AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had the stand on it initially to determine the hight before i hung it. Sturdiest stand i've seen, all metal, VERY sturdy.
From the limited amount of time with my non working 70" P series, I am not impressed with the stand. Its not going to fall over or anything, but it's certainly not rock solid.

EDIT... its actually probably where the stand connects to the TV that gives the wobble, etc. So the stand ITSELF is strong, but overall its not rock solid.

LOL. Isn't this a bit silly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
can someone with a 70 do me a quick favor and measure the width of their box. need to know what vehicle to bring to make sure it fits. Will finally be going in about an hour

·
Registered
10 Posts
LOL. Isn't this a bit silly.

The stand is all metal alu casted it looks like. However sturdy it is, nothing is going to "not" move when you have such a massive panel on the other end of the fulcrum. Shrugs, it's unavoidable unless you want to snap the panel or put undue stress on it to keep it from moving.

can someone with a 70 do me a quick favor and measure the width of their box. need to know what vehicle to bring to make sure it fits. Will finally be going in about an hour
Box dimensions are listed on their site. It's around 66" iirc. It's not that long or tall btw. I was able to fit it into our Subaru Tribeca flat with room to spare. I did support the box in the middle with jackets to spread the weight though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Since there is gamma control on the P series should you set that to what you want like 2.2 or 2.3 and then use 11point for fine tuning or leave it at 2.1 and use 11pt?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stand

From the limited amount of time with my non working 70" P series, I am not impressed with the stand. Its not going to fall over or anything, but it's certainly not rock solid.

EDIT... its actually probably where the stand connects to the TV that gives the wobble, etc. So the stand ITSELF is strong, but overall its not rock solid.
The stand is an issue. It sits on top of a 30 inch cabinet I bought, and quite stable. But it is nowhere near as solid as the Sharp stand.

As for my own modest contribution to calibration, I am watching NCIS with Buzz's 55 inch suggestions, Normal color temperatire, and the Black settings at High (which eliminated a bit more red than seemed natural). Everything else off. The picture is quite comparable to the plasma in the other room, and more than satisfying.

You guys who just got the unit might tune into the football game tonight, and take a peek with the Standard mode, without adjustments. To me, that's when impact of 4k upscaling was apparent (plus other improvements). The qualitative improvement over the Sharp was obvious, and exciting.

·
Registered
745 Posts
We watch TV in a den in semi dark lighting. Our TV is a 4 year old 55" Vizio with an ISP panel and I wish it had a higher contrast ratio, at most it is 1000:1. Having 120 zones helps somewhat. So I would like to get the 70" with the VA panel since we watch from the center.

Gene

·
Registered
26 Posts
The stand is all metal alu casted it looks like. However sturdy it is, nothing is going to "not" move when you have such a massive panel on the other end of the fulcrum. Shrugs, it's unavoidable unless you want to snap the panel or put undue stress on it to keep it from moving.

Box dimensions are listed on their site. It's around 66" iirc. It's not that long or tall btw. I was able to fit it into our Subaru Tribeca flat with room to spare. I did support the box in the middle with jackets to spread the weight though.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought transporting 70" LCD's flat carries a high risk of cracking the screen since there's nothing to support the middle of the LCD along that axis? I'm not sure how supporting the box in the middle would help if the LCD surface is free to bend inside the box from the effects of gravity.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Since there is gamma control on the P series should you set that to what you want like 2.2 or 2.3 and then use 11point for fine tuning or leave it at 2.1 and use 11pt?
1. select the gamma preset
2. do the 2p GS (White Balance) - this will get your gamma in the ballpark
3. use the 11p GS to smooth out a fixed gamma or to adjust the downward slope towards 0 luminance with the 11p GS if you are calibrating BT.1886.

The 55P responded extremely well when calibrating everything with 75% Sat/75% Lum.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
with my eye it looks chevron (ips) but your picture goes horizontal, they look vertical on my set.
LCD Panel RGB stripes can be oriented either way vertical or horizontal depending on what the panel mfr is trying to accomplish with view angles and other considerations such as maximum number of panels and sizes cut from LCD glass sheet etc.
Vertical RGB stripe is the more common orientation but not universal.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Thanks, Eugene. Based on this IPS is better.
I'm not sure I would make that generalization at all. It all depends on which aspects of a panel you value higher. Also, there are crappy IPS panels and phenomenal VA panels, depending on the implementation.

Keep in mind that that article was written with respect to computer monitors, not HDTVs.

Reactions: fafrd

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
The stand is an issue. It sits on top of a 30 inch cabinet I bought, and quite stable. But it is nowhere near as solid as the Sharp stand.

As for my own modest contribution to calibration, I am watching NCIS with Buzz's 55 inch suggestions, Normal color temperatire, and the Black settings at High (which eliminated a bit more red than seemed natural). Everything else off. The picture is quite comparable to the plasma in the other room, and more than satisfying.

You guys who just got the unit might tune into the football game tonight, and take a peek with the Standard mode, without adjustments. To me, that's when impact of 4k upscaling was apparent (plus other improvements). The qualitative improvement over the Sharp was obvious, and exciting.
It could also be that the Sharp did not have a good picture and not necessarily that the Vizio is using some up-scaling magic.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
THX/ios can help a "little" bit. I've tried it. You'll be much better off downloading and burning the AVSHD disc and associated patterns manual. Re: my son, no, he doesn't know the first thing about calibration. I guess that's why he has me for a father. lolol
Second that on AVS HD709 disc or files + related info thats what I use. The difference between decent calibrated results and pre sets is sometimes startling and always better here . I've used AVS HD709 on 5 sets here with what I believe are good results. Short of an expert Pro calibration the results should be real good if done well.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

Reactions: JayB2

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have the 70P arriving this Sat. from BB online...
i didn't have the 10% discount like others have mentioned...
if i get the coupon... will BB do an instore price adjustment?

let me know..thanks!

can't wait to get the 70P

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ordered one from bestbuy store pickup. $1529 after movers guide coupon!

How did you go about doing this?

I tried using the movers coupon today and the BB system wouldn't allow it. I was trying to get the 60. It apparently fell under the "Excludes Unilateral Minimum Resale Price Products" clause.

Did you order online for in-store pick up? I tried ordering online but the coupon said in store only so I went to the store. Coupon wouldn't work with my order....

·
Registered
613 Posts
How did you go about doing this?

I tried using the movers coupon today and the BB system wouldn't allow it. I was trying to get the 60. It apparently fell under the "Excludes Unilateral Minimum Resale Price Products" clause.

Did you order online for in-store pick up? I tried ordering online but the coupon said in store only so I went to the store. Coupon wouldn't work with my order....
I ordered online for store pickup. The movers guide coupon I got had an online code on it.

941 - 960 of 18031 Posts