AVS Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 24414 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Panasonic 3D Glasses !?!?

I just got a pair of the Panasonic Viera 3D glasses (TY-ER3D4MU). I cannot sync them with my Samsung UN65JS8500/850D TV. Is there some sort of trick to it. My friend has a pair of these and using them with his NON-4K Samsung LCD 3D TV. I wonder if they are compatible with my Samsung SUHD TV. Any input here would be appreciated. I wish Samsung had a site where they list all compatible 3D glass for the JS8500.

Also, where on the TV is the transmitter for the 3D glasses???

UPDATE: I got them working. I also got a pair today of the 3 Active 3D glasses and they included a note to be sure to hold the 3D glasses about a foot from the TV transmitter (lower right corner of the TV) until the sync occurred. It worked for the 3 Active ones and also now the Panasonic ones. I just wish this companies would ALL include those notes on how to sync instead of being very vague.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I connected Bluetooth headphones and that worked fine expect it cut the sound from the TV. I saw it settings "Multi-Output Audio". Samsung said is you select this "TV sound will be played simultaneously through the TV's internal speakers and connected Bluetooth headphones". Perfect solution except this option is grayed out and when you try to select it, Samsung says this option not available.

Any idea on why it is not available?? The Bluetooth headphones are made by Samsung.
Mine worked but I wasn't using Samsung headphones just some cheap workout headset. I was able to hear from both TV speakers and BT headset, it wasn't greyed out on mine.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi Folks: I finally pulled the trigger and bought the 65JS8500, I think I got a good deal from one of the big sellers online. I also bought an Onkyo TX NR 737 receiver and connected it. When I watch cable, I get the sound from my center, sub woofer and in wall speakers, but when I switch to the Smart Apps and watch anything on say Netflix or Amazon there is no sound from the speakers. It has been 10 years since I updated my TV and Receiver so am completely out of touch with the technology, hence I am lost as to how to get the sound routed to the speakers while watching Smart Apps directly from the TV? Should I be upgrading to better HDMI (non-monster
and 1.2a
??) cables? Does the TV automatically upgrade to 4K when I view any 4K content on youtube? Sorry completely noobish questions, I know, but would really appreciate your time and help in making me understand these stuff. Thank you!
The easiest method would be to connect an optical cable from the one connect mini box to the receiver. The more complex method would be to have your hdmi output on your receiver plugged into hdmi input 4 on the one connect mini. Then you have to read your instruction Manuel on your onkyo receiver and figure out how to turn ARC (audio return channel) to on in the onkyo options. Then you turn ARC on the TV so that all apps and USBs connected to the TV play audio on your receiver. But like I said ARC isn't always 100% so it's just easier in your case to take an optical cable from the OCB mini and plug it into the optical cable in on the back of the onkyo receiver. Then you can send audio from the TV apps to the receiver. 5.1 DD and DTS is the most you can pass over optical and ARC. HDMI V1.4 is all you need for now and for later when UHD Bluray is out.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I know the free Netflix promotion is over but for those who got it how long did you have to wait? I got my acknowledgement from Samsung that they received my paperwork on July 15th and have not heard anything since.
Samsung sent me this email (below) which I received on July 22 after submitting my request on July 15th. I am still waiting... If I get an email from them that they met that max submittals for the Netflix offer I will be really pissed.

Congratulations!
Your receipt was received and has been accepted, subject to verification of your eligibility and compliance with the Offer Terms and Conditions. We still need to check all your submission’s data to ensure compliance with the Offer Terms and Conditions before your submission is approved. Please allow approximately 2 weeks to receive an update email letting you know your final status.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The easiest method would be to connect an optical cable from the one connect mini box to the receiver. The more complex method would be to have your hdmi output on your receiver plugged into hdmi input 4 on the one connect mini. Then you have to read your instruction Manuel on your onkyo receiver and figure out how to turn ARC (audio return channel) to on in the onkyo options. Then you turn ARC on the TV so that all apps and USBs connected to the TV play audio on your receiver. But like I said ARC isn't always 100% so it's just easier in your case to take an optical cable from the OCB mini and plug it into the optical cable in on the back of the onkyo receiver. Then you can send audio from the TV apps to the receiver. 5.1 DD and DTS is the most you can pass over optical and ARC. HDMI V1.4 is all you need for now and for later when UHD Bluray is out.
Thank you for your time and help. I will do as you have suggested (my new HDMI and optical cable are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow). Do I have to do anything with the TV to view 4K/3D or does it automatically switch to 4K/3D when watching 4K/3D content?

