AVS Forum banner

5081 - 5100 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Still hoping one of the most experienced/professional folks here gets their hands on a P65 (which, as I say that...bump: anyone have calibration settings for the P65 specifically?).

In the meantime, I noticed that my firmware hasn't updated from 1.0.0 and asked Vizio. They said that the current firmware for the P60 and the P70 is 1.0.4.1 (as most know) but that the P65 is still 1.0.0.0. I think we all knew that there were differences with the panel between the P65 and the P60/P70, but I guess I still figured the firmware would be the same. Interesting, none the less.
I've had my P70 for about two weeks and am still on version 1.0.0.0

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sometimes VLC pixels ,stutters or buffers on them WMP /WMC won't play most of them
Pot player x64 plays them back real smooth with no buffering,
Getting some H.264 and HEVC 4K files ready for when the P70 shows up in Canada, I've made the following observations on my i7-4810MQ laptop:
MPC-HC plays both types perfectly with 22% and 50% CPU utilization.
VLC plays H.264 perfectly but freezes up on HEVC.
Will be trying potplayer later - thanks for the link!:)
***Just tried the potplayer. Interesting results on my laptop.
H.264 played GREAT with very low 2% CPU but 20% GPU on GTX870M. This should mean that people can test 4K H264 files even if their computer is not that powerful provided they have a decent video card.
HEVC - Not so lucky. Video juddered continuously. CPU use was around 22% and GPU bounced between 25% and 50%.
This is all at default settings. I'll try tweaking them a bit and see if that helps.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Getting some H.264 and HEVC 4K files ready for when the P70 shows up in Canada, I've made the following observations on my i7-4810MQ laptop:
Now that you mention it ,it may have been some HEVC files VLC had trouble playing others would play fine ( I didn't note the file type ) they all seem to play fine so far with Potplayer . I use VLC for 1080p and PP for the 4K demo downloads now.

Your i7-4810MQ laptop has more CPU than this ancient 2010 AMD phenom II x4 desktop thats for sure although for what I do with it ,it's hanging in there fine it even encodes OK just not as fast as an i7 . Will the Intel IGPU push out 2160p/60 or does your laptop have the sometimes optional Nvidia graphics?

·
Registered
745 Posts
***Just tried the potplayer. Interesting results on my laptop.
H.264 played GREAT with very low 2% CPU but 20% GPU on GTX870M. This should mean that people can test 4K H264 files even if their computer is not that powerful provided they have a decent video card.
HEVC - Not so lucky. CPU use was around 22% and GPU bounced between 25% and 50%.
This is all at default settings. I'll try tweaking them a bit and see if that helps.

GOM, POT and MPC-HC 64 all work fine with 4K HEVC, I like MPC-HC best. numbers here about the same. i7920 12 GB.

Is that going to be a VIZIO event? If so I would be eager to find out if there is a firmware fix in the future. I feel let down by Vizio after waiting since the CES in Jan and now this.

Will now wait a few month to see what the 2015 CES will bring.

Eugene

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Ok guys I need some help. Not sure what is going on. My P70 came in today and I have direct tv box going into an Xbox one. Xbox one into Av receiver. Receiver hooked up to hdmi 5. Optical cable going from tv to receiver. I am getting no sound at all. I unplug the hdmi cable and I get sound through Netflix. I switched to all hdmi ports and the only sound I can get is through arc on hdmi one. I've gone through all the settings I could think of both the tv and receiver and nothing will work. Any suggestions? Sorry if I am being unclear I am on my way to a meeting and had to post this up really quickly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ok guys I need some help. Not sure what is going on. My P70 came in today and I have direct tv box going into an Xbox one. Xbox one into Av receiver. Receiver hooked up to hdmi 5. Optical cable going from tv to receiver. I am getting no sound at all. I unplug the hdmi cable and I get sound through Netflix. I switched to all hdmi ports and the only sound I can get is through arc on hdmi one. I've gone through all the settings I could think of both the tv and receiver and nothing will work. Any suggestions? Sorry if I am being unclear I am on my way to a meeting and had to post this up really quickly.
Could it be something along the lines of the optical cable is assigned to the HDMI input on your receiver and it is overriding the hdmi audio? On my Onkyo each input can be assigned audio through various links, maybe if your hdmi out on the receiver is set to only the optical audio, that would explain why it's not pushing the STB sound to the speakers...Just a thought.

I will have almost the same exact setup so I am interested in your resolution, hopefully there is one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can confirm I've been able to get 1080p @120hz with 4:4:4 on my Nvidia GTX 680 with the P55

Looks like my graphics card was defaulting to RGB so had to manually find the setting in Nvidia Control Panel.

Has anyone been able to get 4:4:4 at 4K 60hz? I don't have an HDMI 2.0 video card yet but would be very excited if that is possible

·
Registered
10 Posts
I assume that was you that posted to the Youtube vid and Amazon review I did.

I tried it. Looks like p00.
Thanks for trying, so there is not way of doing 1440p at 4 4 4? You tried 4:2:0?

