AVS Forum banner

16161 - 16180 of 24395 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
So look at this crap. This is the worst clouding I've seen on any TV. Ever. You can even see it in brighter pictures (third image).
so, nothing like that here:

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
It should say Ultra HD. Did you add the second (ultra HD) version I posted? This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RZVYODG/ref=cm_cr_mpr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&tag=viglink20246-20
With some effort, I was able to add Mad Dogs [Super UHD] to my watchlist (and it looked great in HDR) but could not add any other series like Mozart in the Jungle. Is there some trick to that? Does it depend on what TV is registered? None of the 2015 TVs are there, so it came up a as "Samsung Smart TV". Any ideas? If not, could you at least send me links to "Mozart in the Jungle" and "Man in the High Castle"?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know I'm an oddball case (and likely extremely lucky), but here's proof that Samsung *can* come through after putting you through months of crap! Keep pushing them if you have a bad set and are out of the exchange period!
I'm currently in a predicament as well. The fourth time I had the service tech here he told me he was opening up a ticket with Samsung to get me a new unit because it is defective and that I would hear from them in a day or two. It's been over two weeks and I haven't heard back and my messages have not been returned.

How did you get them to send out a new unit?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Could someone else with a UBD-K8500 please tell me the best settings to be using for 4K UHD Blu-ray? Salt finally came in the mail, my first UHD Blu-ray! Still waiting on the rest of the discs I ordered to arrive

I'm currently use the settings from CNET: http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...ture-settings/

I also have HDMI UHD Color set to ON. Is this the best setting?

I also have not touched any of the settings in K8500 itself and have BD Wise set to off.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm currently in a predicament as well. The fourth time I had the service tech here he told me he was opening up a ticket with Samsung to get me a new unit because it is defective and that I would hear from them in a day or two. It's been over two weeks and I haven't heard back and my messages have not been returned.

How did you get them to send out a new unit?
Here was what I did (your mileage might vary):

*After the tech told me he initiated an engineering review, I waited a couple of days and called Samsung to follow up. They acted as if it hadn't really been started yet, but they did so and said I would hear a response in 1-3 business days. I believe it was escalated to the Executive response team at that point as well.

*I called back after 3 days to follow up and was told the engineering team decided it should be repaired again. I expressed my concern with the tech that had (not) repaired it 4 times previously and they said they would schedule another tech.

*I received an email a couple of days later from a new service center requesting that I contact them to finalize my appointment. Upon calling, they did not actually have a tech in my area for service and cancelled the ticket.

*I called Samsung yet again and explained that the tech was unable to perform service. That rep finally agreed to look at my paperwork and decided to request an exchange. She called the service center and got all the paperwork together and said I would hear back within the standard 1-3 days.

*I received an email later that day notifying me that an exchange request was initiated.

*The next day I received another email saying the exchange was approved.

*Three business days passed and I was going to call Samsung again on my lunch break, but they ended up calling me right before I was going to. That was the rep who actually processed the exchange and ordered the replacement unit for me.

*I am still awaiting actual tracking/shipment info at this point, she told me it could be 7-10 days before the shipping company reaches me to schedule the actual delivery.

In summary: I had to initiate ALMOST ALL contact with Samsung on my own. I easily spent 20+ hours on the phone with them through this ordeal which actually started last November. I was always very courteous and polite, but also persistent. In my opinion, give them the time they said it would take to get back to you and then call them yourself. Eventually you should get somewhere, but honestly it was quite difficult.

I hope they get you hooked up with a great working unit! Hope that helps a little!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
With some effort, I was able to add Mad Dogs [Super UHD] to my watchlist (and it looked great in HDR) but could not add any other series like Mozart in the Jungle. Is there some trick to that? Does it depend on what TV is registered? None of the 2015 TVs are there, so it came up a as "Samsung Smart TV". Any ideas? If not, could you at least send me links to "Mozart in the Jungle" and "Man in the High Castle"?
The Ultra HD stuff is hard to find because Amazon doesn't have a way to search or categorize it yet. I just google "*show name* ultra hd" and find the link to the amazon page with it and add it to my watch list.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here was what I did (your mileage might vary):

*After the tech told me he initiated an engineering review, I waited a couple of days and called Samsung to follow up. They acted as if it hadn't really been started yet, but they did so and said I would hear a response in 1-3 business days. I believe it was escalated to the Executive response team at that point as well.

