AVS Forum banner

17981 - 18000 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, you ever find a solution for these issues? I've got the same things going on over here. Started happening after last month's firmware update. I've also resorted to turning the tv off and then back on again to get the video going, but lately I've had to do that at least twice before the video comes on. Unable to stream from my Plex server on the same network now as well. Finally got fed up enough to check if any others were facing similar issues.

Unfortunately, I continue to have the issue. I did send in a request to Vizio support. The following was their reply:
"
Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you. I apologize to hear you are having difficulties with your VIZIO TV. I would recommend performing a power cycle on your TV and re-seat all of the devices that are connected to it. Please follow the steps in this order: 1. Power off the TV. 2. Unplug the TV from the outlet. 3. Disconnect all devices from the TV. 4. Press and hold in the power button on the side or back of the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall). 5. Release the power button. 6. Plug in the TV. 7. Reconnect all devices. 8. Power the TV back on. Please also try to reset the unit. If you have a menu button please follow these steps: 1. Press the Menu button on the VIZIO remote 2. Select the System option 3. Select Reset and Admin 4. Select Reset TV to Factory Defaults The TV will restart and begin the initial setup again. If you have a cast model, please locate the buttons on the side of the TV, you should find 4 of them. The bottom two would be input and volume down, these are the two we need. You would need to press these two together for 5-10 seconds, until a bar appears on the top of the TV. Then, you need to press the input button (the bottom button) for 5 seconds, until the screen goes black. This would cause a factory reset to the unit. Once this is completed, please follow the prompts that get displayed to set the TV up once more. You will need to re-pair your smartphone or tablet using the VIZIO SmartCast application during this. If no change after either, please test another device to the unit. Does the second device have the same issue? If so and you have had the unit for less then a year, please provide us with this info: -The serial number of your device -A copy of your receipt -Your physical address -A valid contact phone number -A photo of your full TV, powered on, with the issue present (if applicable) If over a year (& not purchased through one of the select few retailers like Costco or HSN) then you are outside the one year warranty provided by VIZIO. By all of the symptoms you've explained you are going to need the TV repaired. I do not have the schematics of your TV in order to diagnose this. You would need to consult a technician in order to properly diagnose the issue since many issues cause similar symptoms. I do not want to advise you of anything specific, and have you purchase the part and end up wasting your time or money. Unfortunately the cost of repair or part is not determined by VIZIO but by the parts/repair facility, however if you contact them they will be able to give you a quote. VIZIO currently has one partner company who is certified to perform repairs on VIZIO TV's. You can reach them at ITI- (888)248-2708. ITI's hours are Monday-Friday 8am-8pm Central. Thank you, Ashton VIZIO 800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750 Dakota Dunes SD 57049 Phone 877-878-4946"

I had already attempted the steps provided above (both of them, due to the excellent help found here) before sending off my request. It looks as though I will have to call in some diagnostic help to fix, what is probably a board that went bad. That, I have yet to do. I may just scrap it for a new set, and use it as a secondary set, with the added bonus of turning it on/off twice. Please keep us updated if you find a solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, I continue to have the issue. I did send in a request to Vizio support. The following was their reply:
"
Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you. I apologize to hear you are having difficulties with your VIZIO TV. I would recommend performing a power cycle on your TV and re-seat all of the devices that are connected to it. Please follow the steps in this order: 1. Power off the TV. 2. Unplug the TV from the outlet. 3. Disconnect all devices from the TV. 4. Press and hold in the power button on the side or back of the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall). 5. Release the power button. 6. Plug in the TV. 7. Reconnect all devices. 8. Power the TV back on. Please also try to reset the unit. If you have a menu button please follow these steps: 1. Press the Menu button on the VIZIO remote 2. Select the System option 3. Select Reset and Admin 4. Select Reset TV to Factory Defaults The TV will restart and begin the initial setup again. If you have a cast model, please locate the buttons on the side of the TV, you should find 4 of them. The bottom two would be input and volume down, these are the two we need. You would need to press these two together for 5-10 seconds, until a bar appears on the top of the TV. Then, you need to press the input button (the bottom button) for 5 seconds, until the screen goes black. This would cause a factory reset to the unit. Once this is completed, please follow the prompts that get displayed to set the TV up once more. You will need to re-pair your smartphone or tablet using the VIZIO SmartCast application during this. If no change after either, please test another device to the unit. Does the second device have the same issue? If so and you have had the unit for less then a year, please provide us with this info: -The serial number of your device -A copy of your receipt -Your physical address -A valid contact phone number -A photo of your full TV, powered on, with the issue present (if applicable) If over a year (& not purchased through one of the select few retailers like Costco or HSN) then you are outside the one year warranty provided by VIZIO. By all of the symptoms you've explained you are going to need the TV repaired. I do not have the schematics of your TV in order to diagnose this. You would need to consult a technician in order to properly diagnose the issue since many issues cause similar symptoms. I do not want to advise you of anything specific, and have you purchase the part and end up wasting your time or money. Unfortunately the cost of repair or part is not determined by VIZIO but by the parts/repair facility, however if you contact them they will be able to give you a quote. VIZIO currently has one partner company who is certified to perform repairs on VIZIO TV's. You can reach them at ITI- (888)248-2708. ITI's hours are Monday-Friday 8am-8pm Central. Thank you, Ashton VIZIO 800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750 Dakota Dunes SD 57049 Phone 877-878-4946"

