AVS Forum banner

14821 - 14840 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've had my P60 for a month now and been really impress with the picture. I bought mine at Costco that came with the extended warranty for 2 years. I have 60 days from purchase to get the additional 3 year warranty from Square Trade through Costco.

What are your thoughts on extended warranties?

I was a little worry about buying a Vizio, but I'm happy with the purchase, but I'm wondering if two years is enough.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You'll never see 2160 unless the source is 2160 period end of story. The TV will always display the resolution that the source is sending it that's how ALL TVs work now. That is because all of the sources are upscaled to the tvs native resolution of 2160. If you haven't played any UHD sources you'll never see anything higher than 1080p.

Sent from nowhere
No, I understand all of that. I'm not even fighting against the grain on this. I just know from ALL the reading I've done on these P sets [and trust me, was a lot of pages before I purchased one] I've always liked Vizio t.v.'s and have a few others in the house along with my P60. But I have to admit I'm not really blown-away like some other people have posted in regards to the P-t.v.'s capability on how they upscale regular television resolution to make the picture look that much better. As of matter of fact, I'm actually disappointed in the set in some ways; and one being with my Xbox One. Yeah, the picture is nice and clear, but I really don't see the set upscaling the 1080P source to almost 4K like some claim. I was gaming on a Sony 900A prior to the Vizio, and I can't say the pictures between the two are that much apart. Maybe it's just me....

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
No, I understand all of that. I'm not even fighting against the grain on this. I just know from ALL the reading I've done on these P sets [and trust me, was a lot of pages before I purchased one] I've always liked Vizio t.v.'s and have a few others in the house along with my P60. But I have to admit I'm not really blown-away like some other people have posted in regards to the P-t.v.'s capability on how they upscale regular television resolution to make the picture look that much better. As of matter of fact, I'm actually disappointed in the set in some ways; and one being with my Xbox One. Yeah, the picture is nice and clear, but I really don't see the set upscaling the 1080P source to almost 4K like some claim. I was gaming on a Sony 900A prior to the Vizio, and I can't say the pictures between the two are that much apart. Maybe it's just me....

That is something different...you can't magically make a crappy signal look like a pristine 4k source, if you are looking for that it just won't happen. There is only so much a TV can do with a poor source (this has been discussed many times).

Of course there are many many factors that result in underwhelming picture. Settings, source material, environment, what set/size you had previously, what distance you watch from etc etc etc.

For HQ 1080p sources like Xbox you won't see a dramatic increase as it is just upscaling 1080p not converting to 4k.

Personally I haven't had an issue with how XBone or ps4 look. Remember everyone has different eyes and experiences. Not everyone will feel the same, if you're looking for excellent top of the line upscaling then get something like a Samsung, just expect to pay more and in some cases much more (if you want FALD still).

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
284 Posts
That sounds like an issue with the software in the Minix.
Yup, and for some reason I have read it is either fully or partly because Google won't allow it. Seems that they are licensing or some other way of controlling what software is allowed on what boxes related to YouTube. Could this also have some bearing on our P series TVs and be part of the reason we can't watch 4k YouTube? Yes, I know about vp9 and h264 but maybe our sets could do the decoding if Vizio was allowed to do so. Could it be a money licensing issue? Don't see how this makes sense for h264 4k however. Has anyone looked into the chips that are in our sets and tried to determine if the chipset is just unable to decode these by firmware or by software?

·
Registered
284 Posts
That is something different...you can't magically make a crappy signal look like a pristine 4k source, if you are looking for that it just won't happen. There is only so much a TV can do with a poor source (this has been discussed many times).

Of course there are many many factors that result in underwhelming picture. Settings, source material, environment, what set/size you had previously, what distance you watch from etc etc etc.

For HQ 1080p sources like Xbox you won't see a dramatic increase as it is just upscaling 1080p not converting to 4k.

Personally I haven't had an issue with how XBone or ps4 look. Remember everyone has different eyes and experiences. Not everyone will feel the same, if you're looking for excellent top of the line upscaling then get something like a Samsung, just expect to pay more and in some cases much more (if you want FALD still).

Sent from nowhere
Ph8te, I've read a couple of reviews that tout the two chip processing on the P series as being better that the Samsung. I don't own a Samsung 4k but since I have many Samsung products and like all of them, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sammy had a great upscaler on their one chip. Regardless, I'm happy with how the P70 upscales the content I watch.:)

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,827
Ph8te, I've read a couple of reviews that tout the two chip processing on the P series as being better that the Samsung. I don't own a Samsung 4k but since I have many Samsung products and like all of them, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sammy had a great upscaler on their one chip. Regardless, I'm happy with how the P70 upscales the content I watch.:)
For straight-upscaling of high-quality 1080p sources (BluRay), thecP70 does a great job.

For handling poor-quality highly-compressed sources like OTA and cable TV, the Samsung sounds like it may be superior. That's not a feature that matters much to me, but some owners value watching 480i on their 4K TVs...

·
Registered
20,227 Posts

My friend has a Sammy 4k and there IS a difference. His had the "Sammy sharp" look. I prefer the way mine looks, but to each their own, in the end as long as the owner is happy is all that matters.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

That's one of the biggest misconceptions of 4K televisions, that 1080p content will look better when it's upscaled to 4K. If anything 1080p content will look better natively on a Full HD television.

rtings.com has added an upscale section to their reviews and the P series doesn't fare very well with 1080p content. According to Cedric Samsung does a lot better job with upscaling.

