AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I think the picture will even be better once some solid calibrations come available and shared.
Welcome to the AVS club. I'll be posting complete settings for day and night modes on page 1 over the next day or two. Don't expect miracles. Two sets in a row off the assembly line are usually quite different. That's why calibration exists.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I exchanged my first set that had the bottom left corner a lot brighter than the rest, new set has a piece of dust stuck between screen and back light. You can move the dust if you rub the screen with a microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I imagine the above measurements are in foot-Lamberts and the sequential contrast reading (native contrast) of only 1.627:1 would indicate the LCD panel is IPS, which display much worse native contrast than a VA panel.

As for the measured minimum black floor level of 0.038 ft-L perhaps that figure turned out to be so bad because the standard ANSI contrast pattern consisting of black/white squares was used and considering that the white squares take up so much screen area it possibly increased the measured black floor level accordingly ?

Sound & Vision Magazine reviewers realized some time ago that the best way to get truer contrast reading of LCD sets using FALD is to display a full black image with a very small white logo in it such as when pausing a BD player and the (white) logo for PAUSE stays lit onscreen; That way it "fools" the FALD scheme and forces the LEDs to light up only around the logo area. Otherwise measuring sequential contrast (native contrast) using FALD forces the LEDs to shut off completely thus giving an unmeasurable reading, "infinite contrast".

I would venture to say that measuring contrast level for FALD LCD sets using standard ANSI pattern would make the minimum measured black floor level depend on the amount of zones used by the FALD scheme : the more LEDs and zones illuminating different areas of the screen the better its ability to lower minimum achievable black floor level thus increasing measured contrast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any work if the P series supports true 4k/60hz at full 4:4:4 chroma? I bought a xbr49x850b which only supports 4:2:0 at that spec, and I'm considering on trading to a P. For the display speed, games on the 850b look smooth as butter as long as vsync is on, although it's not too bad with it off either. Thoughts if its worth trading in?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I imagine the above measurements are in foot-Lamberts and the sequential contrast reading (native contrast) of only 1.627:1 would indicate the LCD panel is IPS, which display much worse native contrast than a VA panel.

As for the measured minimum black floor level of 0.038 ft-L perhaps that figure turned out to be so bad because the standard ANSI contrast pattern consisting of black/white squares was used and considering that the white squares take up so much screen area it possibly increased the measured black floor level accordingly ?

Sound & Vision Magazine reviewers realized some time ago that the best way to get truer contrast reading of LCD sets using FALD is to display a full black image with a very small white logo in it such as when pausing a BD player and the (white) logo for PAUSE stays lit onscreen; That way it "fools" the FALD scheme and forces the LEDs to light up only around the logo area. Otherwise measuring sequential contrast (native contrast) using FALD forces the LEDs to shut off completely thus giving an unmeasurable reading, "infinite contrast".

I would venture to say that measuring contrast level for FALD LCD sets using standard ANSI pattern would make the minimum measured black floor level depend on the amount of zones used by the FALD scheme : the more LEDs and zones illuminating different areas of the screen the better its ability to lower minimum achievable black floor level.
That pattern was from an AccuPel DVG-5000 reference generator. Too bad I don't have a similar picture using my 65VT60 - there is NO comparison....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any work if the P series supports true 4k/60hz at full 4:4:4 chroma?
I too need to know this as it's a dealbreaker for me to buy any 4k display that can't handle it. It should if it's full 18gbps HDMI 2.0 implementation, but not if it's only a 10.2gbps HDMI 2.0 implementation like the Sony. I didn't think there were 18gbps chipsets available yet, so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's a full bandwidth chipset.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Uh...that sucks. Talk about bad luck or quality control issues.
I have two of those spots but they can't be seen at normal viewing distances.
Good to know buzzard. Ive been waiting patiently for this tv as most of the previews have been most promising. I figure as long as there isn't any crazy issues, crazy blooming effects, or some bad motion artifacts I'll be happy. It'll be a great holdover unail 4k has become established better as I know directv by no later than 2015 sometime they will have some 4k content, or so they say. But in the meantime looks to be good for the amount of monew your paying

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Buzz, obviously it would mean very slight black crush, but have you checked the black level measurement if brightness is lowered a click or two from where you set it right now (ie use a setting of 50 or 51)?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
venus - I can't say I'm aware of any that bad, which is why I'm so appalled. The Westinghouse 42w2 I use as my computer monitor from 2006 is 0.064 ft-l and looks to have better grey screen uniformity, and I consider this display obsolete junk nowadays. I'm led to believe Vizio has botched up their FALD implementation - that, or buzzard has a really bad set.
Well, for now lets go with buzz's suggestion that he has a bad panel. I say this because the lowly E series has better numbers.

What's nice about the checker board test is that none of the zones can be turned off since every zone is getting a source signal and cannot be turned off. i.e., the native black levels are being measured. The pixels at each corner or the white blob test should have resulted in an off the charts contrast ratio (but not a realistic one) because what I've been trying to reiterate, 60 zones (63 with the white blob test) would be getting no signal so the LEDs behind those zones would be turned off. So perhaps the dimming algorithm with buzz's sample has gone mustang. I can see perhaps the bordering zones being activated to have that zone "fade" in with the others so blooming is less apparent but not all of them.

