AVS Forum banner

24381 - 24400 of 24456 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello all, I hope it’s okay to post here as the JS9000 owner’s thread is very inactive. Looks like I’m very late to the light bleed party as I just started to notice the problem a few weeks ago on my UNJS659000. It may have been happening longer and I just haven’t noticed it. I guess everyone being home since March and having the tv on more than usual has exasperated the issue. My tv runs very hot on the left and right sides and the light is bleeding/streaking through the bezels and getting worse. As I started to read up on this defect here and on other websites it looks like owners have had varying degrees of success dealing with Samsung from complete refunds to very low prorated offers to nothing at all. I’m not happy about the light bleed but the heat it is producing seems downright dangerous. Right now I’m trying to figure out my best course of action for some monetary relief so I can go ahead and get a new tv but before I do I’m trying to get all of my ducks in a row. I suppose my only options are to call the Samsung customer service number or leave a message on the Samsung community boards. It looks like a couple of JS8500 owners have managed to reach up higher on the support chain with better success. I have no warranty and the JS9000 was bought in May, 2015. Any advice on the best approach or course of action would be greatly appreciated!

If your TV is out of extended warranty, u are probably out of luck. Although I heard some successfully got a refund, I don’t recall many of them got any refund outside of warranty

But don’t take my words. Go ahead and contact Samsung. It won’t hurt.

I contacted them and they basically told me to contact an authorized repair shop and I had to pay for it because my TV was out of warranty. The repair cost would be as high as a new TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello all, I hope it’s okay to post here as the JS9000 owner’s thread is very inactive. Looks like I’m very late to the light bleed party as I just started to notice the problem a few weeks ago on my UNJS659000. It may have been happening longer and I just haven’t noticed it. I guess everyone being home since March and having the tv on more than usual has exasperated the issue. My tv runs very hot on the left and right sides and the light is bleeding/streaking through the bezels and getting worse. As I started to read up on this defect here and on other websites it looks like owners have had varying degrees of success dealing with Samsung from complete refunds to very low prorated offers to nothing at all. I’m not happy about the light bleed but the heat it is producing seems downright dangerous. Right now I’m trying to figure out my best course of action for some monetary relief so I can go ahead and get a new tv but before I do I’m trying to get all of my ducks in a row. I suppose my only options are to call the Samsung customer service number or leave a message on the Samsung community boards. It looks like a couple of JS8500 owners have managed to reach up higher on the support chain with better success. I have no warranty and the JS9000 was bought in May, 2015. Any advice on the best approach or course of action would be greatly appreciated!
Contact Samsung support forums on their main site. The phone way can be hit or miss.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. I did reach out on the Samsung community boards and received a fast response. I’ll let you know how it goes if anyone is in a similar situation or are curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to these forums, I purchased this tv in 15 or 16 from best buy. What is this light bleed issue? My edge lighting is messed up on mine. Thought I'd read a post that Samsung was giving refunds for these TV's even without warranty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also does anyone have optimal calibration settings for this tv. HDMI 1 uhd color off. Roku connected. Used for Hulu Netflix YouTube. I hardly ever use the TV apps.

HDMI 2 , UHD color on, Xbox one X.

If anyone has calibration settings for not just the tv but Xbox as well let me know. With game mode and also game mode off for when I watch blurays or Netflix.

·
Registered
187 Posts
New to these forums, I purchased this tv in 15 or 16 from best buy. What is this light bleed issue? My edge lighting is messed up on mine. Thought I'd read a post that Samsung was giving refunds for these TV's even without warranty.

Partial refund.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks? I've been browsing for calibration settings. I read the stuff on the first page is outdated. Some say use uhd color on, 8bit. For Xbox. But it looks like **** on mine. Just looking for updated optimal settings for Xbox on HDMI 2. And Roku HDMI 1

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Heat issue with JS-9000

@thebigkahuna1, in August 2014 I bought (Amazon seller) the 55" 8550. In April 2017, I went to get the SEK-3500 Evolution Kit to advance it to 2015 spec. (had given up expecting a SEK-3600). Saw the 65" (and only 65") JS-9000 was being cleared out at 66% discount (from MSRP or half of previous best 'street price'). Found the perfect location and use for the 55".

Also saw where 3D was gone on newer TV's and further that the 'Curve' (I previously dismissed that as an expensive gimmick) would allow mounting on my existing (near corner) wall mount which had restricted maximum flat screen size to 55". I had never expected to buy a one year newer TV, but those two unexpected facts made this purchase imperative.

Custom design of home in 1986 had given no thought of ever wall mounting a TV in this ideal spot. Had previously encountered difficulties in mounting heavy mirrors in this corner. The articulating TV bracket is permanent and the 65" looks and fits far better than the original 40" ever did, I'm done with upgrading TV's for sure.

Since I'd seen the reports about JS-9500's 'frequent' screen burnout, I (unusual for my purchases) maxed out warranty and carefully monitored temperatures. It definitely runs cooler than the HU-8550 (just slightly warm, but cooler than my 2007 Sony; which also works perfectly w/40" screen and pre-TV 3D). It's reported that the "One-Connect" box (that the non-3500 HU-8550 never had) was what you needed to keep cool. Have it sitting on a perforated aluminum component shelf.

I can certainly sympathies with your serious issue and Samsung should as well as this condition could also result in a fire risk. I believe you are doing well at this point with your communication with Samsung, Others in the past have reported how sensitive Samsung had been to BBB complaints, however this should remain as a very last resort,

Posting your problem in this thread is a very good idea, since the frequency of these issues as well as Samsung's (and Square Trade's) responses for this issue are more frequent here. For benefit of JS-9000 owner's who may never notice this thread, you might place a short descriptive post over on: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1922161-official-2015-samsung-4k-suhd-js9000-series-curved-smart-tv-thread-post59494104.html#post59494104 with a link back to your first post here. Since you're achieving good results, you should post a link here into that Samsung user site as well.

