AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 6407 Posts

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Fair to say Ray the last issue on your plate now is the dimming then? Which hopefully Samsung will fix with an update down the road.

Yes, the dimming needs to be improved. Leds aren't dimming down low enough when they should. Otherwise, no major complaints.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The motion issues I was seeing on 4k blu ray are now showing up on the tvs built in app system. Gonna do a factory reset later. Curious if my motion processor is defective in some way. When I get time I'll try to post a video.
Ray,
I have the exact issue and it started first while watching 4K and Blu-Ray movies. Then the build in Apps like Netflix and Vudu and now on DirecTV.
I have done two factory resets from the Technician service menu and still can't get it fixed. I'm also having an issue with the Vudu App. It works fine for a few days and all of sudden I get a message saying "error please try again later". The only fix was to do an Apps reset from the service menu.
I own a few of Samsung's flagship products but this is the first one that I have an issue with.
Can't wait for the replacement set on Saturday but it's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Need to Decided soon!

So my JS9500 started having flickering issues recently and now that samsung has established its a one off issue, they will either refund the money, or try to fix it with a new panel for the 4th time! OR just replace it with a KS9800.

Hopefully, Ray and others with a JS9500 can chime in let me know if it'll be better in terms of shear picture quality and especially black levels. I absolutely love my JS9500 and wouldn't really want to get rid of it but I never watch 3D and if the PQ is even slightly better, why not upgrade.

I am just afraid to make a switch since the tv is so new there arent very many reviews out there (or calibration settings) or even units to test any major issues if there are any. Please help me decide whether to have samsung try fixing the js9500 again, or just replace it with KS900. Thanks!

PS: One ****ty thing the samsung person did was offer me the KS9500 to begin with since the numbers are the same but I said NO NO NO, that's a Edge lit model and I want the 9800 which is equivalent of the JS9500 but If I didnt know any better, I'd be downgrading to 9500:mad:

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Ray,
I have the exact issue and it started first while watching 4K and Blu-Ray movies.
Do you have it set to auto with led clear motion off? That worked best for me today when I was fiddling with it.

So my JS9500 started having flickering issues recently and now that samsung has established its a one off issue, they will either refund the money, or try to fix it with a new panel for the 4th time! OR just replace it with a KS9800.

Hopefully, Ray and others with a JS9500 can chime in let me know if it'll be better in terms of shear picture quality and especially black levels. I absolutely love my JS9500 and wouldn't really want to get rid of it but I never watch 3D and if the PQ is even slightly better, why not upgrade.

I am just afraid to make a switch since the tv is so new there arent very many reviews out there (or calibration settings) or even units to test any major issues if there are any. Please help me decide whether to have samsung try fixing the js9500 again, or just replace it with KS900. Thanks!

PS: One ****ty thing the samsung person did was offer me the KS9500 to begin with since the numbers are the same but I said NO NO NO, that's a Edge lit model and I want the 9800 which is equivalent of the JS9500 but If I didnt know any better, I'd be downgrading to 9500:mad:

The dimming needs some tweaking, samsung is aware of the issue, but did not specify if they plan to fix/improve it.

Overall I like the ks9800 better. More vibrant and brighter, and I like hdr+. I'm gonna do some serious side by sides after my family goes back to Florida next week. I'm eager to do it now but I can't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you have it set to auto with led clear motion off? That worked best for me today when I was fiddling with it.

The dimming needs some tweaking, samsung is aware of the issue, but did not specify if they plan to fix/improve it.

Overall I like the ks9800 better. More vibrant and brighter, and I like hdr+. I'm gonna do some serious side by sides after my family goes back to Florida next week. I'm eager to do it now but I can't.
Yes I do.
I have it set on Auto with the judder, blur and led clear motion is grayed out. I even tried it with it on and messing with the judder and blur settings. No improvement. Like I said, it started minor and gotten worst over the days. We havent put many hours on the set since we had it installed two weeks ago. I'm really hoping it's just a bad motion processor. I also noticed a minor light bleed in the corners but it goes away with the Smart LED setting turned to low or high.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts

I heard the same issue in a review of the tv about local dimming, Would you say the issue is still better or worse compared to JS9500's local dimming which is fantastic to say the least?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I heard the same issue in a review of the tv about local dimming, Would you say the issue is still better or worse compared to JS9500's local dimming which is fantastic to say the least?

About the same, at times its worse because it's not working properly. For example there's a couple of loading screens where the dimming isn't activated at all. Netflix loading screen comes to mind. It needs some tweaking via FW.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts

The tv handles hdr better tho. Less clipping, way more detail in bright areas. The js9500 blows out highlights with dynamic contrast on high, much less on the ks9800 on high and other settings too. So it goes brighter while showing more detail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HDR+ works with all content...from SDR to 4K UHD HDR.

So I understand you correctly..You got a new tv delivered and leave it boxed up for several weeks???

I just read samsung is releasing a Dolby Atmos soundbar real soon..That would be awesome with this tv if you're into soundbars...

