AVS Forum banner

6441 - 6460 of 6470 Posts

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Further adjustments to the SM White Balances got the 2 Point almost down to all zeros tonight
Tomorrow, will fine tune and complete some of the further calibrations. Takes about a week to get everything completed.
Looking good !

Reactions: Gabor94 and jeep05

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Additional note for Canadians: turned on the TV Plus in the service Menu - no difference - Samsung Canada too cheap to let us have it on these sets.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Further adjustments to the SM White Balances got the 2 Point almost down to all zeros tonight
Tomorrow, will fine tune and complete some of the further calibrations. Takes about a week to get everything completed.
Looking good !
It’s great to read this that you’ve found settings that further increase image quality. I know we’ve talked before that you don’t use HDR and SDR game modes, but would you do us a favor by doing an accurate calibration on it too, because I’m planning to get the Play Station 5 and I’d be happy to have a fresh HDR - SDR settings for game modes.
I use HDMI 1 for the game console. Do you think this is the right HDMI port for gaming? Samsung suggested this to me in the past, but I’ve seen you have different ports use different settings for accurate colors and image quality.
I hope you can help us with this.
Thank you in advance! Good health and have a nice day!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just like a new, much improved TV after the following:

# 1 Did a SM SVC Reset
# 2 Adjusted the SM White Balance Offsets and Gains to give better Normal Menu 2 Point values after calibrating
# 3 Complete re-calibration
# 4 Will wait a few days for values to settle down and fine tune

Colors more vivid, and solid. Much better sharpness. As previously mentioned, this set continues to improve PQ wise with each new calibration. Will continue to try to get set to were the 2 Point Values are all almost all Zeros.

Problem when trying to set the SM White Balance for the Normal Menu 2 Point is the set going into Dynamic Mode for the SM and returning back to Normal viewing. It heats up the panel, which in turn throws off the scans. Will have to do one step at a time now that the major changes have been done.

2 Point before the above: -25 / 1 / 5 : -12 / 0 / -5 After - Current results: -2 / 0 / -6 : 1 / 0 / 3 (Work in progress)
I have never had the TVs calibrated. The set is working great(other than no TV Plus), but I wonder if there could be any improvement in picture quality by restoring the tv to its original settings and performing the initial setup again. Or do the risks of doing this out of warranty outweigh any minor picture improvement?

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Note: DO NOT GO INTO THE SERVICE MENU IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING !!!
Secondly, this was the SM White Balance Factory Default values:
128 128 128 123 128 143 resulting in the last calibrated results: of -25 / 1 / 5 : -12 / 0 / -5. If your results were not close to these results, then the new settings will not do your set any good compared to mine..

Intermediate results: 132 128 134 111 128 138 resulted in: -2 / 0 / -6 : 1 / 0 / 3

Current results: 132 128 132 112 128 137 resulted in: -2 / 0 / 0 : -1 / 0 / 3 - so much better.

Back in the old days, White Balances and 2 Point were almost click for click in step. No longer, plus what goes up in one may go up or down in the other - why you cannot eyeball it !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Note: DO NOT GO INTO THE SERVICE MENU IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING !!!
Secondly, this was the SM White Balance Factory Default values:
128 128 128 123 128 143 resulting in the last calibrated results: of -25 / 1 / 5 : -12 / 0 / -5. If your results were not close to these results, then the new settings will not do your set any good compared to mine..

Intermediate results: 132 128 134 111 128 138 resulted in: -2 / 0 / -6 : 1 / 0 / 3

Current results: 132 128 132 112 128 137 resulted in: -2 / 0 / 0 : -1 / 0 / 3 - so much better.

Back in the old days, White Balances and 2 Point were almost click for click in step. No longer, plus what goes up in one may go up or down in the other - why you cannot eyeball it !
So let's make this clear how is it? I know all the settings in the service menu. Do I overwrite these values with white balance for all image modes? So, for example, does this result in an improvement in both SDR-HDR game mode and movie mode? How is it now I do not understand exactly.
Would you describe it please step by step? Which picture mode are affected by these changes if I overwrite the values in the service menu?

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
White Balances are for SDR.
HDR settings are buried way down in the SM vaults, and should NOT be played with.
Once White Balances and 2 Point are, more or less, balanced out, then proceed with standard calibration procedures.
NOTE: How much of the improvements can be made of the SVC Reset - this is unknown since the Reset and the White Balance adjustments were made at the same time.
Note: Due to an uptick in computer repairs coming into my shop, this will delay my overall calibrations. It takes time to calibrate things right, and is usually done after midnight.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Would be nice for Samsung to give us Canadians, some Canadian Apps since it is a Canadian TV we have - hint to Samsung! Lots of Apps there now !
TV Plus keeps popping up with the odd item now and then. Some you can click on, others - nothing. Another hint Samsung - either give us the whole TV Plus, or take away and stop messing with out heads !

Reactions: jeep05

·
Registered
227 Posts
It still blows my mind that the Samsung “executive” email response to me was that all Canadian sets have the capability to access TV Plus and so there must be something wrong with my set. Have you tried to complain to their email customer service? Perhaps if more people do they will assign a software engineer to fix this thing once and for all for everybody.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Samsung doesn't give a hoot after a set is over 2 years old - their response - buy a newer model !

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
New Yamaha RX-V6a arrived today, so I can finish up the calibrations. Supposedly a cleaner, sharper PQ, so I'll assume the patterns will be better to deal with, and I'll get better results.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Samsung doesn't give a hoot after a set is over 2 years old - their response - buy a newer model !
Yep and my newer model won't be a Samsung just because of their poor customer service and write-off of current owners.

Congrats on the new toy!! That is one nice looking AVR.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Also nice when everyone chips in to buy it for me for Christmas !
HDMI 1 calibrated last night. Fine tune tonight, and then onto HDMI 2.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
No it doesn't. Only the newer 2019 2020 Models do depending on the Model FW available.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
NOTE: This posting comes with a warning - do not try if in unfamiliar territory !
A SM SRVC Reset was done before starting.

My TV has the SM values changed from Factory Original 128 128 128 123 128 143
to 132 128 132 112 128 137 to give HDMI 4 2 Point settings much closer to all zeros.
(Old 2 Point Red Offset was up to -25 and increasing)

If any issues - before hand - please PM me and I'll try to answer you.

Attachments

Reactions: Gabor94

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
This is a courtesy posting. They are for my TV and settings.

WARNING!
Do NOT attempt to change SM values !
# 1 If not familiar with working in the SM.
# 2 If your previous settings were no where close to mine.

All HDR and USB/APP values can only be changed with appropriate video running.
For TV Mode, try any of the 3 HDMI or USB/APP Input Values and suit to taste.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Has anyone actually tried the settings, and have them work for them? Results better, or worse ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Haven't been here in a while. Any significant changes with the latest firmwares? Cal-night still broken? Game mode SDR/HDR was already fixed right? I'm still on 1180.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
6441 - 6460 of 6470 Posts