AVS Forum banner

3601 - 3620 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Ha, that's exactly what I am noticing here. A lot of people here have the burden of knowing too much. They know all of the intricate details related to owning a TV, and thanks to this, they can obsess over the slightest change. I respect that, you know your hobby/craft/whatever. The more I read, the more I'll hear something that worries me, because the poster makes it seems like a big issue, but it is something maybe only 5% of people would notice.

Anyway... I'll just keep my order. Once I get it set up, I'm sure I'll love it.
Along those lines, in one show I was watching on the P after the camera panned to something quickly, when the camera stopped the next thing to move kind of had this delayed reaction then jerked to catch up to the correct frame. It was very noticeable to me and really bothered.

I asked my wife if she knew what I was talking about. Not a clue. I then rewound the parts that kept doing and it did it each time in the same spots. I kept rewinding it and she still didn't know what I was talking about even though it was clear as day to me.

So yes, everyone might and might not notice the same things or even care about certain things but if you don't want to hear people's opinions then you probably shouldn't hang out on a forum. Lol

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
if anyone else has any info on the 50" please chime in.

Vizio is taking orders for it on their site (here). They don't say when delivery will be but it's not marked out-of-stock. I can give you an unused 10% off code, if you PM me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wonder if our TVs are different. Can you send me an example of blurry text? Mind you I'm sitting 8ft away and using a P70. I want to see this "blurry" text in action. Also what are your DPI settings? I'm using Windows 8.1 and I think it auto scales the DPI.
I uploaded a couple images for the Vizio tech I've been working with... can't recall the DPI settings, or if there was even a choice. I'm on Win7 64bit.
(woops, can't post a link yet.... ) dubya dubya dubya dot wolfetone dot com/Vizio will take you to an open directory on my site where you can see the images.

The two 30hz.jpg images show a very nice, crisp text. The 60hz.jpg's show blurry text.
The two IMG#.jpg's also show the difference in crispness.
Pictures were taken with a Canon G7 set to Macro mode, at a distance of about "index finger lenght" away from the screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Vizio 70P

I picked up my new Vizio 70p over the weekend....

I am in no way a tv enthusiast or know any technical jargon aside from what I have been learning on AVS in doing research for my new living room tv.

A few months ago I bought 2 LG 60LB7100 and have been quite happy.

I needed a 70 inch for my living room where I would be watching mostly nfl, netflix, and directv

I must say i wasnt wowed.

I am not sure what i was expecting but i didnt get the "wow, amazing tv". I streamed netflix 4K and saw a big difference and was pleased.

My directv was comparable to my new LGs...which to me is still amazing...but Should I have expected more? or am should I just relax and enjoy?

will be updating config settings to googers updated ones tonight

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed, that is the only thing keeping me from buying this immediately. I'm wondering if it would even be possible via a software or firmware update to get the option to turn off HDCP and have it completely bypass the HDCP chip altogether to allow for [email protected]@4:4:4 chroma. If they can do that, I'll buy one in a heartbeat.
I sent in a support request on that, recommend you contact vizio complaining about that issue too.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
I'm looking at the 55 inch with the IPS panel and my main criteria in a TV are:
-Use as a computer monitor.
- Low input lag
- Low power consumption
- No burn in
Good luck finding out the actual power consumption here. No one seems to care about it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was reading the material on the rtings.com website that several people here had referenced. I see they have a "TV Size to Distance" Calculator, and a lot of discussion about the assumptions used, which I found pretty helpful. Anyway, in their charts, at my viewing distance (10 feet), they say buying a 4K set is "worth it" if you're buying a ~78" set. I'm assuming 'worth it' means that you can tell that it's higher resolution. That's for 20/20 vision. Mine being not that good, it implies that I'd need to buy an even bigger set to experience the benefits of the higher resolution.

What's generally thought about this size/distance/resolution calculations?

