AVS Forum banner

24421 - 24440 of 24460 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
And when I do that it will sent bluetooth audio to my headphones even if I have the TV connected through my receiver via HDMI and the receiver turned on, correct?
The AVR would have to be set to send audio to the TV. Default should be to only send video and use the AVR for audio, but it should be selectable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The AVR would have to be set to send audio to the TV. Default should be to only send video and use the AVR for audio, but it should be selectable.
The AVR sends audio to the TV. I know this because I can turn up the volume and get audio through the TV speakers when the AVR is turned on.
I just want to make sure the TV doesn't treat the bluetooth audio the same way it treats the audio jack and not allow audio out if the AVR is on.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The AVR sends audio to the TV. I know this because I can turn up the volume and get audio through the TV speakers when the AVR is turned on.
I just want to make sure the TV doesn't treat the bluetooth audio the same way it treats the audio jack and not allow audio out if the AVR is on.
Why would it not allow audio out of the audio jack when the AVR is on? Something to do with down-converting surround to stereo maybe?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why would it not allow audio out of the audio jack when the AVR is on? Something to do with down-converting surround to stereo maybe?
I have no clue. But I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work. I called Samsung support but they just said my headphones weren't compatible with the TV. I couldn't find anything in the manual saying that the stereo audio output jack was disabled when connected through HDMI to a AVR.

Like I said, I just want to make sure that I don't have the same problem with bluetooth headphones. It seems like they should work. But it also seems like the audio jack shouldn't care whether or not an AVR is connected.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
I have no clue. But I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work. I called Samsung support but they just said my headphones weren't compatible with the TV. I couldn't find anything in the manual saying that the stereo audio output jack was disabled when connected through HDMI to a AVR.

Like I said, I just want to make sure that I don't have the same problem with bluetooth headphones. It seems like they should work. But it also seems like the audio jack shouldn't care whether or not an AVR is connected.
Hi RKCRLR, is TV AnyNet+ and ARC being enabled? This may cause a digital output only and disable the Audio Out jack (analog). Try turning off AnyNet+ and set Sound Output as Audio Out/Optical instead of Receiver (HDMI).

·
Registered
48 Posts
AnyNet+ is disabled on the TV. I can't find a separate ARC setting for the TV. HDMI CEC is turned is also off on my receiver. I only have an ARC option for the receiver if HDMI CEC is enabled.
Setting sound output as Audio Out/Optical has no effect on getting audio sent to the headphones. If the receiver is off with passthrough enabled then I get audio sent to the headphones no matter what option I choose under Speaker List. If the receiver is on then I get no audio sent to the headphones no matter what option I choose under Speaker List.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Setting sound output as Audio Out/Optical has no effect on getting audio sent to the headphones. If the receiver is off with passthrough enabled then I get audio sent to the headphones no matter what option I choose under Speaker List. If the receiver is on then I get no audio sent to the headphones no matter what option I choose under Speaker List.
Hi RKCRLR, how about setting Digital Output Audio Format to PCM (or set both HDMI Input and Digital Output Audio Format to PCM) and set the Sound Output as TV Speakers. Then unplugged headphone and plugged it back in.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
And when I do that it will sent bluetooth audio to my headphones even if I have the TV connected through my receiver via HDMI and the receiver turned on, correct?
I think it will work if as you say the TV speakers work when the AVR is on. The reason I say this is that bluetooth headphones are chosen through the Menu >> Sound >> Speaker List and are an alternative output to the built in speakers. The headphone jack is not a set of speakers you can choose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi RKCRLR, how about setting Digital Output Audio Format to PCM (or set both HDMI Input and Digital Output Audio Format to PCM) and set the Sound Output as TV Speakers. Then unplugged headphone and plugged it back in.
I already have the Digital Output Audio Format set to PCM.
I Set HDMI to PCM and sound output as speakers, still no audio from headphones.
Unplugging and plugging the headphones back in had no effect.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts

Did you try it with the internal tuner in the TV? Although it's not really useful in a normal setup, it's an interesting test.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you try it with the internal tuner in the TV? Although it's not really useful in a normal setup, it's an interesting test.
I get audio to the headphones when using the TV's internal tuner. It doesn't matter whether or not the AVR is on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like some sort of sound format issue to me. Either that, or it's just a glitch with the TV.
Could be, but it's strange the format is OK if the AVR is off but passthrough is enabled but not OK if it is on.
It's also strange that the format is OK for the TV's built in stereo speakers but not OK for the headphone jack.

Again, my concern is if I buy some bluetooth headphones will they have the same problems. It doesn't seem so but it would be a hassle to return them if they don't work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could be, but it's strange the format is OK if the AVR is off but passthrough is enabled but not OK if it is on.
It's also strange that the format is OK for the TV's built in stereo speakers but not OK for the headphone jack.

Again, my concern is if I buy some bluetooth headphones will they have the same problems. It doesn't seem so but it would be a hassle to return them if they don't work.
OK, this isn't a problem with the TV. It was my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR646). There is an obscure setting under the HDMI settings called TV Audio Out. I call it obscure because the first page of HDMI settings is mostly blank with no indications of more settings. But if you use the arrow down button more settings come up.

I had found this menu a few years ago but forgot about it. I had tried turning it on but when I did it only allowed sound to come from the TV speakers and not the AVR speakers so it wasn't a solution for me (unless I wanted to go into the settings every time I wanted to use the headphones). BUT, I discovered if I use the remote volume button it activates the AVR speakers also. And this seems to stick even after turning the AVR off and on.

So I'm assuming the AVR wasn't sending stereo audio to the TV but the TV was decoding the sound for the speakers but not sending it to the audio jack.

Edit: Well, that didn't work. Enabling TV Audio Out causes multichannel PCM to only be accepted only as 2 channel PCM thus forcing up-mixed surround. My receiver has two HDMI outputs. I tried to outsmart the receiver and only enable TV Audio Out on the second HDMI output. But that still caused the Main HDMI to reject multichannel PCM input.

Reactions: BiggAW

·
Registered
946 Posts
Has anyone moved on from JS8500 to either Sony X900H or OLED? I’m tempted to get a new set for PS5 but every time I watched 4K HDR content I still think it looks fine. Not sure people have compared side by side of JS8500 with newer set. Will I be blown away by newer TV or just small increments of upgrade like brighter HDR that’s about it?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Has anyone moved on from JS8500 to either Sony X900H or OLED? I’m tempted to get a new set for PS5 but every time I watched 4K HDR content I still think it looks fine. Not sure people have compared side by side of JS8500 with newer set. Will I be blown away by newer TV or just small increments of upgrade like brighter HDR that’s about it?
I haven’t yet but been thinking about it. Saw the sale on the Sony A8H Oled and got me thinking about it even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I'm drooling over the Vizio P75 Quantum X, but I'm not sure that I really want to drop 2 grand on a TV when most of what I watch is streaming and even movies look great on my JS850D.

24421 - 24440 of 24460 Posts