AVS Forum banner

10941 - 10960 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if my repeated emails, phone calls, and online chat sessions with Vizio support somehow placed me on a FW update ignore list. Haha. I was fairly abrasive with my requests as of late because I could never seem to get a straight answer. I plan to 'service check' all week and we shall see what that brings. If no dice, I will call them on Thursday.
I have been doing the service checks too and I got nothing. However, I wanted to see if I hard wired it would make a difference. I used a Powerline Ethernet adapter and usually when I turn the TV off one of the lights goes out (the active link light). My last time running it, al three lights stayed on for ~5 minutes. When I came back in the room the light was off. I turned the TV back on and it said that I got the update so in this case I was able to see something different on the networking side. I did try to reconnect to my 5GHz network and it wouldn't connect so I don't know if they fixed the problems I was having with 5GHz.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 3 days left before my return policy expires and am finally getting a chance to test my 70". It currently has firmware 1.0.4.1. I'm seeing some blotchiness in default Gaming mode (see attached for crappy iPhone pic). There was no source being fed to the TV, I just turned it on, it was on HDMI 5. Black detail = high, active led zones = off, sme = off, ca = off, reduce block noise = low, gll = on. Is the blotchiness in the corners normal?

I then applied Googer's P70 'Calibrated Dark' calibration settings he used for his friend's TV with the same firmware. There was no blotchiness. The screen (again with no source being fed) was pure black.

Destiny (PS4) looked very nice but it was or seemed too dark. How can I brighten it up since Googer's backlit is already at 100? Should I increase brightness?

Pic spoilered for size:

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those that have received the update and could see the sharpening bug that reviewers pointed out, can you tell whether it is now fixed? I've noticed it more in content with film grain, as did this Sound and Vision review:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/vizio-p652ui-b2-lcd-ultra-hdtv-page-2

When I watched 1080p Blu-ray movies and streamed Netflix Ultra HD content that was shot on film, however, the TV’s picture appeared noisy and unstable. My sense was that there was perhaps something about the random, chaotic patterns of film grain that caused the Vizio’s video processing to kick into overdrive, adding an active, “crawling” look that made pictures look decidedly low-rez."

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have 3 days left before my return policy expires and am finally getting a chance to test my 70". It currently has firmware 1.0.4.1. I'm seeing some blotchiness in default Gaming mode (see attached for crappy iPhone pic). There was no source being fed to the TV, I just turned it on, it was on HDMI 5. Black detail = high, active led zones = off, sme = off, ca = off, reduce block noise = low, gll = on. Is the blotchiness in the corners normal?

I then applied Googer's P70 'Calibrated Dark' calibration settings he used for his friend's TV with the same firmware. There was no blotchiness. The screen (again with no source being fed) was pure black.

Destiny (PS4) looked very nice but it was or seemed too dark. How can I brighten it up since Googer's brightness is already at 100?

Pic spoilered for size:
It looks like your brightness is too high. Make sure it's no higher than 50.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Destiny (PS4) looked very nice but it was or seemed too dark. How can I brighten it up since Googer's brightness is already at 100?

Pic spoilered for size:
Turn off Clear Action - with my set on 1.0.0, CA oddly made almost no difference to its brightness in Calibrated Dark, but on my friend's set (with 1.0.4.1) and on my set since updating to 1.1.14 last night, it has a huge effect even in Cal Dark (as it always has on other modes). You'll likely find it so bright you need to turn down the backlight from 100 at that point. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Turn off Clear Action - with my set on 1.0.0, CA oddly made almost no difference to its brightness in Calibrated Dark, but on my friend's set (with 1.0.4.1) and on my set since updating to 1.1.14 last night, it has a huge effect even in Cal Dark (as it always has on other modes). You'll likely find it so bright you need to turn down the backlight from 100 at that point. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
@Compeau. Brightness is at 50 in that pic. Did you mean backlit?
@Googer. Thanks for knowing that I meant to type Backlit instead of Brightness. :) Will try to turn CA off. If that doesn't work, any other suggestions or just wait till I get the new FW?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
@Compeau. Brightness is at 50 in that pic. Did you mean backlit?
@Googer. Thanks for knowing that I meant to type Backlit instead of Brightness. :) Will try to turn CA off. If that doesn't work, any other suggestions or just wait till I get the new FW?
Oh yeah, in regards to your other question about the blotchiness / brighter corners, some is normal with active LED zones off (which is another reason why turning it on is recommended - it helps hide dark-scene non-uniformity issues which is very common in LCD's). Your photo is overexposed so it's moderately likely it's not as strong in person as it looks like it is there but if that's not exaggerated then your set is probably on the edge of what should be considered acceptable. :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tomorrow I will try them thanks. Quick question those settings you apply to dark cal?

Just used your setting. Very Happy. You did a great job. Now can't wait to get my 4th tv replace this week coming. I am going to use your settings thank you very much. Still stuck on firmware 1.0.0 doesn't matter hope the new tv that's coming from Vizio has the update on it. Or if not they said it will update. Or I will call them..... Hope I luck out with a good tv
Thank you! That was my sixth try, when ColorChecker came back 1.43 I thought I had finally hit the nail on the head! I am also still stuck at version 1.0.0. If I ever get the update I will check and update my calibration numbers in the post as needed :cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Finally - turned my TV on this morning and I have 1.1.14 this morning. Yesterday is the only day I had not done a Service Check!

