AVS Forum banner

14841 - 14860 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well I hope that this issue will get fixed. I realize that perhaps we're not using the USB as they had intended but what about people who rip Cd's with dts sound on it? On a side note now it seems that I can't play even Dolby from the USB on my theatre speakers. It worked before but now I can't seem to get it back. It plays over the TV speakers but not through my AVR that is ARC enabled. I know ARC is working because Netflix is doing its thing. It's frustrating to say the least. Maybe this 1.1.19 update will help. Doubt it tho.
Didn't get fixed thru the 1.1.19 update either. My dts playback was fine yesterday as I just purchased this tv and it was on 1.1.14 and now dts playback thru dlna is gone, which sucks as I find video quality and playback superior that trying to stream thru my ps3. I get judder and a hit of quality loss using the ps3 which I assume is due to another processor being involved.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had my P60 for a month now and been really impress with the picture. I bought mine at Costco that came with the extended warranty for 2 years. I have 60 days from purchase to get the additional 3 year warranty from Square Trade through Costco.

What are your thoughts on extended warranties?

I was a little worry about buying a Vizio, but I'm happy with the purchase, but I'm wondering if two years is enough.
I am usually against extended warranties. The typical offer is an overpriced insurance that the retailer makes almost pure profit on. Pay a few hundred, and chances are you don't make a claim.

However, I thought that the $89 that Costco is offering (less than the sales tax in TX) is relatively cheap to get five years that you don't have to worry about another purchase. I was on the fence about it, then decided that the overall cost is still a good price. Costco's price is cheaper that what you can get directly from SquareTrade.

·
Registered
20,424 Posts
It was on ARC Only

Turn off the CEC function if it's on to see if that resolves the issue (even if only ARC). It's just a test to see if that fixes the random restarts. I would still call Vizio as you have been having this problem for awhile.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's one of the biggest misconceptions of 4K televisions, that 1080p content will look better when it's upscaled to 4K. If anything 1080p content will look better natively on a Full HD television.

rtings.com has added an upscale section to their reviews and the P series doesn't fare very well with 1080p content. According to Cedric Samsung does a lot better job with upscaling.

Vizio P series Updated

Samsung JU7100
But then there is this:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8061391/vizio-p-series-review-4k-tv
Where they say:
VIZIO'S UPSCALING ENGINE IS ONE OF THE BEST I'VE SEEN

To upscale HD content to 4K, a TV must double the pixels, replicating the data to form a seamless image. Manufacturers create their own upscaling engine using algorithms and processors to make their upscaled content distinct from the competition — usually with ridiculous names to go along with it (Sony has its 4K X-Reality PRO engine, while LG’s upscaling engine is dubbed the Tru-4K Engine Pro) — and Vizio’s Spatial Scaling Engine is one of the best 4K upscaling engines I’ve seen so far.

Detail and color reproduction were flawless when the P-Series upscaled 1080p content to 4K. We played 4K versions of The Blacklist and Breaking Bad, and then again in 1080p, and a number of Verge staffers couldn’t tell the difference. That’s not a common occurrence with 4K TVs, especially those in this price range. This is mostly due to the V6 six-core processor Vizio has put in the P-Series. It’s a two-chip solution that powers the upscaling engine using a quad-core GPU and a dual-core CPU. Just like every other TV manufacturer who talks about their upscaling engine, Vizio says it is improving the picture as they upscale, but this time it’s undeniably true.

"Our competition is trying to do this in a single chip, and when you try to do it in a single chip it becomes overwhelming, depending on the content and what you’re trying to achieve in terms of picture," says James Kittle, an engineer at Vizio. "That’s why we’ve gone with the two-chip combo, so we can make sure we’re not just scaling, but we’re also fine-tuning the picture quality as we do the upscale."

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am usually against extended warranties. The typical offer is an overpriced insurance that the retailer makes almost pure profit on. Pay a few hundred, and chances are you don't make a claim.

