AVS Forum banner

3181 - 3200 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all,

I have another question for you about my P55. I have my PS4 plugged into HDMI 5, and if I power on the PS4 before turning on my TV, the PS4 only outputs at 480p, which looks like a smaller picture centered in the TV. Usually I have to turn the TV off and on several times to get the TV to output to 1080p. Here's a picture of what it looks like:

Is this a 'feature' on the TV, or is it indicative of a problem?

Also, several times I when starting up the PS4 there has been a messed up picture, like in the pictures below or as a horizontal line of static about 1/4 of the way from the top of the screen. Is this likely related to the first problem, and is it indicative of a faulty HDMI5 input or something else?

Thanks for the input!
I have similar problems with my PS3 going into HDMI 5 in a P55". I'm not sure about the powering on order, I seem to have the problem randomly for both TV on first and PS3 on first. Any others out there with these problems?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey all,

I have another question for you about my P55. I have my PS4 plugged into HDMI 5, and if I power on the PS4 before turning on my TV, the PS4 only outputs at 480p, which looks like a smaller picture centered in the TV. Usually I have to turn the TV off and on several times to get the TV to output to 1080p. Here's a picture of what it looks like:

Is this a 'feature' on the TV, or is it indicative of a problem?

Also, several times I when starting up the PS4 there has been a messed up picture, like in the pictures below or as a horizontal line of static about 1/4 of the way from the top of the screen. Is this likely related to the first problem, and is it indicative of a faulty HDMI5 input or something else?
It looks like it's an HDMI handshake issue. By powering on your PS4 before the TV is on, maybe the PS4 can't detect where it's sending video to, and reverts to a low-res "safe mode".

I've never seen anything like the second problem, but it may be another HDMI issue. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting your HDMI cable when it happens? Or power cycling the TV?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Youse guys are too busy posting when you oughtta be watching Thursday night football. Here's a quick synopsis --- lolol

Reads like the semi-famous Hunter Thompson pre-written lead for the '72 Dolphins Super Bowl win, where the words precision, jackhammer (and hammer-jack), pinpoint, and thrust were used repeatedly and inventively. :)

Actually, though, my favorite Hunter Thompson sports piece was the one about the wresting show in Fort Walton Beach's "Fish-Head Auditorium". :D

EDIT: Not for the faint of heart:
http://books.google.com/books?id=27TqzN6UfGkC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=%22Fish-Head+Auditorium%22&source=bl&ots=Sk5riY7q8K&sig=d9SK16M5i0aSdVUGJZKsDWhPbec&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sdIuVK33CtGNsQSL2oHwAw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Fish-Head%20Auditorium%22&f=false

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just hooked up my P65. So far I am very impressed. Watched some broadcast TV and sports(Verizon FiOS) and it looks good. Bluray looks fantastic and the DVD upscaling is pretty good too. I am watching The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug on amazon video and I was expecting compression artifacts but honestly I am blown away. It looks fantastic.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know. I have not seen much info regarding the P65 in this thread so far.
I also have the P65. Had it for a week. The P65 replaced my Panasonic TH-M50HD18 set. I am very happy with this TV. Excellent blacks and upscaling is nice as well. I had a hard time getting the right colors down and ended up buying the WOW calibration disc and now all is good. I also have Verizon Fios. I just upgraded to the Quantum service and have the VMS1100 dvr. Right now my TV is hooked up to one of the IPC1100 Client boxes and it is on HDMI 5. I find that the picture and sound quality is much better when hooked up to HDMI 5 and I am not having any PQ issues as some other have had in previous discussion in this thread.

Miskal, I am wondering what Video Setting you are using for your Fios box? (under Settings--Audio & Video--Video Settings--Video Format). Are you using 1080i or 1080p? I am just not sure which setting I should be using.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I have a '14 60" M series and I'm trading it for a P series this weekend. I watch a lot of SD as well as online stuff and I'm not expecting any major differences unless i'm watching 4K content and hopefully less blooming when there are few objects on the screen.
The M is a great tv imo but I want to get a P because I'd like more dimming zones, access to view 4K content, and hopefully better processors for image and for running the apps on the TV. It's kind of annoying on the M how netflix and youtube take a bit of time to load and navigate.
You're my new best friend ;)

