AVS Forum banner

10941 - 10960 of 16445 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Apologize if this has already been discussed but I can't search thread on the mobile version of this site. What size windows are to be used for calibration of the M55-C2 and M60-C3? Got my sets and plan to calibrate them using Colormunki and ColorHCFR.
I recommend calibrating with Active LED on. If you do so, you have to defeat the dimming by using 1% windows with a 100% white background. You can set HCFR's pattern generator to use those. Larger windows and/or darker background will mess up the gamma. Use "WLED" for correction pre-set. Good luck, and let us know your results.

Reactions: tmuka

·
Registered
253 Posts
Anyone seeing problems with the built in Hulu app?

I am using both a Roku and the built in apps for Hulu, same internet connection, same account, and the app on Roku works fine, but over the past week the built in app on the TV has stopped working. It will start to load but then stop.

On the Vizio web site they do acknowledge that the new Hulu system (released 22 January) has broken compatibility with many OLDER models of Vizio TV's (with no plan to fix it) but the 2015 M series was not listed as one of the TV's that has lost support.
I absolutely hate Hulu, I have had issues on 3 different TVs and bluray players, at 2 different households. Seems to work best on a webrowser like chrome. Id ditch it if there was a better alternative, the Tv app isnt worth a damn. They should be paying us to use this "Beta" app garbage, I will never recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
MPC-HC has resolution switching capability built-in, but I recommend using madVR as the renderer and letting that do the switching. You should play everything at its native frame rate, i.e. 24fps at 24Hz.

As for CUVID, it has isues and is not recommended in the LAV/madVR community. If you need hardware decoding, use DXVA2 copy-back (native also has issues).
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was using MadVr for a while but I tired of the Screen refreshing everytime I skipped to the next file, but I may just go back to using it again. If anyone is interested this is how I use it:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1357375-advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide.html

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I could care less about how SD channels look on my Vizio. I haven't watched SD channels in years. HD or better only.
I would agree with you, except sadly we still get SD channels here :(
I too try to avoid watching them if/when possible.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Well..... Looked for an m75 at BB... not in stock.... and no idea when they'll get more except that "its the end of the year and new models are coming out."

Then a few days later I said screw it...I'll get the 80 because its in stock..... EEEHHHH... not anymore. All 25 stores in my district don't have access to either the M75 or the M80....

BestBuy is my only option at the moment because I want to take advantage of the 24 month no interest. :(:(

I was looking at the JU7100 also but I don't think I can deal with any cloudy blacks.... I'm coming from a 50" KURO so it needs to be realistic color and have great blacks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Another question for the Nvidia Shield users.. Am I able to use a sound bar plugged to the TV and have the Nvidia shields apps play sound through that? Or does it have to be plugged to the Nvidia shield of some sort?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
If your sound bar supports 4K pass-through, I think the most versatile way is to connect it directly to the shield (shield > soundbar > TV).
Otherwise, you'll have to use either optical or ARC to connect your soundbar (shield > tv > soundbar). In this configuration you will only get stereo PCM, DD and DTS. You will not be able to get MPCM, DD+ or lossless surround audio (e.g. 5.1 Gamestream uses MPCM and the Netflinx app on the shield uses DD+ so these will be stereo only). On the other hand, your soundbar may not support DD+ or lossless surround anyway so it all depends.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The upscaling is garbage with the m series. Sony and Samsung do a much better job in that department.

IF you have the "opinion" that the M Series up-scaling is garbage, then, YOU have not seen the typical GREAT picture most ALL of the VIZIO sets are capable of with an OTA source... Like it is said, GARBAGE IN - GARBAGE OUT... so there... :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recommend calibrating with Active LED on. If you do so, you have to defeat the dimming by using 1% windows with a 100% white background. You can set HCFR's pattern generator to use those. Larger windows and/or darker background will mess up the gamma. Use "WLED" for correction pre-set. Good luck, and let us know your results.
I tried those settings too, but ended up preferring the results when I used rgb + led instead of wled corrections, which I thought referred to sets with an extra white subpixel, not the normal white led backlight under rgb subpixel. has anyone else tried both?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
IF you have the "opinion" that the M Series up-scaling is garbage, then, YOU have not seen the typical GREAT picture most ALL of the VIZIO sets are capable of with an OTA source... Like it is said, GARBAGE IN - GARBAGE OUT... so there... :)
That's why everyone's opinion is great, and just that, an opinion. I feel the days of a great OTA source surpassed us by years ago. Nearly all stations now have subchannels. And it just gets worse as people are buying bigger and bigger TVs.

