AVS Forum banner

4321 - 4340 of 24395 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do the parameters (i.e. contrast, backlight, etc.) stay set with EACH picture mode (i.e. Dynamic, Movie, Natural, Standard) you modify them for?
Settings are applied per input/source. Or, you can apply one configuration to all sources. That's what I've done. My settings look great for DirecTV, Bluray, and Netflix. I'm not a gamer, so I don't have settings for a game console which does behave differently than other sources.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Best Buy has a weird promo this week. Free 32" TV with any JS8500 set.

Reactions: Reclaimer Rob

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Seems like there should be a difference in the picture settings depending if you are watching movies/series on Netflix versus TV programming coming over Direct TV. Does anyone have a Direct TV DVR who would like to share their picture settings with us? Right now I set up my MOVIE picture mode for my Netflix viewing and would like to setup my STANDARD picture mode for my Direct TV settings. Currently the faces of people (like on 60 minutes) look pasty.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Best Buy has a weird promo this week. Free 32" TV with any JS8500 set.

this is actually a samsung promo. they ran the same deal last year too. basically anywhere you buy this set, it will come with a 32" tv, not just best buy. and you can turn around and just sell it on ebay and make some money back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought this TV from Best Buy yesterday for $2999.99 and am interested in getting the Square Trade warranty. Should I get the 2000-2999 from the ST web site or does this value include sales tax, in which case I would have to get the 3000-4000 warranty off of Amazon?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I bought this TV from Best Buy yesterday for $2999.99 and am interested in getting the Square Trade warranty. Should I get the 2000-2999 from the ST web site or does this value include sales tax, in which case I would have to get the 3000-4000 warranty off of Amazon?
I would go for the more expsensive warranty, which i plan to do when my js9500 gets here. those warranties are capped. You dont wanna go using up your warranty credit on something minor and then something big fails and you dont have enough to cover.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum, got the JS 8500 65" a few days ago, still learning/testing on how to make the best out of this TV, so got many questions. For now here are my questions:

-on the mini connect box, what are the differences between the 4 hdmi inputs being label STB, DVI, MHL, and ARC? I connect them to AV amp, apple TV, and PS 4

-any short cut to change picture mode quickly besides going to Menu/Picture? I ask because on my Samsung 6 series Plasma TV there is a Tools button on the remote to change picture mode quickly

-This is my first LCD TV, have been watching 2 Plasma TVs for the past 7 years...I watch Sports program often and it includes Tennis. So far the motion blur on tennis game is quite disappointing as the tennis ball's blur really bother me when watching. I have tried and played around the "auto motion plus" but seems very little help. Can anyone please share a setting which will reduce the motion blur to a minimum? I understand motion blur is still one of LCD TV's weaknesses but I was surprised at this TV's motion blur since this is one of the top 4K TVs out there for 2015 per so many reviews. I know Plasma handles motion blur very well but they are gone for good!

-I have not touched the White, 2%, 10% yet, will these 2 settings help motion blur at all?

Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum, got the JS 8500 65" a few days ago, still learning/testing on how to make the best out of this TV, so got many questions. For now here are my questions:

-on the mini connect box, what are the differences between the 4 hdmi inputs being label STB, DVI, MHL, and ARC? I connect them to AV amp, apple TV, and PS 4

-any short cut to change picture mode quickly besides going to Menu/Picture? I ask because on my Samsung 6 series Plasma TV there is a Tools button on the remote to change picture mode quickly

-This is my first LCD TV, have been watching 2 Plasma TVs for the past 7 years...I watch Sports program often and it includes Tennis. So far the motion blur on tennis game is quite disappointing as the tennis ball's blur really bother me when watching. I have tried and played around the "auto motion plus" but seems very little help. Can anyone please share a setting which will reduce the motion blur to a minimum? I understand motion blur is still one of LCD TV's weaknesses but I was surprised at this TV's motion blur since this is one of the top 4K TVs out there for 2015 per so many reviews. I know Plasma handles motion blur very well but they are gone for good!

