AVS Forum banner

4341 - 4360 of 16436 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Not looking for yet another external box, looking for an app in the tv since it is "smart". I have an ipad, but don't plan to buy an apple tv and be locked in to their ecosystem.
There is no app and there won't be hence the simple, cheap recommendation. Go without.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone have issues with their internet speeds on their M series? I have 20Mbs down/ 5 up connected to my router (3' away) via cat6 Ethernet cable. The "test connection" shows 3Mbs each time I test it. I was watching Narcos via the Netflix app (UHD version) and it took about 10 minutes to go from 720 to 1080p and never got to 2160p the entire hour. One other show (Chef's table) gets to 2160p half-way into the show, so I know that it can achieve the UHD with my speed. Any suggestions? Anything that I can do to my router to help?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Does anyone have issues with their internet speeds on their M series? I have 20Mbs down/ 5 up connected to my router (3' away) via cat6 Ethernet cable. The "test connection" shows 3Mbs each time I test it. I was watching Narcos via the Netflix app (UHD version) and it took about 10 minutes to go from 720 to 1080p and never got to 2160p the entire hour. One other show (Chef's table) gets to 2160p half-way into the show, so I know that it can achieve the UHD with my speed. Any suggestions? Anything that I can do to my router to help?
I wouldn't rely on the "test connection" results. My internet is 250/20Mbps down/up, connected via 5Ghz/ac wireless and the Vizio connection test shows me 6.2 Mbps!
You can try firing up the Ultraflix app. It does a bandwidth test at the beginning which is more accurate (it shows ~50Mbps for me).
Do you get consistent 20Mbs on other devices/PCs? I think for UHD Netflix you would need 15.6Mbps and it might be difficult to maintain that over a 20Mbps connection (especially if you have other devices that are using bandwidth or streaming during peak hours if you have cable internet).

I would start with a speed test using a PC.

·
Registered
20,351 Posts

The test internet connection is unreliable, don't use it. For UHD I believe NetFlix recommends 25Mbps, so it may take a bit for your connection to ramp up. Remember you may have 20Mbps, but if anything else is using good connection it will drop not to mention that's only if you are actually getting your advertised speed.

Also, to note they removed the 4k version of Narcos. I haven't seen a reason posted as to why yet.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the "test connection" results. My internet is 250/20Mbps down/up, connected via 5Ghz/ac wireless and the Vizio connection test shows me 6.2 Mbps!
You can try firing up the Ultraflix app. It does a bandwidth test at the beginning which is more accurate (it shows ~50Mbps for me).
Do you get consistent 20Mbs on other devices/PCs? I think for UHD Netflix you would need 15.6Mbps and it might be difficult to maintain that over a 20Mbps connection (especially if you have other devices that are using bandwidth or streaming during peak hours if you have cable internet). I would start with a speed test using a PC.
I will try the UF app tonight. Using speedtest.net on PC I'm getting 16-20 consistently.

The test internet connection is unreliable, don't use it. For UHD I believe NetFlix recommends 25Mbps, so it may take a bit for your connection to ramp up. Remember you may have 20Mbps, but if anything else is using good connection it will drop not to mention that's only if you are actually getting your advertised speed. Also, to note they removed the 4k version of Narcos. I haven't seen a reason posted as to why yet.
I guess that's why they say "up to 20 Mbs" lol.. Hate to hear that about Narcos. Enjoying the show and even in 1080p it looks very clear.

Thanks for the replys. Anything that I can/need to do with my router to maximize my speed?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The controls (play/pause, fast forward, etc.) work fine for me on M55, but I'm streaming from a Plex server running on my PC...
Same here. Just two things I don't like. The speed that is fast forwards at is slow.. and the fact it does not remeber last playback time. Two things I like about my lg in living room. Unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was just wondering on which calibration setting does everyone recommend on a M70 and M60?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Same here. Just two things I don't like. The speed that is fast forwards at is slow.. and the fact it does not remeber last playback time. Two things I like about my lg in living room. Unless I'm missing something.
Agreed! While the built-in media player works, I don't find it very user-friendly. It's also annoying that you have to press OK/play twice to play videos full screen.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think that the speed of fast forwarding is depended on how fast it is streaming from your local drive and CPU power from your media server.

