AVS Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 24395 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Audio Delay still a mystery

Earlier today I reset my sound options to factory default settings via the Sound Menu to see if that would get rid of the stubbornly annoying 100ms Audio Delay default setting I'm experiencing. The TV rebooted, sound was then coming out of the built-in speakers instead of my receiver (bypassing the Digital Audio Out connection on my One Connect Mini), but no dice -- default delay setting came back to 100ms and remained there, as usual, after manually adjusting the delay slider and power cycling the set. But I also discovered another way to reproduce this glitch: if I change the TV's delay setting to something other than 100 and then access the built-in Web browser to watch a video, Audio Delay reverts to 100ms again upon returning to a live cable broadcast. I'll be doing the Snoopy dance if firmware 1221.7 fixes this oddball problem, but right now I don't have a lot of confidence that it will.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anybody know if/when the JS8500 will have support for Screen mirroring/miracast with a Surface Pro 3/Windows?

I tried the screen mirror function with my Surface Pro 3. It finds the TV, asks for the code, then I get a disconnect.

Then, I purchased the Microsoft wireless Miracast adapter to try, wouldn't work, SF3 doesn't find the device. Could be a surface issue. But still, cluster.

Says the device isn't MS certified or something in Windows after making the connection/info in the properties.

If anybody has a Surface Pro 3 working with another wirless/HDMI device for screen mirroring, that would be nice to hear as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anybody know if/when the JS8500 will have support for Screen mirroring/miracast with a Surface Pro 3/Windows?

I tried the screen mirror function with my Surface Pro 3. It finds the TV, asks for the code, then I get a disconnect.

Then, I purchased the Microsoft wireless Miracast adapter to try, wouldn't work, SF3 doesn't find the device. Could be a surface issue. But still, cluster.

Says the device isn't MS certified or something in Windows after making the connection/info in the properties.

If anybody has a Surface Pro 3 working with another wirless/HDMI device for screen mirroring, that would be nice to hear as well.

Thanks
I have the MS adapter and have had no issue connecting to the TV with my SP3. You need to go into the display settings on your tablet and add the TV.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the MS adapter and have had no issue connecting to the TV with my SP3. You need to go into the display settings on your tablet and add the TV.
Yeah, so did some research, turns out it could be a VPN client issue. I use VPN for work. So started uninstalling software, finally got to my Citrix VPN Access Gateway client I use for work. Uninstalled it..rebooted.

Found the wireless adapter no problems then. There you go...

Thanks, went and added the wireless device, that option wouldn't show in the Devices Project with the VPN client installed. Once removed, added/found the device, connected, able to watch movie/audio etc..on JS8500.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do I stream from my PC using Smart Hub? Which app do I want to use?

I am now trying to use My Content, but it is not detecting any files on the selected computer.
I am assuming that your PC is in the network that the TV is in. I go to source and at the top of the screen the name of the PC should appear. Make sure you have the PC set up to share media with the TV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just ordered the JS8500 and also purchased a Samsung HW-H7501 soundbar to go with it that I found on clearance. I will also be connecting an HD receiver/DVR, a PS3, and a PS4 to the television (all with HDMI cables; the PS4 will serve as my Blu-Ray player). How should I connect the devices to ensure the best picture and sound quality? Will I need to get an optical cable, or will the HDMI cables be sufficient? I've never done this before, so I don't know what I should connect to the TV and what I should connect to the soundbar. Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have found of the 4 calibrations posted here, the latest ( CNET), seems to give me the best picture. It offers just the right amount of color pop that makes this TV so beautiful.

My one dilemma is that I find the best picture with cable (comcast) to be when the cable box is set at 720HD. Even though I want to use 1080i because everything tells me it " should" be a better picture, my eyes tell me differently. The Comcast Box (X1) does not seem to offer a "native" resolution setting.
Do you have a link to the CNET settings? I'm using Prme19 thus far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is my simple calibration after using the Disney WOW Blu Ray I'm super happy with it. Crisp vibrant colors, blacks levels could be better. I did a calibration with an EC9300 OLED and the only thing it is good for is black levels nothing else comes close to the JS8500 at least to me. Here are my calibrations below.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 47
Sharpness 0
Color 55
Tint G51 R49

Advance Settings
Dynamic Contrast High
Black Tone Darker
Color Space Native

Picture Options
Color tone Standard
Digital Clean low
MPEG Noise Filter Medium
HDMI Black Level Auto
Auto Motion Plus Clear
Smart LED High
Cinema Black On

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have found of the 4 calibrations posted here, the latest ( CNET), seems to give me the best picture. It offers just the right amount of color pop that makes this TV so beautiful.

