AVS Forum banner

10061 - 10080 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a P50 and I can take a picture tomorrow morning of it.
Do you or anyone else get the weird dimming in the gray background videos I posted?
Yes I get weird dimming in grayish backgrounds. I want to believe it's DSE but it's literally 2 splotches and they're quite annoying. I have a squaretrade warranty on top of this tv but idk If I should see if a firmware will fix it or just contact vizio

·
Registered
58 Posts
Trying to contact Vizio but got cut off. The Vizio tech I was speaking with gave a contact number: 878-4896 but did not provide area code. Anyone know what the area code is or have a contact number for Vizio? I don't want to waste another 15 minutes working my way through level-2 support...
I just looked through my call history on my phone and the number you are looking for is 1-877-878-4946. This was Vizio Support number when they called me back.

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,063
I just looked through my call history on my phone and the number you are looking for is 1-877-878-4946. This was Vizio Support number when they called me back.
Thanks for everyone's help on this.

I ended up going through level-2 again and am now online with level-3.

The 'bug' is apparently only the fact that calibration values are lost in the FW update process. For owners who have paid for professional calibration and don't have the wherewithal to save and re-enter CMS/11-pt calibration settings, Vizio does not want them to lose their calibration.

I just got myself put in the queue for an update to 1.1.11 and I'm told it will be pushed to my P70 within the next 24 hours.

Will let everyone know what I think of the new FW once I have it.

Oh, and my first experience with Vizio support has been very positive so far (though the proof will be in the pudding).

·
Registered
64 Posts

The 'bug' is apparently only the fact that calibration values are lost in the FW update process. For owners who have paid for professional calibration and don't have the wherewithal to save and re-enter CMS/11-pt calibration settings, Vizio does not want them to lose their calibration.

I just got myself put in the queue for an update to 1.1.11 and I'm told it will be pushed to my P70 within the next 24 hours.

Oh, and my first experience with Vizio support has been very positive so far (though the proof will be in the pudding).
Thanks for checking. I may do this as well since I've not calibrated yet. Let is know your impressions once you get the new FW.

·
Registered
58 Posts

That is great news! I hope you get your FW within the 24 hours they stated. I will caution you that I had been told various promises for an upgrade of FW since Nov 26 from Stewie, Josie, and Evan in support. I was originally told 1 week. Then I was told 1 day. Finally, I was told they cannot determine when FW will be updated. I sincerely hope you have better luck and am anxious to hear about your success or failed promise.

However, other than Vizio falling short on their first 2 promises of FW rollout to my TV, support has always been great to deal with. Leaps and bounds ahead of Samsung, Panny and Sony support based on my past experiences.

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,066
Thanks for checking. I may do this as well since I've not calibrated yet. Let is know your impressions once you get the new FW.
Will do. And to recover an existing calibration, all that is required is to write down and re-enter the CMS/11-pt settings. In fact, before agreeing to put you in the queue for FW 1.1.11, the Vizio tech is going to ask that you save your current CMS/11-pt settings into a computer file and confirm that you understand how to re-enter them.

They do not want to face a large number of unhappy customers who have lost their calibration settings without warning (an understandable reason to pause on the roll-out, especially given Vizio's 'push' update policy...).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Will do. And to recover an existing calibration, all that is required is to write down and re-enter the CMS/11-pt settings. In fact, before agreeing to put you in the queue for FW 1.1.11, the Vizio tech is going to ask that you save your current CMS/11-pt settings into a computer file and confirm that you understand how to re-enter them.

They do not want to face a large number of unhappy customers who have lost their calibration settings without warning (an understandable reason to pause on the roll-out, especially given Vizio's 'push' update policy...).
Vizio online chat is telling me no can do in the FW push. Is there someone specific you spoke with?

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,068
Vizio online chat is telling me no can do in the FW push. Is there someone specific you spoke with?
Yes, that is the standard response. You need to tell them that you are a member of AVS Forum where others have been told the FW update can be requested despite the 'bug' that has put roll-out on hold.

I spoke with Mark badge #204 in L3 support. The general number is 877 878 4946 but then you will need to ask for him and hope he is free. Mark is aware of AVS Forum (and probably this thread).

You will need to assure them that you can deal with losing your existing stored CMS/11-pt settings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Vizio really needs to work on their manufacturing and build quality. I am on P70 number two, soon to be on number three.

The first had a scratch about three from the right edge. I only noticed it when the sun was low in the sky in the afternoon, shining straight at the set. The scratch would reflect the light and appear as a white line even when something bright was being watched. It was deep enough to feel with my finger nail.

The second did have fine scratches, again mostly vertical, on the screen. In the afternoon sun, none of them appeared to cause a line from the reflecting sun light. However, after watching for about three hours, I started to get one or two vertical green lines along the entire right edge.

Now, do I try for set number three or give up and wait until 4K is more prevalent later next year? I am not sure how happy Costco will be to see me returning another defective set.

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
Yes, that is the standard response. You need to tell them that you are a member of AVS Forum where others have been told the FW update can be requested despite the 'bug' that has put roll-out on hold.

I spoke with Mark badge #204 in L3 support. The general number is 877 878 4946 but then you will need to ask for him and hope he is free. Mark is aware of AVS Forum (and probably this thread).

You will need to assure them that you can deal with losing your existing stored CMS/11-pt settings.

I don't believe the names they use are real ;) so asking for someone specific may not work. Sometimes it's best to just be direct and use the correct triggers to get beyond the 1st line of support.

Sent from an system/360

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,071
Vizio really needs to work on their manufacturing and build quality. I am on P70 number two, soon to be on number three.

The first had a scratch about three from the right edge. I only noticed it when the sun was low in the sky in the afternoon, shining straight at the set. The scratch would reflect the light and appear as a white line even when something bright was being watched. It was deep enough to feel with my finger nail.

The second did have fine scratches, again mostly vertical, on the screen. In the afternoon sun, none of them appeared to cause a line from the reflecting sun light. However, after watching for about three hours, I started to get one or two vertical green lines along the entire right edge.

Now, do I try for set number three or give up and wait until 4K is more prevalent later next year? I am not sure how happy Costco will be to see me returning another defective set.
Costco just sends these back to Vizio - it's not much skin off of their back. Sounds like really bad luck you've had. When I purchased my P70 at Costco, I got them to agree to an after-purchase on-the-spot inspection. I paid for the TV, removed the outer box and protective cover and inspected it right there in the store. This will only expose gross mechanical defects, but there were enough reports that I did not want to bring a P70 home only to discover an unpleasant surprise.

If you do decide to try for a third set, you might think about inspecting it before driving home - it took me less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10,072
I don't believe the names they use are real ;) so asking for someone specific may not work. Sometimes it's best to just be direct and use the correct triggers to get beyond the 1st line of support.

Sent from an system/360
May not be his real name, but I'm pretty sure that is his real badge #. He was very helpful and asked me about AVS Forum and I also told him I would be posting on this thread about what He had told me about the 'bug'.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I don't think the P series supports HDCP 2.2. Maybe the Reference series in 2015.

According to it's specs it does, on 3 of 5 HDMI inputs. I don't know that anyone has a piece of equipment with which to test that.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Alright one more gaming related question before I pull the trigger, but for those who game on this set, did you notice any difference in PQ between it and a 1080p set. Is it worse due to being scaled up, better, same?

10061 - 10080 of 18031 Posts