AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 18036 Posts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Did it come with a manual? Many of us are curious as to the brightness of the 70" P, so if you notice the spec, lease let us know.
The manual has been available for a few days at the Walmart site. 2/3 of the way down the page here. That's for the 55 & 65". 60/70 is also there on the appropriate display's page.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Only paper is a quick start, there is a digital manual in the OSD, but spec doesn't say anything about brightness. One thing I saw someone ask for is power consumption, 133.1 W.

Watching Skyfall on blu ray right now, the letterbox bars are black black. From what I can tell, there is a zone basically just for the letter box.

Thanks - that's how it should be done.

And how far can you view off-angle before the picture shifts noticeably (including black-level / halo)???

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Overall impression is pretty impressed :)

The 4k content looks amazing. I watched the first 10 minutes of avengers over netflix, which I was really impressed with (especially considering it is netflix). I am turning on Skyfall on Blu Ray in a bit, will give some impressions of that later tonight :)
Netflix support pages say that you see the following "genre" row:

(They really ought to feature that "genre" in their website library browser :rolleyes:). How many 4K titles are they listing and what are some of the highlights? When you play "El Fuente: 60 MP10" what are the bit rate/resolutions as it ramps up (I ask because I expect them to be encoded in HEVC like the 4K and at different bit rate from their normal AVC video encodes)? If you press the INFO remote button while viewing Netflix do you get this handy little stream info overlay?

EDIT: I did find this list of "Ultra HD" titles:

Wow--a whole 19 titles :D! I guess it's a start. They did choose some things that should be stunning.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hmm, my apologies for not looking at the first post. I was only going off of another AVS forum that said only the reference series was 10 bit. Specifically post #28 on this one:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...1511153-vizio-p-series-uhdtvs-ces-2014-a.html

Sorry, I can't input a link yet, I don't have enough posts

This was my only hesitation to get the P series but if 10 bit is confirmed then I'll jump on it immediately!

The 55", 60", 65" and 70" P Series all say: Number of Colors 1.07B

1.07B colors requires a 10-bit panel: 2^10*2^10*2^10 - 1024*1024*1024 = 1,073,741,824

So unless Vizio is not telling the truth about the number of colors, all of those P Series panels are 10-bit...

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Don't know if the 70" owners manual is correct or not but look at this:

Don't know where that image came from, but I believe it is a typo. All of the P-Series panels are supposed to have 64 dimming zones save the 70" (which is supposed to have 72).

Since we have owners of the 70" now, perhaps they could use the cursor test to confirm whether the 70" P is 8x8 dimming zones or 8x9 dimming zones...

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Don't know where that image came from, but I believe it is a typo. All of the P-Series panels are supposed to have 64 dimming zones save the 70" (which is supposed to have 72).

Since we have owners of the 70" now, perhaps they could use the cursor test to confirm whether the 70" P is 8x8 dimming zones or 8x9 dimming zones...
The image is from the 60/70 owners manual available on the Walmart site.

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Don't know if the 70" owners manual is correct or not but look at this:

Yeah that was discovered and discussed in the other P series tread. The 55/65 manual also shows the 65" as a 120hz panel. Both the zones of the 70 and the Hz of the 65 go against what's displayed under tech specs on the product pages. There are also a few other discrepancies that we saw as well.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
The image is from the 60/70 owners manual available on the Walmart site.

That manual has several cut-and-paste errors. It should be noted that it hasn't been released by Vizio on their site yet. Somebody posted a picture of a store display earlier and the banner pasted on the television said 72 LDZs.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
That manual has several cut-and-paste errors. It should be noted that it hasn't been released by Vizio on their site yet. Somebody posted a picture of a store display earlier and the banner pasted on the television said 72 LDZs.

I think we need to wait for the manuals to appear on the Vizio site. All the specs I posted in the lead post were off of the Vizio site and as the manuals get released there, I will update as needed.

Given how things unfolded with both the E-Series and the M-Series, it is likely that there are going to be some hiccups and typos on the way...

Still, incredibly cool that we have our first P-Series owners today (with more to come soon, I suspect :)) and also, the first screen shot of a grey screen demonstrated an encouraging level of uniformity.

The R Series (65" at least) would be icing on the cake, but I have to give Vizio credit for their execution this season - bravo!

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
The 55", 60", 65" and 70" P Series all say: Number of Colors 1.07B

1.07B colors requires a 10-bit panel: 2^10*2^10*2^10 - 1024*1024*1024 = 1,073,741,824

So unless Vizio is not telling the truth about the number of colors, all of those P Series panels are 10-bit...
Saw some 1.07B color panels at panelook that were 8bit + high frc or in one case Samsung calls it 8 bit + dithering which is another way of saying 8 bit + hi frc which is 8 bit + spatial and temporal dithering in 10 bit mode .

