AVS Forum banner

3261 - 3280 of 18036 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got my p55 and really love it. I'm trying to copy buzz`s day and night settings. The trouble is that, when I change the color tuner and 11pt settings for one, it changed for the other. I recall buzz saying it happened because both were tied to the calibrated picture mode, but I don't remember his fix, and can't seem to find it. If anyone has recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can anyone tell me how the 70" Vizio P series' PQ stacks up again the Hu8550 and Sony x850? Also does the P series have the HBOgo app and Vudu app?

BTW: Vizio P series 70" is available on Amazon again.
I had both those sets plus the lg8500 4k and the seiki 4k. When the 50 comes in I can compare them all.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
How in hell did we all miss that :rolleyes:??? It's the 3rd thing in the tech spec list. (Actually I think that spec list has been updated; I do not recall them having an individual line of specifications for each HDMI input before).

I wonder why they chose to use an IPS display for the 55" but none of the others? Surely the same sources make 55" 4K VA panels.
If it is an Amtran panel it's likely the same panel being used on the JVC 4K. If LG supplied it's likely the panel used on the UB8200.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When turning on my P60 tonight I got a message saying it was updated to version 1.0.4.1. Any idea what the update contains?
It seems like the update virtually prevents local dimming from completely shutting off the LEDs. I noticed that black screens now have light bleed and aren't the inky black they used to be. That Destiny loading screen I showed earlier no longer has bloom around the white part, because the backlight doesn't fully turn off anywhere on the screen.

I'm guessing this update is a "fix" for the light bloom issue by hurting black levels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For anyone that has a P-series 70" inch or similar, did you notice any significant difference when watching blu-ray between the p-series and your previous TV (assuming you were replacing another TV that already had at least 1080 P? i.e. how much does the p-series upscale blu-ray?

At Costco today, a LG UltraHD TV running it own stocked demo feed looked stunning compared to the Vizio M Series that was next to it running which some other standard video loop but not the same as the LG. I realize the LG was running some 4K demo file that just made a significant difference. The P-series that I saw earlier in the week also running s standard video feed looked pretty much like the one I saw today on the M-series and the 4K p-series looked nothing like the LG 4K. Again, realizing it likely was more about the input than the TV. However, now that I have a good idea of how amazing a 4K can look, wondering how much more one gets with the p-series over the m-series when watching was is still the primary inputs like OTA, Blu Ray, etc, etc. that likely will be the primary inputs for at least a couple more years.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
It seems like the update virtually prevents local dimming from completely shutting off the LEDs. I noticed that black screens now have light bleed and aren't the inky black they used to be. That Destiny loading screen I showed earlier no longer has bloom around the white part, because the backlight doesn't fully turn off anywhere on the screen.

I'm guessing this update is a "fix" for the light bloom issue by hurting black levels.
Can you post another picture of the image with the same conditions, or as close as you can get to the original picture?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I just got my p55 and really love it. I'm trying to copy buzz`s day and night settings. The trouble is that, when I change the color tuner and 11pt settings for one, it changed for the other. I recall buzz saying it happened because both were tied to the calibrated picture mode, but I don't remember his fix, and can't seem to find it. If anyone has recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Nick

You cannot create setting for both, unfortunately. The Color Tuner and 11 Point White Balance tables are tied to a color temperature. So you can only have 3 of each, one for color temperatures Normal, Cool and Computer. You cannot create "Cal Day" and "Cal Night" settings which both use "Normal" color temp. It's a major design screw-up, which hopefully can (and will) be fixed in firmware.

Reactions: Ph8te

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You cannot create setting for both, unfortunately. The Color Tuner and 11 Point White Balance tables are tied to a color temperature. So you can only have 3 of each, one for color temperatures Normal, Cool and Computer. You cannot create "Cal Day" and "Cal Night" settings which both use "Normal" color temp. It's a major design screw-up, which hopefully can (and will) be fixed in firmware.
Indeed, my workaround for now is I actually calibrated my second set of settings using Computer color temperature instead on my P70. Speaking of which, I noticed a grayscale problem with that set of settings (there's a slight color shift just below peak in the ~96-98% brightness range) which is going to necessitate touching that one up. The fix will be to lower contrast slightly do move peak brightness below where that shift occurs but in doing so I'll need to retouch the entire grayscale to get the gamma response perfect again as well as recheck the CMS settings. Something to do tomorrow night, as I can't be bothered to fix this now. :p