Mine is the P652UI-B2 bought from bestBuy on Nov 21, had 1.0.0 so far.

Quickly played around for 15 minutes, some early observations (I am an amateur):

(+) Amazon Ultra 4K looks pretty sweet. Very clean.
(+) My PC (nVidia GTX 970 card) now supports 60Hz at 4K - earlier was capped off at 30Hz.
(+) Overall 1080i broadcast (OTA) looks a little cleaner.
(+/-) With active LED, I don't think the zones completely turn off anymore. However, turning the mode on still seems to make a difference for the better, and I don't see the zones turning off with a delay anymore (for example, when I move a white mouse cursor around on a dark screen, earlier I would see a "zone trail"), and lighted zones do not stand out as much from the unlighted ones. Overall, I like this fix.
(-) The HDMI5 input blacking out for a second every few minutes problem is still there.

Did not try the UltraFlix thing yet - requires registering as a new user etc.

I can try things if people want me to. I'll play around with it some more this evening.

Hey what state bestbuy you get your tv?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tomorrow I will try them thanks. Quick question those settings you apply to dark cal?

Just used your setting. Very Happy. You did a great job. Now can't wait to get my 4th tv replace this week coming. I am going to use your settings thank you very much. Still stuck on firmware 1.0.0 doesn't matter hope the new tv that's coming from Vizio has the update on it. Or if not they said it will update. Or I will call them..... Hope I luck out with a good tv
Thank you! That was my sixth try, when ColorChecker came back 1.43 I thought I had finally hit the nail on the head! I am also still stuck at version 1.0.0. If I ever get the update I will check and update my calibration numbers in the post as needed
Sounds good thanks again.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Advice on P55

I would appreciate some advice on whether or not to buy the 55 version of this set. We moved last week and my 65 Samsung will not fit where the TV is designed to go in our new family room- I need to go to a 55" set max.

Those of you who have the 55 set, would you still buy this set or go with a 1080P Samsung or LG?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Does anyone have a small light leak in the bezel? I noticed yesterday when I look down on my screen, I can see a small light leak in teh middle of the bezel. It very small and is not view able from a normal viewing distance/angel. Just wondering if its something i should be concerned with. Thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
New 4K BluRay coming Vizio ok with it?

They announced new 4K Blu-Ray specs and i'm just wondering how Vizio P series will do with new 4K Bluray players and movies.
Is there Vizio missing some key things, if so what are they. After all we don't want a have this TV and soon enough can't perform with new 4K players and movies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh yeah, in regards to your other question about the blotchiness / brighter corners, some is normal with active LED zones off (which is another reason why turning it on is recommended - it helps hide dark-scene non-uniformity issues which is very common in LCD's). Your photo is overexposed so it's moderately likely it's not as strong in person as it looks like it is there but if that's not exaggerated then your set is probably on the edge of what should be considered acceptable. :p
Yeah, ALZ was off in those pics. I did turn it on and some of the blotchiness went away but not all of it. This was before calibration. So, in your opinion, should I exchange the set for a new one? I still need to run some other test patterns.

·
Registered
325 Posts
They announced new 4K Blu-Ray specs and i'm just wondering how Vizio P series will do with new 4K Bluray players and movies.
Is there Vizio missing some key things, if so what are they. After all we don't want a have this TV and soon enough can't perform with new 4K players and movies.
The 4K Blu-Ray spec hasn't been finalized yet, so nobody knows.

But the Vizio P-series has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, so it should work fine.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yeah, ALZ was off in those pics. I did turn it on and some of the blotchiness went away but not all of it. This was before calibration. So, in your opinion, should I exchange the set for a new one? I still need to run some other test patterns.
That depends mainly on whether you can see anything in normal content and, if so, it's objectionable enough to bother you. If not, then don't worry about it and enjoy your set and its wonderful bang-for-buck return. If it does, feel free to try exchanging for another since there are definitely sets out there with better uniformity than that (as well as others that were definitely far worse based on a few photos that have been posted). Also keep in mind it's far from just Vizio's that run into this - issues such as this affect sets from virtually all manufacturers, regardless of whether it's a budget set or a top-end model that costs several times more than these sets do. :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
That depends mainly on whether you can see anything in normal content and, if so, it's objectionable enough to bother you. If not, then don't worry about it and enjoy your set and its wonderful bang-for-buck return. If it does, feel free to try exchanging for another since there are definitely sets out there with better uniformity than that (as well as others that were definitely far worse based on a few photos that have been posted). Also keep in mind it's far from just Vizio's that run into this - issues such as this affect sets from virtually all manufacturers, regardless of whether it's a budget set or a top-end model that costs several times more than these sets do. :p

I noticed it while playing Destiny (PS4) but then again it was only on the loading screens. After using your settings, I don't see it, though it is too dark as previously discussed. ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My crystal ball isn't perfect here (given the spec isn't 100% finalized yet, it can't be ;) ), but given the P's specs (being HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2-compliant), it almost certainly will work but won't be able to take advantage of whatever 'advanced' PQ features that content producers may use - that is, expanded color gamut, HDR, etc., since the P sets' native gamut is roughly rec.709. The lack of a full high-bandwidth (18 Gbps) HDMI port likely won't really matter between this and the fact that bandwidth above 10.2 Gbps probably won't be needed at normal film frame-rates anyway regardless of color encoding format chosen for movies.

10941 - 10960 of 18031 Posts