However, I thought that the $89 that Costco is offering (less than the sales tax in TX) is relatively cheap to get five years that you don't have to worry about another purchase. I was on the fence about it, then decided that the overall cost is still a good price. Costco's price is cheaper that what you can get directly from SquareTrade.
I have another question regarding SquareTrade and Costco. What if something happens to my P60 within 2 years and Costco took care of the problem, either repairing or a total replacement. What will happen to SquareTrade warranty, if I decide to get it? Will it transfer over to the replacement set, or am I just out of luck and the extended warranty is no longer valid anymore

·
Registered
89 Posts
Turn off the CEC function if it's on to see if that resolves the issue (even if only ARC). It's just a test to see if that fixes the random restarts. I would still call Vizio as you have been having this problem for awhile.

Sent from nowhere
It's still within my exchange policy at Costco, just called them to send out another unit. Weird because this will be my 3rd unit, and it's happened on both of the ones I've had so far.

·
Registered
20,424 Posts
It's still within my exchange policy at Costco, just called them to send out another unit. Weird because this will be my 3rd unit, and it's happened on both of the ones I've had so far.

If you take arc out of the equation then you will know for sure that it's not that which is a common thread for both sets. It could be any number of things. It is also not heard of to have 2 bad sets in a row.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
140 Posts
1) yes it is known that the P series clips WTW and BTB. You also want to make sure your source is set up correctly so that no added processing is going on.
I was going nuts over this for a few minutes earlier today. Thanks for confirming that this is expected behavior.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I remember reading someone else's post that was having the same issue with intermittent TV restarts, and this only occurred for that poster after the 1.19 firmware.

Another issue is if you have a USB drive plugged into the side, sometimes the power button on the remote won't work. Removing the USB drive has solved that issue for me.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Only HDMI 1 supports ARC, but all of them support CEC, for what it's worth.

It's worth a lot to me :). I route 8 HDMI devices through my AVR (an Onkyo) and into HDMI 5, in order to get the very low display latency for my video game consoles, and use optical S/PDIF for sound from the VIA apps. The S/PDIF input on the AVR is shared with one of the HDMI inputs; the television uses CEC to automatically switch to that input when I start a VIA app and back to whatever it was on when the app exits. It works flawlessly.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is it recommended to use the HDMI 5 input for gaming? I have a ps4 and xbox one, and its a pain to switch all the time. Playing on the other HDMI ports does show quite a bit of lag. I just purchased the 50 Inch B1E version from Sam's. Are they any settings other the video lag setting that could be adjusted to help? Early on, I'm not really happy with the picture so far. It's good, but not great.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Is it recommended to use the HDMI 5 input for gaming?

Yes; HDMI 5 with Game Low Latency enabled yields an outstandingly low 16-19ms of display lag. As stated in my last post I route 8 HDMI devices through my AVR into HDMI 5 so that I can get that low lag for my Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3. It's been said that there's some sacrifice to PQ using HDMI 5 but it looks good to me.

Except on HDMI 5 with GLL enabled, display lag is very bad to horrible on these televisions. From the rtings.com 2014 P-Series review:

Using the ‘Game Low Latency’ feature drops input lag to a very low 18.7 msecs, but only on HDMI 5. On HDMI 1-4, the lowest it gets is 45.5 msecs. Without GLL, HDMI 5 has an input lag of 85.5 msecs (84.3 with interpolation), and HDMI 1-4 has one of 103.9 (102.9 with interpolation).

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have another question regarding SquareTrade and Costco. What if something happens to my P60 within 2 years and Costco took care of the problem, either repairing or a total replacement. What will happen to SquareTrade warranty, if I decide to get it? Will it transfer over to the replacement set, or am I just out of luck and the extended warranty is no longer valid anymore
The warranty will transfer. Just go through Costco's concierge service to handle the replacements.

Keith

14841 - 14860 of 18031 Posts