·
Registered
18 Posts
New Owner

Hello all,

I've been reading through quite of bit of these pages of people loving the TV which makes me really happy, I have had my 55" 8500 for about 3 days now and I love it! As I was searching for calibration settings (which I have yet to find on here yet, so if someone could help that would be greatly appreciated), I also noticed people commenting on the TV's having different panels? I purchased mine from Best Buy and got a TH01 version, could someone comment on the different panels and how they affect the picture?

Thanks for everyones help so far!
Cole

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hello all,

I've been reading through quite of bit of these pages of people loving the TV which makes me really happy, I have had my 55" 8500 for about 3 days now and I love it! As I was searching for calibration settings (which I have yet to find on here yet, so if someone could help that would be greatly appreciated), I also noticed people commenting on the TV's having different panels? I purchased mine from Best Buy and got a TH01 version, could someone comment on the different panels and how they affect the picture?

Thanks for everyones help so far!
Cole
I used settings from rtings looks great except backlight I turn it up to 10.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/samsung/js8500/settings

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thank you for your time and help. I will do as you have suggested (my new HDMI and optical cable are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow). Do I have to do anything with the TV to view 4K/3D or does it automatically switch to 4K/3D when watching 4K/3D content?
The TV is ALWAYS in 4k no matter what. If you feed it a 1080p or lower signal then the TV will use its processor to convert the signal to 4k then enhance the image to your settings.. If you send a 4k signal then the TV will just use its processor to enhance the image with whatever settings you adjust. There are different kinds of 3d. There is side by side, top and bottom, there's 3d that the TV produces and there's 3d that's actual 3d from a bluray player or streaming site. You can see some 3d stuff on YouTube in 4k and it might have two images on the screen side by side or top and bottom where you can pick that setting on the TV and it will yield a 3d image. There's 2d programming and games where you can have the TV turn it into 3d and then there's actual 3d sent from the bluray. The 3d that's sent by a bluray or streaming site will look the best compared to all of them. Download an app called VUDU and browse the catalog then do a search for 3d. All the available 3d titles will pop up and you can watch the first two minutes of each movie in real 3d. With the glasses turned on, the TV will go into 3d mode automatically, same with 3d bluray. The other 3d formats you have to chooses from the 3d menu bar where you can choose side by side/top and bottom/ or 2d-3d

·
Registered
519 Posts
Supported file systems

I have a MAC. Which is the preferred formatting option in order to upgrade from a ZIP drive. Which format does Samsung prefer. I have FAT and ExFAT plus Mac OS Extended.
I don't think Samsung prefers one particular format over another, but according to page 159 of the E-Manual, "The TV supports the FAT, exFAT. and NTFS file systems."

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
The TV is ALWAYS in 4k no matter what. If you feed it a 1080p or lower signal then the TV will use its processor to convert the signal to 4k then enhance the image to your settings.. If you send a 4k signal then the TV will just use its processor to enhance the image with whatever settings you adjust. There are different kinds of 3d. There is side by side, top and bottom, there's 3d that the TV produces and there's 3d that's actual 3d from a bluray player or streaming site. You can see some 3d stuff on YouTube in 4k and it might have two images on the screen side by side or top and bottom where you can pick that setting on the TV and it will yield a 3d image. There's 2d programming and games where you can have the TV turn it into 3d and then there's actual 3d sent from the bluray. The 3d that's sent by a bluray or streaming site will look the best compared to all of them. Download an app called VUDU and browse the catalog then do a search for 3d. All the available 3d titles will pop up and you can watch the first two minutes of each movie in real 3d. With the glasses turned on, the TV will go into 3d mode automatically, same with 3d bluray. The other 3d formats you have to chooses from the 3d menu bar where you can choose side by side/top and bottom/ or 2d-3d
From what I'm gathering there is no true 4k 3D (4k to each eye) out there as there is no standard established. There can be, however, passive 1080p to each eye using a 4k signal. It depends on how it's encoded.

