AVS Forum banner

18021 - 18031 of 18031 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have a p702ui-b3. It's a smart TV. Can someone tell me how to be able to power cycle it with Alexa, and which Android app you can use as a remote?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, just found the site, first post,

I own the P series P702ui-B3

Love it, I have had it for 5 years or so.
Lately it is acting strange, when I first get up and turn the tv on, I get no Vizio logo, sound and back light but no picture.

Once I turn it off and then start it again, it starts normally, every time.
I contacted Vizio support they had me unplug it and press the power button, plug it back in and then re start it, which did work, but I wont know if it worked for sure until tomorrow morning after it has sat for several hours and I go to power it on for the first time of the day.
I do not work on tvs or know much about electronic repair, however it seems to me that once it warms up a little it is fine, which is why if I shut it of now and then re start it it seems to be fine, but in the morning after sitting for 5 to 8 hours it seems to need a second try to start.

I am wondering if this is a known issue or if others have had this same problem with their P series sets or not.
I would need a repair tech out of warranty to work on it but if that is what it takes then that is what I will look into.
I just was hoping to find out others have run across this and there is a simple fix or inexpensive repair that people are aware of.
Thanks very much for reading my post and for any information that you might be able to offer me.

Lump

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
When I first get up and turn the TV on, I get no Vizio logo, sound and back light but no picture. Once I turn it off and then start it again, it starts normally, every time... It seems to me that once it warms up a little it is fine, which is why if I shut it of now and then re start it it seems to be fine, but in the morning after sitting for 5 to 8 hours it seems to need a second try to start...

That's a common symptom of one or more failing capacitors. Usually, this is the Power Supply board, though it could be another board failing (which could be corrupting the PS board). It won't get any better. Eventually, you won't be able to power-up the TV. With some models, there are Power Supply Repair Kits sold online, such as eBay. I have repaired an old Plasma Vizio TV with such a kit years ago. That TV is still operational today (as far as I know - I don't have that TV anymore. Another member of the family has it).

If you can find someone handy in electronics, I'd suggest to have all boards replaced at the same time. (Check if your model has boards sold online).

- Pj (From the other Vizio Thread.)

Reactions: lumper

·
Registered
26 Posts
P702ui-B3 needs repair

So I posted a week or so ago about a powering on issue I was having, well today it powered off for the last time and now it is dead.
I called a few places and I am going to have a tech look at it for me Friday afternoon.
when I talked to Vizio they said out of warranty they cant advise on me on anything not even a tech, just to look in my area for a local tech and call them.
One tech I talked too said they are 90% of the time back light issues and expensive, around $400 parts and labor and that they usually dont recommend doing it.
He said they are very common, but I havent heard of any online that woudl make me think that then again he is a tech so......maybe?

They recommend replacing it, but with the 70" they said it may be worth looking at, it is a $2000.00 tv so if I had to pay up to $400 to fix it I think it would be worth it personally, since I cant afford to replace it anytime soon and I do love this picture for tv, movies and gaming.
I am hoping that it is a capacitor or power board that can be swapped out, I have seen several videos of repair techs who have run into those type repairs so I am hopeful.
I do plan to buy an LG oled in the spring, but thats a few months off yet, and in the meantime my backup is a 2008 Mitsubishi rear projection model Ive had for a long long time, lol such a downgrade but meh, its a temporary fix.

Does anyone here have any information on past repairs or issues that others have been through and things to consider, look out for or to do?
If I dont find an alternative or better idea I am goign to drop it off the day after tomorrow and have it looked at for $50.
Thanks for reading this and for any information that might help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a common symptom of one or more failing capacitors. Usually, this is the Power Supply board, though it could be another board failing (which could be corrupting the PS board). It won't get any better. Eventually, you won't be able to power-up the TV. With some models, there are Power Supply Repair Kits sold online, such as eBay. I have repaired an old Plasma Vizio TV with such a kit years ago. That TV is still operational today (as far as I know - I don't have that TV anymore. Another member of the family has it).

If you can find someone handy in electronics, I'd suggest to have all boards replaced at the same time. (Check if your model has boards sold online).

- Pj (From the other Vizio Thread.)
Thanks so much this is exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post, thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So i found one site that has parts in stock, well most of the parts.
would it make sense to have a repair tech look at it first, isolate what is wrong and then order the board that is bad or has a bad part on it, or should I just order both a Tcon and power board?
they also have an ir board, a key board and a wifi board etc.. but I dont think they pertain to my issue.
I was going to take it to a tech for $50 to have him look at it for me, but now I am thinking maybe I should just order the two (T-Con and power supply boards) and swap them out myself, seems simple enough, any advice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well to update this thread and my post, I brought my P series (P702ui-B3) to a local tech for a free estimate on Friday afternoon around closing time, on Tuesday morning at 10:30 am he called to tell me what it is and how much it will cost to fix it.

