AVS Forum banner

15381 - 15400 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I just checked it after getting home and I just get audio and a black screen. I've tried it three times now and I get the same black screen. Admittedly, I hadn't checked it ever since Time Warner upgraded my internet speeds to 100 down and 10 up (about two months ago) and everything worked fine then. At that time I was getting the video to read the 15600Kbps.

When you had the scrambling problem did it affect the UI overlays? I've seen a scrambling problem that affects only video; the UIs and UI overlays over the scrambled video are perfect. I've only seen that once or twice on Netflix; it happens every time on VUDU and Hulu Plus, sometimes with Amazon video. This problem scrambles everything; the Netflix UI, the Amazon UI when I switched to Amazon and even the fullscreen VIA apps menu when I pulled that up.

I really suspect that it's a test of new encodings for HEVC-capable devices. It displayed 6960 Kbps for 1080p, when the 1080p encodes should be 4300- and 5800 Kbps. (Higher bit rates for existing resolutions doesn't seem like a direction they'd want to go in; it might provide better quality, but fewer people would have service at high enough speed to see it and it'd cost them more for storage). It also displayed a 3600-something bit rate as it marched up through encodes when I watched it recently (it won't start at less than 6960 Kbps 1080p for me at the moment so I can't check those lower bit rates). The only bit rate starting with a "3" should be the 3000 Kbps 720p one.

Whatever they're doing, when it that clip hits 2160p on my P60 it completely fracks up VIA and only exiting it will get rid of the graphics scrambling.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I sent Vizio a problem report:

I feel absolutely certain that there's nothing immediate that you can do about this but you should be aware. When I play the test clip "El Fuente 60 MP10" (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70297469) on the VIA Netflix app in my P602ui-B3 (running the 1.1.19 firmware) the graphics become scrambled when it reaches the 2160p (4K) video encodes. It's permanently screwed up at that point--the scrambled effect remains on the screen if I press the button to switch to the Amazon app and/or if I press the VIA button twice to switch to the fullscreen VIA app browser. Only exiting the VIA apps altogether stops it. This is consistently reproducible.

This problem does not happen when playing any of the other 4K Netflix videos and I suspect that it's due to Netflix's experimenting with new encodings for HEVC-capable devices in that test clip (there's new information printed on the clip only as played on my P60 out of several Netflix playing devices that I've tested and the bit-rates shown are somewhat different than before and on those other devices). If so, they may intend to switch to those new encodings at some point which would be bad for P-series users who use 4K Netflix unless this problem is addressed.

If you have 4K Netflix, please try playing "El Fuente 60 MP10" and report back what happens when you hit 2160p video. Maybe it doesn't happen to everyone. The 1.1.19 firmware is running on my P60.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just tried watching the clip again and initially it played for awhile, but then I got the scrambled screen. I couldn't exit Netflix as I couldn't see any of the menus. I had to turn off the tv to exit. Tried the clip again and the same thing happened.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
--Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk--

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I just tried watching the clip again and initially it played for awhile, but then I got the scrambled screen. I couldn't exit Netflix as I couldn't see any of the menus. I had to turn off the tv to exit. Tried the clip again and the same thing happened.
You don't have to turn off the TV--just hit the Amazon button, wait a second and then the EXIT button. Or you could blindly hit EXIT, RIGHT, OK--works for me :D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
edge distortions

I just got the 60 inch, and am seeing a lot of edge distortion on certain scenarios with the smoothing enabled. I was wondering if it repros for all tvs?
Does it repro on standard settings on this youtube video "P.T. - Mega64" (search mega 64 *note there is some harsh language in the video) at time 1:19 to 1:40 look inside the !!!! and everytime it goes over the door jam or lock I get extra stuff that should not be there. I am wondering if this is a problem with my TV. can people respond with if this is normal or not? I am using the .19 firmware

Thanks,
oneeyedelf1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Through the mess on the screen I seemed to see it put up a bit rate number starting with the digit 9 and stay there; it used to be that the 2160p bit rates were 8000-, 10000-, 12000- and 15600 Kbps, nothing starting with 9. Perhaps they're changing that and we're only seeing the new encodes in that test clip. Hopefully they don't switch the other 4K material to the new encodes before this problem gets solved.
My P65 is doing the same thing. I can also just see the number 9. It only tends to happen when 1080p switches to 2160p. I was able to go and watch an episode of the Blacklist and hit the info button to ensure I was getting 2160p (didn't need it though, after watching season 2 over cable, it's completely OBVIOUS how much better 4k in season 1 is).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sent Vizio a problem report:

If you have 4K Netflix, please try playing "El Fuente 60 MP10" and report back what happens when you hit 2160p video. Maybe it doesn't happen to everyone. The 1.1.19 firmware is running on my P60.
Exact same results. As soon as it hits 12000/2160 the screen goes to static. Anything below that plays OK. I tried it a few weeks ago and it worked fine so this is something new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought the 'Taxi Driver' Mastered in 4k blu ray disc although I'm aware that it is still 1080p on the back of the case it says "expanded color requires xvYCC compatible TV and player" would the P series fall into this category?

