Plasma of that quality will be unhappy with any LCD tv out today. I bring this up because it felt like the strongest opinion against the P70 in the comments. Just keep in mind that he's was comparing two different kinds of tv's.

4K tv's might not be for you right now. You might be happier dropping down to the M70, with 1080p. The current 4K tv's probably all have some flaws upscaling to 4K, and they all cost a great deal more compared to the Vizio.

Reactions: KTFAVS

·
Registered
367 Posts
And don't forget, the hardware in these sets can and will be updated as time goes by. Since TV's are all powered by computers now, software is always being improved to make products better. The downside, a lot of hardware gets released with unfinished software that improves months later. Look at the Moto 360. It went from struggling to make it through half a day on a battery with laggy performance to making it an entire day with silky smooth performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe you said you had Clear Action On at night and everything looked great, but the tv was dimmer because of it, but made it ok because it was night.

If you raise the backlight to raise the brightness back up, to counteract the Clear Action dimming, then the tv will work for you in the day as well. That could solve your problem.

Most the blockiness you are seeing is normal for most digital video. You would have to look at something like Blu-Ray, or a highend DVD movie to not see it, and not all Blu-Ray, or DVD's are created equally as well. Some streaming shows are also very good, but you'll fine that isn't the case in any source most times. Really good digital video takes up a lot of storage, and bandwidth, so a lot of compression is used, and that causes the blocks. On a smaller tv, the blocks are there, they just are harder to see. Going from 39" to a 70", all flaws in the picture that was normally there, are now 2 or 3 times bigger, so they are more in your face then they were, but after a while, you learn to overlook them. It's really about the only option you have with digital video.

If you don't use you TV for games, or computers, then you might be happier with a Plasma.

Eric3316 was talking about his 65" Plasma and 100" projector. His 65" is one of the best Plasma's on the market, and really isn't a fair comparison to LCD. I think most people that use a Plasma of that quality will be unhappy with any LCD tv out today. I bring this up because it felt like the strongest opinion against the P70 in the comments. Just keep in mind that he's was comparing two different kinds of tv's.

4K tv's might not be for you right now. You might be happier dropping down to the M70, with 1080p. The current 4K tv's probably all have some flaws upscaling to 4K, and they all cost a great deal more compared to the Vizio.
Thanks for the reply man... all of the posters have helped. I think tonight I'll set the settings as were earlier recommended and try increasing the brightness up. Then I'll probably also compare to my 39" TV and maybe take some slow-mo video. By the end of the week I'll make up my mind on whether to return it and get a 1080p solid LCD or a plasma, or just keep the P70. Also saw a returned open box for OLED that was $10K sitting out for $2K at BB. It's 1080p, but the image looked amazing so I might just go for that.

Thanks, gentlemen.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for the reply man... all of the posters have helped. I think tonight I'll set the settings as were earlier recommended and try increasing the brightness up. Then I'll probably also compare to my 39" TV and maybe take some slow-mo video. By the end of the week I'll make up my mind on whether to return it and get a 1080p solid LCD or a plasma, or just keep the P70. Also saw a returned open box for OLED that was $10K sitting out for $2K at BB. It's 1080p, but the image looked amazing so I might just go for that.

Thanks, gentlemen.
Don't increase the brightness above 51. Increase the backlight as high as 100. Increasing the brightness above 51 interferes with the local dimming and you will see a difference in blacks. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
So based on everything I've read in here, I'm guessing that this TV isn't for me. I wasn't impressed with the Sony W900A (returned it) in terms of picture quality or uniformity, so it seems like I won't be satisfied here either. I think I hyped this TV up too much for myself (mainly based on CES feedback and Vizio's marketing).

Looks like I'm waiting for the Reference Series or one of the other manufacturers to come out with a FALD display with 33ms input lag or less. So probably forever.

·
Registered
20,436 Posts
So based on everything I've read in here, I'm guessing that this TV isn't for me. I wasn't impressed with the Sony W900A (returned it) in terms of picture quality or uniformity, so it seems like I won't be satisfied here either. I think I hyped this TV up too much for myself (mainly based on CES feedback and Vizio's marketing).

Looks like I'm waiting for the Reference Series or one of the other manufacturers to come out with a FALD display with 33ms input lag or less. So probably forever.

This TV has as low as 17ms lag results so I'm not sure outside of lag why this tv wouldn't be for you.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We have been talking about upscaling. I am wondering if some of us have multiple upscaling occurring. Has anyone tried making sure that your cable box and your AVR are passing through the raw signal from the cable provider. It just occured to me that I might be upscaling from my cable box or AVR to 1080p and then upscaling again to 4k. I wonder what that does. Would it be better to just upscale once? Just wondering..........

·
Registered
299 Posts
Anyone else want to add to the 4:4:4 discussion? There must be something someone didn't say about it yet. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am going to go a little off topic here.

Not many people here have done any direct comparisons with the P series to their current TV. Let's hear it, what TV did you or do you also own and how does the P series compare to it while watching cable TV, blu ray, streaming, etc. Also, 4K vs. 1080p. Have you tested the same videos on Netflix comparing the differences with your 1080p TV. Have you played around with viewing distances to see if the 4K advantage goes away after so man feet from the screen. Minus the higher resolution of 4K, which picture actually looks better overall between your TV's.