He had it for one full day, Monday the 20th.

It was something on my power supply board, in his words he said, "I am going to rebuild the power supply board", to me this can be as simple as one transistor or capacitor, but since I cant do it myself, I will have to accept that a dollar or two in parts is going to cost me.

For his time and the parts it is $200.00 to get my tv back working.
To me that is a win.

Many people I called or talked to said not to bother getting it fixed, it isnt worth it, they said it is usually the light array which is expensive and so not worth the fix, etc..
I had decided that as long as it was under $400 I was going to fix it.
Being a $200 repair is great!!

I bought the tv for $2000.00 even at a time back in 2014 that they were $2600.00 I actually had to rent a car and drive two states away to get it and save the $600 even after a car rental and long drive I saved over $400, this week I will put $200 back into it, but I feel like with the savings I started with it is worth it to me.
replacing it with anything close to it in quality would cost me a lot more than $200

The tv will be back in my house on Friday, 1 week to the day after I dropped it off.

This whole experience has been stressful but highly educational, I am almost glad it happened as I would not have started shopping, seeing what was happening in tv tech and gotten in with a model at the right time, prices on the LG C series are 50% off from where they were just a year ago and with the new stuff coming out I feel like next month is maybe the best time to get one at the lowest price point I can, so that is my plan, to retire the Vizio to my bedroom and upgrade to a new Oled in my living room for my main rig.

Thanks for reading and for the folks who took the time to reply to me and offer me any help at all, Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: Sorry, no video to post. Wanted to get it done as quickly as possible to avoid screaming children. Purchased the new power board. Unplugged the TV and let it sit for a few minutes, and also pushed the "Power" button to discharge any capacitors. Unscrewed the four screws of the stand; unscrewed the four mounting screws (not using at present, but they screw into the chassis); unscrewed about 16 screws on the outside of the panel; unscrewed four screws near the main board. Note, the back panel doesn't just lift up. There are mounting clips (if that is what they are called, and a lot of them) holding the back panel onto the TV. I used the old "credit card trick" by sliding it between the back panel and the bezel. Lifted up and dusted the back panel. Unplugged the cables to the power board (3 I believe); unscrewed the six screws holding the power board in place; replaced with the new power board; screwed in the six screws; plugged in the cables to the power board (3, I believe); plugged in the system to verify it would work; turned on the TV and whoo hoo, it turned on; put on the back panel and all of its screws; remounted the stand; moved it to its desired position; enjoyed TV. So far, it has turned on each and every time. Remember, my problem was that it would deliver picture every other power on. It progressively got worse. So, for about $100.00, I am back up and running. Will follow up after a month or two and see if it is still functioning properly. Probably about a 45 minute job. Those mounting clips are a pain.

You know, I don't think I ever updated. The replacement worked well...UNTIL...this morning. Woke up, turned on the TV and all I get are what zones, starting in the lower left, and spreading out to the rest of the TV. First thing I thought was the starting of an episode of "The X-Files" until I realized, nope, the TV is not working. Has anyone experienced this, or have an idea how to fix? I don't want to go into purchasing a new television.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well to update this thread and my post, I brought my P series (P702ui-B3) to a local tech for a free estimate on Friday afternoon around closing time, on Tuesday morning at 10:30 am he called to tell me what it is and how much it will cost to fix it.

He had it for one full day, Monday the 20th.

It was something on my power supply board, in his words he said, "I am going to rebuild the power supply board", to me this can be as simple as one transistor or capacitor, but since I cant do it myself, I will have to accept that a dollar or two in parts is going to cost me.

For his time and the parts it is $200.00 to get my tv back working.
To me that is a win.

Many people I called or talked to said not to bother getting it fixed, it isnt worth it, they said it is usually the light array which is expensive and so not worth the fix, etc..
I had decided that as long as it was under $400 I was going to fix it.
Being a $200 repair is great!!

I bought the tv for $2000.00 even at a time back in 2014 that they were $2600.00 I actually had to rent a car and drive two states away to get it and save the $600 even after a car rental and long drive I saved over $400, this week I will put $200 back into it, but I feel like with the savings I started with it is worth it to me.
replacing it with anything close to it in quality would cost me a lot more than $200

The tv will be back in my house on Friday, 1 week to the day after I dropped it off.

This whole experience has been stressful but highly educational, I am almost glad it happened as I would not have started shopping, seeing what was happening in tv tech and gotten in with a model at the right time, prices on the LG C series are 50% off from where they were just a year ago and with the new stuff coming out I feel like next month is maybe the best time to get one at the lowest price point I can, so that is my plan, to retire the Vizio to my bedroom and upgrade to a new Oled in my living room for my main rig.

Thanks for reading and for the folks who took the time to reply to me and offer me any help at all, Thank you.

What is the status of your repair?

18021 - 18031 of 18031 Posts