AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
55" VIZIO LED Ultra HD 240Hz Smart TV

Model #: P552UI-B2 ordered from Sam's and delivery date showing Sept. 23-25 can't wait to set this beauty. Sam's price was $1348 includes shipping

·
Registered
20,436 Posts
What kind of reflective screen is it? I have a 2012 vizio and it might as well be a mirror. is it glossy or matte or antireflective? for the 70p?

There are pictures posted in the other P series thread from a member that went to Costco to view it.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

·
Registered
19 Posts
It isn't matte, with the TV off, it has a decent amount of reflection, but thats probably made worse by the window I have behind me. Not amazing, but not horrible either.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Alright! sorry for the slow delay to get to this. Apparently, I still need to work and can't just play with the new TV today :(

First, a disclaimer: I am by no means a super experienced when it comes to this sort of stuff. I like to think I know a good bit about TVs, but when it comes to taking good pictures and estimating input lag, I don't pretend to be a professional!

Below is an imgur album with some photos, mostly they are of the El Fuente Netflix sample (which streams in at 16000 kbps!), plus a few attempts at showing off the black levels and backlight bleed.

Nevermind... turns out I can't post links until I have 5 posts or more... so I will link the album in a bit

I apologize in advance for the quality (or lack thereof). I have a window in my living room and wasn't able to get it super dark.

There is still definitely still some very minor backlight bleed, but no extreme bloom. It is definitely better than most edge lit that I have seen, but I don't really have any experience with modern back lits for comparison. There is a some unevenness in the extreme corners (half an inch or so from the corner), but only really noticeable on the gray field or very bright scenes. Overall, seems pretty even to me!

One weird thing I observed, in a few picture modes (vivid and calibrated), when I was doing the gray field test (just used an image on my PC) I noticed that if I dragged my mouse cursor to the extreme right side, it would lighten up the whole display, which makes me think there may also be some edge lighting? Not quite sure, but it was curious.

Comparing the built in upscaling to my receiver, the built in upscaling is quite a bit better (probably not much of a surprise, receiver is a few years old now). Also found my receiver wouldn't pass 4k from my PC, so I have to hook it up directly to the TV.

I was able to fix the CEC and audio back to the receiver. The trick was to use HDMI port 1, which does the audio out back to the receiver, no other ports work. HDMI 5 is also a special port, being the only HDMI 2.0 port, but obviously still works fine with lesser HDMI devices.

A few unanswered questions:

SD content (SD channels over my TV) looked decent. Very similar to 480p youtube sized up to a large display. A bit blotchy, but nothing ridiculous, especially considering its 70" :)

Dark scenes (especially in 4k) look great to my eyes. No bloom as far as I can tell. I have noticed a few letter box commercials on a black background as I have been watching, they border is very crisp with no noticeable bleed into the background.

As far as input lag, I don't have any of the fancy equipment, but I may try hooking up my laptop to my asus pb287q (which has a known input lag of about 10ms) and seeing how far it is behind that. Best I can do to record though is 60fps, which means I will only really be able to tell if its less than 40ms. Before that, going to try and play some team fortress 2 and see how it feels. Probably won't bother with 4k, since I will only get 30fps anyway, but I am excited about 120hz at 1080p!

Hopefully that gives some good info. If you have anything else you want me to look at, let me know! Once again, I am not super experienced at taking pictures or exactly what to look for, so give me hints :)

Did it come with a manual? Many of us are curious as to the brightness of the 70" P, so if you notice the spec, lease let us know.

Also, when you get a chance to view a widescreen movie in the dark, are the letterbox bars true black or are they near-black grey?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Overall impression is pretty impressed :)

The 4k content looks amazing. I watched the first 10 minutes of avengers over netflix, which I was really impressed with (especially considering it is netflix). I am turning on Skyfall on Blu Ray in a bit, will give some impressions of that later tonight :)

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Grey screen is pretty good - can still see dark dots between LED clusters, but not bad, and much better than the E or M.

Backlight bleed text on the black background seems very good.

Black screen from the side uniformity doesn't look too good. I wonder if that is caused by the screen being compressed by the frame too tightly? What happens if you try loosening a few screws in the back just a little bit - that might help.

