AVS Forum banner

15221 - 15240 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new TV for my living room and these two are what I'm currently looking at because it seems to be the best value at the moment.

There's only one thing that I'm not sure on, which model should I be getting?

Currently these are the prices of each on Amazon at the moment:

P602ui-B3 - $1,299.99
M60-C3 - $1,498.00

The M60 C3 is running for $1,299.99 on Ebay at the moment, so both models are the same price. Which is the better value?

Is the M60 improved than the P60 since it's a 2015 edition?

I know the series go from E > M > P , but the M being a newer model I'm not sure how it stands at the moment.

Thanks guys!

Also if you want to suggest another TV please do, I've been looking around for the past week and it's hard not knowing anything about the TV market at the moment.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't think the active led areas are the issue. It's actually worse with it turned off. I've attached pics so you can see the blocky issues. Typically occurs with dark images. You can really tell when there's a gradient between dark and light. Anyone else have this? Do I have a bum unit?
That's typical with horrible cable compression and an uncalibrated set.

Watch some good sourced material and you'll see that's not an issue.

·
Registered
20,220 Posts
I don't think the active led areas are the issue. It's actually worse with it turned off. I've attached pics so you can see the blocky issues. Typically occurs with dark images. You can really tell when there's a gradient between dark and light. Anyone else have this? Do I have a bum unit?

This almost look like compression artifacts. Have you tried a new HDMI cable? Or have you tried bypassing anything you have I between your source and TV?

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
9 Posts

This almost look like compression artifacts. Have you tried a new HDMI cable? Or have you tried bypassing anything you have I between your source and TV?

Sent from nowhere
I'm using the hdmi cord that came with the tv. The source is my dvr box from the cable company. It's driving me insane. I'll play with the dvr box and try a different cable. Any suggestions on a better hdmi cable?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm using the hdmi cord that came with the tv. The source is my dvr box from the cable company. It's driving me insane. I'll play with the dvr box and try a different cable. Any suggestions on a better hdmi cable?
That really just looks like a crappy signal from your cable. Some of the stuff they broadcast is pretty bad.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
If you have a better source, like a bluray player, test with that to see if the artifacts come up.

Or as a test you could change the cable box resolution to the channel's broadcast resolution so the cable box doesn't do much processing, let the TV upscale and see if there's any change. As an example - ABC channels broadcast at 720p.

Of course if the provider is compressing the heck out of the signal....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you have a better source, like a bluray player, test with that to see if the artifacts come up.

Or as a test you could change the cable box resolution to the channel's broadcast resolution so the cable box doesn't do much processing, let the TV upscale and see if there's any change. As an example - ABC channels broadcast at 720p.

Of course if the provider is compressing the heck out of the signal....
Yeah I agree my CBS 720p looks bad in all my sets do to high compression. For instance it looks no better on my F8000 1080p set than on my P70.
As they say garbage compression in garbage out. Has nothing to do with any TV.
It is sad that at this far in HD and we still don't really have great HD. I really hope if and when cable companies move to 4k they don't compress it to the point that it's junk

One of my best cable channel's is NBC.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yeah I agree my CBS 720p looks bad in all my sets do to high compression. For instance it looks no better on my F8000 1080p set than on my P70.
It is sad that at this far in HD and we still don't really have great HD. I really hope if and when cable companies move to 4k they don't compress it to the point that it's junk

Why is your CBS 720p?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

It may be that your cable box is set to 1080i. Since NBC is 1080i, the signal is left essentially alone and it's fed to the TV which upscales it to 4K.

An experiment, if you'd like to try it would be to set your cable box resolution to 720p and see if that makes a difference - if it makes the ABC channels look better (leaving the 720p channels alone) and mucks up the 1080i channels - the cable box would convert the 1080i to 720p for output.

Does your cable box support 'native' resolution?

If it does, then you can pretty much take the cable box out of the equation since it would just pass through the signal as it's received rather than convert it. So it would output 720p for the input 720p and 1080i for the input 1080i.

It would then let the TV do all of the upscaling. That might fix some of the bad signal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Any word on a 2015 P series?

Not sure why this is such a mystery this year with Vizio.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Any word on a 2015 P series?

Not sure why this is such a mystery this year with Vizio.
No. The scuttlebutt is that there isn't going to be a P-series this year.

I'm hoping that it's just a one year gap to focus on the Reference series, and that next year they'll come back with a P-series that's a happy medium between the cheap 4K M-series and the premium Reference series.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

I'm hoping that it's just a one year gap to focus on the Reference series, and that next year they'll come back with a P-series that's a happy medium between the cheap 4K M-series and the premium Reference series.
My prediction is that there will be at least a 75 inch P-series by the end of the year. There is a gap right now between the 70” and 80” M-series that the P-series would slot into very well. They could charge $4999 for it and still be above the 80” M-series.

I also don’t think that the M80 will show up at $3999. I think it is going to be closer to $3000 at the start. However, it won’t be until the fall until we see either set.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Well that sucks. I hope that is not the case. Had the 2014 P for a minute and loved it. Unfortunately too many issues and I was holding out for the 2015 :(

·
Registered
299 Posts

MY guess IS you're just making up your own stories, or do you have any source for that.

I don't think it would be too smart to skip the P-series for one year. The P-series is the best seller and same is going to happen with the 2015 P-series, not everybody is ready to pay much more for the long promised and many time postponed R-series.

I personally would be happy to wait and pay for the R-series but for PC gaming and monitor the Max size I can use is 55" therefore I'm waiting for the 2015 P-series.

Actually I'm waiting for the P-series since Jan 2014 CES. Decided not to buy the 2014 mode which is not the best option to use for high end PC gaming and monitor, not supporting [email protected] with 4:4:4 choma and buggy [email protected], still not fixed as promised now for a long time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
MY guess IS you're just making up your own stories, or do you have any source for that.
My response was that there wasn't any news, and then I mentioned "the scuttlebutt", meaning rumors. I'm not making up the idea that such rumors exist: just read the past 20 or so pages of this thread. There are plenty of signs and people speculating.

·
Registered
20,220 Posts
My response was that there wasn't any news, and then I mentioned "the scuttlebutt", meaning rumors. I'm not making up the idea that such rumors exist: just read the past 20 or so pages of this thread. There are plenty of signs and people speculating.

Most of that is people "guessing" because the M series is 4k. 1 persons question has turned into "rumor". Of course the website that had the new size listings of the P series went against that. P series is a late in the year release regardless, so we probably wouldn't hear anything until mid to late summer.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
If you plan on watching a lot of sources that are not pristine and the compression artifacts bug you then you may want to consider a 4K television that has better upscaling/video processing. Contrary to what has been opined multiple times here all TVs are not created equal in terms of upscaling/video processing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sitcoms on ABC looks pretty bad for me. I don't know if its the frame rate or the resolution, but motion is pretty bad. There is a lag, only with ABC and only with sitcoms.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
ABC looks bad on my F8000 and my W900. But looks no worse on my P70 I read this in every forum from time to time.
I know how networks compress there signal. And that before it gets to your cable or Sat providers. Then the provides are aloud to compress that signal again if they see fit.. Only some networks tell providers that they can only compress to X again.

Plus it kills me that we still even have 720p to this day. Even some 720p station look like crap on both the 1080P sets I own and posted above.

Now we want to say that X TV doesn't do a good job at upscaling in all forums I see this.
No it's down to this garbage in garbage out. There is no super upscaler out there that can produce information that isn't in the signal.
Once its compressed its gone.

That's why we all love the look of our Blu Ray's.

15221 - 15240 of 18031 Posts