Next week at this time we should have a much better understanding of the P series contrast ratio/black levels with both the B2 and B3 panels as we should have a bunch of owners reporting their numbers. I thought all the P models were to have VA panels but than again I thought that was the case with the M series but apparently their B2 models have IPS panels.

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
:Speaking of which - Vizio's claim of 50M/1 contrast ratio is beyond laughable and meaningless.
I see it as an insult, Vizio must think their buyers are idiots.
Renaming LCD TV's "LED TVs" just because the backlight changed is worse. Look how many consumers (included posters here) fell for that scam. :rolleyes:
There seem to be a lot of people here suffering from buyer's remorse, before they've even bought.
Now, that's funny. It would make a good "sig". ;)
There is also the 'sellers remorse'. You sell a set with the intention of replacing it, but you then can't decide which one and if you are better off waiting.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I found another good real world backlight test sequence on Netflix--the beginning of The Croods. A small flame in the center of the screen, then an ember breaks off and blows away twirling around the dark screen, then casting light on a cave wall. The ember against the dark screen is a crazy display of haloing on my ancient CCFL backlit LCD display. The Croods has several scenes of them trooping along in the dark by torchlight which should be interesting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have any owners watched real sports, college football, pro football, baseball etc. Not computer gaming. Wondering how the fast action looks or if there is juttering? Thanks

·
Registered
683 Posts
Are you talking about the black levels looking good on the P series or a totally different TV? I am confused.
Sorry, I was referring to my 80" Sharp 632U which I hope to retire when and if I get the 70P. The .01fL was my suggested lowest realistic level with SOME ambient bias lighting. I made it quite clear that I don't like to watch TV in a pitch black room.
FINAL COMMENT ON THIS SUBJECT FROM ME. LET'S GET BACK TO DISCUSSING THE P SERIES.

·
Registered
782 Posts
First of all, I have some very good news about calibrating the P. Yesterday I was calibrating at 100% Saturation/75% Luminance and the controls other than Luminance didn't work for crap. I just finished a calibration at 75/75 and the results are outstanding. Color tracking is excellent, even at 100% Saturation. I have to gather up some screen shots and will be posting the information on page 1 in an hour or so.

The corner dot pattern was composed by Ted of Ted's Disc.
Man, that's quite a relief - glad to hear CMS works well after all. This would have been a huge issue for me otherwise... Looking forward to calibrating my 70" tomorrow too :) Did you determine the final MLL? Thanks...

·
Registered
542 Posts
That pattern was from an AccuPel DVG-5000 reference generator. Too bad I don't have a similar picture using my 65VT60 - there is NO comparison....
Buzz, besides all the test and all, what do you think about the set, if you compare it with ton of other models you had. Please compare PQ and everything else especially for sports.
Way i see this so far OLED TV's will take everything over and that coming down to realistic price levels probably 2-3 years away until than we have to make with these models either Vizio, Samsung, Sony or whatever might be so price point on Vizio is very attractive until we got our hands on OLED 4K's as long as if P series is acceptable (hoping it is, my first Vizio ever ordered 55" P series and schedule delivery is Wednesday)

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Man, that's quite a relief - glad to hear CMS works well after all. This would have been a huge issue for me otherwise... Looking forward to calibrating my 70" tomorrow too :) Did you determine the final MLL? Thanks...
Who delivers on Sundays? Trucking companies that Amazon use?

·
Registered
573 Posts
The E series 60 inch had a black rating of 0.022 cd/m2, and that's with active LED zones off. Which is pretty good, so the P-Series B3 has to have at least that good, but the 55 inch has a different panel than the 60 inch and 70 inch. I think I would try watching some movies that have good Blacks to give the new active LED zones a chance to display their worth. I don't know, could be hard to test black levels with the active LED zones, so watching some movies like Tron 2, Gravity and such, might give you a better opinion of the black levels.

Exact data is good and all, but there's more to the TV than just the data. Seeing how well it plays movies, sports, action, and games is also important. Knowing these things can go far to helping someone making a buying decision, or for the sanity of the people that already have, and are awaiting their set to arrive. :)

Reactions: Canaria

·
Registered
150 Posts
Any work if the P series supports true 4k/60hz at full 4:4:4 chroma? I bought a xbr49x850b which only supports 4:2:0 at that spec, and I'm considering on trading to a P. For the display speed, games on the 850b look smooth as butter as long as vsync is on, although it's not too bad with it off either. Thoughts if its worth trading in?
I'm in same spot as you, I have the x850b and is the best set I've ever had I'm wondering if I should go with the VisP cause I'm a little unhappy with the black detail and contrast in dark scenes in a dark room. Light scenes are perfect.

My gtx titan only does 4k 60hz cause Nvidia updated drivers to allow 60 by dropping 444. Do you have a card that does 4k 60 at 444? Maybe the new 980 does it, I'm not sure. Next, what do you do with 444, I didn't think there was content for the consumer at that level anyway.

You did see the VisP may have 15-20ms lag times if the first results are accurate. Have you seen our set's lag time anywhere, I haven't? I have seen the W850 at I think 25 on rtings.com

541 - 560 of 18031 Posts