AVS Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 18036 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
It seems that a lot of people have watched football on their sets already. For those that have, would you say that it does a good job with football games without turning on SOE, etc.? How about golf?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imagic did the following article on Consumer Report's TV Testing Lab about a year ago in case anyone is interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-l...visiting-consumer-reports-tv-testing-lab.html
Imagic's review of CR is something CR should take note of when they write their own reviews. Detailed and unbiased. I like Imagic's contributions here.

No doubt their labs and testing are top notch but their overall objective does not align with what I and many others look for as a consumer. Their target market to sell subscriptions has a rating system that is focused on price first and all else after. The results they publish often get misconstrued as their #1 pick is "The Best" regardless of the criteria. How many times have you seen a product in a store with a label or sticker proclaiming "Consumer Reports #1 Rated" and you say to yourself they must be kidding. Ever hear of NuWax?

For example, from Imagic's review ..."As Claudio explained it, if a television really does require professional calibration to look great, that will actually count against it. The reason is simple—many modern televisions actually do perform very well out of the box."

Joe consumer is not going to even read the criteria used and just go with whatever CR says is the best "value". In the reviews I have read, many times the much better product is down in the CR ratings because of the value proposition rating system.

I'll trust the hands-on reviewers and calibrators here first. YMMV

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my 65" a week ago, streamed episode 1 of The Blacklist in 4K from Netflix and watched it in standard mode. Best picture I've EVER seen. Wow
hype! You did any calibration after that? No calibrations results or numbers exist for the 65". Having mine arrive next week with 0 calibration equipment and no one in a 4,000 mile radius to work on it, i'm scared.
I have had my 65" 2 days now and have been trying to find someone to calibrate it. Still waiting to hear back from a couple people but I had one guy told me he had problems trying to calibrate someone else P series and had to get back to me. I am in Riverside county southern California if any can do it or know someone how can pm me please.

For what's its worth there nothing about the picture now that bothers me. I just wonder what it would be like calibrated.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does anybody know what exactly Film Mode does? The description just says "when film content is detected, picture is optimized", which doesn't tell us at all what it's actually doing.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Does anybody know what exactly Film Mode does? The description just says "when film content is detected, picture is optimized", which doesn't tell us at all what it's actually doing.

I believe it's to show 24fps/48fps "correctly".

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Eric I know you saw that post of the P65 being the "best picture he has ever seen" right !?!?!??? ;)
Except he leaves out what he has to compare it to. Also, by him stating that he watched it in standard mode and it was the best picture picture he has ever seen tells me he hasn't really seen much.

This TV out of the box in standard mode is terrible. I had a friend with me who knows nothing about TV's. Helped me set it up, I power it on and the first thing he says is, wow that looks great. I stood there, waited a second and then said, this picture is freak'n atrocious. I was ready to box it up right then and there. LOL

It really has a lot to do with where you are coming from and what you have seen prior. I also notice a lot of folks here are claiming they haven't bought a TV is ages and finally decided to upgrade. For people who have not owned a recent TV, almost anything they put in their house will WOW them like they just bought the best TV ever.

I am not saying the P65 won't look great but there is always a lot more to the story that sometimes you need to fill in. There are quite a few owners here who own the 70" and are floored by it as well...The dead on picture looks great when dialed in and would probably wow every single person who would be considered your average TV consumer.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I was only giving you s hard time. I understand all that. However the M65 was much closer to a calibrated picture than the M60 was. Verified by a meter. Also the M65 required very little tweaking of color.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Vizio P-Series 65'" vs Sony 65" X850B

I've been looking at 65" 4K TV's at BB & HH Gregg's. They seem pretty impressive but curious about the Vizio P series. It seems to be getting pretty good write ups. So wondering how it compares to the Sony? I've always had Sony TV's, and tend to go with them, but the Vizio has a really good price.
Anyone one want to give an opinion? I usually watch Direct TV or blu-rays, no games or anything like that. Plus the sound is going thru a Theta/Aerial system.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was only giving you s hard time. I understand all that. However the M65 was much closer to a calibrated picture than the M60 was. Verified by a meter. Also the M65 required very little tweaking of color.
You have meter results? Post please? Calibration numbers welcome too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow, even my Dreamcast looks great on this TV. I'm using the VGA box into a VGA to HDMI adapter. This was taken on HDMI5 through my AVR. The DC outputs 640x480, so the TV double-letterboxes it into a 960x540 screen, so it will evenly scale up. That works a lot better than trying to blow it up vertically to fit the screen.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You have meter results? Post please? Calibration numbers welcome too.
I have the calibration numbers as well as report but it is for the M65 not the P65. Not sure if you noticed that. If you still want it u can pm it to you just let me know. Realize though if you plan to use this for the P65 it most likely will not work at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the calibration numbers as well as report but it is for the M65 not the P65. Not sure if you noticed that. If you still want it u can pm it to you just let me know. Realize though if you plan to use this for the P65 it most likely will not work at all.
Darn you are right in my haste I inserted P65 into your post. My mind is playing tricks on me!

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I just had a bad calibration experience. The local calibrator came and worked on my television (P552ui-B2) on Monday. At the end, he packed up his stuff and we played a Dolby demo disc he'd brought along. He was distressed by some posterization that he saw in those images and immediately started tweaking color, tint and brightness to try to get rid of it. He got it to where he seemed to like it, then told me that Color and Tint were like salt and pepper and would probably need to be tweaked for various sources.

That evening I tried watching some recorded network television on my TiVo Roamio and it was a mess. Skin tones weren't just off, they were mottled and shifting with tiny blotches of unnatural color like cyan. The entire effect made the picture a little muddy and low-def seeming. No amount of backlight, brightness, color or tone adjustments would make it go away, so I bailed his CMS settings and punched back in Buzz's daytime settings, which though not perfect were watchable, with even skin tones. Eventually I decided that Buzz's were a bit too subdued and started using the "Cool" color-temp based "Standard" preset with the backlight turned down. It's a bit too blue but the reds and skin tones are decent; it'll do for the moment.

When punching Buzz's numbers back in for the "Normal" color temp, I noticed that the white balance table had not been changed from Buzz's numbers for daytime. Before he left, I'd asked the calibrator whether he'd set up white balance because I hadn't noticed him doing it and he said that he had. If he did, they matched Buzz's numbers exactly (seems unlikely) or Buzz's numbers came back magically (seems unlikelier).

I sent him a couple of emails explaining the situation and he sent me one back today saying that he'd put a full refund in the mail. I thanked him for the refund and apologized for having wasted his time (not precisely what I was thinking; I was being polite).

On to the next guy, I guess. This guy's website proclaimed him to be "Greater San Diego’s Only ISF Level 2 Certified Calibration Service". Seems unlikely; we'll see.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I find that only about 10% of any profession knows what they are really doing, the rest just act like they do.

It's one of the reasons I don't trust most repair guys. I really don't trust doctors.

2861 - 2880 of 18036 Posts