I would appreciate it very much how SD looks on your P series compared to your M series. I'm sort of a movie buff and enjoyed a lot of the older movies. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the M70 for about 6 weeks before I traded it in for a P70. Both have a beautiful picture assuming you set it up properly. I sit about 9 feet from the screen. At 13 feet you will not see as much difference. The added local dimming zones are a plus but not game changing. If there is the potential for your seating distance to change get the P. If not, you will be very happy with the M.
Thank you. Some have reported that the larger processor may improve the interface with the apps to load (netflix, you tube, etc.). Did you notice much of a difference between the two in this regard? A previous post stated that it took about 8-10 s for a app to load on their P-series.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Isn't it true that most all of the major brands use parts from a variety of sources? Nothing new here with Vizio except they are trying to push the envelop on price and tech. One company can't be expected to design and produce everything for their TV.
Yes, and that doesn't apply only to electronics. I had a friend who worked for Standard Motor Products in the 1980's, and he was the first to point out to me that the inside door handles for Toyotas, Mercedes, Hondas, Chryslers, and others all looked the same.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thank you. Some have reported that the larger processor may improve the interface with the apps to load (netflix, you tube, etc.). Did you notice much of a difference between the two in this regard? A previous post stated that it took about 8-10 s for a app to load on their P-series.
There is a difference in app loading time but once in the difference didn't seem great. I very much liked the M just like I really like the P. This decision is really a good one since you will be able to get a very good tv at a very good price whichever way you go.
Edit: I would note that you may see more of a difference if you wanted to go with the 80" M. The 80" M is edge lit and doesn't have many of the improvements that the smaller M's and the P have. I really wish Vizio would get a very high quality 80" to 84" set for the P or upcoming R series. That might be my next tv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're my new best friend ;)

I would appreciate it very much how SD looks on your P series compared to your M series. I'm sort of a movie buff and enjoyed a lot of the older movies. Thanks!
Will do. Honestly SD looked terrible on the M until I bought a S-video to HDMI converter on Amazon. It didn't make miracles, but to me it looks better than using the component video ports on the TV. Best of all, the converter actually displays SD in the correct aspect ratio so I don't have to play with the Wide or Zoom settings on the TV.

For the apps the only comparison I can make is between my Roku on an older TV and the M-series, in which the Roku beats it on load/navigation time but I haven't timed either of them to show hard numbers. I'm hoping the P-series processors will be just as good or better than the Roku in terms of loading/navigating apps and content.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just hooked up my P65. So far I am very impressed. Watched some broadcast TV and sports(Verizon FiOS) and it looks good. Bluray looks fantastic and the DVD upscaling is pretty good too. I am watching The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug on amazon video and I was expecting compression artifacts but honestly I am blown away. It looks fantastic.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know. I have not seen much info regarding the P65 in this thread so far.
I also have the P65. Had it for a week. The P65 replaced my Panasonic TH-M50HD18 set. I am very happy with this TV. Excellent blacks and upscaling is nice as well. I had a hard time getting the right colors down and ended up buying the WOW calibration disc and now all is good. I also have Verizon Fios. I just upgraded to the Quantum service and have the VMS1100 dvr. Right now my TV is hooked up to one of the IPC1100 Client boxes and it is on HDMI 5. I find that the picture and sound quality is much better when hooked up to HDMI 5 and I am not having any PQ issues as some other have had in previous discussion in this thread.

