4021 - 4040 of 8157 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally got the tv and did some internal network speeds.

First thing I noticed is that Wireless (AC) is faster than Ethernet. Did Sony fit a megabit ethernet adapter rather than a gigabit one... oh dear :/

Anyone noticed this or is it just me?
I can confirm that it's not a gigabit connection, it's a 100base TX, very disappointed, especially since wireless (AC) is faster.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can confirm that it's not a gigabit connection, it's a 100base TX, very disappointed, especially since wireless (AC) is faster.
You do understand that even at 100mbps, there is more than enough bandwidth to support anything you can stream/download from the TV? That's 4x the recommended rate for 4K Netflix. Said another way, a gigabit port on the TV would serve no purpose other than bragging.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
In HDR mode, should the brightness be set the same as I have it in non-HDR modes? I would assume that would keep most darker colors at the same brightness while the TV would still allow the brighter highlights to be displayed properly, correct?

I guess I'm asking more in the sense of a proper calibration than people's preferences.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
You do understand that even at 100mbps, there is more than enough bandwidth to support anything you can stream/download from the TV? That's 4x the recommended rate for 4K Netflix. Said another way, a gigabit port on the TV would serve no purpose other than bragging.

Jeff
Jeff, ordinarily I would agree. However, my Apple TV 4th Generation only has a 100 Mbit port, and it sometimes buffers when playing 720p .mp4 content from my NAS, all wired ethernet connections. Whenever a video scene is very busy or complex, it appears the peak bitrates are stressing the 100 Mbit connection. I get an error message on the Apple TV that my network connection is not fast enough.

Now, it also has AC wifi. So I disconnected the ethernet jack, changed to AC wifi, and I am now getting a steady 500 Mbits/sec connection from my router. Guess what? No more buffering that I have seen yet. :)

So it would seem that Sony should have put a gigabit port on the TV too, to cope with occasional bursty data peaks in the signal.

Craig.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Jeff, ordinarily I would agree. However, my Apple TV 4th Generation only has a 100 Mbit port, and it sometimes buffers when playing 720p .mp4 content from my NAS, all wired ethernet connections. Whenever a video scene is very busy or complex, it appears the peak bitrates are stressing the 100 Mbit connection. I get an error message on the Apple TV that my network connection is not fast enough.

Now, it also has AC wifi. So I disconnected the ethernet jack, changed to AC wifi, and I am now getting a steady 500 Mbits/sec connection from my router. Guess what? No more buffering that I have seen yet. :)

So it would seem that Sony should have put a gigabit port on the TV too, to cope with occasional bursty data peaks in the signal.

Craig.
Sounds like you have some other issue with your ethernet. No 720p encode has peak bitrates higher than 100mbps.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts

Craig.
Sounds like you have a problem in your wired network. I see this a lot in residential networks where any number of problems can crop up. Could be that you have a switch that is not capable of full duplex to wiring that is faulty e.g. is poorly terminated. The difficulty in diagnosing this is that unlike enterprise switches, it can be difficult to determine where your faults are.

A 100Mbps connection far exceeds any commercial bit rate encoding. Blu-ray maxes at 40Mbps, and while a 4K Blu-ray could technically exceed 100Mbps, there isn't anything out there that currently does.

I'd take a hard look at your wired network. Something is up if you are having problems. Are you making use of any other bridging technologies e.g. MOCA, Ethernet over power, etc? The simplest test is to get a long ethernet cable and connect directly from the same 11.AC router to the AppleTV, bypassing everything else.

Jeff

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys. I bought the 65X930D last week. I'm still in awe with the picture to say the least. I am stumped with one issue however. The audio will not work unless I am watching DirecTv. If I turn on one of the Apps such as Netflix I have to manually go to the TV settings and change the speaker output to the TV in order to hear anything. What am I missing? See my details below. Any help would be much appreciated.
The wiring is pretty straight forward. HDMI from DTV into Yamaha and HDMI out of Yamaha into Sony.

TV
Sony XBR-65X930D

A/V Reciever
Yamaha RX-V677

DirecTv Genie

Speakers
Focal Aria 900 Series

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey guys. I bought the 65X930D last week. I'm still in awe with the picture to say the least. I am stumped with one issue however. The audio will not work unless I am watching DirecTv. If I turn on one of the Apps such as Netflix I have to manually go to the TV settings and change the speaker output to the TV in order to hear anything. What am I missing? See my details below. Any help would be much appreciated.