Vizio P series Updated

Samsung JU7100

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
There is some logic to cutting off the supply of the 2014 P-Series TVs with the early release of the 2015 M-Series TVs. I mean, the 2015 M-Series appears to be identical to the 2014 P-Series except for the use of the inferior 2014 M-Series backlight, so having the 2014 P-Series in the channels next to the 2015 M-Series has got to cause confusion and slow down sales of the 2015 M-Series.

I would not be surprised to see supply of the 2014 P-Series TVs dry up as the 2015 M-Series lineup continues to roll out. And hopefully a week from now, we'll hear details of the 2015 P-Series lineup coming out late this year (in time for Black Friday again, I suspect ;)).

There is no law stating that vendors need to leave a lineup in the channels for a full year, nor that they need to continue to make it available until it's successor is released.

Next week should prove interesting...
I was thinking the same thing though I'm speculating since the M series is cheaper it may cannibalize sales from the P series, many may not comprehend the significance of twice the dimming zones as they zero in on that 4K resolution. Then again, how may folks will balk at requiring a wide piece of furniture for the 2015 M series? 5 months is a long time to have two similar series.

I still think it's possible the 2015 P series will become the defacto R series.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I was thinking the same thing though I'm speculating since the M series is cheaper it may cannibalize sales from the P series, many may not comprehend the significance of twice the dimming zones as they zero in on that 4K resolution. Then again, how may folks will balk at requiring a wide piece of furniture for the 2015 M series? 5 months is a long time to have two similar series.

I still think it's possible the 2015 P series will become the defacto R series.
The P70 is $2000 at Costco and has twice the local dimming and better contrast. The 2015 M70 is $2199.
The M70 is just a 2014 P70 with less FALD. The specs are the same.

Good business practice. I place to use the left over P series panel's when they upgrade the 2015 P series panel's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can any owners of the P55 provide any insight into how common corner glow/ips glow is in this panel?

I am one of the rare breeds that completely prefer the color of ips to deep blacks of VA.

However, I do care about blue/Yellow glow in the corners. I have a P55 right now that seems to have some noticeable glow when using bright setting. It is all but completely gone when the set is in Dark Calibrated mode.

Anyways, I think I may exchange it hoping for a better panel.

Can anyone provide Pics of their p55 in dark scenes with different settings to demonstrate the general quality of the panel?
I am wondering if I have acceptable glow or if this is just gonna happen. Or if the panels themselves are just prone to this.

This would not be the first time I rolled a TV until I got a perfect panel, if it is possible.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just picked up a new P60 from BJs and I'm going through the paces with it. It came out of the box with firmware 1.0.0. I was able to force an update to 1.1.14 but I'm still not able to update to the latest release.

I've gone through the calibration thread with great success, colors are much improved and seemingly accurate, thanks to all those that invested time calibrating. I like SOE and high sharpness so I've adjusted to my liking and I like what I see so far. I would say the image is crisp and clear but cable channels are not quite as clear and detailed as the W630B I had recently.

I am running into a major issue while streaming Netflix 4k. I would describe what I'm seeing as 'horizontal split-screen tearing'. The image is split into two horizontally aligned sections, it seems that one side of the image is lagging behind the other or one side is taking longer to process the data. Is this a Netflix issue or a Vizio issue?

I though it might be the GLL bug but toggling that off/on didn't change anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

The tv is showing promise other than a few minor issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Has anyone else's TV restarted (rebooted)? It's happened to me several times, watching a show, then the screen goes blank and the Vizio logo comes on, then the show resumes. Firmware issue?

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
Has anyone else's TV restarted (rebooted)? It's happened to me several times, watching a show, then the screen goes blank and the Vizio logo comes on, then the show resumes. Firmware issue?

You need to call Vizio that is not normal. If you have CEC on try disabling that to see if it helps.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am running into a major issue while streaming Netflix 4k. I would describe what I'm seeing as 'horizontal split-screen tearing'. The image is split into two horizontally aligned sections, it seems that one side of the image is lagging behind the other or one side is taking longer to process the data. Is this a Netflix issue or a Vizio issue?
I saw that Netflix bug once or twice, but not in a long time. It may be that it was fixed in a recent update. Rebooting the TV should fix it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I saw that Netflix bug once or twice, but not in a long time. It may be that it was fixed in a recent update. Rebooting the TV should fix it.
Thanks for the feedback. It's an intermittent bug so I'll keep rebooting in hopes that it will eventually disappear and never return.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bought an Alienware Alpha a couple of days ago, and it was trivially easy to output 4K at 60Hz on it. All I had to do is go through the initial update process, and then select 4K 60Hz in the display options. The desktop space you get with 4K is ridiculous. It's crazy to have a 720p video playing in a tiny window that only fills 1/9 of the screen (yet still being displayed at full resolution).

I watched a few 4K YouTube videos, but was unimpressed. You can really tell how much better h.265 compression is to h.264: 4K at normal streaming speeds using the older codec looks pretty bland. Only when the picture is perfectly still does it look good. YouTube is supposedly changing 4K videos over to VP9, so maybe that will make them look a little better.

I tried playing a handful of 4K videos in VLC, and some worked beautifully while others chugged. It's probably based on whether the system can do hardware decoding of the particular codecs (or maybe it's a bitrate issue). I'll need to do some more playing around with it.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Just sell it when you get the 4K Oppo. I have two, one I bought in 2010 (a BDP-83) for 500. If you check the usual places, it sells between 350 to 500, if you can find one, since people just don't get rid of them.

The current Oppos (I have the 103D) upscale to 4K. New 4K Oppos are not expected until 2016, probably later in the year.

Or 2017.

14821 - 14840 of 18031 Posts