AVS Forum banner

4461 - 4480 of 6409 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thankyou. Sorry for the question, but how do we know what "Native" is supposed to be? if it's the native resolution of the panel (and this is somewhere between rec.709 and the theoretical rec.2020), what does "correcting" it involve? Is it getting the red on an imaginary line between rec.709 red and rec.2020 red? Repeat for all the others?

page 3 of your nice PDF - I assume shows a "after calibration" set of readings. Perhaps if we could see a "before" image it may be clearer?

thanks again :)
No worries. I will attempt to answer your question with what I think I know but I am by no means an expert at this stuff. I am basically doing what you said where I'm trying to line up the lines and dot of each color with the four boxes of each color and have all the lines intersect at the D65 white point. If someone that knows better sees that something is incorrect here please chime in because I don't want to spread inaccurate information and I'm here to learn as well :).

The attached pdf has the results of my best attempt to calibrate using the Native color space and also the Custom color space calibration. The two rows to look at on the number charts are Delta E and delta luminance. It is my understanding that the closer to zero the better for these numbers. I'm sure there's more to it than that but this is probably considered a very basic calibration. Comparing the two charts and graphs can give you an idea of how "off" my best attempt with the Native color space was.

Oh, and the bigger triangle is supposed to be a representation of the range of DCI-P3 colors. This TV doesn't quite get there though.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its bc these settings are only meant to give you the broader color spectrum but are way too dim for a true or close to true HDR representation. Not sure why but thats the way poster has always approached HDR+ feature (not very accurate). I personally keep the BL at 7 and Contrast at 85... much closer to the way real HDR looks.
You are correct about my intentions. My main goal was always to keep the appearance of mid to low brightness scenes as close to my preferred SDR picture as possible while taking advantage of the wider color range and HDR effect provided by HDR+. The HDR effect of HDR+ is actually two-fold, at least. There is luminance boost that allows for higher light output and then there's an effect in which the TV identifies what could be a specular highlight and temporarily expands it to make it pop. This can sometimes cause artifacts or flickering but I don't think it's that bad. I don't get the added intensity that comes with the higher light output but the highlight effect is still there. I mean there is still a boost in light output but not as much as a higher setting.

I get no specular highlights with Contrast at 60 and BL at 8, it would need to be like 13 or 14 BL. And yes, Smart LED is on High and Dynamic Contrast always Off as it clips details.
Yeah, the Contrast set to 60 sounds weird but it seems to be a quirk of the HDR+ mode where that setting gives you the highest peak output for a given midrange ouptut, at least on my TV. For example, when I set my BL to 7 and Contrast to 85 my TV outputs 72 nits on a 50% gray test pattern and 423 nits on a 100% one. Now when I set the Contrast to 60 I have to set the BL to 14 to get the 72 nit output on 50% pattern but the output on the 100% pattern is now 443 nits. I ran a battery of tests to be sure and 60 Contrast always had the highest peak output for a given mid output. Strange, right? Now 20 nits is not something I would necessarily consider a game changer but I figure every little bit helps, yeah :)?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
PS: is anybody getting HDR10 on Vudu on our sets? When I play UHD movies, it shows an HDR icon up top but doesn't actually kick in HDR...
Or do I need to get a Roku Ultra now? Comon Samsung ur getting left behind!

·
Registered
994 Posts
This tv is at a very attractive price right now.. Iam very close to purchasing.I've read the first 111 pages among with most of the last month's with.. My question is have they fixed all the minor stuff that was present before update 1133? Like the local dimming problems? I believe some one had some issues With HDR for gaming.. Which would be 90% of my use. The rest would be football. I'm torn between getting the 65 ks9800 because of how cheap$ it has gotten or the 75xbr900e of the price drops close to $2000. Thanks for any and all input..I'm coming from a 65 inch Panasonic plasma for 2011. Part of me thinks. The 75 Sony would trump the better picture of the 65 ks9800.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Or do I need to get a Roku Ultra now? Comon Samsung ur getting left behind!
HDR10 on Vudu is available on 2016 Samsung TVs, but only for new purchases, it seems.
When you say new, do u mean all new releases or new purchaes made by me moving forward? If its the later id be super pissed as ive alrrady paid for those movies once.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
No worries. I will attempt to answer your question with what I think I know but I am by no means an expert at this stuff. I am basically doing what you said where I'm trying to line up the lines and dot of each color with the four boxes of each color and have all the lines intersect at the D65 white point. If someone that knows better sees that something is incorrect here please chime in because I don't want to spread inaccurate information and I'm here to learn as well :).

