AVS Forum banner

15321 - 15340 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I just got the 60" P series from BJ Wholesale for 1135..any good calibration settings for the 60"? I have been trying but the white seems way blown out and the skintones are trending orange ( and is 1135 a good deal for this? )

There's a list of links to posts containing calibration settings in post 3 of this thread. It's always a good idea to peruse the first few posts in a thread like this before posting; often you'll find some of your questions answered there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ARC question . .

I have a P70, which is working great. However, when watching Netflix through the ARC function (HDMI 1), I can't seem to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. My Pioneer 1123 receiver shows "Dolby Pro-Logic IIx Movie." Sound is OK but I sure would like to be getting full Dolby Digital, which is showing as the output from Netflix (English 5.1 Primary) on the Netflix "Info" button of the TV. I have CEC enabled for ARC, TV speakers to "OFF" and Audio output of the TV to "Bitstream," which the TV instructions say to use if more than 2-channel stereo is desired. (I tried the PCM setting through ARC but can't tell any difference.) I have a High-Speed HDMI cable, 6 ft length.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Walmart canceled my order for the Vizio P502ui-B1e refurb for $400, so looks like Im holding out for a B1 or maybe an M50 or M55
Bummer that would presumably be a steal... Maybe Tiger Dirct ,Newegg or Epay has some? I've seen *a few* Vizio P refurbish out in the wild,
I don't remember the $$'s though :confused:

OTOH you have the 51f8500 Sammy plasma....even putting aside a 50" 4K within a *few ft. I can't imagine the Vizio P (or very many LCD ) topping that anyway my Sammy plasma destroys :
*most things out there* including my 2013 Sony which is real decent and a solid 7.9 overall, 9.2 Dark and 9.3 bright at rtings.com that ain't bad whereas the Vizio P was a solid 8.0 overall and very good 9.5 bright and 8.0 dark IOW the 2013 Sony murdered it in the dark ☻☻
ofc keeping in mind the overall score is weighed by *some points *other than picture quality *
Looks like .....................Vizio P don't be wanting to meet a good Sony in a dark alley at night won't see it ! :D

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
ARC question . .

I have a P70, which is working great. However, when watching Netflix through the ARC function (HDMI 1), I can't seem to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. My Pioneer 1123 receiver shows "Dolby Pro-Logic IIx Movie." Sound is OK but I sure would like to be getting full Dolby Digital, which is showing as the output from Netflix (English 5.1 Primary) on the Netflix "Info" button of the TV. I have CEC enabled for ARC, TV speakers to "OFF" and Audio output of the TV to "Bitstream," which the TV instructions say to use if more than 2-channel stereo is desired. (I tried the PCM setting through ARC but can't tell any difference.) I have a High-Speed HDMI cable, 6 ft length.

Any suggestions?
maybe another cable or *reverse * that cable seen stranger things :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure we can help unless you give us more information about your PC setup. Seems there must be something that isn't set up correctly. Myself and many others have hooked up PCs/Laptops without issues
Via HDMI.

Sent from nowhere

Tried it once again and now I'm pretty sure its the settings on the PC, the tv displays half a black screen and half a gray screen screen is split horizontally?!?

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Is there a general consensus on whether prospective buyers should opt for either the P-series or 2015 m-series? I'm thinking about a 65" or greater set. It's primary use will be watching content from a TiVo mini, Netflix using Xbox One and experiencing 4K Netflix, Amazon content using the built-in apps. It also be used for sports now and again. Sound will be output to the Vizio S4251 5.1 Soundbar. It's a bedroom, so it's a dark environment and we're about 12 feet from the set.

