AVS Forum banner

6441 - 6460 of 8174 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only problem that I've had is that about 50% of the time I need to manually switch the TV from "TV speakers" to "Audio system." The X930D with the new firmware seems to really want to use its internal speakers, and I'm not aware of any way to forcibly disable the speakers (like I've done with previous TVs). I suppose I could switch to using one of the other (non-ARC) inputs, and then forget about the built-in apps...
Post update, I've found the internal speakers vs audio system handling much better. Before updating, I would randomly have the TV speakers preferred on start up. There is a setting in the new software (settings, sound, audio system prioritization) that wasn't there before. I enabled this right after updating, and it's worked perfectly since. Always starts up the audio system. I am using a Sony sound bar, but you might want to try enabling this. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, brand new to the forum.
I have been reading some good info.
I know I'm not an "owner" so I apologize if I shouldn't be posting.
But what the heck, doesn't hurt to ask.

I had narrowed my searches down to the X930D or the Vizio P65-C1.
Coming from a 2008 or 2009 model Panasonic 720p 42" Plasma with zero problems to date. Selling the tv with the house.

This thread is making me re-think buying a Sony.
The 940D gets pretty bad reviews about failures from Amazon, but I figured that is due to non-authorized retailers, refurbs, etc etc.
Bestbuy gets pretty good reviews for the 940D.

If I buy a Vizo P65 from Costco with their two plus two program, that would be a 4 year warranty.
If I buy a 940D from any authorized retailer with my Discover card, effectively a Sony would have a 2 year warrant, which worries me.

Failure rates by nature are reported right away online where positive outcomes and problem free units receive much less mention.
But nonetheless, seems like there are a lot of failure reports here.

For you owners of the 940D, would you still recommend I buy one? or stay away from sony.
I have a Sony 3d bluray player, got a good deal on black friday. May as well get a 3d tv before they are extinct right?
The 940D can be bought at B&H right now for 1399 which is right at my pricepoint. Has HDR-10 support, 3d, great picture, YPBPR inputs, optical out, a real remote, smartapps, etc.

When first researching (have done a ton) the Samsungs looked real nice, but it seems their quality control department is non-existent and a unit won't last over 2 years.
LG doesn't seem to put a lot of quality into their non-oled units, and their failure rates are very high as well.

Too bad Panasonic exited the U.S. market.

Anyhow, this is my first post here. Sorry to be long. Thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Post update, I've found the internal speakers vs audio system handling much better. Before updating, I would randomly have the TV speakers preferred on start up. There is a setting in the new software (settings, sound, audio system prioritization) that wasn't there before. I enabled this right after updating, and it's worked perfectly since. Always starts up the audio system. I am using a Sony sound bar, but you might want to try enabling this. Hope this helps you.
Are you referring to the 'Audio system prioritization' option under the Sound settings? I've enabled that. It did not eliminate the behavior that I described. I'm using a circa-2014 Yamaha RX-A2040 A/V receiver. I wouldn't be too surprised if behavior improves (or changes) with a different or newer A/V receiver.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are you referring to the 'Audio system prioritization' option under the Sound settings? I've enabled that. It did not eliminate the behavior that I described. I'm using a circa-2014 Yamaha RX-A2040 A/V receiver. I wouldn't be too surprised if behavior improves (or changes) with a different or newer A/V receiver.
That's the one, sorry it didn't work for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I have the Sony 75x940D. Can I connect a power subwoofer to the TV without using a receiver? If so, how?
My old TV has a subwoofer output (RCA) where I can connect to my subwoofer using an RCA cable. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hello, brand new to the forum.
I have been reading some good info.
I know I'm not an "owner" so I apologize if I shouldn't be posting.
But what the heck, doesn't hurt to ask.

I had narrowed my searches down to the X930D or the Vizio P65-C1.
Coming from a 2008 or 2009 model Panasonic 720p 42" Plasma with zero problems to date. Selling the tv with the house.

This thread is making me re-think buying a Sony.
The 940D gets pretty bad reviews about failures from Amazon, but I figured that is due to non-authorized retailers, refurbs, etc etc.
Bestbuy gets pretty good reviews for the 940D.

If I buy a Vizo P65 from Costco with their two plus two program, that would be a 4 year warranty.
If I buy a 940D from any authorized retailer with my Discover card, effectively a Sony would have a 2 year warrant, which worries me.

Failure rates by nature are reported right away online where positive outcomes and problem free units receive much less mention.
But nonetheless, seems like there are a lot of failure reports here.