I know this will all be off topic and some people might get upset with this talk but let's hear it anyway!
I don't think 4:4:4 @60HZ 4K is going to be completely of topic until the situation is resolved one way or other, after that I don't want to hear about it any more. Like it or not the TV is also promoted from day one as great for gaming and has gaming setting option.

I rather read about that than some completely of subject long rant about how LCD/LED sucks and plasma is much better (strangely you never complained about that :) ), some people do actually have multiple post about the same subject in this thread and there is nothing new to learn about it. Not for everybody use the plasma is better, it could be one the reason the plasma is going the way of the dodo. Also the plasma is not 4k as the subject TV's in this thread and believe it or not 4K is here to stay.

I think most people know about the 4K vs 1080p needs or PQ, I like to hear about it from the real 4K TV owners in this thread but not from the 4K naysayer's who have not intention to get the TV in the first place.

Z-Mad's early comparison of the P series he owned to the Samsung H7150 he just got that he posted in the other thread. Hope he doesn't mind me linking it here but makes some good points that people might want to hear looking at the P series.

I wouldn't derail the Samsung thread so please try and keep your P questions in here and not there.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...nxxh7100af-owners-thread-41.html#post27795010
Yet you don't mind to derail this thread with of topic Samsung 1080p TV promotion. :) I think most people in this thread who own the Vizio P-Series or thinking about buying the TV, one of the main reason is to get a 4K TV with good picture plus FALD at reasonable price.

So I like to hear a lot about it in this thread and not about 1080p Samsung some people do prefer over the 4K Vizio.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This TV has as low as 17ms lag results so I'm not sure outside of lag why this tv wouldn't be for you.
While the 17ms figure is good, it is only on one input. But my main concern is with the complaints people have so far with other aspects of picture quality (uniformity, colors, etc.). Feedback is for the most part "good," but doesn't seem to be up to the level what would satisfy me. The W900A got a ton of praise and hype and that TV wasn't good enough for me to keep it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
HDMI 5 - No control over advanced picture settings?

I was just glancing over the owner's manual and it claims advanced picture settings are not adjustable for HDMI 5 input. Can anybody confirm/deny this? Even if you have menu access to the settings on HDMI 5, perhaps the settings have no affect.

I'd be very interested to have somebody confirm that these settings are available for HDMI 5 and that changing the settings does in fact change the picture.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was just glancing over the owner's manual and it claims advanced picture settings are not adjustable for HDMI 5 input. Can anybody confirm/deny this? Even if you have menu access to the settings on HDMI 5, perhaps the settings have no affect.

I'd be very interested to have somebody confirm that these settings are available for HDMI 5 and that changing the settings does in fact change the picture.
I'm using HDMI 5 and I have changed the picture setting and even 11 point. Don't know where you are reading that but.......

·
Registered
683 Posts
likely not the best place for this -

Seating position is 7.5 feet from the TV. I have a 46" LCD tv now. Is going to 50" noticeable or would you go with the 60" for an extra $700?
At 7-1/2 feet you won't see the added resolution. You should really get the 65" at minimum or sit closer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Is there a way, to stop the forum from always taking me back to my last post in the thread every time I refresh the page?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I had thought the p series didnt have a thin bezel and you'd have to wait for the R for the "ultra thin bezel"

What's "ultra thin"? I measure the bezel on my 55" as about 1 cm wide. Besides, from the P-Series overview page:

The VIZIO P-Series is purposefully crafted with a design that distinguishes it from the rest. Built with top-quality materials and a new dark metallic finish, the elegantly slim profile and ultra-thin bezel creates a near-borderless entertainment experience that is a stunning sight to behold.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Thanks, gentlemen.
My suggestion is do not raise the backlight up to much. The brighter that screen gets in my opinion the worse the picture gets and it will show even more faults. For some reason people think they need LEDs because of the crazy bright levels they offer but truth is by lowering them way down I bet you will notice a better picture on them.

Also, when comparing the TV with my plasma's picture quality I was addressing the actual sharpness and cleanliness of the picture. I am not talking about black levels, contrast, motion or anything like that. My projector's black levels would be considered pretty bad but the picture itself looks really good. It is clean and artifact free unlike what I was seeing on the P70 which is what it sounds like you are noticing as well.

Yet you don't mind to derail this thread with of topic Samsung 1080p TV promotion. :) I think most people in this thread who own the Vizio P-Series or thinking about buying the TV, one of the main reason is to get a 4K TV with good picture plus FALD at reasonable price.

So I like to hear a lot about it in this thread and not about 1080p Samsung some people do prefer over the 4K Vizio.
How is linking to someone's review of the P70 compared to another TV he just got derailing the thread? Are you saying people could not care less about how this TV compares to other TV's whether it be 4K or not. Do people just want to buy a crappy TV as long as it is 4K capable even if every 1080p TV on the market offers a better picture? I am not saying that is the case but there is more to this TV and it's PQ then just being 4K. If you only want 4K then buy a Seiki TV and be done with it. If you want to know how this TV performs besides playing the 5 movies on Netflix in 4K then there is a lot more to discuss then just 4K.

Do you think the professional reviewers are not going to put this TV head to head with some other top 1080p performers. Of course they are because most of them know there is a lot more to pq then resolution and I am sure a lot of people here want to know the whole truth and not just the part you favor.

I own this TV, it is in my home as we speak. I think I can speak up about it and compare it to how I see fit.

Buzz is going to compare his P60 to his VT60 and F8000. Should he not bother because you do not care how it performs against a 1080p TV?

2481 - 2500 of 18031 Posts