MSRP is greater on the P-Series, but retail prices seem to be the same for these sets. I should note that my wife and I despite SOE. Can that be fully disabled on the P-series and if so, does it affect the overall picture quality. What's the better value and better long-term buy? Are there any other considerations, factors that I should consider?
You seen the 2015 M reviews at rtings .com they liked the M , said it had same same panels as P's for most of the sets *IIRC and weighted it pretty equal picture wise *with much less out of box calibration issues* also with *better M model 1080p-2160p* upscale and noted more FALDdimming zones on the P vs M which they don't much like much on the any Vizio anyway :confused:they pretty much favored the M at a similar or less price. OMO M looks a lot better they are copying the new 2 twinkle toe 2 foot style stands like everybody else now that the premium Sony's started ☻☻

Vizio M pulled a Solid 8.1 overall
solid 9.1 bright room and 8.1 dark room
8.0 upscale 8.5 gaming
-VS-
Vizio P pulled off 8.1 overall
solid 9.5 bright room and 8.0 dark room
7.7 upscale:confused: 8.5 gaming

FWIW (or not) The 2013 Sony no FALD on bottom *here* competes very well with *both of these* at rtings.com (1080p) wise
beats the M Bright and Dark room and gets off and murders both of them at nite ☻☻

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/m-series-2015

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/p-series

m-series-2015

p-series

Just had to throw in my 2013 50" 1080p no FALD Sony Darkslayer 2nd set in here just to mess wit U all
my Sammie Plasma has those stupid looking Samsung chicken feet :D

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
No. The scuttlebutt is that there isn't going to be a P-series this year.

I'm hoping that it's just a one year gap to focus on the Reference series, and that next year they'll come back with a P-series that's a happy medium between the cheap 4K M-series and the premium Reference series.

I just saw THIS posted on the "VIZIO ELECTRONICS" Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/vizio):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Isenberg Why are you discontinuing the P series which out less than a year?
Like · Reply · 3 hrs (Ago)

Vizio John-We will be releasing information about the P-Series at a later date. As more information becomes available we will be sure to let our fans know! -Lexie
Like · 1 hr (Ago)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It only adds to the mystery of what VIZIO is up to with the "P-Series".

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I just saw THIS posted on the "VIZIO ELECTRONICS" Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/vizio):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Isenberg Why are you discontinuing the P series which out less than a year?

Vizio John-We will be releasing information about the P-Series at a later date. As more information becomes available we will be sure to let our fans know! -Lexie
Like · 1 hr (Ago)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted there told them about the ^^^ darkslayer 2013 Sony Bravia that (1080p) murdrred the M and both of them ( M and P ) at nite at rtings.com U all better hope they come up with something better just saying probably something more than the P that competes with a 2013 1080p Sony Bravia (1080p wise) also or they need to give them away just saying bro ... :D
OTOH the 2014 Bravia is *not as good* as 2013 @ 1080p if that's any consolation ☻☻

OH ur embedded link don't work copy and paste *in between* URL start /stop HTML tags ...i.e. url inside [ ] and /url inside [ ]

·
Registered
20,227 Posts

Like · 1 hr (Ago)

What mystery? They are releasing it later in the year and will probably have a separate release event for it. There will be an increased size range as well. *shrug* this is the standard reply for companies when no information is available.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
465 Posts
This means if my 2 month old P craps out on me by the end of the year, I may get an new P series?

Hopeful that my 2 months old doesn't dies.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It seems like Ultra HD Blu Ray standard was finalized yesterday. I am seeing various comments that the existing 4K TV will not support it (REC 2020/BT.2020) due to wider color gamut and something else.

Can anyone here with more knowledge can clarify how will this affect us?
A: We will not be able to see any video at all
B: We will be able to display that video but [obviously] with lower quality

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 55" P series that will be used primarily for video games. I'm trying to get old consoles working (NES, SNES, N64) and not getting anything to work. I've tried using a coax connection (RF) on the NES and composite video. Both just show "No signal" on the Vizio. As for the N64 I was able to get video to show up using composite video connection but it's black and white.

A couple of questions,

Any ideas on how to get the RF connection through coax to work with an nes?

For the composite video connection the issue appears to be that Vizio combines component and composite video on the same port. I see no way to select composite from the inputs, only component. Another weird thing is the black and white picture only shows up intermittently as if the Vizio has trouble detecting a signal.

Ps all of these work fine on my Sony LED purchased in 2014.

Thanks!
Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I just bought a 55" P Series and I can not get any of my retro video game consoles to work on the composite input or the coax input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What mystery? They are releasing it later in the year and will probably have a separate release event for it. There will be an increased size range as well. *shrug* this is the standard reply for companies when no information is available.