For you owners of the 940D, would you still recommend I buy one? or stay away from sony.
I have a Sony 3d bluray player, got a good deal on black friday. May as well get a 3d tv before they are extinct right?
The 940D can be bought at B&H right now for 1399 which is right at my pricepoint. Has HDR-10 support, 3d, great picture, YPBPR inputs, optical out, a real remote, smartapps, etc.

When first researching (have done a ton) the Samsungs looked real nice, but it seems their quality control department is non-existent and a unit won't last over 2 years.
LG doesn't seem to put a lot of quality into their non-oled units, and their failure rates are very high as well.

Too bad Panasonic exited the U.S. market.

Anyhow, this is my first post here. Sorry to be long. Thanks
you might get a better response from the 940d thread?

I think the 930d is a pretty great edge lot tv, but the 2017 E series really looks like a winner across the entire line. Personally I'd rather have a 900e than my 930d

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sony is pissing me off. I have been fighting with Sony about the issues I'm having. Not only that. But they looked at my pictures which has lines, banding, blooming, a distorted picture, purple ghosting. I mean this thing is bad.. So I sent them the pictures and they told me that it was supposed to look like that and Sony denied me the exchange. WTF??? then another issue that popped up was, all these colored lines on the android home screen after they told me to update to marshmallow to fix the problems. Guess what? didn't help. I'm gonna keep calling them and complain. I didn't spend 2k last year to get this ****ty service. I will be making a video soon. I tried a factory reset different hdmi cords, usb ports, settings.. everything. Nothing worked.. Here are the pics after the update. I'm gonna try to contact a lawyer and open up a case if Sony wont do anything about it. What do you guys think.. Is it suppose to look like this? lol
We went through two 850's and one other 930 before we found ours. We love it, but SONY has serious QC issues that need to be addressed. When you spend $2K on a TV, or any other consumer good, it should be of very high quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 930D has been updated to 6.0.1 MMB29V.S4 3.709

Watching movies on Amazon Prime and there was significant lag, hope I'm defining it properly. It was a stuttering in the movie we watched.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well looks like new batteries did the trick... Weird was working perfectly fine before the update. Happy all is well. Incidentally, the remote is a lot more responsive post update - with these new batteries.
Could it possibly be that removing the batteries reset the remote, or did you test the batteries by chance and were they low?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Could it possibly be that removing the batteries reset the remote, or did you test the batteries by chance and were they low?

It was completely the batteries. Tried resetting the remote before changing them. I've only had the set for five months. No big deal: just glad it's working fine now. This update seems to have smoothed out a lot of little things here and there. The set seems to work better all around after it. I'm glad they finally released it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It was completely the batteries. Tried resetting the remote before changing them. I've only had the set for five months. No big deal: just glad it's working fine now. This update seems to have smoothed out a lot of little things here and there. The set seems to work better all around after it. I'm glad they finally released it.
Glad to hear it worked out, was simply curious about the batteries.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Even though the new MM update has been the most stable yet I was still having issues with the action menu popping up every once in a while. It would make the sound after I pressed the button but it wouldn't display. I decided to factory reset the tv and it seems to have resolved the issue so far. For anyone who received the v6 update coming from v5 I would recommend a factory reset just as a precaution since this was a major update but thats up to you. For reference here is a high level of what I did.

factory reset
connect to wifi and google account (There is a new process for this with the MM update)
disable live channels app when prompted
force kill and disable notifications on sony select and sony shelf apps
change input labels
change picture settings
change sound settings
install personal apps

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Replacement TV

For those who have had issues with their 930D and been issued a replacement, what has been your experience?

I I described in a previous post, after an attempt to fix a TV that wouldn't power on, Sony communicated they would send me a 900E. I gave them all my information and even had to give them my credit card info. I was told my credit card would not be charged as long as the TV exchange was successful and the broken 930D was not found to be tampered with. Then Saturday I received a phone call from a Ft Meyers, FL number. I didn't pickup because I don't answer if I don't know who it is. A receive a voicemail stating it was Sony and wanting me to call back because my ticket "qualifies for an advanced exchange." I call back within 5 minutes and receive a message their offices are closed on the weekend. Strange then that I get a call from a live person on Saturday. But whatever. So this morning I call them back as soon as their office opens. I was then informed my exchange had not been processed and their were very few notes on my account. WHAT?!?!

