AVS Forum banner

5261 - 5280 of 8158 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seems to do it at start up and the randomly for a short time after. It started doing it about 1 week after getting it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My new X930D is doing something weird on start up. The picture cuts in and out, distorts and glitches. The sound is ok while this happens. I've attached a pic of this. Hard to catch.

Any ideas?

What's the input source? Is it one of the TV apps or an external source. Looking at the picture you might be routing through an AMP so you might want to direct-wire the source to the TV to eliminate any timing/sync issues with the AMP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does it on ATT U-verse content from external box and content from TV apps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm wondering about the pictures settings for Game mode and want to have the less input lag possible, if I use auto local dimming and x-tended dynamic range will that affect the lag in any way or should I leave it off?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The problem with the Speedtests invariable is that they are testing the connection between the Client running the test and some point on the internet (which may or may not be anywhere near your media distribution servers). The true test of the wifi is to run something like iperf locally (so you're testing the wifi , not the internet) but as you say, without a browser on the TV I can't see an easy way to test it as a 'client'

If you use the check connection option under the network settings, it checks you can see the internet but doesn't give you any bandwidth or performance info.

How are you measuring the 35Mbps number? I don't have any streaming issues on my 5Ghz wifi but am happy to run the same test for comparison.

I dont have the answer but I can tell you that this tv supports dual band wireless AC. The wired port is 100Mbps. So the wifi is actually faster assuming you have a dual band AC router and a good signal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys,

First post here. I've been thinking about buying this TV Since my current 40'' LCD Sony is 10, maybe 11 years old. (not sure the exact model year)

A few questions:

With the prices where they are now, Should I buy the 930D or wait for the 2017 models to come out? I'm guessing the new model will be $1500 more than the 930D since That's about how much the priced dropped since the release, and this would be way out of my budget right now.

My main issue is the bending problems with the TV. Seems like these things bend right out of the box. My current Sony is built like a tank and hasn't had a single hiccup in the 10 years I've owned it. I have it mounted to a full motion mount and sometimes my girlfriend will tilt it left or right depending where she is sitting in the room and I feel one wrong grab in a top corner will damage the TV.

Does anyone know if an extended warranty from Best Buy would cover the bending, because I could get a decent price on an open box and with the warranty would still be less than current MSRP.

I'm currently using and older STR3400ES receiver and S2000ES BD player. Obviously The receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant, but will the TV still work properly with the the receiver since all 4K content will be streamed right from the TV right now? I plan on buying a new receiver next year.

I don't want the 55" model since I just moved recently and the 40" looks out of place on the huge wall it's on.

Thanks

·
Registered
996 Posts
My main issue is the bending problems with the TV. Seems like these things bend right out of the box. My current Sony is built like a tank and hasn't had a single hiccup in the 10 years I've owned it. I have it mounted to a full motion mount and sometimes my girlfriend will tilt it left or right depending where she is sitting in the room and I feel one wrong grab in a top corner will damage the TV.
You know, I wish these TV manufacturers would stop this whole "let's see how thin we can make part of the TV" thing that they're doing. It doesn't do anyone any good to have the top third of the TV as thin as a pencil when the bottom two-thirds is still 1.5" thick! :) These TV's are getting so fragile that it's ridiculous - and for no real benefit. If the entire TV was that thin, that would be cool - but it's not. :)

It also seems to make it harder to avoid things like light bleed because they are making them so damn thin. In other words, they're putting form over function - again, for no real benefit other than the initial "wow, look how thin one-third of my TV is!" - then it never matters again. :) The OLED sets are the same way.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have any of you actually ran a speed test on this tv?
If so, what did you use?

I used tonuse it woth wifi, and was getting less than 20mbps on my 150mpbs fiber optic network.

I just ran a wored connection, and now i am only getting 35mpbs. Other deviced plugged into the router get full 150mbps. What is going on here?
Tv has only 100 megabit connection. Gigabit is only possible on a 3th party mediaplayer or on Wifi AC. I have 300/300 megabit and on wired I meassure 46-60 megabit on wired trouh poweline. Wired > powerline > Wifi any time of the day!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Tv has only 100 megabit connection. Gigabit is only possible on a 3th party mediaplayer or on Wifi AC. I have 300/300 megabit and on wired I meassure 46-60 megabit on wired trouh poweline. Wired > powerline > Wifi any time of the day!
This TV has wireless-AC built in and with wireless-AC, it's actually possible to get faster speeds via wireless than it is via wired. There are a lot of factors involved, but I can actually transfer files faster over wireless-AC than I can over a wired 100mb connection.

So wired is not always better than wireless nowadays! That definitely used to be the case before wireless-AC, but nowadays, wireless *can* be faster than wired.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This TV has wireless-AC built in and with wireless-AC, it's actually possible to get faster speeds via wireless than it is via wired. There are a lot of factors involved, but I can actually transfer files faster over wireless-AC than I can over a wired 100mb connection.

So wired is not always better than wireless nowadays! That definitely used to be the case before wireless-AC, but nowadays, wireless *can* be faster than wired.

But with wireless aren't all your other wireless devices (phones, iPads, etc., etc.,) sharing the wifi bandwidth and with a wired connection there's no sharing other than every device obviously sharing your overall internet connection? 100mb is more than enough to stream 4k with room to spare.