Sent from nowhere
I realize I didn't write that LAST sentence correctly... I was referring to the mysterious SILENCE from Vizio on details about the (continued existence) of the 2015 P-series and when we would see the new models. In fact there were TWO statements from various VIZIO representatives about it. All that I read before this page was conjecture on this very forum about a 2015 P-series... and this is the first concrete statement made by Vizio about the 2015 P-series, seen or heard anywhere, about it.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Sent from nowhere
Mmm a new (improved P might interest me ) and more so if it works well without the need for firmware patches and maybe something instead of a sharp panel ...... that could be interesting >
I haven't been trolling here much lately :p

I'm wondering about of box returnable issues and over all reliability of the P and 2015 M ofc its to early to tell about dependability on those M , maybe out of box DOA or half dead DOA and so on. The one thing I do like about the P is the phat brightness potential now if they could some how up the contrast they could be into something maybe just a better panel my Sony does 5000:1 without any FALD ( Samsung panel) thing would probably be a killer with some FALD ..actually it's pretty decent as is . I'm just looking to go a little bigger and probably 4K anyway and no part of an IPS panel .

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is very likely I'll get that 2015 P-series right at launch if it comes out before late October. Maybe even that 80" version if that's actually going to be a P-series size this time. I love the value of Vizio that I've seen during my research and their tech and the gaming mode. The little glitches and stuff I've seen reports of is what held me off from getting the P-series and M-series so far during my 4K desires of the past 6+ months, but I think the 2015 P-series will be the one for me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hate to say but I just got a 65HU9000 and it has much better upscaling that my P70 has. And also the colors are a lot better. As far as black level I can say now that I have the HU9000 in my media room it also has great black levels.
Vizio is doing a great job but I'm loving the PQ on my HU9000.
If you read back before you will see I'm pro P series. But had to share my opinion.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Hate to say but I just got a 65HU9000 and it has much better upscaling that my P70 has. And also the colors are a lot better. As far as black level I can say now that I have the HU9000 in my media room it also has great black levels.
Vizio is doing a great job but I'm loving the PQ on my HU9000.
If you read back before you will see I'm pro P series. But had to share my opinion.
I saw those Sammys at best buy can't deny they are good ,they are very good ( like my 2013 Samsung Plasma ) It will be interesting to see the new P models though .
I found current Viz P was *not quite what I wanted* for 2nd set in here *if I was to replace * (2013 50" Sony that Doesn't need replace anyway .) When I looked at the P model at BB store....... OTOH I like the brightens potential on those ( and price ,seems like good value ) but they need to up the game to sway *me* (probably only because I don't 'really need' a set and this one is real good 1080p , 4K is probably fine just not a present priority for me YMMV .( going to look at the Sony 55X850B SAT )..OTOH I hope the New M and P works out for Viz competeition is a good thing :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
For someone sitting 12-13 feet from a set, would they see the advantages of 4K on a 65" set? According to the charts, it's only visible on larger displays. I'm considering the 2014 70" M-Series vs. the 65" P-Series. Both fall within my budget. Factoring in the lack of 4K content, the comparison falls between upconverted 1080i content on 65" P vs larger display of 14' M-Series.

M-Series is slightly cheaper at $1533 vs $1649 for 65" P-Series.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
For someone sitting 12-13 feet from a set, would they see the advantages of 4K on a 65" set? According to the charts, it's only visible on larger displays. I'm considering the 2014 70" M-Series vs. the 65" P-Series. Both fall within my budget. Factoring in the lack of 4K content, the comparison falls between upconverted 1080i content on 65" P vs larger display of 14' M-Series.

M-Series is slightly cheaper at $1533 vs $1649 for 65" P-Series.

Thoughts?
Where can you get the 2015 70" M70 for $1533? That is about the price of the M60.

Oh wait I see you are talking about the 2014 M-series. Don't but that TV. It is actually rated even lower than the less expensive 2014 E-series. I would definitely go for a 2014 P-series or even better a 2015 M-series. Personally I really don't like the 2014 M-series at all. I would take a 2015 E-series over the 2014 M-series any day.

15321 - 15340 of 18031 Posts