That being said, Vizio is still the best value TV out there in my mind....but it has its short comings like all TVs these days. I have multiple Vizios in the house but my main TV is no longer a Vizio.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I absolutely hate Hulu, I have had issues on 3 different TVs and bluray players, at 2 different households. Seems to work best on a webrowser like chrome. Id ditch it if there was a better alternative, the Tv app isnt worth a damn. They should be paying us to use this "Beta" app garbage, I will never recommend it to anyone.
Hulu apps on the Roku3 and PS4 were a hot mess of bugginess for me. However, I haven't had any issues with the AppleTV3, Roku4 and Vizio app versions. I'm actually surprised by the snappiness of the Vizio apps in general compared considering most Bluray and TV apps were horribly slow in use.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I find it humorous when people talk about upscaling crappy sources. All HDTV's look like crap when dealing with crappy sources. So OK, lets say Sony makes a garbage source look 20% better than the Vizio. Do you still want to watch a garbage source even at 20% better ? How much time do you spend watching garbage sources ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
All are available on Blu-ray and are beautiful. Due to their age (all 1950s era films) I doubt 4K is a likely option in the future.
Ok fair enough, now I know better. That being said, would anyone really skip a Vizio M if the black bars where slightly not as black in those wide formats for 2-3 movies?? If it was common I would get the point but really?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Now that I have my M60 picture dialed-in and all good, I have another topic.

How long did it take for the new electronics smell to burn-off on your unit?

Last night the odor was pretty strong, but what's strange is I've had it for 5 days and its the first night I noticed it. I would have expected to smell it on day 1, not day 5, so I'm not sure why it popped up so late. It's the delayed appearance of it that makes me a little concerned. The smell comes from the top ridge vents, and I sit about 8-12 feet from the set depending on what seat I'm in. My last Vizio had no such burn-off, but I know some TVs can smell for a week or so.

The TV has probably run for 20 hours or so so far. It's just really kinda stinky.
This was one heck of while back but one member here did have quite an ordeal with burning smell and he was pretty much the only one. After yelling over the phone at Vizio, he eventually returned/replaced or go it fixed. Cant remember but it was a defect for sure.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Hulu apps on the Roku3 and PS4 were a hot mess of bugginess for me. However, I haven't had any issues with the AppleTV3, Roku4 and Vizio app versions. I'm actually surprised by the snappiness of the Vizio apps in general compared considering most Bluray and TV apps were horribly slow in use.

I was truly blown away too when I saw how fast youtube and especially Netflix apps can be. They actually stay active in the background so when you exit and go back again it is pretty much instantaneous!
MUCH faster than my Blu-ray or console apps and it may even beat my PC!:eek:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ok, how about something a bit different to post?

Believe it or not, I'm still not done with tweaking my M60 (I leave it for a while and eventually try something else). I said before but the main reason for this is that no settings are good all around. You find it to be perfect for a while, then you switch to a different type of viewing and all of a sudden you are kinda disappointed so you tweak AGAIN!

So anywho, I decided to turn off Low Black level again and that changes the colors a bit. Starting with overall color at 56, I went into CMS (gasp!:eek:) to tweak all individual colors in R, G and B mode but using only saturation and hue. What I ended up getting is almost perfect uniformity in all 3 color modes using Digital Essentials color pattern. Now I'm sure this gives an inaccurate result (although I have yet to truly understand why since the pattern looks as they say it should) but it seems to look quite good.

I'm not sure if the latest update has anything to do with it or I somehow nailed the sweet spot with gamma, colors and no low black level but I watched parts of the newest Transformers movie (bluray) and... :eek::eek::eek:

Now this particular movie was shot this way on purpose but everything looked damn near HDR! Colors of the bots (which are bright to start with) where incredibly vivid and blacks were darkest ink and yet it did not seem like any blacks were crushed nor was I missing shadow detail.