Kipa

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok guys, I just tried the "UHD 3840x2160" in the Nvidia control panel and YES you do get 4:4:[email protected] So for those 4K Blu-rays you should be good to go(whenever they actually release). As for surfing the web, I just don't see the 4:2:0 being a big deal. Now this is on my 70" and I'm sitting about 8ft away. Also don't forget that you still get 4:4:4 for [email protected] Been trying out more games in this mode and the responses are slick. I was a little saddened that this TV doesn't do 3D since it's a native 120hz panel, but honestly the 4K trumps it even at 4:2:0. So good bye 3D I knew ye well.
Yeah im thinking of running it at 4:4:4 for [email protected] Is there a major difference in computer scaling vs tv? I'm watching everything currently through MPC + MADVR + lavfilters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
M60 vs P60 Observations

I got my hands on a working P60 (first one I got was DOA) to take the place of a M60 that I got in August. Some things I noticed between the two sets (I'm not a picture-quality pro, just your average joe):
1) Maybe it's just me, but the stock speakers on the P sound better than what's on the M. The speakers on the M sound a bit "tin can" to me while the speakers on the P seem to be better amplified.
2) 4K content looks incredible, but I had to buy a good ac-enabled router to keep the speed high enough between the router and the TV.
3) Apps on the TV load a bit faster on the P than on the M. Netflix loads within 8-10 secs and content is easy to browse. YouTube also comes up fairly quick and it's easier to browse and search as well. The app ribbon on the bottom of the TV loads up instantly, while it would take a little bit for it to pop up on the M.
4) When you change the picture settings on the M, it saves them under a separate Custom setting, while on the P it just puts an asterisk on whatever picture mode you modify.

Visually both sets look exactly the same except for the dark bezel color on the P, which personally I prefer. I watch a lot of SD content and it looks the same on both sets.
I don't change tvs often, so I'm keeping the P and taking the M back to the store so I can access the 4K content as more becomes available. If you don't care about 4K, it's hard to pass up the M series in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,612
I picked up my new Vizio 70p over the weekend....

I am in no way a tv enthusiast or know any technical jargon aside from what I have been learning on AVS in doing research for my new living room tv.

A few months ago I bought 2 LG 60LB7100 and have been quite happy.

I needed a 70 inch for my living room where I would be watching mostly nfl, netflix, and directv

I must say i wasnt wowed.

I am not sure what i was expecting but i didnt get the "wow, amazing tv". I streamed netflix 4K and saw a big difference and was pleased.

My directv was comparable to my new LGs...which to me is still amazing...but Should I have expected more? or am should I just relax and enjoy?

will be updating config settings to googers updated ones tonight

With 1080p content, you should not expect that a 4K TV is going to really deliver a significantly better picture.

The LG LB7100 is edge-lit (as well as IPS), if I am not mistaken. The biggest difference you should notice with the P70 is when watching dark content (such as Dark Night or Tron II) in a dark-room viewing environment. The contrast, shadow detail and dark levels of the P70 should be noticeably better than what you can get off of the LB7100.

If you only watch in a bright room or dim room (ie: bias lights) viewing environment, you will probably not notice much of a difference...

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I'm dissapointed this tv doesn't do 4:4:4, but I don't think it will affect my experience all that much. Hopefully this is something a firmware update can fix.
I think its a limit to the HDCP chip. Thats why other tv's have hdmi 2 ports without hdcp 2.2.
I doubt it as it seems to be a hardware limitation.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.
I wonder if there's a software limitation to toggle hdcp 2.2 on the port
Agreed, that is the only thing keeping me from buying this immediately. I'm wondering if it would even be possible via a software or firmware update to get the option to turn off HDCP and have it completely bypass the HDCP chip altogether to allow for [email protected]@4:4:4 chroma. If they can do that, I'll buy one in a heartbeat.

The only HDMI 2.0 chips that have been available up to this point that also support HDCP 2.2 (that will be required by Blu-ray 4K) have only 10.2 Gbps bandwidth and this limits them to only supporting 4:2:0 with 8-bit depth for 4K @ 60Hz. The next generation HDMI chips that support the full 18 Gbps allowed by the HDMI 2.0 standard along with HDCP 2.2 are supposed to begin shipping to the consumer electronics manufacturers any time now but clearly these new chips were too late to make it into the Vizio P-series UHD TVs. Perhaps the upcoming Vizio Reference Series will use the new, full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 chips.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Funny, I have mentioned IR in many of my posts here but you obviously only read what you want to see. If you want to call me out on something then at least get your facts straight.

I have said many times over that the P series is a good TV and will satisfy many people. I have also said that a plasma is not for everyone. If you actually read instead of just spewing garbage you might actually learn a thing or two.

I am here to help people. I can offer advise on the P series as I see fit because unlike 90% of the people who post in here I actually owned the TV!!!! I never told everyone in here to go out and buy an F8500. It is the LED lovers who are starting this whole freakin plasma vs. LED debacle. It is like if you don't praise the TV in this thread you are not to write anything.