·
Registered
279 Posts
Okay, I am excited! I asked before about running the wired vs wireless network setup. I didn't want to run wired bc I didn't have Ethernet jacks on my surge and didn't want to run the risk on getting a surge into my new TV...I know very unlikely. However, tonight I noticed that my surge has coax inputs(not sure how I missed that one lol). So with everything now running through the surge, I am getting about 129 MB/sec wired download speeds! I know I only need about 16 MB/sec but hell, I'll take the overhead! Now when they say you need 16MB bandwidth for 4K Netflix they are talking about 16 MB/sec download speed, not upload correct?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Okay, I am excited! I asked before about running the wired vs wireless network setup. I didn't want to run wired bc I didn't have Ethernet jacks on my surge and didn't want to run the risk on getting a surge into my new TV...I know very unlikely. However, tonight I noticed that my surge has coax inputs(not sure how I missed that one lol). So with everything now running through the surge, I am getting about 129 MB/sec wired download speeds! I know I only need about 16 MB/sec but hell, I'll take the overhead! Now when they say you need 16MB bandwidth for 4K Netflix they are talking about 16 MB/sec download speed, not upload correct?
Its only 100Mb jack. 129MB/s would be 1.3Gb/s internet speeds. The AC wireless is actually capable of much higher speeds than the wired on these sets though most people dont have an internet connection that would max out 10/100.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Indeed, my workaround for now is I actually calibrated my second set of settings using Computer color temperature instead on my P70.

People keep pooh-poohing that idea. I salute you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are there any reports of a similar issue with either 65" or 60" owners?

And as far as the 70", seems like this issue is common enough that it is a pretty widespread quality problem - are ALL P70 owners seeing the same thing (which indicates a bug, as opposed to a quality control issue) or are there some owner who do not see this effect when Clear Action is enabled (which would indicate a Quality Control problem)?
I received the 1.0.4.1 firmware update on my 70" and I tried a white background clip I had saved on my DVR where I saw the dark band with Clear Action on and I no longer see it. Can others who experienced this see if they received the update and are still experiencing it?

·
Registered
20,473 Posts

I think you mean 129Mb and 16Mb not 129MB and 16MB. The case of the "b" make a large difference when reporting speeds.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Okay, I am excited! I asked before about running the wired vs wireless network setup. I didn't want to run wired bc I didn't have Ethernet jacks on my surge and didn't want to run the risk on getting a surge into my new TV...I know very unlikely. *removed the rest
Not as unlikely as you think. I've had more NICs than I can count blown prior to putting my coax for the cable modem behind a surge protector. Good call there ;)

·
Registered
20,473 Posts

It will be interesting to see what calibrations report back (with meter). Just in case sometimes it's a good good idea to do a reset (you may loose settings so copy ten down).

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Its only 100Mb jack. 129MB/s would be 1.3Gb/s internet speeds. The AC wireless is actually capable of much higher speeds than the wired on these sets though most people dont have an internet connection that would max out 10/100.
What's a 100 MB jack? You're telling me that wireless is faster than Ethernet? How?

·
Registered
614 Posts
What's a 100 MB jack? You're telling me that wireless is faster than Ethernet? How?
Common ethernet jacks are 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s, and 1000Mb/s

The one on the TV is 100Mb/s (which is perfectly fine as most peoples internet is 50Mb/s or lower and only 15Mb/s is required for netflix UHD.

The AC Wireless in the tv is capable of 450Mb/s+ (but again, most anyone except people on google fiber are going to be limited by their internet connection even on the 100Mb/s jack.)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Common ethernet jacks are 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s, and 1000Mb/s

The one on the TV is 100Mb/s (which is perfectly fine as most peoples internet is 50Mb/s or lower and only 15Mb/s is required for netflix UHD.

The AC Wireless in the tv is capable of 450Mb/s+ (but again, most anyone except people on google fiber are going to be limited by their internet connection even on the 100Mb/s jack.)
Okay...so the 120 Mb that I'm pulling will be compressed to 100 by the jack in the tv right? Still more than the 60 or so I was pulling wirelessly and more stable correct? I was told it was better to go wired if possible.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Okay...so the 120 Mb that I'm pulling will be compressed to 100 by the jack in the tv right? Still more than the 60 or so I was pulling wirelessly and more stable correct? I was told it was better to go wired if possible.
What internet connection do you have?

Wired or the wireless is more than fast enough for teh speeds required for the uhd streaming services currently available.

I didn't see a difference between wired and wireless at all in buffering or anything.

Also realize to achieve the super fast wireless speeds you need an AC capable router running on 5ghz. Most people have N.

3261 - 3280 of 18036 Posts