Miskal, I am wondering what Video Setting you are using for your Fios box? (under Settings--Audio & Video--Video Settings--Video Format). Are you using 1080i or 1080p? I am just not sure which setting I should be using.
My P65 is connected to the DVR (same model as yours) on HDMI 1. I tried several resolutions and settled on 1080p as the best looking. Initially I was hoping the DVR had a native resolution setting to allow the TV to do all the upscaling but it doesn't.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My P65 is connected to the DVR (same model as yours) on HDMI 1. I tried several resolutions and settled on 1080p as the best looking. Initially I was hoping the DVR had a native resolution setting to allow the TV to do all the upscaling but it doesn't.
My Comcast X1 DVR cable box also does not have a passthrough option. I called Comcast to see what they recommended as a setting for going into my P70. They said 1080p but I wasn't too confident they really had any idea of what might be better. I set the DVR output to 1080p and it looks fine. Different situations may produce different results based on the quality of the upscaler in your cable box! I previously was using HDMI 5 but switched to HDMI 1 to be able to use AVR. The resolution across all content seems a little better using HDMI 1. No 4k content yet from my cable box so............ If Comcast starts providing 4k 60p content (unlikely anytime soon, maybe 30p) through the X1 box I may have to switch back to HDMI 5.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For those of you that have use the 10% off BB "movers guide" coupon. Can you use that online or do you have to do that in person at a store? I went and picked up a coupon today and tested it out in the "promotional code" spot on the order form and it said the code was invalid. I confirmed the coupon is valid until the end of Feb of next year (except Thanksgiving). Can I use it via online chat possibly?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
For those of you that have use the 10% off BB "movers guide" coupon. Can you use that online or do you have to do that in person at a store? I went and picked up a coupon today and tested it out in the "promotional code" spot on the order form and it said the code was invalid. I confirmed the coupon is valid until the end of Feb of next year (except Thanksgiving). Can I use it via online chat possibly?
Does it say you can use it online? I have used the ones that expire Nov 15th. online for purchase of a Vizio 70P.

What TV are you trying to use it for, the Vizio P?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does it say you can use it online? I have used the ones that expire Nov 15th. online for purchase of a Vizio 70P.

What TV are you trying to use it for, the Vizio P?
I want to purchase the 65P. The coupon doesn't say it can be used online, but they aren't in stock in my local BBs. So, I was trying to see if it could be ordered online for pickup or delivery with the coupon. I know others have used the coupon, but wasn't sure if they did it in store or what.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I want to purchase the 65P. The coupon doesn't say it can be used online, but they aren't in stock in my local BBs. So, I was trying to see if it could be ordered online for pickup or delivery with the coupon. I know others have used the coupon, but wasn't sure if they did it in store or what.
The ones that expire on 11/15 have an online code on the coupon.

You can just buy one from eBay for $5. Just order from someone who says they will email you the online code.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why not just place the order in store using the coupon and arrange for pickup or delivery from there?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes, it's not only just on Amazon app. Netflix, OTA dtv, youtube all exhibit same behavior. It's sad that Vizio can get PCM right but can't figure out how to pass the bitstreams correctly. It's not only on HDMI ARC. You'll get the same result with optical output. Some searches on AVSforum noted this problem in M series as well. The only thing good about P series is the actual panel when received undamaged. The rest of the TV definitely falls short of the expectation of a "complete" product.
Really? My M65 passes bitstreams perfectly fine to my Yamaha A/R from any source the Vizio is sending, and decodes it to the proper format with zero issues. To point the blame on Vizio every time someone has a connectivity issue without troubleshooting EVERY thing in the loop is without certainty.

No offense intended to the P owners here, however in response to the above first time poster, I have to say my M65 is one of the best executed, overall HD TV experiences I have had taking into consideration the quality of the picture, the range of adjustments possible, the connectivity, the menu system, the speed of the apps, and the overall fit and finish of the unit.

Now where were we...

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,199
There is a difference in app loading time but once in the difference didn't seem great. I very much liked the M just like I really like the P. This decision is really a good one since you will be able to get a very good tv at a very good price whichever way you go.
Edit: I would note that you may see more of a difference if you wanted to go with the 80" M. The 80" M is edge lit and doesn't have many of the improvements that the smaller M's and the P have. I really wish Vizio would get a very high quality 80" to 84" set for the P or upcoming R series. That might be my next tv.

I've got a strong hunch 2015 could be your year...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why not just place the order in store using the coupon and arrange for pickup or delivery from there?
Will definitely do that if need be, but was trying to save a trip and do it from the convenience from home. I assume there is no issue ordering items that are currently only available online? Also, online gives me the ability to order and pick up from the warehouse that is closer than the store. Can stores order for pickup at the warehouse immediately? Otherwise I would have to wait 3-5 days to pick up at store.

My coupon doesn't expire 11/15. It is valid 10/1/14-11/26 and 12/2/14-2/28/15. No online code mentioned specifically. There is a bar code with a long number under it. That is the number I tried to use on the online form that didn't work.

3181 - 3200 of 18031 Posts