AVS Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
i'm interested in the 50-in P-series vizio

i'm interested in it as a primary display for gaming/flight-simulators

after scouring this forum, i've found there really isn't much posted on this model - nor on amazon

does anybody have anything to say about the p50?

any lurkers out there?

perhaps someone can point me in the right direction??

thx
:cool:
Amazon will have them in stock by the end of the month.

Some folks, like yours truly, have preordered them on Vizio.com. People are getting them this week and next (mine shows up Wednesday).

Note: AFAICT, I don't know why anyone would get the "E" version (and for the life of me, I can't figure out why Vizio thinks they can sell it for 1k).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, sorry about how it came across. You could eliminate the part about me buying a 900b and maybe it would be read better.

The fact is all the TVs there were not calibrated. They were all off to some degree but it was striking to me how off the Vizio was. It was the detail upscaling that struck me as lacking most. I think the colors could probably be dialed in better for sure.

I guess I had read here about how amazing the picture was going to be and so I was excited about seeing it.
Granted. But bare in mind that without proper calibration, the results could have been totally reversed.

Not saying your wrong or anything like that - it's just hard to take the feedback given the testing environment.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It works impressively well for eliminating judder but it adds annoying SOE so I don't use it.

On other televisions it's a detection of 2:3 pulldown cadence and converting that into 5:5 or whatever even cadence the television can handle in its native refresh rate. The manual for these TVs just says "Optimizes the picture for watching film".

Again, SME is defeated with GLL turned on without greying it out; you can set it to a new value with no effect. There's no telling what else might be affected.
Thanks MS, much appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amazon will have them in stock by the end of the month.

Some folks, like yours truly, have preordered them on Vizio.com. People are getting them this week and next (mine shows up Wednesday).

Note: AFAICT, I don't know why anyone would get the "E" version (and for the life of me, I can't figure out why Vizio thinks they can sell it for 1k).
awesome thanks

also.. i'm new here so i can't PM (until my posts are up over 15)
: /

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
It was the detail upscaling that struck me as lacking most.
Lack of calibration can cause all kinds of problems, not just bad color. It can cause posterization and other artifacting, which might be what you're interpreting as bad upconversion. My CMS settings were out of whack and it screwed things up so much as to render television content unwatchable.

I was worried about upscaling on this television (the 55") and it does a beautiful job. I was looking at the main menu of a video game today (this) and marvelling at how sharp and pretty it was. I'm sending it broadcast and cable TV content from my TiVo in its original format rather than have the TiVo scale everything to 1080p60 first and then having the TV scale that to 2160p120.

Someone suggested popping in a BD a few posts back and I hadn't thought of doing that since I no longer watch discs very often. I threw Avatar into my 2012 Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and watched that first night scene. It looks in-frickin'-credible! :cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anybody been able to compare a new p-series with the 2014 m-series? I am looking for a 70", sit about 13' feet away and use the set primarily for TV/Movie watching (minimal gaming). The guide charts would make you believe at those distances the 4K does not gain you anything from what you can visually detect. I have seen both sets at Costco, but since they were at different stores, I was not able to do a side by side, but I cannot say the p-series wowed me on their standard video feed any different than the m-series.
I've got both, but they are different sizes. I went with the P for the main viewing area and the M for the bedroom. Both sets produce great pictures IMO and you can't beat the price for either when comparing against other makes. Going with the 4k for me was about future proofing (kinda) but was more about having more dimming zones and *supposedly* better processing. That probably doesn't help you a whole lot, but I would say if it is your main viewing panel and the bump in price doesn't concern you, go with the P.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I didn't care about 4K at all, just the larger number of dimming zones, faster processing and faster wireless networking (should I ever want to use it).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody been able to compare a new p-series with the 2014 m-series? I am looking for a 70", sit about 13' feet away and use the set primarily for TV/Movie watching (minimal gaming). The guide charts would make you believe at those distances the 4K does not gain you anything from what you can visually detect. I have seen both sets at Costco, but since they were at different stores, I was not able to do a side by side, but I cannot say the p-series wowed me on their standard video feed any different than the m-series.
I have a '14 60" M series and I'm trading it for a P series this weekend. I watch a lot of SD as well as online stuff and I'm not expecting any major differences unless i'm watching 4K content and hopefully less blooming when there are few objects on the screen.
The M is a great tv imo but I want to get a P because I'd like more dimming zones, access to view 4K content, and hopefully better processors for image and for running the apps on the TV. It's kind of annoying on the M how netflix and youtube take a bit of time to load and navigate.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
It's kind of annoying on the M how netflix and youtube take a bit of time to load and navigate.

Netflix takes 10 seconds to load on my 55" P and YouTube about 9 seconds. They're both pretty responsive to commands. That's one of the reasons why I wanted the P's beefier dual core CPU.

There is some question in my mind, however, of whether VIA is internally outputting 60 Hz video to the television or 24 Hz. The television's System/System Information dialog says "60" under Vertical Frequency when running VIA apps and "24" when receiving video from one of my devices which can output 24p (TiVo Roamio, Panasonic BDT220, WD TV Live). If VIA is handing the television as 60 Hz signal then it's internally doing 2:3 pulldown of 24p-encoded streaming video, which is not a good thing.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Netflix takes 10 seconds to load on my 55" P and YouTube about 9 seconds. They're both pretty responsive to commands. That's one of the reasons why I wanted the P's beefier dual core CPU.

