AVS Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 4201 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
so the new sony's have still 8 bit panels and can't display 4k @ 60fps?

is this right? is so then...... Samsung here I come.
You're assumptions are inaccurate and have been inaccurate since 2013. According to at least one source, Sony's 2015 TV's use 10-bit panels. I suspect that they may have been using 10-bit panels for previous years as well (though that is unconfirmed). Also, Sony was the first manufacturer to support 4Kp60 when they issued a firmware update for their 2013 4K models back in late 2013/early 2014. All of their 2014 and 2015 models support 4Kp60 out of the box. However, when receiving 4Kp60 via. HDMI, their support is limited to 8-bit, 4:2:0. This limitation is due to the lesser bandwidth of their HDMI ports and has nothing to do with the panels in the TV's. They are more than capable of handling higher bit depths with less chroma compression when either the frame rate or the spatial resolution are reduced.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All of their 2014 and 2015 models support 4Kp60 out of the box. However, when receiving 4Kp60 via. HDMI, their support is limited to 8-bit, 4:2:0. This limitation is due to the lesser bandwidth of their HDMI ports and has nothing to do with the panels in the TV's.
Is this a confirmed fact for all 2015 TVs? I know that some X850C owners report limited 4Kp60 capabilites. But is this actually coming from a limited chip, or is the chip actually capable of more, but SONY is not implementing this feature yet, as other aspects have higher priority? Will/do the X9C, X93C and X94C have other chips / higher performing HDMI chips? Thanks for any info.
Greetings.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Code:
You're assumptions are inaccurate and have been inaccurate since 2013. According to at least one source, Sony's 2015 TV's use 10-bit panels. I suspect that they may have been using 10-bit panels for previous years as well (though that is unconfirmed).
Here's a link dating back to 2008 where in fact all XBR's and Z Series were Ten Bit w/Ten Bit Processing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019HZINM?ie=UTF8&ref_=de_a_smtd&showDetailTechData=1#technical-data

But, this was not necessarily the first year it was used. Over the years Sony Flagship's since have usually been Ten Bit depending on panel source they contracted out and it also became a feature they did not market often. Sharp Flagship Products were also Ten Bit but often were not a feature marketed. Mathematically an 8G, 8 bit panel cannot produce Billions of Colors.

I don't believe the Sony 850 series has ever been considered a Flagship product though so I would be suspect of the 850C being Ten Bit whereas I would totally expect the 930/940C to have it considering in that link from 7 years ago they were.

Many on this Forum reference Ten Bit Panels like it's new when that's far from the truth that have been following the products for over ten years here. After all, Ten Bit may not mean Jack to Joe/Jane Consumer so they'll often market it using other buzzword's than the tech spec.:)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I gotta admit though: that 78" HU9000 at $4500 is mighty tempting!!! And available for immediate shipping...

Carlos, pls don't get upset;)
I went to BB yesterday and sat in front of the 78" for about 15 minutes. I'm not exaggerating, I left with a headache.

When I sat either left or right of center I felt eye strain. My natural eye position is to look straight ahead. Which had me looking at either the right or left side of the curved screen instead of the center. I felt eye straight focusing on the center of the screen. I also noticed color shift sitting slightly left or right of center. Curved screens are not for me and I don't see how people put up with them.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The YouTube app actually updated today to support 4K. USB was a no go, likely because the files range from 6GB to 12GB in size.

I'm a bit confused though. Shouldn't the set automatically upscale content to 4K? I'm only able to achieve it if the device supports 4K upscaling.
Where did you see the app update?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I went to BB yesterday and sat in front of the 78" for about 15 minutes. I'm not exaggerating, I left with a headache.

When I sat either left or right of center I felt eye strain. My natural eye position is to look straight ahead. Which had me looking at either the right or left side of the curved screen instead of the center. I felt eye straight focusing on the center of the screen. I also noticed color shift sitting slightly left or right of center. Curved screens are not for me and I don't see how people put up with them.
Not disagreeing with your observation as it may seem that way to you.
I can say after a week with the HU9000 I forget it was a curved screen you just get use to it. In fact I walk by it and see the curve and go OK. haha.
Does it improve anything no and nor does it hurt PQ.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Not disagreeing with your observation as it may seem that way to you.
I can say after a week with the HU9000 I forget it was a curved screen you just get use to it. In fact I walk by it and see the curve and go OK. haha.
Does it improve anything no and nor does it hurt PQ.
Do you always sit dead center? When other's watch with you and sit off center does the curve bother them?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Do you always sit dead center? When other's watch with you and sit off center does the curve bother them?
No I don't always set dead center. If my wife and I lay on the lounge we are about 15deg. off center. But that was one thing we both looked at when I first set the HU up was the curve and off angle viewing. Now we do have all of our viewing environments setup for the best viewing. Seating, lighting ect.
Like a stated after a couple of day you really forget the screen is curved.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
It is because HDTV thinks he has the right to tell us what to discuss. Just because he is a thread starter does not give him that right.