*I called back after 3 days to follow up and was told the engineering team decided it should be repaired again. I expressed my concern with the tech that had (not) repaired it 4 times previously and they said they would schedule another tech.

*I received an email a couple of days later from a new service center requesting that I contact them to finalize my appointment. Upon calling, they did not actually have a tech in my area for service and cancelled the ticket.

*I called Samsung yet again and explained that the tech was unable to perform service. That rep finally agreed to look at my paperwork and decided to request an exchange. She called the service center and got all the paperwork together and said I would hear back within the standard 1-3 days.

*I received an email later that day notifying me that an exchange request was initiated.

*The next day I received another email saying the exchange was approved.

*Three business days passed and I was going to call Samsung again on my lunch break, but they ended up calling me right before I was going to. That was the rep who actually processed the exchange and ordered the replacement unit for me.

*I am still awaiting actual tracking/shipment info at this point, she told me it could be 7-10 days before the shipping company reaches me to schedule the actual delivery.

In summary: I had to initiate ALMOST ALL contact with Samsung on my own. I easily spent 20+ hours on the phone with them through this ordeal which actually started last November. I was always very courteous and polite, but also persistent. In my opinion, give them the time they said it would take to get back to you and then call them yourself. Eventually you should get somewhere, but honestly it was quite difficult.

I hope they get you hooked up with a great working unit! Hope that helps a little!
Yeah, it's been way over the amount of time that I was told I would hear back. I've been meaning to call, just been so busy with work/school that I haven't had much time. I sent an email to the service quick company that has been here four times and never got a response. I'll need to make it a point to call some time this weekend.

Thanks for the info. At least I know there is hope

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Denpom,
Those images are awesome. Could you please verify the source (bluray, 4K) and which version of your settings used and is it movie or standard. Please and thank you.
that's Netflix, TV series The 100. typical grainy Netflix encode that's not particularly great but it puts your set to the test alright due to grain and compression artifacts. Movie mode settings from the 1st post.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's a reason why thru the Holiday season,tvs like this get thousands of dollars in price cuts,from 4 to 5 grand at launch to now 2499 or 1999,,someone had mention at the beginning of this thread that samsung will use cheaper parts for some of there models in order to have there prices lowered and from the looks of this thread the last few months am starting to belive that statement is true..I mean u can't expect them to shave off a couple grand and expect the same performance as when the tv was doubled in price just a few weeks before...if u bought this tv in the summer then u got the best out of the 8500..if u bought this tv this year or in the Holiday sale, u probly got it with different parts..judging from all these complaints in this thread lately, that statement that person made earlier in this thread bout using cheaper parts at the end of the year might be true!,,remember this was a statement made by a member here..

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a reason why thru the Holiday season,tvs like this get thousands of dollars in price cuts,from 4 to 5 grand at launch to now 2499 or 1999,,someone had mention at the beginning of this thread that samsung will use cheaper parts for some of there models in order to have there prices lowered and from the looks of this thread the last few months am starting to belive that statement is true..I mean u can't expect them to shave off a couple grand and expect the same performance as when the tv was doubled in price just a few weeks before...if u bought this tv in the summer then u got the best out of the 8500..if u bought this tv this year or in the Holiday sale, u probly got it with different parts..judging from all these complaints in this thread lately, that statement that person made earlier in this thread bout using cheaper parts at the end of the year might be true!,,remember this was a statement made by a member here..
Or low supply high price, high supply low price.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I went thru 2 850D sets + 1 8500 set + 2 replacement panels = total 5 panels all exhibit "blue corners". Aside from that i have to agree this is a great tv.

16161 - 16180 of 24395 Posts