I had already attempted the steps provided above (both of them, due to the excellent help found here) before sending off my request. It looks as though I will have to call in some diagnostic help to fix, what is probably a board that went bad. That, I have yet to do. I may just scrap it for a new set, and use it as a secondary set, with the added bonus of turning it on/off twice. Please keep us updated if you find a solution.
This was, word for word, the same reply I got from Vizio support when I contacted them this past weekend. I still suspect this is a problem with the firmware as both issues appeared right after the latest update last month. If the problem really is something like a bad board, I'm good with getting a whole new set, but I'd hate to scrap it if it is just a firmware issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This was, word for word, the same reply I got from Vizio support when I contacted them this past weekend. I still suspect this is a problem with the firmware as both issues appeared right after the latest update last month. If the problem really is something like a bad board, I'm good with getting a whole new set, but I'd hate to scrap it if it is just a firmware issue.

I tend to agree that a firmware update might play a role in this. However, would we not see a larger outcry? I am holding on my verdict to purchase a new one (PQ-65?:)Maybe?) It is a nuisance, but not a deal-breaker, to have to turn on/off twice. Let us see if Vizio rolls out a new firmware update.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also started having problems with the audio. Sometimes when switching inputs on my avr I get no sound. Have to either power cycle or change inputs to get audio back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tend to agree that a firmware update might play a role in this. However, would we not see a larger outcry? I am holding on my verdict to purchase a new one (PQ-65?:)Maybe?) It is a nuisance, but not a deal-breaker, to have to turn on/off twice. Let us see if Vizio rolls out a new firmware update.
Having done a little (lot) of youtube and googling, I think I know what the issue may be. It may be a failing power board. I have looked at a particular site that sells boards, and this may be what is needed. If not that, it may be the main board, or the t-con board. I am hoping it is not the backlights, as I don't want to replace them myself. Changing the boards looks pretty straight-forward, though. I have yet to invest in a new board(s), but look to do so in the near future. If you want to know the website name, let me know. Also, if you want to go for it before I do, please post back on your findings. Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I broke down and purchased a new power board. Expect it to arrive Wednesday. If I get the time, I will post video of my problem, and, potentially, the replacement of the power board. I am hopeful it is just the power board, and nothing else. Replacement of the backlights looks daunting. Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: Sorry, no video to post. Wanted to get it done as quickly as possible to avoid screaming children. Purchased the new power board. Unplugged the TV and let it sit for a few minutes, and also pushed the "Power" button to discharge any capacitors. Unscrewed the four screws of the stand; unscrewed the four mounting screws (not using at present, but they screw into the chassis); unscrewed about 16 screws on the outside of the panel; unscrewed four screws near the main board. Note, the back panel doesn't just lift up. There are mounting clips (if that is what they are called, and a lot of them) holding the back panel onto the TV. I used the old "credit card trick" by sliding it between the back panel and the bezel. Lifted up and dusted the back panel. Unplugged the cables to the power board (3 I believe); unscrewed the six screws holding the power board in place; replaced with the new power board; screwed in the six screws; plugged in the cables to the power board (3, I believe); plugged in the system to verify it would work; turned on the TV and whoo hoo, it turned on; put on the back panel and all of its screws; remounted the stand; moved it to its desired position; enjoyed TV. So far, it has turned on each and every time. Remember, my problem was that it would deliver picture every other power on. It progressively got worse. So, for about $100.00, I am back up and running. Will follow up after a month or two and see if it is still functioning properly. Probably about a 45 minute job. Those mounting clips are a pain.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Update: Sorry, no video to post. Wanted to get it done as quickly as possible to avoid screaming children. Purchased the new power board. Unplugged the TV and let it sit for a few minutes, and also pushed the "Power" button to discharge any capacitors. Unscrewed the four screws of the stand; unscrewed the four mounting screws (not using at present, but they screw into the chassis); unscrewed about 16 screws on the outside of the panel; unscrewed four screws near the main board. Note, the back panel doesn't just lift up. There are mounting clips (if that is what they are called, and a lot of them) holding the back panel onto the TV. I used the old "credit card trick" by sliding it between the back panel and the bezel. Lifted up and dusted the back panel. Unplugged the cables to the power board (3 I believe); unscrewed the six screws holding the power board in place; replaced with the new power board; screwed in the six screws; plugged in the cables to the power board (3, I believe); plugged in the system to verify it would work; turned on the TV and whoo hoo, it turned on; put on the back panel and all of its screws; remounted the stand; moved it to its desired position; enjoyed TV. So far, it has turned on each and every time. Remember, my problem was that it would deliver picture every other power on. It progressively got worse. So, for about $100.00, I am back up and running. Will follow up after a month or two and see if it is still functioning properly. Probably about a 45 minute job. Those mounting clips are a pain.
Congrats

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
The P60 (2014 vintage) started at first very intermittently showing no picture. Backlight and audio worked OK. No power problems. Diagnosis was a Tcon board.

