AVS Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I like it. The QWERTY is convenient when browsing the apps. I use my Harmony more than anything though...;)

I mostly use my Harmony One to control it, though I occasionally pick up the original remote to use that keyboard. I thought that it'd feel weird but it's just a soft bumpy texture on the back when you're using the other side. I just wish that the backlight would stay on longer between key presses (and that it was on the other side as well).

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
I'm using HDMI-1, the signal is coming from a regular def Directv box using the S-video output fed into a s-video to hdmi converter. I have the converter in the 1080i setting.
Like I said, I don't honestly see any significant differences between the M and the P in the way they handle SD content.
I would bet the reason you can't tell the difference is due to the external scaler doing all of the work, leveling the playing field.
How abut using the composite out of that receiver and then make the comparison, forgetting about the S-video path.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would bet the reason you can't tell the difference is due to the external scaler doing all of the work, leveling the playing field.
How abut using the composite out of that receiver and then make the comparison, forgetting about the S-video path.

The reason I'm using the external scaler is that the picture quality was not to my liking on the M series tv by using just the composite inputs. I didn't like the picture quality, and I certainly didn't like that I couldn't get a proper ratio image--it was either put up with fat heads or put up with huge distortions at the edges. For that reason alone I didn't even bother using just the composite inputs on the P series tv, and honestly for someone that watches a lot of SD content I think that's the only way to go.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Also a little flimsy.

Seems unfair to call it flimsy. I wouldn't advise bouncing it off your ceramic tile floor in frustration. The key layout isn't bad and I got used to it quickly enough before I programmed my Harmony for it. (I used to work on mobile phone firmware. I remember when we got prototypes of new hardware the first thing we'd do is squeeze it to see how loose and squeaky it was; successive iterations would tighten up the enclosures).

I'd created a "Watch TV" activity on my Harmony One for using its apps, but I think that it's actually better to enter it from one of the other activities and automatically return to that.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
The reason I'm using the external scaler is that the picture quality was not to my liking on the M series tv by using just the composite inputs. I didn't like the picture quality, and I certainly didn't like that I couldn't get a proper ratio image--it was either put up with fat heads or put up with huge distortions at the edges.
I was referring to your test between the two sets.
Explain the deal with the aspect ratios with 4x3 material.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
Has anyone made tests between the 55" & 60" as to the viewing angle & black level? One of you guys that has had more than one set in their home at one time, or even one then the other.

·
Registered
20,436 Posts
Has anyone made tests between the 55" & 60" as to the viewing angle & black level? One of you guys that has had more than one set in their home at one time, or even one then the other.

You could just wait for Buzz's report. He calibrated the 55 and is now calibrating the 60.

I'm lost in the blue nowhere.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah im thinking of running it at 4:4:4 for [email protected] Is there a major difference in computer scaling vs tv? I'm watching everything currently through MPC + MADVR + lavfilters.
Will try later on tonight as MPC is my go to media player.
What I do not understand is a lot of people are buying LEDs because they game and don't want to deal with IR but are looking at OLEDs as their future TV even though it is known to get IR. Makes no sense to me and negates people's reasons here for buying an LED.
I'm an avid gamer and although OLED looks nice, I wouldn't game on it. I never cared for Plasma either as everytime I'd have a solid white background I'd hear a low buzzing. I use mostly Asus monitors for gaming in tournaments and they're usually TN panels. The Vizio P70 is colossal upgrade that I won't be giving up anytime soon. Eric I get you returned your set, but why are you still in this thread? Don't you have better things to do with your time?
I have a question that I can’t seem to find any answers about. And I think that is because I am very much in the minority on this one; at least here on AVS and among professional reviewers.

Call me crazy but I actually like the soap opera effect. I have read all the arguments about how it makes 24fps movies look like “making of” DVD extras. And I will admit that it does make movies look less like a movie and more like a live news broadcast. But I actually like that. To me it makes it look more like real life.

Well enough of the defense of my insanity. My question is: Have any of the P series owners checked out how well Vizio’s Smooth Motion frame creation works for 24fps blu-ray movies?

