AVS Forum banner

5281 - 5300 of 8157 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would note that I had some horrible clouding issues when using high settings on local dimming and XDR and that issue was solved very clean by going with medium setting on local dimming.
Question: does anyone know a good software that allows you to change the color of subtitles when watching movies? Plex is a no go, Kodi and SPCM has some issues and for now I have to watch movies without subtitles to enjoy a crisp black contrast!
Hi. I am also new owner of this set (65xd9305) and also have issues with clouding. Did you only set localdimming on medium or also turned off xtended dynamic range completely? I am still searching for settings to minimize it. For the player, I'd like to know it too. I can do this on my htpc (using PotPlayer) but can't do this for HDR enabled MKVs. Also to note that i.e. Hunger games with HDR looks pretty washed out and I am much better of with the non-hdr version, no matter what I choose for the picture settings. This display simply seems to much bright and with HDR content is not able to produce deep blacks. I would love to be wrong on this one (!) :(

·
Registered
388 Posts
Has firmware updates reduced input lag any further? I was going to buy this TV but the input lag is horrible, how could sony do this! It was great in every other aspect except input lag.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930d I don't like the input lag if it is beyond 39ms.
Currently 1080P is 36, and 1080p @ 120 hz is even lower.

The marshmallow update is expected to reduce the 4K input lag from 66+ ms down to ~32 ms.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I notice it mostly on dark scenes with HDR games, but I've occasionally noticed it elsewhere.

Using 10k settings and using Morphinapg's advice on motion settings (True Cinema and High), I've noticed motion/slight stutter issues while watching season 2 of Man in the High Castle in HDR mode.

Has anyone else had problems with this? What can I change to improve the motion handling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Using 10k settings and using Morphinapg's advice on motion settings (True Cinema and High), I've noticed motion/slight stutter issues while watching season 2 of Man in the High Castle in HDR mode.

Has anyone else had problems with this? What can I change to improve the motion handling?

I've been watching season 1 and I've noticed a couple of stutter issues. I'm convinced it's NOT the TV and it's an issue with Amazon's servers or my connection. All other HDR content I've played to date does not have this issue.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi. I am also new owner of this set (65xd9305) and also have issues with clouding. Did you only set localdimming on medium or also turned off xtended dynamic range completely? I am still searching for settings to minimize it. For the player, I'd like to know it too. I can do this on my htpc (using PotPlayer) but can't do this for HDR enabled MKVs. Also to note that i.e. Hunger games with HDR looks pretty washed out and I am much better of with the non-hdr version, no matter what I choose for the picture settings. This display simply seems to much bright and with HDR content is not able to produce deep blacks. I would love to be wrong on this one (!) :(
Bad clouding here also. When I first hooked it up, I didn't notice any clouding. Then we went out of town for a few days and now I see clouding on any really dark scene. The dark scenes in ridiculous 6 on netflix are really bad. Tried turning brightness way down and adjusted everything else up down and sideways and nothing helps. Tried the massaging trick and it seems even more noticeable now. Just weird that I didn't even notice it much on menus at first, and now it's noticeable a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bad clouding here also. When I first hooked it up, I didn't notice any clouding. Then we went out of town for a few days and now I see clouding on any really dark scene. The dark scenes in ridiculous 6 on netflix are really bad. Tried turning brightness way down and adjusted everything else up down and sideways and nothing helps. Tried the massaging trick and it seems even more noticeable now. Just weird that I didn't even notice it much on menus at first, and now it's noticeable a lot.
Its even more frustrating that this is a second set with this issue (I am from europe). First set got exactly 1 pixel dead and clouding. Second set got exactly 1 pixel dead again and again clouding. First set was manufactured 4/2016 and the second 11/2016. No change whatsoever, these were just like I unpacked the same television again... including the Mediatek chipset (the older one, cant remember the number right now). The defect pixel I only discovered with eizo monitor test program.
Third set is arriving on Friday and I will report here any changes. I almost start to get used to the clouding. As this was on significantly high discount (20%) I will probably still keep the TV even its the same :confused:.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yeah. Not sure what I want to do . Either exchange it, or just return it, and hope the x850 goes back to a va panel. The new 930 will be out of my price range for about a year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
XDR does not influence clouding form what I have seen but I have killed that setting anyway for good measure.

For me turning the light sensor off and toying with local dimming was the way to go.

Also turning local dimming off did not do anything for me and the difference between off and low is the difference from grey to black so it's a deal breaker to off the dimming.

I have watched Marco Polo on Netflix and I am convinced the HDR looks great, but be sure you dont't have subtitles enabled. If colors are washed out it may be a problem with the RGB settings, because usually TV sets can only work with RGB set on limited.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Currently 1080P is 36, and 1080p @ 120 hz is even lower.

The marshmallow update is expected to reduce the 4K input lag from 66+ ms down to ~32 ms.
You have a source for this information? I just did some research and at first I was almost sure I wanted the Samsung until I saw the dark room viewing, 930d clearly superior.