·
Registered
996 Posts
But with wireless aren't all your other wireless devices (phones, iPads, etc., etc.,) sharing the wifi bandwidth and with a wired connection there's no sharing other than every device obviously sharing your overall internet connection? 100mb is more than enough to stream 4k with room to spare.
It all depends on how many wireless devices are on your network. Wireless-AC is dual-band, so I have all of my non-media devices (phones, tablets, PCs, etc) connected to the 2.4ghz band and keep my 5ghz band for media streaming. I'm certainly not saying that 100mb wired is not fast enough - I'm just saying that wireless connectivity via wireless-AC (and even wireless-N to some extent) is also more than fast enough to support streaming ANY content. My wireless-AC router could easily support 10 devices all streaming 4k content and still have more than enough bandwidth.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with wired connections at all, but wireless is also a perfectly viable solution nowadays and will usually work just as well as a wired connection. We've come a long way since wireless-B!! ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to change the storage on the 930D or is it soldered into place? Micro or is it a ssd? I run my PC thru my Sony DN1070 into the 930D since ARC doesn't seem to carry 7.1 to the receiver. Either way video looks great but I lose rear surround when I run it through the TV first. All ways via HDMI. Is there a better way that I'm missing or is that the best option? Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi guys,

First post here. I've been thinking about buying this TV Since my current 40'' LCD Sony is 10, maybe 11 years old. (not sure the exact model year)

A few questions:

With the prices where they are now, Should I buy the 930D or wait for the 2017 models to come out? I'm guessing the new model will be $1500 more than the 930D since That's about how much the priced dropped since the release, and this would be way out of my budget right now.

Does anyone know if an extended warranty from Best Buy would cover the bending, because I could get a decent price on an open box and with the warranty would still be less than current MSRP.

I'm currently using and older STR3400ES receiver and S2000ES BD player. Obviously The receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant, but will the TV still work properly with the the receiver since all 4K content will be streamed right from the TV right now? I plan on buying a new receiver next year.

I don't want the 55" model since I just moved recently and the 40" looks out of place on the huge wall it's on.

Thanks
No one can tell you when it's the "right" time to buy, that's your decision. I can tell you that al the new sets are not going to be as well built as your old set is, they have gotten less expensive as the years have gone by, by being cheaper made...

So, I wouldn't put any 65" TV on a wall mount and constantly adjust it's position, in my opinion, you're risking damage to the set.
Now, the 930D doesn't just get bent on it's own, but being so thin it is going to be more fragile than a thicker set. They just don't "Bend out of the box" , I do think that issue has been overblown.

The 930D I have is straight and delivers a fantastic picture, but I leave it in place.

Anyway, Good Luck with whatever TV you buy and just a word of advice, buy it from a place you can return it, just in case what you buy doesn't work out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It all depends on how many wireless devices are on your network. Wireless-AC is dual-band, so I have all of my non-media devices (phones, tablets, PCs, etc) connected to the 2.4ghz band and keep my 5ghz band for media streaming. I'm certainly not saying that 100mb wired is not fast enough - I'm just saying that wireless connectivity via wireless-AC (and even wireless-N to some extent) is also more than fast enough to support streaming ANY content. My wireless-AC router could easily support 10 devices all streaming 4k content and still have more than enough bandwidth.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with wired connections at all, but wireless is also a perfectly viable solution nowadays and will usually work just as well as a wired connection. We've come a long way since wireless-B!! ;-)

Wireless could have interferences from other devices. Rather than getting a powerfull router for at least 150$, I would preffer investing that money into a shield or an AV receiver.

Wired and powerline are way more reliable and cheaper than wireless.

I am very dissapointed about the fact, that I have payed 2.5k euro on a tv with 100 megabit and a **** mediatek soc, when at that pricepoint they could have used high powered soc for a good media solution.

When I think about it. I get it that the hardware of this tv is so bad that the solution is very blatantly obvious: get 3th party mediaplayer solutions like nvidia shield and forget about the mediatek crap soc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I think about it. I get it that the hardware of this tv is so bad that the solution is very blatantly obvious: get 3th party mediaplayer solutions like nvidia shield and forget about the mediatek crap soc.
Get the Nvidia shield for the TrueHD and HDMA sound. This TV won't work with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will get the shield, but I also have to change my receiver, because it's an older generation with HDMI 1.4a.

I guess I will be content for now to buy a new receiver and a shield and I would probably wait for the xbox scorpio in order to have access to an UHD bluray player (or just buy a 4k player but that would not have the value that xbox one S has, as it allows you to casually play games with friends and the hd audio bistreaming will be soon patched).

Since I own the european version of this TV, the XD9305 I would like to add my two cents for this set:

- picture is amazing and not the picture as the scaling engine. I have watched this tv side by side with ks8000 and 9000 and the image scaling is spectacular and was the only reason I went with sony (HD content is still the most available content today so I am very interested on how my TV actually handles this as IMO any Crap 4k set will have a good image when watching 4k content)

- clouding is present but only in some combination of settings and menus (dark grey backgrounds mainly as in Netflix menu of settings and maybe in some youtube menus. For the actual content the image is spectacular and they black lvl is amazing and do not experience clouding and any other issue when watching movies/tv shows.

I would note that I had some horrible clouding issues when using high settings on local dimming and XDR and that issue was solved very clean by going with medium setting on local dimming.

The cons on this TV is the very hardware and poorly updated software.

Another big inconvenience is when using subtitles that are white. Bright wight subtitles are the local dimming killer and can ruin the viewing experience.

Question: does anyone know a good software that allows you to change the color of subtitles when watching movies? Plex is a no go, Kodi and SPCM has some issues and for now I have to watch movies without subtitles to enjoy a crisp black contrast!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Anyone have some thoughts/settings on color temperature? I've tried 10k's settings, but on HDR in particular it gives it a fairly yellow tint. Just wondering what others are using.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Posting this for a friend. He had a 930D delivered on Monday, January 2nd from Best Buy. He watched a couple of DVD movies and then noticed a horizontal line running across the bottom part of the screen (see attached photos). Best buy is replacing the set on Saturday, January 7th but he was wondering if anyone else had experienced an issue like this with their 930D.

- John

Attachments

5261 - 5280 of 8158 Posts