I calmly explained that I had already spoken to and agreed upon an exchange for a 900E. I was then put on hold while the CSR spoke to a manager. While I'm on hold I get a call from the Ft Meyers number again. Sony is calling me while I am on the phone with them. They leave another message and then I get an email, still while on hold with Sony, stating I need to call them to setup an exchange for the repair that was unsuccessful. :eek:

The Sony CSR comes back on the phone and tells me that I need to confirm I am ok with getting the 900E again because the 900E does not support 3D. I did not realize this last Friday, but no remember that Sony said they were dropping 3D at the beginning of 2017. Since no Sony TV is available with 3D, I asked if there was anyway possible I could be reimbursed for the Sony 3D glasses I purchased. Well, that was going to be another call. First they needed to confirm I was ok with the 900E.

Doesn't make me feel good that I spoke to a CSR last week about getting a 900E and giving them my credit card info, then receiving two phone calls stating they needed me to call and then finding out they didn't have my info. I understanding sometimes communication can get crossed when working with a big company. But this experience has confirmed this is the last Sony TV I will purchase. Between the time I've had to spend at home for a missed service call, a service call where the guy showed up late, multiple phone calls, Sony misplacing my personal information, two failed TV units and 3D glasses that I'm going to have to take further steps to either sell or get a refund, this is not what I imagined when I purchased a TV five months ago. This all could happen with Vizio or Samsung, but I've never found out because all four of my Samsung TV's are still functioning perfectly.

...Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sound on the X930D is poor. One obvious issue is the downward direction of the speakers. I've improved the sound by placing an angled piece of cardboard under the speakers to project the sound out into the room. This improves the listening experience by 60-70%. Then by adding a bit of felt to the cardboard the sound is more natural but still not the best.

Anyone ever try to improve the TV sound changing the angle of projection? I'm looking for ideas to bring out the base without sending the signal through my audio system. It's interesting how different materials will seem to amplify and morph the audio just with reflective devices.

I do have a Yamaha receiver that's on most of the time so this little DIY project is not a must, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has monkeyed with improving the sound on a X930D.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The sound on the X930D is poor. One obvious issue is the downward direction of the speakers. I've improved the sound by placing an angled piece of cardboard under the speakers to project the sound out into the room. This improves the listening experience by 60-70%. Then by adding a bit of felt to the cardboard the sound is more natural but still not the best.

Anyone ever try to improve the TV sound changing the angle of projection? I'm looking for ideas to bring out the base without sending the signal through my audio system. It's interesting how different materials will seem to amplify and morph the audio just with reflective devices.

I do have a Yamaha receiver that's on most of the time so this little DIY project is not a must, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else has monkeyed with improving the sound on a X930D.
Agree the 4 7.5 watt speakers are not great. Ive played around with it a bit myself. Questions:
Do you have yours wall mounted?
What sound setting are you using? I think the default is standard but I find that cinema sounds better and is a tad louder.
Also there is a sound setting that you can only get to from the android menu that lets you chose either wall mounted or table top. Mine is wall mounted but I bounced between these two I found no noticeable diff so I left with default.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm using the standard (default) setting for sound. But could work with other settings; good idea. My TV is on a stand but I guess if yours is on a wall you'd have a greater number of possibilities for deflecting the audio.

I was thinking that bouncing sound off a rubberized material might add interesting sound properties. However, tweaking the TV setting may be the next step for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope, definitely not supposed to look like that. Might be a dumb question but have you tried escalating up the Sony chain of command?
We called two times. The first time they denied me the exchange and din't honor their warranty when talking to a rep.. The second time we spoke to a tech and he told me to update my firmware to fix the issues I was having and to call back if that didn't help. But after the update it made it even worse. I'm calling again today and showing them more pictures I took. I'm not going to let this one go cause they're in the wrong here in so many level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is seriously messed up.

It must be dependent on who at Sony you talk to - so, I mentioned a few posts above, I'm getting some banding now on my set which I find quite distracting - called Sony, and after unplugging the TV and letting it sit then plugging back in, then doing a factory reset, and still having the issue (DUH!) - the guy I spoke to was ready to issue a replacement set!

You've got a strong case for a replacement, ask them to escalate your case within Sony if you haven't already??
I'm calling again today. I'll ask them to talk to someone more higher up. This is getting so frustrating. Sigh* Worst experience ever. If Sony doesn't make it right. I'm never be purchasing Sony again.

6441 - 6460 of 8174 Posts