If you can get 1440p at 60hz 4:4:4 can you see if the TV has a 1 to 1 mode. A mode where is will put black sides up and only show a 1 to 1 pixel image in the middle.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had some issues with the Xbox One not having sound with my Fios cable box connected via HDMI IN, had to do a hard reset and cache clear to resolve the issue. Since that time everything has worked without issue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think I might have stumbled across some 4k video files that haven't been posted. Please have a look and see if any of these are playable on the P-series. Please let me know if they do not work, and I will edit this post.

Link: http://ultravideo.cs.tut.fi/#testsequences

Click on "Versions: All", this will expand the menu and give you all the download options, example:
Those videos work on the Vizio. Good find.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
When using the built in apps for 4k streaming and such, will the TV pass the Dolby digital plus signal through arc to a reciever/preamp without any trouble?

Yes it will, but ARC is only on the HDMI 1 connection. Many of us only use HDMI 5 for its advanced features and/or super-low video lag for gaming; I have an optical S/PDIF cable running into my AVR for VIA app audio.

Neither ARC or S/PDIF will give you Dolby D Plus, as used by Netflix and VUDU, but you will get basic DD from those apps.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,092
Update to my P60 vs F8500 showdown...

If you have followed this thread you would know that I'm running Comcrap through a Win8.1 Media PC, EVGA 970GTX. I ran something in between Googer's and Buzz's settings along with some personal tweaks to get colors looking decent for my eye. I've bounced between HDMI inputs and between 4k/60Hz-1080P/60-1080P/120 - but for the sake of comparison I've been solely on the P60 HDMI 5 and F8500 HMDI1 pushing 1080P/60Hz. My set is in our great room that has massive 15' tall windows facing south and getting fairly direct sun most of the day. I have black-out drapes, but they are never closed during the the day. Many will also recall my issues with motion and sports on the P60; I can say that I have see *zero* issues since I bounced some ideas off Cedric w/ rtings and switched to using GLL. All of the below have the P60 black detail set to low, CA on, and everything else off...

I followed Buzz's input last night and tweaked out the F8500 and I have to say that it looked really good. Compared to the P60, I was really going back and forth. I'm going to outline my experience in hopes that it provides some insight for others, please read and don't take the following initial observations out of context. My initial list of pros/cons:
P60 initial pros:
- Extremely bright. I think you can put this set outside in direct sunlight and still see it.
- Great shadow detail and, seriously, the blacks are BLACK.
- 4k. Really, really looks fantastic.

P60 initial cons:
- Slight haze on most feeds when compared to the plasma at night.
- Some coloring looks dull. Green turf on football fields was muted is really the best explanation I can give it and where it stood out most when looking at both side by side.
- Black crush via Blu-Ray at times
- Off-angle viewing dims the picture
- If you watch for the dimming, you can catch it occasionally turning the backlights off

F8500 pros:
- Colors 'popped' in comparison.
- Off-angle viewing is superb.
- 3d. I have kids, they think it is cool :)

F8500 cons:
- Black isn't black compared to the P60. I can see an ever so slight glow to the plasma.
- Best rated plasma for bright rooms - BAH! It is completely washed out during the day with the drapes open.
- Personal con - I would have to 'adjust' some sheetrock to fit the F8500 in my TV niche.

The off-angle stuff - my living room is adjacent to my kitchen and I watch TV when I'm cooking. The Vizio drops detail when looking at that angle compared to the plasma, as expected, and I'm not including that in MY personal showdown as it really isn't anything to judge a set on IMO at the angle I'm viewing at there.

My biggest nit when going to bed yesterday was that the plasma just seemed to have a bit more depth to the colors; not sure how to explain that and the pictures I took really didn't show it. The colors "popped" more on the plasma in relation to the Vizio; they looked "deeper," if that makes any sense. I had too much confidence in the Vizio to settle for that, so a factory reset was my next step along with a change to the Nvidia drivers to force 16-235 for everything (that alleviated the slight black crush I was seeing on the P60). After the reset I started the Vizio calibration over and started with Computer for the base mode of both the picture and color. In any case, all of a sudden the depth of colors (by eye tests) exceeded the plasma, the haze went away. A bit of tweaking on the colors after that and neither of us were looking down at the Samsung and my wife told me to turn the plasma off. In the end, I'm at this point for pros/cons:

P60 final pros:
- Bright room viewing is a no contest winner against the F8500
- Great shadow detail and, seriously, the blacks are BLACK - again, it wins against the plasma
- 4k. Really, really looks fantastic.

P60 final cons:
- Off-angle viewing dims the picture
- If you watch for the dimming, you can catch it occasionally turning the backlights off

F8500 final pros:
- Off-angle viewing is superb.
- 3d. I have kids, they think it is cool :)

F8500 final cons:
- Black isn't black compared to the P60. I can see an ever so slight glow to the plasma.
- Best rated plasma for bright rooms - BAH! It is completely washed out during the day with the drapes open.
- Personal con - I would have to 'adjust' some sheetrock to fit the F8500 in my TV niche.

I can say with 90% certainty that the Samsung is going back. (Actually, 100%, but that is because there is a defect in the panel of the plasma causing a horizontal line on all feeds/all inputs. But, really, I can't imagine that I'll exchange it). I'm going to keep the F8500 to watch some more football feeds on Saturday, but unless something blows me away it will be boxed up and returned to BB on Sunday morning.