·
Registered
20,436 Posts
I think the "clouding" in the black pic might have been part of the image itself. I don't believe that is normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the "clouding" in the black pic might have been part of the image itself. I don't believe that is normal.

I hope you are correct. That is almost exactly what my 2014 80" M looked like that has since been returned to Costco. I know they are very different sets (80"M vs. 70" P), but that black photo is eerily similar.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can it actually do 120hz custom resolution? Of the 2014 4k's only the seiki has so far, not the lg, Sammy 8550, or sony x850b will allow me to set a custom resolution above 60hz at 1080 via a gtx titan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Black screen from the side uniformity doesn't look too good. I wonder if that is caused by the screen being compressed by the frame too tightly? What happens if you try loosening a few screws in the back just a little bit - that might help.
I debated not including that picture because it very much exaggerated the effect. There is also a window (with the blinds closed, but still pretty light) right across from the TV, which makes it a bit worse. I just tried again against a black screen and its pitch black. I tried taking a photo, but its not turning out. Now with it this dark, it is much easier to see the zones as I move the mouse across the screen. A bit more bloom than I originally thought, but still not bad at all.

Sorry for not keeping the camera on the same settings, I was doing this before dinner and family tasks, so I didn't have tons of time to get it completely right.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I debated not including that picture because it very much exaggerated the effect. There is also a window (with the blinds closed, but still pretty light) right across from the TV, which makes it a bit worse. I just tried again against a black screen and its pitch black. I tried taking a photo, but its not turning out. Now with it this dark, it is much easier to see the zones as I move the mouse across the screen. A bit more bloom than I originally thought, but still not bad at all.

Sorry for not keeping the camera on the same settings, I was doing this before dinner and family tasks, so I didn't have tons of time to get it completely right.

How is the off-angle viewing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can it actually do 120hz custom resolution? Of the 2014 4k's only the seiki has so far, not the lg, Sammy 8550, or sony x850b will allow me to set a custom resolution above 60hz at 1080 via a gtx titan.
The driver reports it as a resolution in both linux and windows. I didn't have to force it, but I guess I am not sure its at 120 yet. Will try a custom resolution soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did it come with a manual? Many of us are curious as to the brightness of the 70" P, so if you notice the spec, lease let us know.

Also, when you get a chance to view a widescreen movie in the dark, are the letterbox bars true black or are they near-black grey?
Only paper is a quick start, there is a digital manual in the OSD, but spec doesn't say anything about brightness. One thing I saw someone ask for is power consumption, 133.1 W.

Watching Skyfall on blu ray right now, the letterbox bars are black black. From what I can tell, there is a zone basically just for the letter box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Only paper is a quick start, there is a digital manual in the OSD, but spec doesn't say anything about brightness. One thing I saw someone ask for is power consumption, 133.1 W.

Watching Skyfall on blu ray right now, the letterbox bars are black black. From what I can tell, there is a zone basically just for the letter box.
Are you concerned about future compatibility with this only being an 8bit chip TV? I don't hear much discussion about this...

·
Registered
19 Posts
The driver reports it as a resolution in both linux and windows. I didn't have to force it, but I guess I am not sure its at 120 yet. Will try a custom resolution soon.
Interestingly, 120 did not work, but 119 did from the Nvidia control Panel. Guess I'll take it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From an Nvidia GTX 670.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Are you concerned about future compatibility with this only being an 8bit chip TV? I don't hear much discussion about this...
Are you disputing the specs from the 1st post? What makes you think the P702ui-B3 is a 8 bit panel?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you disputing the specs from the 1st post? What makes you think the P702ui-B3 is a 8 bit panel?
Hmm, my apologies for not looking at the first post. I was only going off of another AVS forum that said only the reference series was 10 bit. Specifically post #28 on this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...1511153-vizio-p-series-uhdtvs-ces-2014-a.html

Sorry, I can't input a link yet, I don't have enough posts

This was my only hesitation to get the P series but if 10 bit is confirmed then I'll jump on it immediately!

41 - 60 of 18031 Posts