AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Have you seen any information about when these TVs will hit the shelves in the stores? I want to get several of the 55” sets for a new house we are moving to at the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Have you seen any information about when these TVs will hit the shelves in the stores? I want to get several of the 55” sets for a new house we are moving to at the end of the month.
Costco has the New M series now. But the specs are the same as the 2014 P series so I would purchase the P for double the FALD zones.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
There is some fascinating information on the Vizio compare page. For instance.

http://www.vizio.com/tvs.html

1. There is an E55-C1 and an E55-C2. The biggest difference seems to be power consumption of 59.3w and 40.32w respectively. However, the E55-C2 appears to have a 15w instead of 10w speaker. Both are the same price and have 178 degree viewing angles with 12 active LED Zones.

2. It appears that the 55” M series is a slightly stripped down 2014 P series. The new “M” tv has 32 zones instead of 64 for the old P series. The M series is 120 Hz instead of 240 Hz and it is Clear action 360 instead of 960. In addition the DR is listed as 20 million to 1 instead of 50 million to one for the old P series. I think most of these specs are just marketing speak but the old P series does appear to be the better choice at the same price. The power consumption is 244 Kwh for the new M series vs. 210w for the old P series.

3. The E40-C2 appears to have two degrees more viewing angle and billions of colors as opposed to millions of colors for the E40x-C2 and E43-C2. I still think the E43-C2 is a bargain of a TV and I plan on buying 3 of those.

4. The E55-C1 and E55-C2 are differentiated by 15w speakers for the C2 and 10w speakers for the C1. The power consumption for the C2 is 40.32 and 59.30 for the C1. It looks like the C2 is always the better option since they are the same price.

In my opinion it looks like Vizio concentrated on bringing the power consumption down for the 2015 models. That may be the reason why the newer models all have less zones.

·
Registered
709 Posts
What's a bit disappointing (or disconcerting) to me is that they appear to be taking the 2014 P-series out of circulation with the release of the new M-series (at least, most retail stores aren't stocking the P-series any longer, and recently had closeout pricing on most of them), but have no information about when a new P-series will be released (presumably in the Fall, like in 2014). That leaves a 3-6 month gap for anyone looking for the specs of the P-series.

While I understand that they would be hard-pressed to move many P-series models once the new M-series went to 4K at cheaper price point ($100 or more price differential, depending on model... People are dumb, panicky animals, after all), I would think that there would still be some demand for the P-level feature set for the non-bleeding-edge adopters. We may like to joke that "I'll wait 6 months to see what the next model brings," that's usually a buyer's choice, or a choice based on juxtaposed release schedules, rather than a choice forced upon the buyers by a manufacturer only selling a particular product line 6 months of the year.

Or is this the new trend? Create three product lines: Flagship, Prosumer, Consumer (R, P, and M; 950, 850, 800; etc.) and rather than selling all three lines year-round, only sell the Consumer year-round?

Then stop selling the Prosumer model once the Consumer is upgraded with 60% of the Prosumer's feature set, then 6 months later release a new Flagship and Prosumer model where the Prosumer has 60% of last year's Flagship feature set and 20% of this year's Flagship feature set (and 20% of last year's Prosumer feature set), and the Flagship has all the bells and whistles there are to offer? The Flagship can be sold year-round because you never plan to sell out of them anyway (as Halo products usually go), but the Prosumer will be a limited-production model that satiates some of the budget-minded early adopters?

I suppose my beef is that, if they're planning on updating the P-series, what are the new specs? If there aren't any new specs, why can't I buy the existing model any more? The M-series is clearly not a replacement for the P-series, either.

I also agree with others that question the need for a 49" and a 50". It's not like there's a luxury tax based on screen size, where 49" is some sort of magical cutoff to avoid excess fees or something.

So frustratingly confusing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.