AVS Forum banner

10241 - 10260 of 16449 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
How important is HDR?? When I look at this snap taken of a still frame on my M80, I'm not so sure. This is streamed 4k off the Roku 4 after it's routed thru a Pioneer AVR fed to the Vizio over a 35ft cable... (no enhancement to the image for saturation or contrast. )

10 or 12bit color depth seems more intriguing personally.

I can't wait to see what the Samsung 4k Bluray player does for this TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
How important is HDR?? When I look at this snap taken of a still frame on my M80, I'm not so sure. This is streamed 4k off the Roku 4 after it's routed thru a Pioneer AVR fed to the Vizio over a 35ft cable...

10 or 12bit color depth seems more intriguing personally.

I can't wait to see what the Samsung 4k Bluray player does for this TV.

This is always asked ;) take it from those that have seen it (and not even in "full" implementation. That it along with WCG are what will make the upgrade to a new TV "worth it". You'll often hear breathtaking, stunning, etc etc when people watch the content.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
This is always asked ;) take it from those that have seen it (and not even in "full" implementation. That it along with WCG are what will make the upgrade to a new TV "worth it". You'll often hear breathtaking, stunning, etc etc when people watch the content.

Sent from nowhere
Well, I'm grateful Vizio has done such a great job without it with this series. I'll be watching for the next great value from them. M100 w HDR and WCG for under $10k and I'm in.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
So at some point after turning off my Xbox One around 10 leaving for work, -'d turning it on just now walking in the door I got the update on my M65-C1

Attachments

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tmuka

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
So at some point after turning off my Xbox One around 10 leaving for work, -'d turning it on just now walking in the door I got the update on my M65-C1
Mine showed up today as well. I'd be curious to know what it addressed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
M60 owner here. Ordered a few weeks ago from Best Buy

Is this normal? Whenever the tv is off or in an unlit state, I notice that the screen is somewhat warped looking and wavy. The gallery wall behind the couch is actually the perfect frame of reference. I assure you the things on the wall don't look as they do in the reflection.

I have seen a few issues like thsi across other tvs in other forums, but not sure if this is just expected or something that is causing me to be underwhelmed by this tv. Overall Im pretty disappointed. Feel like my sharp 60" from 4 years ago had a nicer picture (and geez it was like 75% thinner too!)
As far as the way it looks "off".... I'd not worry about that right now, unless is causes some kind of anomaly in actual performance. Revisit that after you find settings that are to your liking. Then you can decide if you want to gamble on returning this one and maybe getting one that looks that looks better to your eyes. Vizio is pretty accommodating on getting people sets they are happy with.
Thanks for your note.

To be clear on the weird waviness, this is what I see when the TV is off or on, doesnt really matter. I want to make sure that the waviness isnt an indication of the panel or some other issue that maybe I'm missing or is causing other things to look worse.

----

Separate question, should my Xbox definitely be plugged into HDMI 5? I use the pass through on my Xbox to plug in my Apple TV. I use the Xbox to play netflix as well as watch the video apps that come on the xbox, and play games obviously. But from what I've ready maybe the video content played through HDMI5 don't look good? Can anyone provide some clear rules of thumb? I've read through a lot of this thread but jesus its long!

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Does anyone else find it curious that Vizio's spec on color shows 1.07b colors (10bit). I know these guys play loose with numbers but at least with the refresh rate they say "effective refresh rate". The color specs don't say "effective number of colors". Is this because it will do 10bit @1080p?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Thanks for your note.

To be clear on the weird waviness, this is what I see when the TV is off or on, doesnt really matter. I want to make sure that the waviness isnt an indication of the panel or some other issue that maybe I'm missing or is causing other things to look worse.

----

Separate question, should my Xbox definitely be plugged into HDMI 5? I use the pass through on my Xbox to plug in my Apple TV. I use the Xbox to play netflix as well as watch the video apps that come on the xbox, and play games obviously. But from what I've ready maybe the video content played through HDMI5 don't look good? Can anyone provide some clear rules of thumb? I've read through a lot of this thread but jesus its long!
Waviness.... When it's on, does the image itself look wavy or is this something in the glass? If it makes the image look abnormal, take it back for sure.

I haven't used the set for gaming much so I'll let the resident experts respond.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
If anyone is interested in the game Tom Clancy's The Division, Agent Origins is streaming in 4K on Amazon Prime. 31 minute origin story to the game.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine showed up today as well. I'd be curious to know what it addressed.
I got it on my m60-c3 tonight too!

I'm really impressed with the picture on this TV after calibration with my colormunki display and hcfr!

best black Friday deal ever!

I just read using the 11 point white balance can cause issues, I don't see them, anyone have more experience with that?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I got it on my m60-c3 tonight too!

I'm really impressed with the picture on this TV after calibration with my colormunki display and hcfr!

best black Friday deal ever!

I just read using the 11 point white balance can cause issues, I don't see them, anyone have more experience with that?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Unless the white balance bug was addressed in this latest firmware, it's true that it's unusable as is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Waviness.... When it's on, does the image itself look wavy or is this something in the glass? If it makes the image look abnormal, take it back for sure.

I haven't used the set for gaming much so I'll let the resident experts respond.
Thats the thing.. I can't really tell if its my mind playing tricks on me or what. Thats why I was hoping someone else had some feedback on what the reflection in their panel looks like. If no one else sees what I see, then maybe something is up.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
Reactions: tmuka

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Well, I'm grateful Vizio has done such a great job without it with this series. I'll be watching for the next great value from them. M100 w HDR and WCG for under $10k and I'm in.

Heh, not sure you'll ever see that ;) I do agree however Vizio did a great job with the 2014 P and 2105 M series sets.

The vaporware Vizio R series doesn't even meet HDR certifications of 1000 nits (it does 850 I believe).

So really you need to wait 2 years for a "real" HDR tv to even remotely be "affordable."

Not really vaporware if they are now shipping and being delivered. I think it (affordable HDR) will happen MUCH sooner than 2 years. Hisense, Shsrp, TCL all have affordable sets coming out that do HDR. I also strongly believe Vizio will "drop" a 2016 P or M series (an every other year upgrade cycle would make sense).

Is there a way to filter content by 4K on Prime?

You can't filter, just go down (way down) to the UHD content sections.

Sent from nowhere

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can't filter, just go down (way down) to the UHD content sections.
:face palm:

youre telling me the only 4k movies are the ones that have that little 'uhd' label on the top left corner?

yesterday i searched '4k' and watched interstellar cause it came up. thought it was 4k. now im watching hitch in 4k and it looks worse to me than interstellar which apparently wasnt even 4k :shrug:

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
:face palm:

youre telling me the only 4k movies are the ones that have that little 'uhd' label on the top left corner?

yesterday i searched '4k' and watched interstellar cause it came up. thought it was 4k. now im watching hitch in 4k and it looks worse to me than interstellar which apparently wasnt even 4k :shrug:
I haven't used Amazon, but Vudu's 4k encodes streamed via Vizio look pretty good. Netflix 4k stuff that looks really good: Marco Polo (and check out the one-off One Hundred Eyes). Chefs Table, The Blacklist, Daredevil

Ultraflix has a bunch of free stuff plus all the previews are in 4k. The newer movies look awesome.

Overall, the Via apps look better than the stuff I've streamed from the Roku 4 but you can't get DD+ out of your TV and back to the AVR.

10241 - 10260 of 16449 Posts