There is some question in my mind, however, of whether VIA is internally outputting 60 Hz video to the television or 24 Hz. The television's System/System Information dialog says "60" under Vertical Frequency when running VIA apps and "24" when receiving video from one of my devices which can output 24p (TiVo Roamio, Panasonic BDT220, WD TV Live). If VIA is handing the television as 60 Hz signal then it's internally doing 2:3 pulldown of 24p-encoded streaming video, which is not a good thing.
You should notice the tv changing refresh if it was doing that. Does netflix and youtube even offer 24p content?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh my god.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V18UaOWj4g

This guy got 0.2ms of input lag with the Leo B testing device in HDMI 5. Not sure weather he turned GLL on in advanced picture mode, but yeah...wow.
I guess this is officially thee' greatest HDTV to offer virtually no input lag! :O
My CRT with a camera testing was 7ms. I am super super sensitive to it and I can honestly say I could not feel the input lag at all. Its the best ive ever used.

Too bad the chroma sucks even at 4:4:4 and it cant even do [email protected] at 4:4:4 so even though the 1080p mode is so good I am probably going to have to return mine (unfortunately).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my p50 today and so far it's good. I'll start with the cons. I'm still adjusting the tv but I like it a lot. It's taking the place of my 47xvt LED which I still think looks great!

Cons:
-Speakers on the tv suck
-Direct tv feed seems to be hit and miss but that might be because I'm running it through my xb1

Good:
- 4k looks amazing I'm still adjusting the tv but it looks badass
- bluray movies upscale nice! Finding Nemo really shows how good the upscaling is. There were details my old LED just doesn't show
- Games through the xb1 look great also. I tried three of them killer instinct, forza horizon 2 and destiny and the last two impressed me with the color and little details that I didn't notice on my old set!

I'll come back with more info the more I get to play with the tv. Can someone tell me again how you figure out what screen is on the the p50

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
You should notice the tv changing refresh if it was doing that. Does netflix and youtube even offer 24p content?

Almost all Netflix content (commercial streaming video in general) is encoded in 24p (23.976p), with some old TV encoded as 30p (29.97) and British television as 25p. It's what they get from their content providers and thus the easiest thing to do. Every video playing device can make the necessary conversion on output. (To determine the frame rate at which a Netflix title is encoded, play it in the Silverlight website player or in the HTML5 player in IE11 or Chrome on Win8; without blowing it up full screen, click the video to give it keyboard focus and type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D to bring up an overlay of debugging info. This debugging information in the HTML5 player will have an item marked "Framerate"; in Silverlight player you can read the frame rate on the line marked "Frames rendered/dropped").

There would be no easily visible difference between viewing 24p content presented to the television as a 24p signal and displayed with even 5:5 pulldown at 120 fps versus content received at 60p already subjected to 2:3 pulldown and displayed at 120 Hz; the TV cannot change its native refresh rate and has to display everything at 120 fps. If you're particularly sensitive you can see judder in one but not the other. I'm not that sensitive but it gives me the warm fuzzies to know that 24p content is being properly handled by the display :).

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Can someone tell me again how you figure out what screen is on the the p50

You'll need a magnifier of some sort to greatly enlarge an area to see the individual pixel structure. You can see many pictures of pixel structure of many types of display in this article.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I just tried taking measurements with Lego and an RB3 plastic Strat while moving the sensor up and down (you can see it to the left of the START button in this picture). The readings are all over the place; I even got 0 ms from a center position. This room is pretty strongly sunlit--I'll try again after dark sometime.

I tried it again earlier and got consistent results from trial to trial (3 times in each position). 3 ms at the top, about 8 ms in the middle and 15 or 16 ms at the bottom. I played the game with 16 ms as the video lag and it worked fine, though reminding me of why I don't play RG Lego :D; those little brick-shaped jewels on the highway suck. If lag were way off it would have screwed me up. I probably should have tried playing with that 8-9 ms middle of the screen reading.

Auto-calibrating with RB3 got me 41-43 ms, top, middle or bottom.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the M70 for about 6 weeks before I traded it in for a P70. Both have a beautiful picture assuming you set it up properly. I sit about 9 feet from the screen. At 13 feet you will not see as much difference. The added local dimming zones are a plus but not game changing. If there is the potential for your seating distance to change get the P. If not, you will be very happy with the M.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, you did misinterpret what I meant. Perhaps I was unclear. For example:
  • E550i-B2: The ODM is Wistron. Since Vizio specified [a particular panel manufacturer and model], all E550i-B2 sets will have [a particular panel manufacturer and model] panels.
  • E600i-B3: The ODM is Foxconn. Since Vizio specified [a 2nd particular panel manufacturer and model], all E600i-B3 sets will have [a 2nd particular panel manufacturer and model] panels.
And so forth, throughout the E, M, and P-series models. That's why posters have said there is no "panel lottery" in the Vizio lines. If a Vizio model is a particular series and model number, the panels used for that model number and series will be consistent. A given ODM may use panel manufacturer 1 for the E-series, panel manufacturer 2 for the M-series and panel manufacturer 3 for the P-series, with the type of panel (IFS or VA) being consistent per model number.

I have read about Samsung having different panel types and manufacturers within the SAME model number (the "panel lottery", as I've read) -- I haven't experienced this, since I have never owned a Samsung flat screen TV (my previous sets were Panasonic).

Hope this helps. :)
Ronzo:

The addition of "for that model number and series" puts us in sync. I agree. Hopefully, Vizio stays consistent on this.

The whole Samsung panel lottery IMO is ridiculous. I've seen the same SKU with different panels and they were not even close to being the same. You'd have a hard time saying it was the same TV.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

3141 - 3160 of 18031 Posts