The attached pdf has the results of my best attempt to calibrate using the Native color space and also the Custom color space calibration. The two rows to look at on the number charts are Delta E and delta luminance. It is my understanding that the closer to zero the better for these numbers. I'm sure there's more to it than that but this is probably considered a very basic calibration. Comparing the two charts and graphs can give you an idea of how "off" my best attempt with the Native color space was.

Oh, and the bigger triangle is supposed to be a representation of the range of DCI-P3 colors. This TV doesn't quite get there though.

I hope this helps.
Thankyou yes it does. In your last sentence I think - you are targeting the DCI-P3 then, and trying to get as close to that (or as wide a triangle that you can) for the HDR+ mode with SDR content.

btw I've got fw 1208.2 today. Cal-Night HDR switching is still broken, sorry.

·
Registered
994 Posts
This tv is at a very attractive price right now.. Iam very close to purchasing.I've read the first 111 pages among with most of the last month's with.. My question is have they fixed all the minor stuff that was present before update 1133? Like the local dimming problems? I believe some one had some issues With HDR for gaming.. Which would be 90% of my use. The rest would be football. I'm torn between getting the 65 ks9800 because of how cheap$ it has gotten or the 75xbr900e of the price drops close to $2000. Thanks for any and all input..I'm coming from a 65 inch Panasonic plasma for 2011. Part of me thinks. The 75 Sony would trump the better picture of the 65 ks9800.

Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,470
Thankyou yes it does. In your last sentence I think - you are targeting the DCI-P3 then, and trying to get as close to that (or as wide a triangle that you can) for the HDR+ mode with SDR content.

btw I've got fw 1208.2 today. Cal-Night HDR switching is still broken, sorry.
CalNight broken on mine also after 1208.2 update. I doubt Samsung will ever fix it.

Reactions: jeep05

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Anyone? Bueller?
I got mine before labor day and have 0 issues with local dimming. Inky blacks! Football looks great, of course depending on the broadcast and cameras used. This will be the better choice than the 900e. Both in black level, brightness, and color performance. Its a steal at the current price unless you just want the bigger size IMO

·
Registered
994 Posts

Anyone? Bueller?
I got mine before labor day and have 0 issues with local dimming. Inky blacks! Football looks great, of course depending on the broadcast and cameras used. This will be the better choice than the 900e. Both in black level, brightness, and color performance. Its a steal at the current price unless you just want the bigger size IMO
Thanks for the response. Do you think it is worth $300 more then the x900e black Friday price?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Anyone? Bueller?
Thanks for the response. Do you think it is worth $300 more then the x900e black Friday price?
The 65? Absolutely.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ill have to check it out. Does it look better then on your chromecast?
I won't be home til 8pm EST. It was announced on the official YouTube TV 4k.com Twitter channel this afternoon.
I gave it a spin. Out of sling, directtv now, and this one direct has the best pq out of them. But none come close to cable/sat from what i see.. maybe down the road

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I gave it a spin. Out of sling, directtv now, and this one direct has the best pq out of them. But none come close to cable/sat from what i see.. maybe down the road
I feed it through my Oppo for some additional processing, and the Google chromecast also upscales it to 4k automatically also. I find it to be hit and miss when comparing it to cable for me. Some things are sharper and some have streaming artifacts.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
@kbyakko I really like your new calibrated Custom colourspace for [HDR+ mode with SDR content] from the other day. (Even though of course you have a different panel and model so what I have isn't a calibration). Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm watching Episode 3 ("Coral Reefs") of Blue Planet 2 from the BBC in this mode and it looks absolutely gorgeous, stunning colours. This is upscaled from HD to 4K and upscaled from SDR in this HDR+ mode. If it's released on UHD Blu-Ray - sorry, when! - I think people will like it!

·
Registered
205 Posts
@kbyakko I really like your new calibrated Custom colourspace for [HDR+ mode with SDR content] from the other day. (Even though of course you have a different panel and model so what I have isn't a calibration). Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm watching Episode 3 ("Coral Reefs") of Blue Planet 2 from the BBC in this mode and it looks absolutely gorgeous, stunning colours. This is upscaled from HD to 4K and upscaled from SDR in this HDR+ mode. If it's released on UHD Blu-Ray - sorry, when! - I think people will like it!
I'm glad that the settings work well on your TV. It's pretty cool that we are still getting improvements to our TVs over a year after they came out.

4461 - 4480 of 6409 Posts