I ask because while I do like the soap opera effect, I DON’T like the artifacts that sometime appear around moving objects. I assume some TVs do a better job than others at minimizing artifacts while doing frame creation but no one ever seems to review or compare that feature much between sets. The pro reviewers just say to turn it off because they hate it. :)
You're not crazy, I love the SOE myself as it does look real. I'll always prefer frame rate over resolution. 24hz is antiquated technology and it's time we move forward(Peter Jackson didn't go far enough). I can't begin to describe you how lifelike Blacklist and Smurfs 2 look via Netflix 4K. Even the "Flowers" from Moving Arts looks jaw dropping.
The artifacting is kept to a minimum. There's only one place where I noticed it was during the scene in Blacklist where the Obama looking dude comes out of the helicopter and the blades whizz over his head. If you have any specific scenes you want me to try(I have many many Blu-Rays), please let me know and I'll help ya out.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I know you and eric don't see eye to eye, but I am also curious about whether you are implying that copying shared settings will actually help people get a calibrated/close to calibrated picture? I know that Michael Chen posted an article a while back looking at some comparisons and it turned out that TVs using shared settings worked out to be on average worse off than if you had just used the "Cinema/Movie" mode of the TV.

I am looking forward to your review and comparison, but I think it would also be nice to compare stock out of box settings with simple Brightness/Contrast, clipping tweaks as that is representative of what most folks will be able to achieve with their sets. At a place like AVSForum, it's great to also know what the ultimate capability of a set is with proper calibration. 3D LUT is another level on top of just simple hardware calibration, but it would be good to also get your impressions and if possible see the measurements of the out of box settings for a "movie" mode.
Michael and Gregg Loewen were my THX certification instructors. Michael is a very special guy and has calibrated a lot more displays than I so his stats are probably correct. However, it is quite well known that some displays have factory setups that can be vastly improved with calibration efforts sometimes as simple as a 2 point Grayscale change and this will translate for the most part to the same make/model. We don't know much about the P55 and P60 yet because the database of each contains one display - mine. Time will tell. ;)

oooh! Can't wait to see some numbers. I'm curious if you've noticed any first general impressions / immediately noticeable big differences between the 55 inch IPS P and the 60 inch VA P?
They are TOTALLY different panels.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Were you able to get 60 hz running at all at 4K even in reduced chroma? I have been unable to get any sort of 60 hz signal to work at 4K with my P55 and a Gigabyte GTX 980 or on a MSI 780 Ti.
[email protected] works fine albeit in 4:2:0 mode.
Nope, no 60hz 4k at all. Not that I've been able to figure out how to to that.
Hold on a second, you're on here telling people things look blurry and you haven't gotten [email protected] working?:crying:

I'll help you guys as it's pretty simple. First make sure using a HDMI high speed cable, I tried a few and they didn't work. I had to use a cheap 1.4(with ethernet). Now connect from HDMI on your Maxwell and plug it into HDMI 5 on the Vizio. When it comes up, go into Nvidia Control panel and you'll want to go to "Change Resolution". By default it should show up as 4Kx 2K, 3840 x 2160(Native). The refresh rate will top out at 30hz. Now scroll down in the resolutions and head into the "PC" modes. Choose "3840 x 2160" and you'll see in the refresh rate 60hz is now selectable. Hit Apply and you'll notice the mouse moving smoother and it'll look somewhat transparent...well at least for me! Hope this helps, if you need any more help hit me up in PM.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You're not crazy, I love the SOE myself as it does look real. I'll always prefer frame rate over resolution. 24hz is antiquated technology and it's time we move forward(Peter Jackson didn't go far enough). I can't begin to describe you how lifelike Blacklist and Smurfs 2 look via Netflix 4K. Even the "Flowers" from Moving Arts looks jaw dropping.
The artifacting is kept to a minimum. There's only one place where I noticed it was during the scene in Blacklist where the Obama looking dude comes out of the helicopter and the blades whizz over his head. If you have any specific scenes you want me to try(I have many many Blu-Rays), please let me know and I'll help ya out.

Nice to know I'm not (completely) crazy. :)

If you have the Avengers Blu-ray check out the scene on the bridge of the helicarrier. I think its fairly soon after they first show it. It's where the female agent is walking along the platform and the camera is moving while she is moving and there are a lot of artifacts right at the edges of her form. The artifacts are kind of a blurry area with muddy pixels.

To me it kind of looks like the person moving is squishing the background around them. And the faster the pan of the camera / faster the speed of the subject, the more pronounced the artifacts can be.