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
I just bought the 'Taxi Driver' Mastered in 4k blu ray disc although I'm aware that it is still 1080p on the back of the case it says "expanded color requires xvYCC compatible TV and player" would the P series fall into this category?

Not that I am aware no, I think this only applies to some Sony and possibly Samsung products.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
So is there any real differences watching these 'Mastered in 4k' discs on a P Series compared to a 1080p display?

Probably not; there's extra information on those which only helps Sony 4K up converting equipment.

Reactions: Ph8te

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone. I've just finished reading through quite a few of the pages in this thread and I've really got to applaud you people for truly knowing your stuff. It seems I'm in very good company!

I need some advice. I'm doing research into a P-Series model that is currently being offered at a very attractive price - the P502UI-B1E. My intent is to use it as a dedicated 4k computer monitor, and I'd like to get some advice as to whether or not that's a good choice.

• I understand that it has the capability to display 4k resolution at 60Hz when using its HDMI 2.0 port.
    • Does anyone have one of these connected to a PC in this way?
      • If so, which GPU are you using, and how well does the setup work?
      • Does it display with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling?
  • Provided that it works well, I'd like to buy the set and use it that way eventually. But until GPUs with HDMI 2.0 become more mainstream, I'd like to use it with my existing Nvidia GTX-670s (two of them in SLI and under water). This would mean using one of the HDMI 1.4 ports and displaying the same resolution, but at 30Hz.
    • Since the main idea is to increase desktop real-estate under normal conditions (ideal for work programs like PS and indesign, web browsing, etc) I don't see this as a problem. But, should I? Right now, I have (3) 23" 1080p monitors each at 60Hz. Under non-gaming conditions, will my eyes notice a difference dropping down to 30Hz?
    • For when I do play games or watch movies, I imagine that I could switch resolution back to 1920 x 1080 and jump refresh rate up to 120Hz. Is this true?
  • Finally, I should mention that the displays I work with right now are LG E2250T-PNs. I also have a Panasonic TC-L42E50 that I use when I want to game console-style or watch movies.
    • Taking into account the specs of my current monitors and TV, is there anything I'll notice about the Vizio P502UI-B1E that's worse than what I'm used to?
Sorry about the bullets, it seemed like a good way to ask a lot of questions in an at least semi-organized fashion. I appreciate the help! :)

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
The B1E is a 60hz variant of the P series. It won't do [email protected] (I don't think) and none of the P series do [email protected] 4:4:4

If you want [email protected] AND 4:4:4 you need to look at a different brand and will need to spend more money most likely.

Personally I wouldn't use the P series as a dedicated PC monitor as it wasn't made with that in mind. It was made with a huge focus on it being a TV.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use the P series as a dedicated PC monitor as it wasn't made with that in mind. It was made with a huge focus on it being a TV.

My P60 is my only PC monitor and has been since I got it in October (replacing the P55 I got in September) so I can attest that it works well for that purpose. I've been using a big flat screen TV as my PC monitor for over 10 years, sitting 6-8 feet from it with a wireless keyboard and mouse on a laptop cart in front of me. I am not, however, a PC gamer and I just run it at 1080p60 for that. I am a console gamer, so I route everything (8 HDMI devices in all) through my AVR into HDMI 5 on the TV to use the super low latency mode.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey everyone. I've just finished reading through quite a few of the pages in this thread and I've really got to applaud you people for truly knowing your stuff. It seems I'm in very good company!

I need some advice. I'm doing research into a P-Series model that is currently being offered at a very attractive price - the P502UI-B1E. My intent is to use it as a dedicated 4k computer monitor, and I'd like to get some advice as to whether or not that's a good choice.

• I understand that it has the capability to display 4k resolution at 60Hz when using its HDMI 2.0 port.
    • Does anyone have one of these connected to a PC in this way?
      • If so, which GPU are you using, and how well does the setup work?
      • Does it display with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling?
  • Provided that it works well, I'd like to buy the set and use it that way eventually. But until GPUs with HDMI 2.0 become more mainstream, I'd like to use it with my existing Nvidia GTX-670s (two of them in SLI and under water). This would mean using one of the HDMI 1.4 ports and displaying the same resolution, but at 30Hz.
    • Since the main idea is to increase desktop real-estate under normal conditions (ideal for work programs like PS and indesign, web browsing, etc) I don't see this as a problem. But, should I? Right now, I have (3) 23" 1080p monitors each at 60Hz. Under non-gaming conditions, will my eyes notice a difference dropping down to 30Hz?
    • For when I do play games or watch movies, I imagine that I could switch resolution back to 1920 x 1080 and jump refresh rate up to 120Hz. Is this true?
  • Finally, I should mention that the displays I work with right now are LG E2250T-PNs. I also have a Panasonic TC-L42E50 that I use when I want to game console-style or watch movies.
    • Taking into account the specs of my current monitors and TV, is there anything I'll notice about the Vizio P502UI-B1E that's worse than what I'm used to?
Sorry about the bullets, it seemed like a good way to ask a lot of questions in an at least semi-organized fashion. I appreciate the help! :)
I get 4K at 60Hz on my P60 using an Alienware Alpha. I believe it's 4:2:0 subsampling. There was no fiddling needed: I just selected 3840x2160 60Hz from the resolution menu. Having the PC display at 4K is pretty dang impressive, and running games at 4K is even more impressive. Now granted, that little $500 HTPC isn't able to run new graphically intensive games at 4K 60fps, but for older games or indie games it works great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Probably not; there's extra information on those which only helps Sony 4K up converting equipment.
That is a bummer I guess i know now to stay away from the 'Mastered in 4k' versions of discs. Although I did notice an improvement on 'Taxi Driver', finer grain, better color but it must of just been the extra 10 or so mbps on the encode compared to my normal US BD of taxi driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The B1E is a 60hz variant of the P series. It won't do [email protected] (I don't think) and none of the P series do [email protected] 4:4:4