I do wish the best result possible for your dilemma. If you look at the previous page in this thread, you will see an example of Sony's 'stepping-up' for an intermittent heat issue more than eight years after manufacture date.

I've been fortunate to never experience this with a TV, but encountered a 'swollen battery' issue with my iPhone-5 that was well past any warranty protection. Turned out the issue was a limited number of early (3 month's) 5's that didn't warrant a recall, but upon entering your s/n, would see there was a limited mitigation program, They Gave me an entire new (5 model) iPhone when I expected just a battery replacement in a nearly five year old phone. :cool:
Art

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great post pilotart. Just to update anyone That might be following, a Samsung rep. was quick to reply to me last Thursday but since then I have heard nothing. I did send a new inquiry this morning and hope to hear back from them soon regarding my case. I will post a follow up when I receive word from them. I certainly will not rule out a BBB complaint but I will leave that as a last resort.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great post pilotart. Just to update anyone That might be following, a Samsung rep. was quick to reply to me last Thursday but since then I have heard nothing. I did send a new inquiry this morning and hope to hear back from them soon regarding my case. I will post a follow up when I receive word from them. I certainly will not rule out a BBB complaint but I will leave that as a last resort.
Yeah, I remember getting bounced around different reps via DM all asking the same thing (name, address, photos, etc). Just gotta keep following up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I guess I should have seen this coming. Samsung community support moderators are completely ignoring my messages and won’t respond. What now?

Reactions: wraithrsw

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hope that a member with actual experience can reply:
Samsung community support moderators
Would expect moderators are not Samsung employees and may even be volunteers.
As wraithrsw posted above about 'bounced around' expect he wasn't "DM' with moderators.

I recall using 'contact' from same page as warranty registration and getting a quick eMail reply (this was 2014).

I much prefer using a 'chat' over a phone call (creates a written record) and like having an MS Document editor (or similar) open to let me better compose my end and you should have ability to instantly upload photos.

As I recall recent reports here; repair is no longer an option and Samsung was offering buyback or cash settlement. One member reported issue dragging past a date when the settlement was reduced by one model year, this was where BBB was invoked and helped. :cool:
Art

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess I should have seen this coming. Samsung community support moderators are completely ignoring my messages and won’t respond. What now?
I'd give it a week then public posting of your issue on the forum till something moves. I tried the phone route after I didn't hear back from DM's. All the reps on the phone told me there was nothing they could do even when I mentioned people here received restitution. (Hell, my friend did the phone, chat, and email try WHILE he was still in warranty and got nothing) They say they record everything but that's to their benefit. You don't get the recording until legal gets involved. You could try chat.

Hope that a member with actual experience can reply:
Would expect moderators are not Samsung employees and may even be volunteers.
As wraithrsw posted above about 'bounced around' expect he wasn't "DM' with moderators.

I recall using 'contact' from same page as warranty registration and getting a quick eMail reply (this was 2014).

I much prefer using a 'chat' over a phone call (creates a written record) and like having an MS Document editor (or similar) open to let me better compose my end and you should have ability to instantly upload photos.

As I recall recent reports here; repair is no longer an option and Samsung was offering buyback or cash settlement. One member reported issue dragging past a date when the settlement was reduced by one model year, this was where BBB was invoked and helped. :cool:
Art
Seemed like they represented themselves as employees. Certainly got the paperwork done for me.

Yeah, they basically said repair is not an option because they don't have any more parts (a shame because I actually liked 4K pseudo HDR and 3D). Skeptical of claims that people got their full or close to full money back, especially out of warranty. I was told the pro-rated settlement was take it or leave it.

I would also be that member who had to get BBB involved because they dragged it past the date sadly. To thebigkahuna1, my recommendation is keep a record (saved pages as pdf). This ignoring could be their attempt to drag out the process because one may be close to an extra year of ownership. Your complaint officially starts when you make the official complaint in writing as BBB explained to me. Samsung doesn't want bad public PR. So I'd recommend, if you don't hear back from mods in a timely matter (I tend to be generous and gave them some time like 1.5-2weeks), is to make a public post on the support forum (or a second post/bump if you already have one) and keep making it public.

Reactions: pilotart

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank you both for the great advice. I will follow it and keep everyone here informed in case they have or will have a similar problem.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I’ve had my TV for more than 5 yrs I never noticed this in my regular viewing is this vertical banding? See the purple bar on 40% text? It looks a lot worse on camera but in normal viewing it’s not as bad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’ve had my TV for more than 5 yrs I never noticed this in my regular viewing is this vertical banding? See the purple bar on 40% text? It looks a lot worse on camera but in normal viewing it’s not as bad.
View attachment 3026691
That's weird though it could just be normal since it is edge lit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, been a few years since getting a js8500 and have had the dreaded light bleed for many months now. What would you guys suggest is a fair replacement for it under 5 year warranty?
many thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi all, been a few years since getting a js8500 and have had the dreaded light bleed for many months now. What would you guys suggest is a fair replacement for it under 5 year warranty?
many thanks.
No matter what they say, you deserve no less than a Samsung 8 series or equivalent in dollar amount.

·
Registered
235 Posts
And the qled Samsung 8 series not the BS 8 series. The Js8500 was #3 flagship behind the js9000 and js9500. I got my js8500 when my es8000 developed really bad light bleed. They originally offered me a bs Sony. It took about a week of going back and forth. I was dealing with square trade.

24381 - 24400 of 24456 Posts