My one dilemma is that I find the best picture with cable (comcast) to be when the cable box is set at 720HD. Even though I want to use 1080i because everything tells me it " should" be a better picture, my eyes tell me differently. The Comcast Box (X1) does not seem to offer a "native" resolution setting.
Do you have a link to the CNET settings? I'm using Prme19 thus far.
http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/samsung-un65js8500-picture-settings/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is my simple calibration after using the Disney WOW Blu Ray I'm super happy with it. Crisp vibrant colors, blacks levels could be better. I did a calibration with an EC9300 OLED and the only thing it is good for is black levels nothing else comes close to the JS8500 at least to me. Here are my calibrations below.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 47
Sharpness 0
Color 55
Tint G51 R49

Advance Settings
Dynamic Contrast High
Black Tone Darker
Color Space Native

Picture Options
Color tone Standard
Digital Clean low
MPEG Noise Filter Medium
HDMI Black Level Auto
Auto Motion Plus Clear
Smart LED High
Cinema Black On
Everyone has different tastes but for the best picture I'd suggest you start with the Rtings.com settings and then run your WOW blu ray calibration, tweaking only slightly to get the best picture for your individual panel.
I personally find backlight higher than 8 is just too much. I also personally prefer the movie mode. That setting on its own gets the tv close to the nice 6500k warmth that most people love.
Smart LED i have completely turned off because it causes intense flashlighting during scenes that drives me nuts.
Next time you're watching a scene pay attention to how the brightness fluctuates suddenly. It can get to be quite annoying.

I hate soap opera effect so I leave auto motion off but im not terribly bothered by the lowest settings.

Snap a photo of an image with your current settings, then try out the Rtings settings and take another. Figure out which one looks better to you and go with it.

Enjoy the set!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just barely missed out on the Samsung Promotion for either Netflix or the Galaxy S6. I have 45 days to return to best Buy (Elite Plus Member privilege.) Has anyone had any success in just going to the store and having them do a return then re-sell to get the promotion without having to bring in the television itself? I know I know, seems kinda shady, but damn, a galaxy s6 for free.

If not, I'm seriously considering returning the thing completely in order to capitalize on the offer. That's just a tremendous offer that I don't want to pass up.
I don't know the answer but I'm in the same boat except bought through Amazon on July 15. I'm thinking about calling Amazon to have a conversation about whether I can do a return/re-sell too. Doubt it can happen, but worth a shot I think.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had DirecTV out to setup the RVU in my 850D. It works great - my DVR'd content looks the same and the 4k demo reels are super purty. I only have one gripe.. the text/menu's aren't as crisp as they were when I had my Genie hooked up via HDMI. I first noticed it when I was trying to setup the RVU stuff without DirecTV being involved. It was super noticeable as I switched back and forth between the Genie and the RVU client.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing? It's not awful as I don't spend a ton of time in the menu's but I see it becoming one of those little things that bothers me for a long while :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just had DirecTV out to setup the RVU in my 850D. It works great - my DVR'd content looks the same and the 4k demo reels are super purty. I only have one gripe.. the text/menu's aren't as crisp as they were when I had my Genie hooked up via HDMI. I first noticed it when I was trying to setup the RVU stuff without DirecTV being involved. It was super noticeable as I switched back and forth between the Genie and the RVU client.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing? It's not awful as I don't spend a ton of time in the menu's but I see it becoming one of those little things that bothers me for a long while :)
Yeah Direct TV has some cool things coming out in the next few months. Like the new Genie HR54 which will be the first receiver that can receive live 4K television plus a new Deca moving from 50 mbps to 500 mbps. So will be interesting to see some of the new things they have coming down the pipe. Good to see that the RVU is working though on the JS8500.. :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I submitted my offer to Samsung for the one year free of 4K Netflix just over a week ago. And I got this email from them (see next paragraph). Now I guess I may have to wait ANOTHER week or so before they let me know if they are really giving me the offer. Mother Moses !!! I feel like I am have applied for a home mortgage.

Congratulations!
Your receipt was received and has been accepted, subject to verification of your eligibility and compliance with the Offer Terms and Conditions. We still need to check all your submission’s data to ensure compliance with the Offer Terms and Conditions before your submission is approved. Please allow approximately 2 weeks to receive an update email letting you know your final status.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I submitted my offer to Samsung for the one year free of 4K Netflix just over a week ago. And I got this email from them (see next paragraph). Now I guess I may have to wait ANOTHER week or so before they let me know if they are really giving me the offer. Mother Moses !!! I feel like I am have applied for a home mortgage.

Congratulations!
Your receipt was received and has been accepted, subject to verification of your eligibility and compliance with the Offer Terms and Conditions. We still need to check all your submission’s data to ensure compliance with the Offer Terms and Conditions before your submission is approved. Please allow approximately 2 weeks to receive an update email letting you know your final status.
Yea, I just got the same email in regards to the free Galaxy S6 they're sending me. Hopefully the resell value on the phone doesn't drop too much in the weeks to come.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I don't know the answer but I'm in the same boat except bought through Amazon on July 15. I'm thinking about calling Amazon to have a conversation about whether I can do a return/re-sell too. Doubt it can happen, but worth a shot I think.
I bought mine on the 18th, Conns told me I was SOL.

HTC One (M9)

3301 - 3320 of 24395 Posts