I'm assuming Vizio would be buying LCD cells so they can add FALD backlight . It looks like the AUO cells are all actual 10 bit The others below are 8 bit + high frc 50-65" search and one AUO 10 bit . Could be either way on the P models depending on the panels used . 8 bit + High frc panels can work real well though and shouldn't present any significant issues. A lot of the 1080P Sharp panels were 10 bit could be same with the 2160p panels .

panelook.com search 2160p 50- 65" :

http://www.panelook.com/LSC550FN01_SAMSUNG_55_CELL_overview_23056.html

http://www.panelook.com/ST5461D01-1_CSOT_55_CELL_overview_22363.html

http://www.panelook.com/LC550EQD-FGF2_LG Display_55_LCM_overview_19608.html

http://www.panelook.com/T550QVD02.0 CELL_AUO_55_CELL_overview_19718.html

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Interestingly, 120 did not work, but 119 did from the Nvidia control Panel. Guess I'll take it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From an Nvidia GTX 670.
Thanks for sharing your observations, it's greatly appreciated. Any chance you can call in sick tomorrow with newteleitis as a number of us are on the edge of our seats awaiting more observations? I have a short laundry list of questions, I hope you don't mind much:

1) Given the matrix of the dimming scheme I suspect the side bars with 4:3 content are just as black black as the top and bottom bars. Can you verify this though I may have to wait till tomorrow night?

2) The grey screen suggests DSE will be minimal. Have you noticed any DSE with any pan shots across a solid background?

3. Do you remember how instantaneous the zones reacted when you moved the mouse across the screen? I'm hoping the more robust video processing of the P series eliminates the problem the M series has in this regard.

4) If I dare, a non PQ question, how responsive is the Smart Via suite? Just curious if it's as lightening fast as Vizio claims it would be.

I have a feeling the additional cost of the P series over the M series will be well worth it even if one doesn't watch a single frame of 4K content if the answers are positive to the above.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just placed my order with Amazon for the 70" P Series. Scheduled delivery is 9/26...I cannot wait as it seems like I have been waiting on this tv for ages. Hopefully, the television lives up to the hype.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Wow--a whole 19 titles :D! I guess it's a start. They did choose some things that should be stunning.
It wasn't too long ago it was just House of Cards. I suspect the number to grow exponentially in the coming months, all the upcoming blockbusters will probably be available as they come online. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from VUDU with 4K titles since their forte is high quality video streams. I know you're not getting the P series for the 4K but I suspect you may be curious on how they will look on your TV.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I just placed my order with Amazon for the 70" P Series. Scheduled delivery is 9/26...I cannot wait as it seems like I have been waiting on this tv for ages. Hopefully, the television lives up to the hype.
I suspect the flood gates will open next week with new owners! And after the official PR from Vizio we may also have some observations from professional outlets including this forum's own imagic.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Saw some 1.07B color panels at panelook that were 8bit + high frc or in one case Samsung calls it 8 bit + dithering which is another way of saying 8 bit + hi frc which is 8 bit + spatial and temporal dithering in 10 bit mode .

I'm assuming Vizio would be buying LCD cells so they can add FALD backlight . It looks like the AUO cells are all actual 10 bit The others below are 8 bit + high frc 50-65" search and one AUO 10 bit . Could be either way on the P models depending on the panels used . 8 bit + High frc panels can work real well though and shouldn't present any significant issues. A lot of the 1080P Sharp panels were 10 bit could be same with the 2160p panels .

panelook.com search 2160p 50- 65" :

http://www.panelook.com/LSC550FN01_SAMSUNG_55_CELL_overview_23056.html

http://www.panelook.com/ST5461D01-1_CSOT_55_CELL_overview_22363.html

http://www.panelook.com/LC550EQD-FGF2_LG%20Display_55_LCM_overview_19608.html

http://www.panelook.com/T550QVD02.0 CELL_AUO_55_CELL_overview_19718.html

To some extent, it's the number of colors that matter and whether the last 2 bits are implemented through actual static light levels or dithering is secondary (as long as it is not noticeable/distracting).

The 55" and 65" are AUO panels, so if you are able to confirm those are 'true' 10-bit panels, that is that.