·
Registered
519 Posts
TH01 for all (so far)

I have had my 55" 8500 for about 3 days now and I love it! As I was searching for calibration settings (which I have yet to find on here yet, so if someone could help that would be greatly appreciated), I also noticed people commenting on the TV's having different panels? I purchased mine from Best Buy and got a TH01 version, could someone comment on the different panels and how they affect the picture?
Congrats on your new 55JS8500, hope it brings you many years of 4k SUHD HDR Nano pleasure.

To date, all JS8500/JS850D sets, regardless of size, have been equipped from the Tijuana factory with panel version TH01 for the North American market. That may change later in the production cycle, but as of now, all owners have been receiving version TH01 panels (Samsung part number BN95-02114A per http://www.searspartsdirect.com/samsung-television-parts/model-UN65JS8500FXZATH01/1482/0333600/50045734/00001.html).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats on your new 55JS8500, hope it brings you many years of 4k SUHD HDR Nano pleasure.

To date, all JS8500/JS850D sets, regardless of size, have been equipped from the Tijuana factory with panel version TH01 for the North American market. That may change later in the production cycle, but as of now, all owners have been receiving version TH01 panels (Samsung part number BN95-02114A per http://www.searspartsdirect.com/samsung-television-parts/model-UN65JS8500FXZATH01/1482/0333600/50045734/00001.html).
i always found this site with calibration settings for the JS8500 http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-js9000-picture-settings.html

·
Registered
519 Posts
That may change later in the production cycle, but as of now, all owners have been receiving version TH01 panels (Samsung part number BN95-02114A per http://www.searspartsdirect.com/samsung-television-parts/model-UN65JS8500FXZATH01/1482/0333600/50045734/00001.html).
That panel part number is for the 65" version, whereas the 55" version is part number BN95-02113A and the 48" version is part number BN95-02112A. The 65" panel was listed at just over $1,500 a few weeks back, but prices for all three panels have now been removed from the Sears PartsDirect website in an apparent attempt to prevent further incidents of fatal sticker shock. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks again for your patience and help. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts

I wanted to ask as you use the settings Rtings and I'm using it.
Color space and the 2pto and 10 pts 're using and you hear ?, which can vary according to the TV . The color tone using Warm2 ?

PS: Sorry for my English is very bad , I hope I understand. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would you guys recommend the JS8500 over the Sony XBR65X850C? ive always been a fan of samsung, but i have heard of some issues with the JS8500 and how bad samsung's customer service can be. Can you guys help out?

I am happy with the JS8500, no Curve, future proof to a certain extent, and still cheaper than the OLEDs on the market. As I have mention before in other thread I purchased an LG 55EC9300 preformed several tests and although it had better blacks you could not see that difference all the time when comparing it to the JS8500 with a variety of scenes. And that is not even mentioning that the JS8500 blew the the LG out of the water when it came to whites and brightness.

Apart from the JS9500 which unfortunately is curved, this is the best TV I could find without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
919 Posts

I wanted to ask as you use the settings Rtings and I'm using it.
Color space and the 2pto and 10 pts 're using and you hear ?, which can vary according to the TV . The color tone using Warm2 ?

PS: Sorry for my English is very bad , I hope I understand. :)
Yes I use 10 pts color space. I use Warm 1. Warm 2 is a bit too orange for me.

3721 - 3740 of 24414 Posts