AVS Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 18036 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The black bars are great. Samsung has a specific setting for the black bars, called Cinema Black, which enabled makes the bars really dark, and they blend in with the tiny bezel and the background, so you don't notice them. Similar to P70, although I almost feel P70 had a tad more light fluctuation in the black bars in the areas above the brighter parts of the scene, where the light zones were quite active... But overall I'd say about the same...
How about the side bars for 4:3 content? I suspect the Samsung struggles with those.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I got an HDMI extension cable so that I could easily plug my Xbox 360 directly into the TV and repeated some Rock Band 3 auto-calibration tests. I discovered that the signal going through my switch and AVR adds no lag at all--none; nice to know :). On HDMI 1 with GLL (Game Low Latency) turned off, video lag was 155 ms; with GLL turned on it was 93 ms. On HDMI 5 with GLL turned off it was 96 ms; with GLL turned on it was 42 ms. It didn't matter whether I was directly connected to the television or going through a switch and the AVR and it didn't matter if I used my calibrated settings with Active LED Zones and a couple of other things turned on or if I used Game picture mode with everything turned off (consequently I'm going to redefine Game picture mode to match my calibrated picture mode with game mode on). The amusing thing about testing with the Xbox directly connected to the TV was that it added massive amounts of audio lag, with the TV converting the Xbox's HDMI audio for output through optical S/PDIF.

I'd love to have a Bodnar device to get more definitive results but I'm successfully resisting the urge to spend $114 on something that I'd use once every time that shopped for a new TV that I was going to game on :D.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
The P702UI-B3 is in the Harmony database now.

P552ui-B2 is as well, so probably all five, which are probably identical. I notice that there's a direct-to-VUDU code that's not on the remote; cool. I have no use for direct-to-IHeartRadio.

Reactions: 4kjosh

·
Registered
14 Posts
A couple quick tests later and....

4K @ 60 Hz - almost identical to 1080p @ 60 Hz. Same results regarding CA and SME on vs. off.

1080p @ 120 Hz - SME made no difference on the 120 fps UFO. The 60 fps UFO was affected similarly as before. CA worked just the same as well. So with 1080p120 with CA on, SME off, GLL on, you get a perfectly clear, super-smooth UFO, and insanely low latency (measured by Xevious with a camera aimed at his P702 and a genlocked CRT at approximately 7ms :eek:)
Assuming that I'm reading this correctly, the backlight strobes at 120 HZ regardless of the TV's refresh rate – very similar to the LED Motion Mode on my Sony R520A. So, the only way to get a blur-free and judder-free experience is to play at 120 FPS @ 120 HZ. Not a bad thing for high-end PC gamers – bummer for console gamers and sports fans who despise the SOE. :(

Hopefully Vizio will add an optional 60 HZ strobing in a firmware update.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I actually did some side by side comparisons between my plasma before it went into my son's room. And the motion was about spot on with the plasma. Crazy part was, blacks were also better. I know this tv has been a nice surprise for me. Best LCD type of tv for motion that I've seen. Really does perform for a great price and just plain looks better to me.
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to pick one of these up until oled 4k becomes much more affordable.
You guys make me want to unbox mine again and play with it. Lol

Just curious but what TV where you comparing it with. Just being a plasma does not mean it will have the best black's but I will admit the black's looked pretty damn good on the P!

Here is a pick with some black bars. Pretty much what it looked like in the room.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bvqymcwjmm9xqn4/AADuY13jx-RgTMwNtjWCwywAa

·
Registered
34 Posts
Been following this thread for a while and man oh man you guys talk way above my head!! But as I'm learning I'd like some quick clarification on the P series as I've been ready to upgrade for a while.

2 Basic questions and hopefully basic answers!
1. 60" and 70" sizes are most likely best for contrast ratio correct?
2. I should purchase a larger size than normal as it is better to watch 4k TVs "closer" than standard HD TVs.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Assuming that I'm reading this correctly, the backlight strobes at 120 HZ regardless of the TV's refresh rate – very similar to the LED Motion Mode on my Sony R520A. So, the only way to get a blur-free and judder-free experience is to play at 120 FPS @ 120 HZ. Not a bad thing for high-end PC gamers – bummer for console gamers and sports fans who despise the SOE. :(

Hopefully Vizio will add an optional 60 HZ strobing in a firmware update.
I don't know if that'd even really be technically feasible given the 120 Hz native panels being used but I suppose you never know. I'd assume such a feature being added isn't going to happen though. :p What I definitely do know, though, is I wouldn't use it as I also briefly experimented with Clear Action on my cheapo Vizio E550i-B2 in my guest bedroom, which is a 60 Hz native panel (and CA thusly is a 60 Hz strobe) because of the 60 Hz flicker that bothered my eyes - exactly the same as 60 Hz flicker bothers me from fluorescent lighting and 60 Hz modes did on computer CRT's.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The P series seems to be unable to play 264 encoded 4K MP4 video via the USB port. Considering that 99% of all available 4K video material is 264, that effectively means NO 4K PB via USB!!!!

It can handle 265, but no video available other than some test material.

2014 sets made by Sony, Samsung and Toshiba do not have that problem.

Eugene

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
The P series seems to be unable to play 264 encoded 4K MP4 video via the USB port. Considering that 99% of all available video material is 264, that effectively means NO 4K PB via USB!!!!

2014 sets made by Sony, Samsung and Toshiba do not have that problem.

Eugene

Report it to Vizio not to the forum ;) if enough owners call it will probably be added.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.

