AVS Forum banner

15581 - 15600 of 24395 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Geek Squad

I think I got geek squad protection. Ever work with them on something like this?
I recently had to deal with Geek Squad for my remote issue. They usually send a tech to diagnose the issue withing 3 business days. My recent experience with them has been very satisfying.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
*****ERuiz's Calibration for the Samsung UN65JS8500*****

I have finally completed a complete calibration of my JS8500 and I am extremely pleased with the results. First of all, I am not a professional calibrator, just a guy who embraces technology and decided to learn to calibrate my TVs on my own. So obviously, I have been doing tons of ready and researching to get me to this point. With that being said, take these as a baseline for those that like to fiddle around with their TVs but don't expect miracles. Each TV is different and what works for one, might not work for another.

I used CalMAN 5.4.2 with a i1D3 colorimeter, aiming for a light output of 35ftL (120cd/m2) and BT.1886 gamma curve.

PICTURE
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 86
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 7
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

PICTURE SIZE
Picture Size: 16:9
Fit to screen: ON

ADVANCED SETTINGS
*Dynamic Contrast: OFF
*Black Tone: OFF
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: OFF
Color Space: Custom
Gamma: -2

COLOR SPACE (R, G, B)
Red: 22, 7, 0
Green 26, 43, 4
Blue: 0, 6, 33
Yellow: 44, 46, 4
Cyan: 25, 51, 56
Magenta: 21, 8, 49

WHITE BALANCE (2 point)
R-Offset: -2
G-Offset: 5
B-Offset: 0
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -7
B-Gain: 3

WHITE BALANCE (10 point) (R, G, B)
10%: 49, 41, 30
20%: 44, 34, 31
30%: 28, 30, 30
40%: 20, 23, 28
50%: 14, 12, 14
60%: 7, 11, 12
70%: 3, 8, 6
80%: 2, 7, 5
90%: 0, 0, -1
100%: 0, 0, 0

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone: Movie2
*Digital Clean View: OFF
*MPEG Noise Filter: OFF
HDMI Black Level: Low
HDMI UHD Color: OFF
*Auto Motion Plus: Clear
*Smart LED: Standard
*Cinema Black: ON

*Adjust to your own preference if you don't like the way I have set mine.

Settings without an asterisk (*) must be entered exactly as I have them. Otherwise the white balance, gamma, color and whitepoint will be affected.

I am including CalMAN post-calibration graphs so you can see my results.

Suggestions, opinions, compliments and criticism are highly welcomed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
& you get good blacks with dynamic contrast turned off?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Got my 55" today, got it all mounted up and everything then I realized I have a bright blue stuck pixel, very noticeable. Un****inbelievable. So frustrating especially considering everyone says the 55" has almost no problems. I have the worst luck with tvs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got the 65 JS8500 from BB. I got blue light bleed in the lower left corner. The same corner is not flush. It's has a January 16 build date. I did a clouding test, and at the time of the test DenPoms standard settings were used. Is it normal for the screen to get cloudy during the credits? Any opinions would be appreciated whether I should keep it or exchange it. Other than that I really like it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just got the 65 JS8500 from BB. I got blue light bleed in the lower left corner. The same corner is not flush. It's has a January 16 build date. I did a clouding test, and at the time of the test DenPoms standard settings were used. Is it normal for the screen to get cloudy during the credits? Any opinions would be appreciated whether I should keep it or exchange it. Other than that I really like it.

View attachment 1263993

View attachment 1264001

View attachment 1264009

View attachment 1264017

View attachment 1264025
Where do you get the clouding test?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Can i connect GTX 970 to any of the HDMI ports and get at 60 Hz?
Yes. You need to enable UHD color and set the input device to PC.

However, many HDMI cables won't work at 2160p 60Hz 4:4:4 color. That requires 18 Gbps bandwidth, and high speed HDMI cables only officially support 10 Gbps. If your run is short enough you may have success. Full details in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/2016401-hdmi-cables-support-4k-60hz-4-4-4-chroma-deep-color-11.html

·
Registered
478 Posts

View attachment 1263993

View attachment 1264001

View attachment 1264009

View attachment 1264017

View attachment 1264025
I hate to say it but I'd exchange the TV. The bezel is physically damaged. The blue corner isn't the worst I've seen posted on this thread for a 65" but between the two defects I wouldn't keep that TV. If there's any upside it's that you purchased the TV from a reputable dealer who should have more in stock to exchange for.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

View attachment 1263993

View attachment 1264001

View attachment 1264009

View attachment 1264017

View attachment 1264025

can't speak to the clouding, but that blue corner is pretty minimal in the picture. can you see it during normal viewing?

I'd probably be gunning for a new set though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I would give an update on my TV adventure.

Best Buy came out today to deliver a new TV after the first one exhibited the blue corners problem. I had them hook up the replacement TV and check it. The delivery guys agreed that the new one had blue corners as well. I sent them back with both TVs. I will probably get a refund for now and wait until Samsung gets their QC issues under control for the 65". I liked the picture, but the blue corners is a deal breaker for me.

Has anyone purchased a 65" model in the last couple of months without the blue corners issue?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone have issues with the sound on the TV when UHD Color is turned on? I turned it on yesterday to watch The Martian in 4k with the k8500 blu ray player. Went to watch some DirecTV last night and there was no sound 'till I turned the UHD Color off. I'm running my DirecTV through my Denon s910w to HDMI port 4 on the evolution box, then to the TV with the one connect cord.

I could turn the TV off and then the receiver would then start playing the audio coming from DirecTV, while the UHD Color was still turned on obviously. I googled it, but there were only two links that directed me towards Samsung trouble shooting, but they were no help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Smooth playback from Roku 3

I have a Roku 3 and a Roku 2 in my house. On my Roku 3, some content (Mythbusters on Amazon, all SimpleTV recordings (local playing), and other random content is jerky. Not rebuffering, just jerky. I can play the same content on my laptop, my smart TV, my Roku2 without issues.

This all started when I upgraded my TV from my old Plasma to the new LED Samsung 8500. There is no issue with the old Plasma (I briefly switched back and the problem went away). Again this issue is only with SOME content not all. I have a 100Mbps connection. Roku 3 is hardwired to my router. The SmartTV is connected to the exact same Ethernet Switch.

What should I do? I tried deleting and re-adding the Amazon channel with no change. Do I factory reset?

Anyone else having issues with a Roku 3?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hate to say it but I'd exchange the TV. The bezel is physically damaged. The blue corner isn't the worst I've seen posted on this thread for a 65" but between the two defects I wouldn't keep that TV. If there's any upside it's that you purchased the TV from a reputable dealer who should have more in stock to exchange for.
Thanks for the response, I think I'll call BB today.

15581 - 15600 of 24395 Posts