I guess the power of being a thread starter compels him to act such a way. This is a forum and we should be allowed to have opinions.
Agree opinions and ideas are the bedrock of free discussion and learning . Starting a thread does not denote ownership that privilege belongs to AV science , they keep the lights on here and*if you can't * think of anything useful to contribute and have *maybe*a lack in depth understanding of the product, underlying technology what it is,how it works, and why it works *or just an idea of how it may work at all* ( or can offer often appreciated supportable rebuttal arguments to incorrect understandings ) on a science forum you can either defer to those of us that do *or might * ,some that might even have FCC licence (yours truly ) or keep quiet with the snide comments and if you don't want to read something you can't comprehend anyway just use use your scroll wheel if you can manage to figure out that's what it's for,move on down the page and keep on not learning anything or any new ideas :p

Going to B.B. today to see if in the unlikely event, setting aside 4K , that the 55X850C is any better than the (2nd set of 5 )50" 2013 Sony in here, it's a longshot though this set got much better scores ,contrast ,black ,day , night and other measurements at rtings dot com except lag input which is still acceptable for console gaming . I will probably come home empty unless the competition has something at that price point to catch my eye .

OTOH ........drooling in front of the x940C and it's companions and competition should be interesting though I haven't seen the 2015 Sony's yet but I've seen Some real decent Samsungs .

Go Warriors - ( Warriors vs Rockets 2 Day 2-0 )- :D :p

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,853
Agree opinions and ideas are the bedrock of free discussion and learning .
LMAO - and that was EXACTLY my point!

Quit telling people that their questions are stupid and that no one cares.

It obviously is important to them (whether you agree or not) and they care.

So yes, if someone wants to know about the HDMI chip in this TV before plunking down $8,000 - let them ask.

If someone wants to know more about the HDR in this TV before plunking down $8,000 - let them ask.

Don't go telling people that "NOBODY CARES" when they ask a question.

Thanks for making my point...

Reactions: boe

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im looking to get this tv set. How long, in generally, does it take for the prices to go down?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im looking to get this tv set. How long, in generally, does it take for the prices to go down?
The 930C might move a little more, but I wouldn't expect much movement from the 940C, especially how competitively Sony has placed itself against Samsung with this set. The premium sets tend to not get nearly as much price adjustments as the other sets.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The 930C might move a little more, but I wouldn't expect much movement from the 940C, especially how competitively Sony has placed itself against Samsung with this set. The premium sets tend to not get nearly as much price adjustments as the other sets.

anyone think its worth it to get the 940c, which is 75" for 8k, or last years model 900b 78" for 6500? Is the difference that big for the naked eye?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
anyone think its worth it to get the 940c, which is 75" for 8k, or last years model 900b 78" for 6500? Is the difference that big for the naked eye?
Factor in the X1 chip, VP9 decoding and UHD HDR Bluray support. Is it worth $1,500 to you? In my opinion yes.

Also Sony will offer 10% ($799) towards products purchased with the 940C so you could get the X10 media player free.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are there any members out there that have a newly acquired X930c, and that might have comments about it.....(since we lost Carlos to shipping fiasco):(

·
Registered
205 Posts
Factor in the X1 chip, VP9 decoding and UHD HDR Bluray support. Is it worth $1,500 to you? In my opinion yes.

Also Sony will offer 10% ($799) towards products purchased with the 940C so you could get the X10 media player free.
BTW The Sony rep in BB who was setting up the 930C told me they are discontinuing the X10 and they will not have a replacement for it but he did say that will have a 4K blu ray player with a target launch date of year end if at all possible:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
BTW The Sony rep in BB who was setting up the 930C told me they are discontinuing the X10 and they will not have a replacement for it but he did say that will have a 4K blu ray player with a target launch date of year end if at all possible:rolleyes:
I thought the same. I have two X10s and that's why I didn't buy a 3rd. I figured Sony's UHD player would include an HD and download features of the X10.

2841 - 2860 of 4201 Posts