Kept that up for about 2 months but I didn't have time to screw with it. Then power problems. Sometimes it would power up, sometimes not. Eventually died as I was watching football a couple weeks ago. Ordered a Tcon board and a power board.

Installed both (total cost $98 US). Upon closer inspection 4 caps (1000uF 16v) on the power board were bulged so I have those on the way from Digikey as to have a possible backup just in case.

Good to have it back operational. Later on a tale of the ongoing BS with a certain warranty company trying their best to get me to accept some garbage TV as a replacement for my P60.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
The P60 (2014 vintage) started at first very intermittently showing no picture. Backlight and audio worked OK. No power problems. Diagnosis was a Tcon board.

Kept that up for about 2 months but I didn't have time to screw with it. Then power problems. Sometimes it would power up, sometimes not. Eventually died as I was watching football a couple weeks ago. Ordered a Tcon board and a power board.

Installed both (total cost $98 US). Upon closer inspection 4 caps (1000uF 16v) on the power board were bulged so I have those on the way from Digikey as to have a possible backup just in case.

Good to have it back operational. Later on a tale of the ongoing BS with a certain warranty company trying their best to get me to accept some garbage TV as a replacement for my P60.
Please do tell your tale on the insurance hassle. I bought my P70 from Costco with a Square Trade extension out to 5 years for my P70. Although I have had no problems to date I would like to know what to expect if I do.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Less than 4 years in my P60 finally does not want to turn on. No amount of hard restarting, unplugging and power cycling will make light up.

Boy, usually it takes 5 years for my flat panels to croak. This is disappointing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Less than 4 years in my P60 finally does not want to turn on. No amount of hard restarting, unplugging and power cycling will make light up.

Boy, usually it takes 5 years for my flat panels to croak. This is disappointing.

Best answer, and while it is disappointing to all of us who have had this problem, do the youtube searching for what might be wrong. Might just be a quick fix with a new power board. Hope that is all it is. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
My P70 is hung closely on the wall so I can't see the back control panel. Does it have a digital audio ouput that uses a standard audio plug, in addition to the optical type? I'm using the optical to feed my AVR and need the standard digital plug to feed a soundbar I just pulled out of the closet.

Or as an alternative, how does the ARC on HDMI 1 work? I am currently using HDMI 5 as my input route. If I connect HDMI 1 to the soundbar will the P70 output sound over HDMI to the soundbar while it takes video input from HDMI 5?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

Well, at least it died right when a replacement would be really cheap!

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I broke down and purchased a new power board. Expect it to arrive Wednesday. If I get the time, I will post video of my problem, and, potentially, the replacement of the power board. I am hopeful it is just the power board, and nothing else. Replacement of the backlights looks daunting. Cheers!
I installed a replacement power board on my Samsung 51" F8500 last year. It was pretty simple to do.

I got a refurb P502ui-B1E from Walmart in April 2015 for $350. It's been a great set.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Two nights ago, my 16 month old got a hold of the TV remote and set it to vivid mode.

And it looked beautiful. Like, I was thoroughly impressed and we have left it on that setting since.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
I've been having trouble syncing my P70 with my Directv C61K client receiver. The basic problem is that it is going through a Monoprice Pro 4K splitter that has an automated EDID interface. It is supposed to, I believe, read the P70 capabilities when first turned on and match them up with the Directv receiver. However, It usually doesn't work well and presents a green screen once it settles down. Different kinds of actions eventually get a hookup but don't seem to form a pattern. These actions can be changing channels, turning the splitter off then back on, turning the receiver off then back on, etc. Frustrating and a pain in the butt.

I'm hoping that someone here has gone through this routine and found a foolproof way of fixing the problem. I'm wondering if there is a setting on the Vizio that might make the handshake easier. This is my third 4K splitter I've tried so I don't see changing splitters as my best option. Anyone?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Can you play HDR10 content on these sets?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm sure this has come up somewhere in the 600 pages, but if I hook up a Chromecast Ultra to my P70 to add casting and Google assistant abilities, can it turn on the TV? If I hook it up to my Denon AVR-X3200 receiver (instead of the TV) can it turn on both the receiver and the TV?

If not, it obviously defeats the purpose.

Thanks.

17981 - 18000 of 18031 Posts