It also seems like the artifacts are worse if the background is busier. This suggests to me that the processing is having difficulty properly detecting the edges of the moving object. So I should guess that faster and more sophisticated processing would do a better job. But there may simply be limits to the tech as it currently stands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
P55 thoughts

In case it is of interest to anyone, I thought I'd report my thoughts on my P55, though I clearly don't know that much compared to the average person on this forum.

I think it tends to be a very accurate picture: you get a bad feed in, it shows; you get a great feed (say blacklist in 4k or a blu ray), the pic is amazing. I really liked watching movies and sports on it. I copied over Buzz's settings and they were a dramatic improvement. (I like images that are more film-like. On vivid mode, it looked like you were watching actors in 3D, rather than a movie.) I was pleased when watching it and think generally it is a great TV

On the other hand, I had a few problems (some of which indicate the panel is defective). First, I noticed significant light leakage in the top right corner, which was very apparent in dark viewing, and it seemed like the zones in the bottom left corner often stayed on too long. So for movies, the letterbox bars were almost never purely black. Second, the panel was not fully attached to the frame in the top left corner, so there was some space between the panel and the rest (so you could press down on it and see it move). Third, when my son was viewing SD cartoons on the Disney Jr channel, many of the images would continuously pulse (for instance, the frame around a stop sign would get bigger and smaller, bigger and smaller, etc.) I was able to eliminate this if I changed the source signal to native on my cable box and watched it in normal, which had vertical blackbars, but it would return if I stretched the image to fit the screen. Finally, and most problematically, I get headaches whenever watching the cartoons. (I also notice some strain with other content but the physical effect is not nearly as severe.) The headaches came back on several separate occasions, and pretty quickly after turning the TV on, so I'm pretty sure there is some connection to the TV. I've never had this problem with any other TV, though I've never owned an LED TV before, so it's possible I'm just uniquely affected by the particular technology used.

For all these reasons, I decided to return the P55 and get a 51F8500. I had a plasma before (a Fuji p50), and thought I'd get one more while I still could.

Thank you to everyone on this thread for teaching me so much about tvs and sharing their calibrations and thoughts on the P series. I've learned a ton and am very grateful to have been exposed to posters' extensive knowledge.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice to know I'm not (completely) crazy. :)

If you have the Avengers Blu-ray check out the scene on the bridge of the helicarrier. I think its fairly soon after they first show it. It's where the female agent is walking along the platform and the camera is moving while she is moving and there are a lot of artifacts right at the edges of her form. The artifacts are kind of a blurry area with muddy pixels.

To me it kind of looks like the person moving is squishing the background around them. And the faster the pan of the camera / faster the speed of the subject, the more pronounced the artifacts can be.

It also seems like the artifacts are worse if the background is busier. This suggests to me that the processing is having difficulty properly detecting the edges of the moving object. So I should guess that faster and more sophisticated processing would be a better job. But there may simply be limits to the tech as it currently stands.
Give me a timestamp for the movie, I'll check it out tonight(2200 PST) when I get home.

·
Banned
577 Posts
A lot of the banding and artifacts I am still seeing occasionally is possibly explained by this article. The blame is being put on Netflix's own compression efforts to deliver 4K content.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...nt-and-will-it-be-any-good-when-it-gets-here/

Is there any other 4K content available out there for testing?

For whatever reason, my 4K experiences are getting better. Duhno if Netflix or my ISP is providing better bandwidth, but I just went through a Breaking Bad marathon and I am fairly happy with Buzzard's Day settings. My only criticism is some mild corner light blooming the severity of which comes and goes.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
There are not any reports as of yet but I know buzz will have one comparison. As many of you know I am most interested in the P65 vs P70 this is where the largest difference was made with the M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

New to the forums. I just ordered my Vizio P 70". Supposed to arrive on Friday. I am a techy guy but have never really messed around too much with TV's. Anything that I should know/do when I first set it up? I have read that some of the hdmi ports are different, maybe 1-4 is different than 5? I have a uverse box, blu-ray player, and roku. I watch tv and a lot of movies, will mostly use the roku to stream from my computer through the plex app. I am going to use one of the calibration settings posted here. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

3721 - 3740 of 18031 Posts