Myself I have a Denon 6200W which handles all my sound, never use the tv sound.
Yea, I don't wanna take it out set it up then have to move it all over again. I need to take it out of the box atleast and see if there is any defects with it. The Samsung dolby atmos soundbar is going to be awesome but i just can't see dropping 1,500$ on a sound bar.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
From 4k.com

Finally, despite offering up a full-array LED backlighting system behind its screen, the KS9800 could still use some improvement in the quality of its local dimming technology. Yes, the local dimming of this TV is quite good and definitely far better than the local dimming of the edge-lit KS9500 but we expected even better than what the KS9800 delivers, especially when we compare the quality of this spec in this TV to the local dimming of the much cheaper 2016 Vizio P-Series 4K HDR TV models, which also come with full-array LED backlighting. For truly rich deep blacks, local dimming is in fact best left turned off in the KS9800 since it heavily reduced black level maximums.

Did they just say to turn off the local dimming off, thus defeating the entire purpose of FALD?:confused:

·
Vendor
26,647 Posts
Yea, I don't wanna take it out set it up then have to move it all over again. I need to take it out of the box atleast and see if there is any defects with it. The Samsung dolby atmos soundbar is going to be awesome but i just can't see dropping 1,500$ on a sound bar.
There is NO question about that, there are way better sound bars out there for that kinda bread !!

·
Registered
684 Posts
There is NO question about that, there are way better sound bars out there for that kinda bread !!
A bit off topic here on Soundbars, but I think he was referring to Samsung's new HW-K950 ATMOS Soundbar,

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-hw-k950-dolby-atmos-sound-bar/

which (while expensive) is more than just a soundbar. The curved J-8500 soundbar which had an MSRP of $1299 has been slashed to what appears to be a closeout price of $449.

I assume the ATMOS design can not be produced in a curved configuration as it is a straight build like any other soundbar. I really liked the idea of a curved soundbar matched with a curved set. Given Samsung's flagship TV line are all curved, it seems odd they would want to pair them with a straight soundbar, as the curved looked so much better.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Ray,
I have the exact issue and it started first while watching 4K and Blu-Ray movies. Then the build in Apps like Netflix and Vudu and now on DirecTV.
I have done two factory resets from the Technician service menu and still can't get it fixed. I'm also having an issue with the Vudu App. It works fine for a few days and all of sudden I get a message saying "error please try again later". The only fix was to do an Apps reset from the service menu.
I own a few of Samsung's flagship products but this is the first one that I have an issue with.
Can't wait for the replacement set on Saturday but it's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.
From 4k.com

Finally, despite offering up a full-array LED backlighting system behind its screen, the KS9800 could still use some improvement in the quality of its local dimming technology. Yes, the local dimming of this TV is quite good and definitely far better than the local dimming of the edge-lit KS9500 but we expected even better than what the KS9800 delivers, especially when we compare the quality of this spec in this TV to the local dimming of the much cheaper 2016 Vizio P-Series 4K HDR TV models, which also come with full-array LED backlighting. For truly rich deep blacks, local dimming is in fact best left turned off in the KS9800 since it heavily reduced black level maximums.

Did they just say to turn off the local dimming off, thus defeating the entire purpose of FALD?:confused:

Someone posted this review a few weeks ago.

4k.com has the worst reviews, they usually are fake with stolen info from other sites. They can't be taken seriously at all when they recommend turning FALD off lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
Someone posted this review a few weeks ago.

4k.com has the worst reviews, they usually are fake with stolen info from other sites. They can't be taken seriously at all when they recommend turning FALD off lol

My pre-order is delayed again by at least week....

Time to reconsider my options and perhaps not cancel altogether and wait for the incoming Sony...??

Those issues reported by Ray do not help with making the right decision.

Also the German owners are reporting issues with the tv.

I have never seen so many reported issues on a tv with so few owners....

I'm still very satisfied with my JS9500 so I do not want to abandon Samsung but that was almost 2 times as expensive so perhaps better build quality and QC last year??

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have never seen so many reported issues on a tv with so few owners....
Except for the OLED threads.....

OK....I guess that was a bit snarky. I think what we are seeing here is the result of production that was behind schedule. Sales agreements had been made and they weren't able to roll these out as fast as expected. (My local Best Buy still only has a display model in stock). I'm guessing a decision was made to get these sets out the door ASAP because the issues that have come up can be fixed later with firmware. Just a guess, but we are now in the latter half of the year and I'll bet there was a lot of pressure to get these out.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
My pre-order is delayed again by at least week....

Time to reconsider my options and perhaps not cancel altogether and wait for the incoming Sony...??

Those issues reported by Ray do not help with making the right decision.

Also the German owners are reporting issues with the tv.

What issues are the Germans reporting?

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I noticed tonight that the blacks/dimming for Netflix works much better through my samsung k8500 4k player than the built in tv app. For example the netflix loading screens on the built in tv is completely gray and cloudy as if the dimming is turned off. On the k8500, the loading page is jet black.

Also watched the Revenant earlier today on the ks9800. This is the type of movie that really shines on this tv because of the bright full screen ability. Looked very good on js9500, but up a few notches on the ks9800, really happy with that performance.

381 - 400 of 6407 Posts