·
Registered
16,576 Posts
A 10 bit panel and a full 10-bit video-processing channel are not the same thing.
The R Series touts it's ability to process video in 10-bit resolution all the way from input through to the panel. The P Series appears to have a 10-bit panel, but that does not guarantee than the video processing has 10-bit resolution all the way through...
How can you tell if the processing is 8 or 10 bit? If it is only 8 bit, what good is a 10bit panel??
:confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I actually did some side by side comparisons between my plasma before it went into my son's room. And the motion was about spot on with the plasma. Crazy part was, blacks were also better. I know this tv has been a nice surprise for me. Best LCD type of tv for motion that I've seen. Really does perform for a great price and just plain looks better to me.
I can't imagine anyone not wanting to pick one of these up until oled 4k becomes much more affordable.
You guys make me want to unbox mine again and play with it. Lol

Just curious but what TV where you comparing it with. Just being a plasma does not mean it will have the best black's but I will admit the black's looked pretty damn good on the P!

Here is a pick with some black bars. Pretty much what it looked like in the room.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bvqymcwjmm9xqn4/AADuY13jx-RgTMwNtjWCwywAa

Panasonic g10 was the comparison tv. I honestly didn't think the blacks would have held up, but the full array led sure did make a difference on this tv. I understand it's not the vt series but I was still surprised.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Official 2014 Vizio P Series Gaming Owner's Thread

Times have changed, maybe we should adapt.

I propose we divide the owners thread for gamers, one of the experts in the community could explain the process here and then start it. The non-gamers would probably appreciate that and we can get to lag issues, hdmi 2.0 vs. 4:2:0 chroma, and the like easier. It could include pc and console gaming and then all of the subsequent follow up questions won't pollute the videophiles good work and they can send gaming questions to the new forum.

What does the community think about this idea?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone been doing any gaming on the 70in?

How does the lag feel on it?

I've been playing on a Samsung UN55D8000 for a couple years, and the lags been pretty good. Would the Vizio P70 be comparable or better?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I picked up my 60" Vizio P on Saturday and have had just a short amount of time to play around on it.

Initial thoughts are, it beats the crap out of the 2014 55" E I bought earlier this year. The E series was pushing reds to an unwatchable degree. I admit, I was using reruns of Seinfeld to test the reds, since HD U-Verse is our main tv watching. With the E it seemed like everyone had very bad spray tans (then again, it was mid 90's so they probably did).

However, I am very pleased with the P with just tweaking basic settings. I am hoping to copy Buzz's calibration and then tinker around with the settings.

After watching some football Sunday and last night, I think the issues I am having is more with the source than the tv itself.

Sometimes it looked like the play was paused (as if buffering) and then played really fast to catch up.

Last night on MNF I did not experience that though, just a beautiful picture!

I am hoping to test some movies this coming weekend like Tron, and Gravity to see what this TV can do in a dark room.

Thanks for all of the owners posting their experiences and findings with this TV.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got an HDMI extension cable so that I could easily plug my Xbox 360 directly into the TV and repeated some Rock Band 3 auto-calibration tests. I discovered that the signal going through my switch and AVR adds no lag at all--none; nice to know :). On HDMI 1 with GLL (Game Low Latency) turned off, video lag was 155 ms; with GLL turned on it was 93 ms. On HDMI 5 with GLL turned off it was 96 ms; with GLL turned on it was 42 ms. It didn't matter whether I was directly connected to the television or going through a switch and the AVR and it didn't matter if I used my calibrated settings with Active LED Zones and a couple of other things turned on or if I used Game picture mode with everything turned off (consequently I'm going to redefine Game picture mode to match my calibrated picture mode with game mode on). The amusing thing about testing with the Xbox directly connected to the TV was that it added massive amounts of audio lag, with the TV converting the Xbox's HDMI audio for output through optical S/PDIF.

I'd love to have a Bodnar device to get more definitive results but I'm successfully resisting the urge to spend $114 on something that I'd use once every time that shopped for a new TV that I was going to game on :D.
Thanks for those numbers. They seem worse than what others have reported - maybe it's just the difference of using Rock Band instead of a Bodnar device?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Has anyone been doing any gaming on the 70in?

How does the lag feel on it?

I've been playing on a Samsung UN55D8000 for a couple years, and the lags been pretty good. Would the Vizio P70 be comparable or better?
I have one of those and read that renaming an input "PC" doesn't help lag. I haven't done that so I have no info. But, I measured input lag as 117ms Game mode OFF, 53ms Game mode ON.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thanks for those numbers. They seem worse than what others have reported - maybe it's just the difference of using Rock Band instead of a Bodnar device?
We don't know if Harmonix (Rock Band's developer) is accounting for the additional latency caused simply by the wireless controller's lag (and for that matter, even a wired controller would have some since USB uses a fixed polling rate). From my reading online, it appears that the belief is that the overall latency of a 360 wireless controller with everything factored in is on the order of 10-12ms or so. It seems possible to me that RB isn't accounting for this and readings from its autocalibration are too high by about that - it would bring the michaeltscott's and my results down to in the same ballpark as others have reported with different methods (such as the Bodnar). In any case subjectively I can say HDMI 5 with GLL on feels wonderful and even moreso with a 120 Hz 1080p feed - response in the latter case feels absolutely instant, something I haven't really felt on anything in recent history short of portable systems like the Vita or 3DS (with well-coded games that aren't doing anything stupid that introduces unnecessary latency just from the game's own input processing logic).

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Is there any reason to spend the extra money to get the Redmere HDMI cables or will the Monoprice work just as well?
I get all my cables from Monoprice including Redmere. For the time being, any cable labeled high speed with Ethernet will do just fine.

2601 - 2620 of 18036 Posts