-I have not touched the White, 2%, 10% yet, will these 2 settings help motion blur at all?

Thanks.
Only differences with the HMDI ports are that MHL can power a supported mobile device (smartphone) it's connected to and ARC (Audio Return Channel) enables audio to get sent to a receiver.

No shortcut on the smart remote, unfortunately. The larger "regular" Samsung remotes that you can buy for $10 on eBay can do it though.

Have you tried the Sports Mode? I haven't, but just curious to see if that works for you.

White levels won't affect motion blur, no. Hope that's helpful!

·
Registered
519 Posts
UN65JS8500 "Item Under Review" status on Amazon

Has anyone ever seen an "Item Under Review" status message on Amazon for products sold directly by Amazon LLC (not for products "Fulfilled By Amazon" or sold by 3rd-party merchants on Amazon)? The reason I ask is because I just pulled up the Amazon web page for the UN65JS8500 at http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65JS8500-65-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00U9U9GII and I now see a message alert box (with a gold triangle icon surrounding an exclamation point) which contains the following text:

"Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

This is the first time I've encountered this message for anything sold on Amazon, so I'm curious if anyone else has seen this as well (this message was nowhere to be found when I purchased my UN65JS8500 directly from Amazon LLC back on May 24, 2015). :confused:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was under the impression that you had to buy the tv from Amazon to qualify for the Square Trade warranty specifically offered by Amazon. At least that's what 2 different customer service reps from Amazon told me a couple of months ago. That's one of the reasons I bought my Square Trade extended warranty from Costco.com (don't have to be a member and didn't have to buy tv from them either).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was under the impression that you had to buy the tv from Amazon to qualify for the Square Trade warranty specifically offered by Amazon. At least that's what 2 different customer service reps from Amazon told me a couple of months ago. That's one of the reasons I bought my Square Trade extended warranty from Costco.com (don't have to be a member and didn't have to buy tv from them either).
Thanks for the heads up. I will contact ST and see if I need to cancel the one I bought yesterday and just go thru their website or Costco instead.

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
Whatever happened with the JS8500 not supporting HDR comments, never did see a retraction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seems like there should be a difference in the picture settings depending if you are watching movies/series on Netflix versus TV programming coming over Direct TV. Does anyone have a Direct TV DVR who would like to share their picture settings with us? Right now I set up my MOVIE picture mode for my Netflix viewing and would like to setup my STANDARD picture mode for my Direct TV settings. Currently the faces of people (like on 60 minutes) look pasty.
Pasty is par for the course on 60 minutes lol.I am in the same boat and I have been tweaking my settings for directv also. My Current settings look spot on for Bluray and 4k but crap on most directv signals.I have not hit anything solid yet though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hello fellow gamers. Can some of you please share your settings for XBOX ONE AND PS4? And also the settings you used on the consols themselves? I Appreciate any input that is provided. I read somewhere that being these tvs are 4k some of the other console settings would be beneficial. Such as color depth and color space on XBOX ONE. THANKS.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello fellow gamers. Can some of you please share your settings for XBOX ONE AND PS4? And also the settings you used on the consols themselves? I Appreciate any input that is provided. I read somewhere that being these tvs are 4k some of the other console settings would be beneficial. Such as color depth and color space on XBOX ONE. THANKS.
I would like to know about this as well. Since this is primarily what this TV will be used for when I buy it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Anyone find a good way to default to a screen without a connection error if you only use SmartTV stuff? Mine seems to go to channel 3 fuzz or BluRay connections (which are off) by default when I turn on the TV. Just not as graceful...

Time

·
Registered
744 Posts
I know it does :) one person claimed it didnt
I think he went back and posted something if the TV automatically changes its settings when viewing HDR content, then it does read the metadata and can play HDR. I guess when he tested his set using one of the HDR demo clips, his settings didn't change or something. I'm not sure if he was looking for a different metadata. He did not post anything afterwards. I guess this would have been avoided if he simply asked the owners here first or read the last 10-20 pages instead of just posting his conclusion.

4321 - 4340 of 24395 Posts