AVS Forum banner

24441 - 24460 of 24460 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know of a replacement remote that will work over Bluetooth like the original remote? The original one is a poor design that goes bad over time. I’m on my second one and I’m not buying another one again. So I’m looking for a replacement, but I’d like to keep the Bluetooth functionality. The mouse pointer feature would be nice too, but that might be too much to ask. Do Harmony remotes use Bluetooth to communicate with the TV?

Unrelated: I can’t seem to get 4K streams from the Amazon app anymore. Only HD. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Does anyone know of a replacement remote that will work over Bluetooth like the original remote? The original one is a poor design that goes bad over time. I’m on my second one and I’m not buying another one again. So I’m looking for a replacement, but I’d like to keep the Bluetooth functionality. The mouse pointer feature would be nice too, but that might be too much to ask. Do Harmony remotes use Bluetooth to communicate with the TV?

Unrelated: I can’t seem to get 4K streams from the Amazon app anymore. Only HD. Anyone else?
I actually have this question too about a replacement remote. The original remote definitely is terrible.

As far as the Amazon app, at this point you’re better off just picking up a cheap Roku or Fire stick for streaming apps instead of using the built-in apps.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts

I'd probably say a universal remote, or if you can get a TiVo remote or another remote to control the power, that's really all that needs controlling. What goes bad on the remote? Literally all it needs to do if your setup with working properly is to turn the power on and off, and occasionally get into the settings. I have HDMI issues, so I have to switch inputs occasionally, and yeah, that remote is horrible. I'm hoping to fix my setup's HDMI issues so that I can go back to minimizing my interaction with my JD850D to power on and power off.

Amazon is really weird, at least at one point a lot of their shows had separate 4k and 1080p versions listed. What device are you using to stream it? I have Roku right now, but I'm moving over to CCGTV as soon as I get it due to the wonky HDMI issues between my Roku and AVR that require my to have the Roku feed HDMI directly to the TV, which is what causes me to have to switch inputs on the TV.

·
Registered
56 Posts
samsung remote bn59-01185f
I can’t find many details about this remote. Is it Bluetooth? Does it do the pointer thing? I assume you can confirm that it works with the JS8500?
I'd probably say a universal remote, or if you can get a TiVo remote or another remote to control the power, that's really all that needs controlling. What goes bad on the remote? Literally all it needs to do if your setup with working properly is to turn the power on and off, and occasionally get into the settings. I have HDMI issues, so I have to switch inputs occasionally, and yeah, that remote is horrible. I'm hoping to fix my setup's HDMI issues so that I can go back to minimizing my interaction with my JD850D to power on and power off.

Amazon is really weird, at least at one point a lot of their shows had separate 4k and 1080p versions listed. What device are you using to stream it? I have Roku right now, but I'm moving over to CCGTV as soon as I get it due to the wonky HDMI issues between my Roku and AVR that require my to have the Roku feed HDMI directly to the TV, which is what causes me to have to switch inputs on the TV.
I don’t want an IR remote though. I’m not opposed to a universal remote, if it can be Bluetooth. That’s why I was wondering if the Harmony remotes paired with the TV over Bluetooth. Does anyone know? What goes bad on those remote are buttons on the side, like the left arrow. Highly annoying If using built-in apps and trying to browse.

Yeah I know Amazon used to have separate versions for 1080p and 4K. But I can’t find the 4K versions anymore. I can find the category, but it won’t play anything at 4K no matter what. I’d be curious if any of you could check. I know it worked in the past. My apps are updated and I’m running firmware 1560.

And yeah, I know I can use other streaming sticks or devices to get 4K back on Amazon. But I’m a little curious (and not very happy) that it no longer works with the built-in app.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I don’t want an IR remote though. I’m not opposed to a universal remote, if it can be Bluetooth. That’s why I was wondering if the Harmony remotes paired with the TV over Bluetooth. Does anyone know? What goes bad on those remote are buttons on the side, like the left arrow. Highly annoying If using built-in apps and trying to browse.
Attempting to go into the built-in apps is the problem there LOL. Not sure why anyone would put themselves through torture for nothing. I used the Comcast app way back when they had that UHD demo for Rio, but AFAIK, there's nothing useful in there anymore. Haven't been in those apps in years.

I don't think BT will work. Most devices use IR. Some have the RF connection to the hub that uses IR. It's possible something could control it via IP, but I've never heard of BT being used. IR is fine for the TV, since you just need an on/off command, or maybe an occasional navigation through the menu to adjust the picture, but I'm not sure how you'd use IR for the TV and RF for another device unless you had something like the Comcast or TiVo remote where it's got TV on/off.