They got it wrong here, it is really the KS9000 which is practically identical in terms of picture quality/viewing experience as the 8000/8500, only more money because it is a higher end looking design.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2692161-does-anyone-here-have-samsung-ks8000-ks9000-series-vizio-p-series-2016-a-4.html

Even though I don't have both sets, this is my analysis from what I have researched and seen on youtube, recent post.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I really just need confirmation that the update will reduce 4k input lag to 30-37ms on all settings including [email protected] [email protected] and 4k+HDR+4:4:[email protected] I am trying to find a source saying that input lag will be reduced to this range as a previous person claimed.

4K @60 4:4:4 and 10 or 12 bit (required for HDR)? That's beyond the HDMI bandwidth spec. How do you think you're getting that to the TV?
4K 60 4:2:2 w/HDR would be your limit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
so since the X930E has Dolby Vision support now, would an update make it available for the X930D, or is it a hardware thing?

·
Registered
268 Posts
so since the X930E has Dolby Vision support now, would an update make it available for the X930D, or is it a hardware thing?

Hardware.

Reactions: qwank

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yeah. Not sure what I want to do . Either exchange it, or just return it, and hope the x850 goes back to a va panel. The new 930 will be out of my price range for about a year.
If you do decide to wait nearly a year - please consider the 940D as I own both. You may be space limited. But if possible it would be worth it due to the FALD. The price for my 940D was less than three fingers. Discounts will arrive if you time it right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have any of you actually ran a speed test on this tv?
If so, what did you use?

I used tonuse it woth wifi, and was getting less than 20mbps on my 150mpbs fiber optic network.

I just ran a wored connection, and now i am only getting 35mpbs. Other deviced plugged into the router get full 150mbps. What is going on here?
Tv has only 100 megabit connection. Gigabit is only possible on a 3th party mediaplayer or on Wifi AC. I have 300/300 megabit and on wired I meassure 46-60 megabit on wired trouh poweline. Wired > powerline > Wifi any time of the day!
Wi-Fi spec speeds are always incredibly fast on paper but never are as stable or fast as a wired connection.

·
Registered
34 Posts
XDR does not influence clouding form what I have seen but I have killed that setting anyway for good measure.

For me turning the light sensor off and toying with local dimming was the way to go.
Also turning local dimming off did not do anything for me and the difference between off and low is the difference from grey to black so it's a deal breaker to off the dimming.
I have watched Marco Polo on Netflix and I am convinced the HDR looks great, but be sure you dont't have subtitles enabled. If colors are washed out it may be a problem with the RGB settings, because usually TV sets can only work with RGB set on limited.
Yep, light sensor was the first thing i turned off too.
I'd say its the whole picture which is much more bright in HDR which is killing the black. I have that regardless of the TV goes automatically to HDR mode (=detects itself the HDR content when playing movies i.e. from USB) or playing over the htpc. Htps is on RGB + full dynamic range, the video card is 1050ti.
Attaching some pictures of my clouding problem...

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yep, light sensor was the first thing i turned off too.
I'd say its the whole picture which is much more bright in HDR which is killing the black. I have that regardless of the TV goes automatically to HDR mode (=detects itself the HDR content when playing movies i.e. from USB) or playing over the htpc. Htps is on RGB + full dynamic range, the video card is 1050ti.
Attaching some pictures of my clouding problem...
I've been seeing similar clouding on my unit, in the same four places. I'm set for an exchange tomorrow and in preparation, I did a Factory Reset to wipe all my personal info and settings. To my shock, the clouding problems improved greatly! Now, it's still visible on certain content, and the opening Android animation still shows it very vividly (while other users here have reported perfect, uniform blacks on the startup animation on their unit, so we know there's still an issue of some sort), but a great deal of the shorts that used to trigger the clouding now play beautifully.

This made me realize something: I only initially noticed the clouding as a major issue after I'd updated the firmware an hour or so after I’d gotten the set a few weeks back. With the new firmware, the black level had become elevated, to a point where I had to go in the menu and drop it to 35 or lower, on just about any picture setting, in order to regain the inky blacks I’d had before.

Now with the factory reset having been done, which I presume also reverted the unit back to its earlier firmware, the blacks are inky again - set at 50 - and the clouding is considerably less apparent. I’m unsure what to make of that, but it’s worth noting as it may be an anomaly with this specific unit’s response to the newer firmware, or perhaps something more widespread.

Did you only begin to notice the clouding as a serious problem after you'd updated your set's firmware?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you only begin to notice the clouding as a serious problem after you'd updated your set's firmware?
I just remembered that on earlier TV sets it was recommended to do full reset AFTER the firmware update to make sure we are starting blank and clean (same like on PC mobos). It will be the first thing I do after returning from work today :). Thanks for the idea!
Actually, the photos I posted are from before the firmware update, so I am sure I had that problem since beginning on both sets I had already, But never did factory reset. Will post findings soon.

5281 - 5300 of 8157 Posts