AVS Forum banner

4161 - 4180 of 4208 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ive been dealing with an issue all day - I feel like I would literally pay someone if they could help me fix it so I could get rid of this issue haha. I have he 930c.

When playing HDR video via the 4K UHD I noticed the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen have a little bit of "light bleed" show and the black bars are noticeable. This is with the Xbox One S.

The weird thing is, when watching HDR content on Netflix (on the Xbox) the black bars don't have any light bleed show through (check out Marco Polo). Also, if you disable HDR on the Xbox and play 4K the black bars don't have any issues either (picture attached).

So the only way I can see this issue is when playing a 4K UHD with HDR enabled.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help please!

I bought my XBR75X940C in March.

Worked great. All of a sudden today, started getting 4 the status light blinking 4 times.

Tried to reset the TV, power off, power on, disconnected all devices (only receiver is plugged in), disconnected network. TV does work. After plugging it back in and using the power button in the back, light blinks 4 times. Tried the hold power button down reset, same thing.

Anyone know what light blinking 4 times means?

Thanks,
Akash

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Ive been dealing with an issue all day - I feel like I would literally pay someone if they could help me fix it so I could get rid of this issue haha. I have he 930c.

When playing HDR video via the 4K UHD I noticed the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen have a little bit of "light bleed" show and the black bars are noticeable. This is with the Xbox One S.

The weird thing is, when watching HDR content on Netflix (on the Xbox) the black bars don't have any light bleed show through (check out Marco Polo). Also, if you disable HDR on the Xbox and play 4K the black bars don't have any issues either (picture attached).

How many UHD discs do you have? Do you see the same thing on all of them? If you're only seeing it on one, it could just be the HDR master on that particular disc.

From your shot, despite the lighter bars on the bottom, the color does look better on the HDR version, the SDR looks like it has a too-cold color temp with a blue cast.

·
Registered
337 Posts
How many UHD discs do you have? Do you see the same thing on all of them? If you're only seeing it on one, it could just be the HDR master on that particular disc.

From your shot, despite the lighter bars on the bottom, the color does look better on the HDR version, the SDR looks like it has a too-cold color temp with a blue cast.
I only have one - I may get another to see how that one is.

I didn't know there was an HDR master because the image you see is the same disc/same movie selection on that disc and it seems like the HDR settings (whether it's from the Xbox or TV) cause the lighting behind the bars to light up.

For example - when I turn HDR off and there's a black screen it almost looks like there's nothing light up behind the black pixels. When I turn it on it looks like all the black pixels are lit.

·
Registered
337 Posts

Got two more discs today and they're still acting up. How come I can't edit certain settings in HDR mode. I'm confident some Breyer out settings would resolve this.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi everyone,
I picked up the 940C from Best Buy today (display model, $2499) and I think that's a good deal given it doesn't come with the stand or the box. I have estimated that they've put on around 5000 hours of usage on this TV. I wanted to know if anyone knew the projected lifespan of this TV. 10,000 hours?

I am going to be using it as a theater TV and therefore I don't anticipate putting on more than 15 hours a week on average on this TV. Around 700 hours a year. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi everyone,
I picked up the 940C from Best Buy today (display model, $2499) and I think that's a good deal given it doesn't come with the stand or the box. I have estimated that they've put on around 5000 hours of usage on this TV. I wanted to know if anyone knew the projected lifespan of this TV. 10,000 hours?

I am going to be using it as a theater TV and therefore I don't anticipate putting on more than 15 hours a week on average on this TV. Around 700 hours a year. Any thoughts? Thanks!
10,000 hours would be on the extreme low-end, even Plasmas were typically rated at 30,000+ and LED LCDs have longer usable lifespans than those.

Reactions: Cyberathlete

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

It looks like a colorspace mismatch. It happens with my nvidia shield sometimes.

The trick I use is to go to HOME on the tv, then open settings or something, the from there switch back to input HDMI and it synchronizes to the correct colorspace.

(Try to toggle between an app on the tv to the HDMI input a few times and see it fixes it.)

·
Registered
422 Posts
10,000 hours would be on the extreme low-end, even Plasmas were typically rated at 30,000+ and LED LCDs have longer usable lifespans than those.
Thank you! What a relief to hear.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It looks like a colorspace mismatch. It happens with my nvidia shield sometimes.

The trick I use is to go to HOME on the tv, then open settings or something, the from there switch back to input HDMI and it synchronizes to the correct colorspace.

(Try to toggle between an app on the tv to the HDMI input a few times and see it fixes it.)
Tried it a couple times, didn't work. Thanks for the advice thought.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Aaaaaaah! Turned on the TV. Fantastic image, but one stuck/dead pixel right in the middle towards the lower part of the screen. It's a green/white color. Hard to tell exactly. I am not going to return the TV because of it but my concern is if this issue gets worse as time goes on or 1 pixel is just a random occurrence and I shouldn't be worried about more dead pixels popping up.