The wiring is pretty straight forward. HDMI from DTV into Yamaha and HDMI out of Yamaha into Sony.

TV

Sony XBR-65X930D

A/V Reciever

Yamaha RX-V677

DirecTv Genie

Speakers

Focal Aria 900 Series

You need to run an optical out from the TV to your AVR in order to get audio from the TV Apps on your AVR.

Sent from my 6+

·
Registered
12 Posts
His receiver supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) All he needs to do is hook up his hdmi cable into connection 4 on his tv (this is the one for ARC) and the other end into the hdmi with ARC. I just got my tv on Friday and this is how I have it hooked up and it works great.

·
Registered
92 Posts
His receiver supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) All he needs to do is hook up his hdmi cable into connection 4 on his tv (this is the one for ARC) and the other end into the hdmi with ARC. I just got my tv on Friday and this is how I have it hooked up and it works great.
When you say hook up the HDMI into #4 on the TV are you meaning add another cable or use the existing? What or where is the ARC end?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bough this set in June. A 65. I do like it, but have severe purchase regret after a casual stroll though Costco last week. If I remember right, they had 65, 70 and 75 inch sets that all looked great, for a lot less. Does anyone else who has had this one for a while regret the purchase?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay he can use his existing hdmi cable. On the Sony x930d there are a total of 4 hdmi hookups. 1-3 are normal hdmi number 4 supports Arc. Number 2-4 are in the same area as the coax cable hookup. The coax hookup is the lowest then hdmi 2 then hdmi 3 and hdmi 4 is the highest that is the one that supports Arc. I don't know which one on his receiver he needs to hook into. It should be labeled with Arc.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I bough this set in June. A 65. I do like it, but have severe purchase regret after a casual stroll though Costco last week. If I remember right, they had 65, 70 and 75 inch sets that all looked great, for a lot less. Does anyone else who has had this one for a while regret the purchase?
If you put your set beside those at Costco, most likely you would change your mind. Unless you're upgrading to an FALD set, you got a fantastic TV.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Probably right, but that doesn't really happen at home.

I saw the side view of a FALD of a Samsung in a recent HT review. That is so fat that I'd never even consider it. Thin is in. Fat is old school.

I am enjoying a second run though Breaking Bad in (compressed) 4k. The outdoor scenes look great. Inside looks OK.

If you put your set beside those at Costco, most likely you would change your mind. Unless you're upgrading to an FALD set, you got a fantastic TV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is how I have mine setup. My Sony blue ray player is hooked up to my integra dtr 50.4. The hdmi cable from my receiver is connected to the main out on the receiver which supports Arc. I ran the cable up through my wall and into hdmi 4 on the back of the tv. When I turn on the receiver the internal speakers shut off and it runs sound through my stereo then when I shut off the receiver it turns back on the tv internal speakers.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Probably right, but that doesn't really happen at home.

I saw the side view of a FALD of a Samsung in a recent HT review. That is so fat that I'd never even consider it. Thin is in. Fat is old school.

I am enjoying a second run though Breaking Bad in (compressed) 4k. The outdoor scenes look great. Inside looks OK.
I tried to quell your buyer's remorse and you come back with that??? Bless your pointed little head. I'll take PQ over thin ANY day. I watch my TV from the front, not the side.

·
Registered
450 Posts
To each his own. These are all very incremental differences. In hindsight, I don;t think it was worth it. My question was whether anyone else felt the same way.

Having an ugly TV is going backwards to me. I do walk by the side of it. If you don't then I guess OK for you.

I tried to quell your buyer's remorse and you come back with that??? Bless your pointed little head. I'll take PQ over thin ANY day. I watch my TV from the front, not the side.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Keep in mind you need to adjust some settings to get the best picture especially inddoor scenes or darker scenes. On this tv the local dimming needs to be on or you get blooming & bleed on darker scenes. I keep mine on high & it looks great. Also I find that turning on the light sensor removes the grain or noise from near black scenes. You get a lot of recommendations to leave everything off from reviewers but those settings are there for a reason. A lot of people leave local dimming off then complain about light bleed. Duh.

4021 - 4040 of 8157 Posts