I watched this movie on this M60 before but I guess SOMETHING changed enough for me to be blown away a new!

And I realize more often now that when I do see something bad where it seems like the TV is just sucking, it is actually the source eventhough you'd think it can't be. Just as an example, the very opening of Beasts of no nation (with Idris Elba) on Netflix is an ugly brownish gray and you'd swear it SHOULD be ink black but nope, it's actually the movie, NOT the Tv!

So YAAAYYY for Vizio M, truly amazing picture. I guess the fact that it is mostly awesome makes those not so awesome moments stick out like a sore thumb but it turns out that a lot of it is the source:rolleyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ok fair enough, now I know better. That being said, would anyone really skip a Vizio M if the black bars where slightly not as black in those wide formats for 2-3 movies?? If it was common I would get the point but really?
Even 2.35:1 aspect ratio films are going to exhibit the letterbox bars; only 1.66:1 up to 1.85:1 ratios are going to have little to no letterbox bars visible. So a lot of movies on BD and 4K discs will not fill the screen.

Still, my Vizio M70-C3 offers very deep blacks on the bars thanks to the smart backlighting feature of the unit.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Ok, how about something a bit different to post?

Believe it or not, I'm still not done with tweaking my M60 (I leave it for a while and eventually try something else). I said before but the main reason for this is that no settings are good all around. You find it to be perfect for a while, then you switch to a different type of viewing and all of a sudden you are kinda disappointed so you tweak AGAIN!

So anywho, I decided to turn off Low Black level again and that changes the colors a bit. Starting with overall color at 56, I went into CMS (gasp!:eek:) to tweak all individual color in R, G and B mode but using only saturation and hue. What I ended up getting is almost perfect uniformity in all 3 color modes using Digital Essentials color pattern. Now I'm sure this gives an inaccurate result (although I have yet to truly understand why since the pattern looks as they say it should) but it seems to look quite good.

I'm not sure if the latest update has anything to do with it or I somehow nailed the sweet spot with gamma, colors and no low black level but I watched parts of the newest Transformers movie (bluray) and... :eek::eek::eek:

Now this particular movie was shot this way on purpose but everything looked damn near HDR! Colors of the bots (which are bright to start with) where incredibly vivid and blacks were darkest ink and yet it did not seem like any blacks were crushed nor was I missing shadow detail.

I watched this movie on this M60 before but I guess SOMETHING changed enough for me to be blown away a new!

And I realize more often now that when I do see something bad where it seems like the TV is just sucking, it is actually the source eventhough you'd think it can't be. Just as an example, the very opening of Beasts of no nation (with Idris Elba) on Netflix is an ugly brownish gray and you'd swear it SHOULD be ink black but nope, it's actually the movie, NOT the Tv!

So YAAAYYY for Vizio M, truly amazing picture. I guess the fact that it is mostly awesome makes those not so awesome moments stick out like a sore thumb but it turns out that a lot of it is the source:rolleyes:
I haven't calibrated beyond a few tweaks and I agree, Transformers is a bit of a benchmark for just how good this set can look with the best sources. I'm headed out to pickup an i1Display Pro this am. I plan to break the ice with calibration over the weekend. Look forward to squeezing more out of the M.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
3D LUT question.... is there anyway to run the LUT's inline between an AVR and the display (Vizio)? I realize these can live on a HTPC and work in conjunction with a medial player but what about hardware player signal chains?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Even 2.35:1 aspect ratio films are going to exhibit the letterbox bars; only 1.66:1 up to 1.85:1 ratios are going to have little to no letterbox bars visible. So a lot of movies on BD and 4K discs will not fill the screen.

Still, my Vizio M70-C3 offers very deep blacks on the bars thanks to the smart backlighting feature of the unit.
The black bars in 2.35:1 are ink black, that was clear from the start with these Vizios. My understanding is that question was if the wider ratios would have bars that are less black due to the number of zones of LEDs. Like if they don't line up nice with 2.85:1 ratio and you get just the bottom/top of the bars to be truly black. I thought that was the concern because black bars are PERFECT with 2.35:1

10941 - 10960 of 16445 Posts