And yeah, I know I can use other streaming sticks or devices to get 4K back on Amazon. But I’m a little curious (and not very happy) that it no longer works with the built-in app.
I wouldn't waste my time testing the built-in apps that are useless anyway. 4K works great on my Roku (directly to the TV) and my CC Ultra through my AVR. Hopefully it will work well through my Denon X3400h with CCGTV. Not sure what you're unhappy about, the built-in apps were garbage in 2015 and now it's 2020. Built-in apps pre Roku or Google TV are known to be garbage on most TVs so it's not like it's a unique issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Attempting to go into the built-in apps is the problem there LOL. Not sure why anyone would put themselves through torture for nothing. I used the Comcast app way back when they had that UHD demo for Rio, but AFAIK, there's nothing useful in there anymore. Haven't been in those apps in years.

I don't think BT will work. Most devices use IR. Some have the RF connection to the hub that uses IR. It's possible something could control it via IP, but I've never heard of BT being used. IR is fine for the TV, since you just need an on/off command, or maybe an occasional navigation through the menu to adjust the picture, but I'm not sure how you'd use IR for the TV and RF for another device unless you had something like the Comcast or TiVo remote where it's got TV on/off.

I wouldn't waste my time testing the built-in apps that are useless anyway. 4K works great on my Roku (directly to the TV) and my CC Ultra through my AVR. Hopefully it will work well through my Denon X3400h with CCGTV. Not sure what you're unhappy about, the built-in apps were garbage in 2015 and now it's 2020. Built-in apps pre Roku or Google TV are known to be garbage on most TVs so it's not like it's a unique issue.
Well I disagree that the apps were garbage in 2015, since they were more or less the only source of 4K content. I’m fully aware that this is no longer the case.

As to why I want to avoid IR, it’s because I have a sound bar in the way of the sensor.

There’s an app that can control it via IP called Remotie but it has in-app purchases to unlock all functions. I might try it.

And @poppagene’s suggestion.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Well I disagree that the apps were garbage in 2015, since they were more or less the only source of 4K content. I’m fully aware that this is no longer the case.
Was there any 4k content back then? Roku Ultra came out in the fall of 2016. IIRC, 4k was only disc-based at that point. I can't actually remember what I was using to stream in mid-2016 when I got the TV. Maybe a 1080p Roku. I don't think there was much of any 4k streaming content at that point, I remember watching a lot of non-4k content and a few 4k UHD-BDs. Regardless, the built-in apps are long since obsolete.

As to why I want to avoid IR, it’s because I have a sound bar in the way of the sensor.
I'd look at something that can do IP, either an app, or the Logitech remotes I believe can do IP from their base station.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Was there any 4k content back then? Roku Ultra came out in the fall of 2016. IIRC, 4k was only disc-based at that point. I can't actually remember what I was using to stream in mid-2016 when I got the TV. Maybe a 1080p Roku. I don't think there was much of any 4k streaming content at that point, I remember watching a lot of non-4k content and a few 4k UHD-BDs. Regardless, the built-in apps are long since obsolete.

I'd look at something that can do IP, either an app, or the Logitech remotes I believe can do IP from their base station.
Yeah, Amazon and Netflix both started 4k streaming at the end of 2014. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yeah, Amazon and Netflix both started 4k streaming at the end of 2014. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
Netflix 4K HDR streaming is still working fine on the JS8500 as long as you have the right subscription level. Amazon Prime 4K and HDR no longer working, but did used to work. Also it stopped working on the UBD-K8500 and on my Tivo. Works fine on the Amazon 4K Fire TV device.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Netflix 4K HDR streaming is still working fine on the JS8500 as long as you have the right subscription level. Amazon Prime 4K and HDR no longer working, but did used to work. Also it stopped working on the UBD-K8500 and on my Tivo. Works fine on the Amazon 4K Fire TV device.
Thanks for confirming. It’s not just me then. Wonder why...

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Thanks for confirming. It’s not just me then. Wonder why...
All of the streaming platforms drop support for old/obsolete devices. Pre-Google or Roku TVs are hard to support, as they have a gazillion apps that virtually no one uses because they are horrible. TiVo's streaming ecosystem never really worked to begin with, and has since fallen apart. As a TiVo enthusiast, I see the posts occasionally bemoaning this or that streaming service that's no longer working, or has an outdated and unsupported app, but the reality is that TiVo was a lousy streaming device to begin with. TiVo users really like Apple TV, but some use Fire TV, Roku, or Google TV to do their streaming. The UBD-K8500 is also old, and was a lousy streaming device to begin with. I'm sure Netflix has metrics on what devices to support at what level, and when they see a tiny amount of use of a device, it goes down on the priority list. There may also be some codec issue with updates to HEVC, but I'm purely speculating on that aspect of it.