Hope this helps some, I know that I've been stressing over finding a good replacement for my old 1080p JVC DLP.

*NOTE - initially, I had started with the calibrated dark setting and standard for the color - I'd be curious as to any input as to *why* the picture changed so much when I haven't touched the grayscale or color sweeps. After the reset, I tried to duplicate my setting across the other base settings, calibrated dark, etc. - I didn't get nearly the visual quality as with using the computer settings. I'm not sure if this has something to do with 16-235 or other settings underneath what you can see, but there is an obvious difference. I have 2 custom presets saved, one at calibrated dark/std, one at computer/computer. The settings are identical, but the cal dark/std looks terribly hazy and muted in comparison.

**NOTE 2 - that's a LOT of text above :D

This is enormously helpful to me, for one. I've been keeping the F8500 on my list and based on your thoughtful head-to-head and corresponding comments, I'm pretty much ready to cross it off.

My viewing environment sounds very much like yours and I returned a 65ZT60 after having it for two weeks because it was a disaster for our occasional bright-room (and really sunlight-bright-room) viewing. The F8500 looked good at best buy and was supposed to be as bright as an 'LED/LCD' so I had thought it might hold it's own in our viewing environment, but your feedback has convinced me I can probably save the trouble of another audition and return.

And since I don't need more than about 30 degrees of sweet-spot viewing angle and want both bright enough for the occasional bright-room viewing and also deep blacks and shadow detail for dark-room viewing of movies at night, it sounds like the Vizio P delivers the goods.

I'm concerned about dimming artifacts including bloom/halo and 'pulsing' (or whatever the appropriate name is for noticeable backlight dimming), but several owner report including yours are making me comfortable that dimming artifacts are rarely noticeable/distracting and I'm prepared to trade off the occasional dimming artifact (and limited viewing angles) in exchange for a single TV that delivers deep blacks at night as well as enough brightness for viewing in near-direct sunlight.

The 65EC9300 (or its flat successor) is my ultimate TV, but to get there, I now need to mull over the P70, P65 (which supposedly has slightly improved viewing angles), R65 (if the P can deliver what it does with only 64-72 dimming zones, salivating to see what the R can deliver with 384 :D), and the Panasonic AX900 (which should be inferior due to the IPS panel, but who knows what tricks Panasonic has had up their videophile sleeves ;)).

Thanks again for the thoughtful review - for someone in my situation, the Vizio P sounds like a pretty fantastic baseline (especially given the price).

·
Registered
500 Posts
I DO like my Sony.

Netflix super HD looks pretty good at max bit rate it's still bit starved in dark scenes and backgrounds though where you can see the mpeg and dithering artifacts but it looks pretty good on normal and lighter scenes sometimes better overall than Dish HD in both dark and light scenes depending on the channel and program in spite of the presumably lower bit rate. .

How do you like the 49" new Sony XBR as compared to the 60" Vizio I'm assuming is the P model ?
No, my 60" Vizio in our living room is the "E" model, which I purchased before even the "M" series was out. As for the 49" 4K Sony, so far I am very pleased with it. I made an informed decision to go for excellent upscaling over the best blacks. I reasoned that Sony has been doing this 4K thing for quite awhile now, and should be providing the best upscaling for my over five hundred Blu-
ray and HD-DVD titles. The really excellent results so far
with Netflix is just icing on the cake!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think I might have stumbled across some 4k video files that haven't been posted. Please have a look and see if any of these are playable on the P-series. Please let me know if they do not work, and I will edit this post.

Link: http://ultravideo.cs.tut.fi/#testsequences

Click on "Versions: All", this will expand the menu and give you all the download options, example:
Those videos work on the Vizio. Good find.
fafrd, will you please add this link to the first post.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Could it be something along the lines of the optical cable is assigned to the HDMI input on your receiver and it is overriding the hdmi audio? On my Onkyo each input can be assigned audio through various links, maybe if your hdmi out on the receiver is set to only the optical audio, that would explain why it's not pushing the STB sound to the speakers...Just a thought.

I will have almost the same exact setup so I am interested in your resolution, hopefully there is one.
That very well might be the issue I am having. I even went into the reciever settings and allocated the optical to the specific input and it still didn't work. As of now the only settings that I have found to work is to input the Xbox directly into hdmi 5 and have arc enabled and have that go from the receiver to hdmi 1. This is not how I want it to be set up as I use the receiver to switch inputs rather than the tv. I am going to play with it more later tonight and see if I can't get it to work the way I like.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good to know! When you were trying wireless, were you using "AC" wifi, or the older "N" variety? As I understand it, AC has much better range and throughput.
I'm sorry. I don't understand the AC wifi/"N" variety reference. I am using an Apple Airport Express wireless unit with my iMac. This is in the middle bedroom of our
mobile home. My 60" "E" Series Vizio TV is out in the living
room. I assumed that my wireless problems were caused
by the distance between the the units. Adding the Netgear Powerline 500 units made a HUGE improvement!
I recommend them highly.

5081 - 5100 of 18031 Posts