Also any settings fellow users use on this TV? I didn't receive any manuals and there are no detailed descriptions of the various settings within the menu so I am not sure what are the best options. TV will be used mainly for viewing Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and UHD playback. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Aaaaaaah! Turned on the TV. Fantastic image, but one stuck/dead pixel right in the middle towards the lower part of the screen.

Also any settings fellow users use on this TV?

I would return the TV. You will soon find the dead pixel very distracting. You eye will always be watching it. Your friends probably won't notice it unless you point it out to them, but you will always see it.

That said, if I were you, I would go back to the store and threaten to take it back. Then tell them you will keep it, but you want them to professionally calibrate it for you and maybe get an additional discount like a gift card or something. I have had my last two TVs calibrated. Usually you would have to wait until it is broken in. I think yours qualifies.

By the way, several settings have been posted earlier in this thread. Read and try them. And the manuals are available on the Sony site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would return the TV. You will soon find the dead pixel very distracting. You eye will always be watching it. Your friends probably won't notice it unless you point it out to them, but you will always see it.

That said, if I were you, I would go back to the store and threaten to take it back. Then tell them you will keep it, but you want them to professionally calibrate it for you and maybe get an additional discount like a gift card or something. I have had my last two TVs calibrated. Usually you would have to wait until it is broken in. I think yours qualifies.

By the way, several settings have been posted earlier in this thread. Read and try them. And the manuals are available on the Sony site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmmmm, well if I return this TV then there isn't another I FALD or a Sony XBR75x940 that I'll be able to get at this price. Or is there? The image is quite stellar on this and my wife and i noticed that there def is a difference in blacks and color in what we see here vs what we saw on other LCDs.

They are sending a technician over to verify the dead pixel and they will try to see if Sony will send a new panel out for Geek Squad to replace it. There is a good chance Sony will not send a replacement panel. And from anyone's experience how good is Geek Squad with repairing such TVs even if Sony does send a new panel out?

I guess my only thing to do is to negotiate for an additional xx% off. As i mentioned I paid $2499 for a TV that will be the perfect fit for the family room (as it has nice built in speakers). Given that price I can live with the stuck pixel but do more usually pop up over time? or not? Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Help please!

I bought my XBR75X940C in March.

Worked great. All of a sudden today, started getting 4 the status light blinking 4 times.

Tried to reset the TV, power off, power on, disconnected all devices (only receiver is plugged in), disconnected network. TV does work. After plugging it back in and using the power button in the back, light blinks 4 times. Tried the hold power button down reset, same thing.

Anyone know what light blinking 4 times means?

Thanks,
Akash

I had the same thing happen if you are referring to 4 blinking red lights. I called Sony and they had a tech come out and replace the video board. That fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please help at wits end
I have a Sony Bravia 930 and a Sony str 1060. I have the receiver plugged in through hdmi a to HDMI 4 on the Bravia. I have each of my various inputs (tv/PS4/chrome/Roku) running through the receiver. Everything seemed fine for the last few months and I was displaying widescreen 1080p correctly.

I got a fire stick today so I can watch 4K through the Bravia. I connected it into the catv/sat input on the receiver since this is the only 2.2 comp input. I set the Bravia input 4 on enhanced and set the receiver for 4K. At some point everything now displays as 4:3 essentially. The tv says 1080p when I press display, but I have huge black bars on the sides and I can't get it ever to display 4K. Worse yet every input on the receiver is inflicted with the poor 4:3 aspect ratio. I cleared the memory on the receiver but nothing that I display through the receiver will display in native widescreen.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here, I'm at a total loss.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Please help at wits end
I have a Sony Bravia 930 and a Sony str 1060. I have the receiver plugged in through hdmi a to HDMI 4 on the Bravia. I have each of my various inputs (tv/PS4/chrome/Roku) running through the receiver. Everything seemed fine for the last few months and I was displaying widescreen 1080p correctly.

I got a fire stick today so I can watch 4K through the Bravia. I connected it into the catv/sat input on the receiver since this is the only 2.2 comp input. I set the Bravia input 4 on enhanced and set the receiver for 4K. At some point everything now displays as 4:3 essentially. The tv says 1080p when I press display, but I have huge black bars on the sides and I can't get it ever to display 4K. Worse yet every input on the receiver is inflicted with the poor 4:3 aspect ratio. I cleared the memory on the receiver but nothing that I display through the receiver will display in native widescreen.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here, I'm at a total loss.
Have you tried bypassing the receiver and plugging directly into the set to see if that fixes the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
XBR75X940C with 4th Generation App,e TV

Anybody have a 4th Generation Apple TV reliably working with an XBR75X940C?

Been told by Sony they are not compatible.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Anybody have a 4th Generation Apple TV reliably working with an XBR75X940C?

Been told by Sony they are not compatible.
Why would they not be compatible? It's a device hooked to the TV via HDMI.

4161 - 4180 of 4208 Posts