The 60" and 70" panels are Sharp panel, and almost certainly the same panels their newly-released UD27U models (60" and 70"). I can't find anything definitive on the UD27U to confirm the panel bit-depth, but Sharp is supposed to make some of the most advanced LCD panels in the world and it would surprise me if Vizio would mix some 'true' 10 bit panels with some '8-bit+dithering' panels within the same series...

But again, from my point of view, the key thing is the number of distinct colors that can be displayed (and 1.07B colors = 10 bit RGB).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for sharing your observations, it's greatly appreciated. Any chance you can call in sick tomorrow with newteleitis as a number of us are on the edge of our seats awaiting more observations? I have a short laundry list of questions, I hope you don't mind much:

1) Given the matrix of the dimming scheme I suspect the side bars with 4:3 content are just as black black as the top and bottom bars. Can you verify this though I may have to wait till tomorrow night?

2) The grey screen suggests DSE will be minimal. Have you noticed any DSE with any pan shots across a solid background?

3. Do you remember how instantaneous the zones reacted when you moved the mouse across the screen? I'm hoping the more robust video processing of the P series eliminated the problem the M series had in this regard.

4) If I dare, a non PQ question, how responsive is the Smart Via suite? Just curious if it's lightening fast as Vizio claims it would be.

I have a feeling the additional cost of the P series over the M series will be well worth it even if one doesn't watch a single frame of 4K content if the answers are positive to the above.
1) Looks to be. I have some SD content playing right now (shrunk 16:9, just from my TV), side bars look just as dark as letter box bars.
2) I probably don't have the finest eye for things like that, but haven't noticed anything so far!
3) Quite fast. If I move the cursor rapidly, I can get a bit of a lag behind the cursor, but at "normal" pointing speeds it stays caught up. I have noticed once or twice in scenes with big brightness shifts a tiny delay. Not horrible, but on the edge of perception
4) Its not a smooth as say, an iPad or something, but compared to most "smart" TVs I have used, its great! Menus load quick, respond quickly to key presses on the remote, Netflix loads surprisingly fast and looks great too. Its quite a pleasant experience, especially compared to the horrible slow menus of most TVs. One thing to note though, not sure what happened, but it did have a big amount of slowdown once and really dragged. I had been changing lots of modes playing with my HTPC. A simple power cycle brought things back to normal though!

·
Registered
19 Posts

Tried a cursor test across a black image. Definitely is 8x9 zones. 8 on the horizontal, 9 vertical.

Also, the e-manual on the TV has the same misprints as the WalMart one (Number of zones, etc). It does look like it automatically updates though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it corrected. I forgot to take a picture of the box and it is already in trash, but it has the specs on the side, can't remember how many zones it said, but I do remember there had been a sticker placed over the weight spec to bring it to the 73 lbs. in the manual.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
1) Looks to be. I have some SD content playing right now (shrunk 16:9, just from my TV), side bars look just as dark as letter box bars.
2) I probably don't have the finest eye for things like that, but haven't noticed anything so far!
3) Quite fast. If I move the cursor rapidly, I can get a bit of a lag behind the cursor, but at "normal" pointing speeds it stays caught up. I have noticed once or twice in scenes with big brightness shifts a tiny delay. Not horrible, but on the edge of perception
4) Its not a smooth as say, an iPad or something, but compared to most "smart" TVs I have used, its great! Menus load quick, respond quickly to key presses on the remote, Netflix loads surprisingly fast and looks great too. Its quite a pleasant experience, especially compared to the horrible slow menus of most TVs. One thing to note though, not sure what happened, but it did have a big amount of slowdown once and really dragged. I had been changing lots of modes playing with my HTPC. A simple power cycle brought things back to normal though!

Are you able to 'count' the number of dimming zones using your mouse (rows x columns)??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pretty sure I'm going to take mine back. I did not like the full array dimming, it is too slow to turn off, if you move your mouse on a black background you get nice trails. I can see it pop on and off in sections of a scene in a movie and it really doesn't help all that much. You can turn off the dimming but the back light uniformity is bad, my lower left and upper right corners are super bright.

Smooth motion causes major artifacts but I don't like the 120hz affect anyways so I turn it off. The screen does take a 1080p 120hz input as well.

I've also noticed that there is some weird color banding that I believe has to do with the scaling from 1080p to 4k, I have seen other 4k sets do this same thing. It's like the upscaling strips out the small details and makes a color blob, for example a for head would have some freckles, I have noticed sometimes that those details are almost completely removed and what you end up with is just a blob of undetailed color.

I had 2 green dead pixels, 1 red, and 1 blue. Not noticeable at all unless you get with in about 2 feet of the display.

My camera sucks but here are some pics

Dimming off

61 - 80 of 18036 Posts