For the people who actually want honest opinions on the P series as a TV on it's own and as a TV compared to other TV's out there that are available in the same price range whether they are LED, Plasma, 4K, 1080p I post here to help.

The people who keep saying they do not want to talk about plasma's in this thread continue to bring up and talk about plasma's in this thread!!!!!!!!!!
I used to get sucked into these discussions too in a DVR thread and felt I had to defend myself every time someone commented. Eventually I decided I had made my point and simply moved on, offering my thoughts whenever I felt I could help someone. Everyone here is allowed to post and if someone doesn't like what you have to say, that's too bad. Until a moderator asks you to stop, post away. The problem is that while this is a "P" owners thread, folks still come here to ask about it vs other TVs and they often do so without reading or searching for past posts that might answer their questions. So, comments tend to get repeated and that rankles some folks. Unfortunately, that is the price we pay for open discussions.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Viewing angle won't be a huge concern to me. Like I said I am mainly worried about the lag times.

But damn... now I need to go change my order to a 50"? You're making it sound like the only benefit a 55" is viewing angle.

Well there is the small matter of 5 diagonal inches, a 25.6% increase in screen size :rolleyes:. (Accompanied, of course, by a 40% increase in price :D).

As I've posted many times, the IPS vs VA chatter in this thread had me on the verge of refusing delivery of my 55" and ordering the 60", but I decided to try it and I've been very happy with it for dark room viewing. There may be more bloom or haloing around small light objects surrounded by black than there would be on a VA screen, but it's not something that I've noticed viewing real video. If I look at this picture and others like it, the small light objects in the center are surrounded by blacks which match the jet color of the bezel face; good enough for me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got my hands on a working P60 (first one I got was DOA) to take the place of a M60 that I got in August. Some things I noticed between the two sets (I'm not a picture-quality pro, just your average joe):
1) Maybe it's just me, but the stock speakers on the P sound better than what's on the M. The speakers on the M sound a bit "tin can" to me while the speakers on the P seem to be better amplified.
2) 4K content looks incredible, but I had to buy a good ac-enabled router to keep the speed high enough between the router and the TV.
3) Apps on the TV load a bit faster on the P than on the M. Netflix loads within 8-10 secs and content is easy to browse. YouTube also comes up fairly quick and it's easier to browse and search as well. The app ribbon on the bottom of the TV loads up instantly, while it would take a little bit for it to pop up on the M.
4) When you change the picture settings on the M, it saves them under a separate Custom setting, while on the P it just puts an asterisk on whatever picture mode you modify.

Visually both sets look exactly the same except for the dark bezel color on the P, which personally I prefer. I watch a lot of SD content and it looks the same on both sets.
I don't change tvs often, so I'm keeping the P and taking the M back to the store so I can access the 4K content as more becomes available. If you don't care about 4K, it's hard to pass up the M series in my opinion.
What HDMI input were you using on your P-series? When you say SD content, are you talking about cable/satellite streams in 1080i and 720p? I am interested in hearing your answer because the majority of what I use the TV for will be to watch cable television, which is not broadcast in 1080p. A lot of people have been saying that the P-series makes cable/satellite content look really bad compared to their 1080p M-series. I would absolutely love the ability to view 4k content when I want and when more is available, but not if it comes at the expense of 90% of the content that I will be watching on a day-to-day basis.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The only HDMI 2.0 chips that have been available up to this point that also support HDCP 2.2 (that will be required by Blu-ray 4K) have only 10.2 Gbps bandwidth and this limits them to only supporting 4:2:0 with 8-bit depth for 4K @ 60Hz. The next generation HDMI chips that support the full 18 Gbps allowed by the HDMI 2.0 standard along with HDCP 2.2 are supposed to begin shipping to the consumer electronics manufacturers any time now but clearly these new chips were too late to make it into the Vizio P-series UHD TVs. Perhaps the upcoming Vizio Reference Series will use the new, full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 chips.
IF there was ever a more depressing post i would be shocked, now to go cry in a corner. Well atleast i has a purdy 65" 1080p @ 120hz......hope the tv upscaling is good enough for my HTPC.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
You can choose to name a modified preset Picture Mode, after which it restores the preset's initial values and removes the asterisk.

3601 - 3620 of 18031 Posts