If you want [email protected] AND 4:4:4 you need to look at a different brand and will need to spend more money most likely.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not necessarily looking for 4k @ 60Hz and 4:4:4. That would be ideal, but I'm not prepared to spend in excess of a grand on my computer monitor. And even if I were, the more research I do, the more mythical such a panel becomes.

I'm thinking that I would settle for a monitor that does 4k @ 30Hz and 4:4:4, switchable to 1080p @ 60Hz and 4:4:4. That way I can use 4k screen real-estate for graphic design, etc. and when I want to play a game, just switch back to 1080p and get back my 60Hz refresh rate. Will the P-series allow this?

Sent from nowhere
My P60 is my only PC monitor and has been since I got it in October (replacing the P55 I got in September) so I can attest that it works well for that purpose. I've been using a big flat screen TV as my PC monitor for over 10 years, sitting 6-8 feet from it with a wireless keyboard and mouse on a laptop cart in front of me. I am not, however, a PC gamer and I just run it at 1080p60 for that. I am a console gamer, so I route everything (8 HDMI devices in all) through my AVR into HDMI 5 on the TV to use the super low latency mode.
Thanks for the reply. Hah, you sit 6-8 feet from your computer monitor? And here my plan is to buy a 50 inch and sit 2 feet from it. So, you can confirm that the P-Series will do 1080p at 60Hz? When using it in this mode, do you get 4:4:4 subsampling?

I get 4K at 60Hz on my P60 using an Alienware Alpha. I believe it's 4:2:0 subsampling. There was no fiddling needed: I just selected 3840x2160 60Hz from the resolution menu. Having the PC display at 4K is pretty dang impressive, and running games at 4K is even more impressive. Now granted, that little $500 HTPC isn't able to run new graphically intensive games at 4K 60fps, but for older games or indie games it works great.
Thanks! I see, so 4k at 60Hz, but with 4:2:0 subsampling. I'm pretty certain that I'd rather have 30Hz with 4:4:4 than 60Hz with 4:2:0, for graphic design purposes. But from what I gather, it looks like the P502UI-B1E will effectively offer me all three of these things:

• 4k @ 30Hz with 4:4:4
  • 1080p @ 60Hz with 4:4:4
  • 4k @ 60Hz with 4:2:0
Provided that I'm willing to frequently change resolutions and input ports to suit my needs. Am I right?

·
Registered
169 Posts
From what I have read the newest Mac Minis will output 4k. Anyone have any experience? Thinking about picking one up as they are $399 at Microcenter right now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had my first real problem with my 50 B1. TV turned on correctly. Switched to the amazon app and that's when things went crazy. All colors were off. It was like when a video card goes bad in a PC. Had some flickering. Went away when I turned off and back on but I find it weird because I was using the build in app and not something connected to an HDMI port. I hope this doesn't continue.

·
Registered
20,227 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Hah, you sit 6-8 feet from your computer monitor? And here my plan is to buy a 50 inch and sit 2 feet from it. So, you can confirm that the P-Series will do 1080p at 60Hz? When using it in this mode, do you get 4:4:4 subsampling?

Thanks! I see, so 4k at 60Hz, but with 4:2:0 subsampling. I'm pretty certain that I'd rather have 30Hz with 4:4:4 than 60Hz with 4:2:0, for graphic design purposes. But from what I gather, it looks like the P502UI-B1E will effectively offer me all three of these things:

• 4k @ 30Hz with 4:4:4
  • 1080p @ 60Hz with 4:4:4
  • 4k @ 60Hz with 4:2:0
Provided that I'm willing to frequently change resolutions and input ports to suit my needs. Am I right?

Just remember they are using the 60" and not the 50b1e that you are looking at. The 50b1e is different than the rest of the line since it is a 60hz TV and the rest are 120hz (native). I'm not sure that the 50b1e will be able to do everything the others do. I know there have been a "few" reports on it so if you do a search for b1e in this thread it should give you a better idea. Just want to make sure you go in knowing the limitations of the set before you buy one.

Sent from nowhere

15381 - 15400 of 18031 Posts