I have my TiVo, CC Ultra, and Roku Ultra, and I use TiVo as my DVR, Roku for streaming, a CC Ultra occasionally. Hopefully I can fix my HDMI issues when I combine the Roku Ultra and CC Ultra into the CCGTV for streaming. I'll re-purpose the Roku Ultra onto another TV somewhere for streaming where I don't have the HDMI issues with it misbehaving when connected to the AVR. I love my TiVo as a DVR, but it's just that... a DVR. I've had the streaming apps disabled for a long time, so it records OTA and that's it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
All of the streaming platforms drop support for old/obsolete devices. Pre-Google or Roku TVs are hard to support, as they have a gazillion apps that virtually no one uses because they are horrible. TiVo's streaming ecosystem never really worked to begin with, and has since fallen apart. As a TiVo enthusiast, I see the posts occasionally bemoaning this or that streaming service that's no longer working, or has an outdated and unsupported app, but the reality is that TiVo was a lousy streaming device to begin with. TiVo users really like Apple TV, but some use Fire TV, Roku, or Google TV to do their streaming. The UBD-K8500 is also old, and was a lousy streaming device to begin with. I'm sure Netflix has metrics on what devices to support at what level, and when they see a tiny amount of use of a device, it goes down on the priority list. There may also be some codec issue with updates to HEVC, but I'm purely speculating on that aspect of it.

I have my TiVo, CC Ultra, and Roku Ultra, and I use TiVo as my DVR, Roku for streaming, a CC Ultra occasionally. Hopefully I can fix my HDMI issues when I combine the Roku Ultra and CC Ultra into the CCGTV for streaming. I'll re-purpose the Roku Ultra onto another TV somewhere for streaming where I don't have the HDMI issues with it misbehaving when connected to the AVR. I love my TiVo as a DVR, but it's just that... a DVR. I've had the streaming apps disabled for a long time, so it records OTA and that's it.
II hear you, but Netflix UHD HDR seems to work fine on all the old devices.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a question about the TV's HDMI ARC capability. Does it support Dolby Digital Plus?
I know the TV supports DD+ since I can watch Netflix and my receiver decodes it to 5.1 channels.
But when I connected my Shield TV to the one-connect box and enabled ARC I couldn't get Netflix DD+ to work. I get DD+ from the Shield when it is connected directly to the receiver. I could get normal DD 5.1 on ARC.
I suspect it is because the TV's ARC doesn't support DD+ but I'd like to know for sure. I might put some more effort into it if it does.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I suspect it is because the TV's ARC doesn't support DD+ but I'd like to know for sure. I might put some more effort into it if it does.
It doesn't support DD+. (DD+ = 2x bitrate DD 5.1 & can be up to 7.1 if encoded that way) It's only DD 5.1 with the lower bitrate on the TV. Just another reason, I have not use the TV streaming apps for years. Better sound from other streaming platforms. Get a 4K Fire stick & be done with it. It does DD+ & Atmos. Just make sure to select 10bit color depth in the settings of the fire stick. I watched some 4K 60fps HDR YouTube videos of the auto HDR feature Xbox Series X is doing on older titles thru it yesterday. :love: (Internal YouTube app is 4K, but only 30fps, & no HDR support)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Has anyone moved on from JS8500 to either Sony X900H or OLED? I’m tempted to get a new set for PS5 but every time I watched 4K HDR content I still think it looks fine. Not sure people have compared side by side of JS8500 with newer set. Will I be blown away by newer TV or just small increments of upgrade like brighter HDR that’s about it?
I’ve been wondering if it’s time for me to upgrade as well. I don’t have an issue with how my Dish Hopper and Roku Ultra look for HD programming. But everything I watch in 4K HDR looks really dark. I’ve tried a few Amazon Prime shows, and last night I tried watching the World Series on the Fox Sports app on the Roku in 4K HDR. The picture is probably more detailed but it’s just really dark looking. I know this can’t be how it’s suppose to look because everyone seems to clamor for HDR. So I’m thinking my tv just does a poor job of showing it. What are you guys experiencing for HDR programming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I’ve been wondering if it’s time for me to upgrade as well. I don’t have an issue with how my Dish Hopper and Roku Ultra look for HD programming. But everything I watch in 4K HDR looks really dark. I’ve tried a few Amazon Prime shows, and last night I tried watching the World Series on the Fox Sports app on the Roku in 4K HDR. The picture is probably more detailed but it’s just really dark looking. I know this can’t be how it’s suppose to look because everyone seems to clamor for HDR. So I’m thinking my tv just does a poor job of showing it. What are you guys experiencing for HDR programming?
I got the same thing for the Superbowl, but other content looks great in HDR, so I tend to think it's the content, but maybe the TV has something to do with it.

24441 - 24460 of 24460 Posts