·
Registered
26 Posts

As a last note: I originally bought the 55" version because I thought that's the largest TV I can fit in my space, without dominating my small living room. After receiving the TV and watching it for while, I realized that I can probably get away with a 60" which is now on its way ;)
Let us know how your 60" stacks up against the 55", which looks pretty clean in terms of DSE. I have the M65 and the DSE is a little annoying but I think I'm getting used to it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think that the speed of fast forwarding is depended on how fast it is streaming from your local drive and CPU power from your media server.
Hard to tell, but it seems to be about the same speed for me when I play the same file from USB vs. streaming via DLNA. Once you press fast forward/rewind and the tv gets going (i.e. fast forward a few screen), you can press it again to make it faster (>>). After a few seconds, you can press a third time (>>>). The highest FF speed is not too bad IMO, but the problem is that the controls are not very responsive when it's fast forwarding and it takes me about 10 seconds to be able get to the fastest (>>>) mode (i.e. press FF, wait, press FF, wait, press FF again). It's also pretty hard to FF to a particular point in time because of this.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can't remove the black bars & zoom to fill the TV

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been answered. I tried searching everything I could, and couldn't find an answer..

When I push the 'Wide' button to zoom the image in while I'm watching something in 2.35:1 w/ black bars on the top / bottom, the image simply zooms in within the 2.35:1 area. It doesn't fill the screen to 16:9 like every other TV does.

This has happened while streaming through the Plex app, streaming to Chromecast, etc. The source has been 1080p.

Do I have a broken TV or is there something I can try? I'm tempted to just return the tv.

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Also, to note they removed the 4k version of Narcos. I haven't seen a reason posted as to why yet.
UHD Narcos reappeared last night.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
When I push the 'Wide' button to zoom the image in while I'm watching something in 2.35:1 w/ black bars on the top / bottom, the image simply zooms in within the 2.35:1 area. It doesn't fill the screen to 16:9 like every other TV does.
I've never tried that...but out of interest, why do you want to do such a thing? You do realize that to maintain the proper aspect ratio, when the TV expands (zooms) the image top to bottom to full the screen, it also has to expand the image past the left and right edges of your screen? You lose up to 1/3 of what you're watching when this happens...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have this problem with sports?

I have an M80-C3 and football looks terrible. I have tested it using the same Tivo recording and machine (Roamio 1 Pro) on my 1080p Panasonic TC-L55WT50 LCD and the live and recorded HD games look fine on the Panny and TERRIBLE on the Vizio.

I have messed with the picture settings - motion, judder, black, active LED, changed the HDMI input, etc. and nothing makes it look good. None of the "standard" modes solves the problem.

It's OK in a closeup of players that aren't moving but when it pans out the uniforms go blurry, lose detail and are almost reflective. Motion is terrible.

Other people here say football looks good on their sets. I don't know if it's the specific TV I have or could be a setting I'm not trying. I'm at a loss now, and am going to return it to Costco if I can't figure this out.

If anyone has any ideas I can try, I'm all ears. I hate to have to pack this thing up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have an M80-C3 and football looks terrible. I have tested it using the same Tivo recording and machine (Roamio 1 Pro) on my 1080p Panasonic TC-L55WT50 LCD and the live and recorded HD games look fine on the Panny and TERRIBLE on the Vizio.

I have messed with the picture settings - motion, judder, black, active LED, changed the HDMI input, etc. and nothing makes it look good. None of the "standard" modes solves the problem.

It's OK in a closeup of players that aren't moving but when it pans out the uniforms go blurry, lose detail and are almost reflective. Motion is terrible.

Other people here say football looks good on their sets. I don't know if it's the specific TV I have or could be a setting I'm not trying. I'm at a loss now, and am going to return it to Costco if I can't figure this out.

If anyone has any ideas I can try, I'm all ears. I hate to have to pack this thing up.
MTCO, my guess is its not Football, per se, but rather the channel/source for that particular game.. Ive seen football look great, and recently, the CBS game over the weekend looked terrible.. With mine, its not the tv; its the overly compressed cable signal, magnified, in your case, by going from 55" to 80. I'm sure youve seen by now that some cable/satellite/fiber channels look great, and some look terrible.. And its not just the channels.. Some shows within those channels look way better than others. This tv is outstanding with good, clean, 1080 content, and lousy with a noisy signal, especially on the larger sizes....

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've never tried that...but out of interest, why do you want to do such a thing? You do realize that to maintain the proper aspect ratio, when the TV expands (zooms) the image top to bottom to full the screen, it also has to expand the image past the left and right edges of your screen? You lose up to 1/3 of what you're watching when this happens...
When I'm watching TV in the family room, I'd like to sometimes just watch it at full screen. I have a dedicated home theater w/ a 156" cinemascope screen. When I really care about the movie I'm going to watch, I'll watch it there.

Would love if anyone is able to get rid of the black bars though... Maybe I'll have to call vizio support.

4341 - 4360 of 16436 Posts